Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevelle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm glad this band finally decided to get a little weird. I mean, they've always been a little darker than their peers, but it finally sounds like they're willing to push some boundaries, and they sound damn good doing so. To me it sounds like they're finally cashing in on their potential. This is more than the typical Chevelle record.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea, they started with the weirdness around the SFC days, but this is what I've been waiting for for so long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The weirdness is a good thing. I finally had some time to sit down with this album and some good headphones. It rocks so hard. The experiments with different styles and general creepy vibe of the album really work. The absence of soaring choruses and catchy melodies was a little shocking on my first listen. But after being able to digest it I don't think it makes the songs any less powerful. An Island is a monster, as is Ouija Board and Choking Game. One Ocean and Twinge area very good slower songs as well.

Chevelle have been very consistent with their albums and their decision to branch out and change it up a bit is respectable. I can't wait to see what these songs sound like live.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I'm actually planning to pick this album up today, based on all the positive feedback awarded it here and elsewhere on the internet. I think the last Chevelle album I actually paid for was Vena Sera back in 2007. I still enjoy that one; Saferwaters and I Get It are excellent songs.

I'm excited to hear how weird Chevelle gets on this one..
    If anything, it is their heaviest and most power driven album since VS. The album is just very fresh with it's sound.. and it's been years since Chevelle was this angry .

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I bought the CD today on my way to my internship and was pleasantly surprised to hear track segues. The copy I had been listening to had each track end naturally before the next track. It helps to make it sound more like an album rather than a compilation.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Damn it, I've burnt myself out on the album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Damn it, I've burnt myself out on the album.
    I'm getting there.

La Gargola is looking to debut at #3 on the Billboard 200. They deserve it. Hell of an album.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea, I had to give it a rest for about a week since my go to music in my car was La Gargola every time. #3 is HUGE on the top 200. Not to mention.. the #1 single in the country right now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Damn solid album, I love the rawness of the guitars, little bits of feedback and noise, and that they didn't try and make things so polished. Also glad they've put a couple ballad-y type songs on, felt like they were missing that on the last couple records. When HOTTB came out, I was in shock that Glimpse of the Con was given "bonus track" status. At least it was on the CD though I guess.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Damn solid album, I love the rawness of the guitars, little bits of feedback and noise, and that they didn't try and make things so polished. Also glad they've put a couple ballad-y type songs on, felt like they were missing that on the last couple records. When HOTTB came out, I was in shock that Glimpse of the Con was given "bonus track" status. At least it was on the CD though I guess.
    Yea man.. they stopped using pro tools and that polished sound since Vena Sera. They used an old analog tape deck to record most of La Gargola . Cannot stop listening to "An Island" and "Hunter Eats Hunter".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    "Ouija Board" and "An Island" were in heaviest rotation for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, that part in An Island, "Force you to GO!"....gets me every time.

Choking Game is currently my favorite. The last half of that song rocks so hard.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    Man, that part in An Island, "Force you to GO!"....gets me every time.

Choking Game is currently my favorite. The last half of that song rocks so hard.

Literally one, if not my favorite moment on the album. When he hits the riff the third time and adds that distortion.... it's probably one of the heaviest riffs I've heard in a long time; it is the epitome of a musical explosion .

And yes.... Choking Game is one of the best. I love how it sounds like two different songs once the end comes in.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Literally one, if not my favorite moment on the album. When he hits the riff the third time and adds that distortion.... it's probably one of the heaviest riffs I've heard in a long time; it is the epitome of a musical explosion .

And yes.... Choking Game is one of the best. I love how it sounds like two different songs once the end comes in.
    Although not my favorite track, one of my favorite moments is when Pete holds a scream near the end of "Hunter Eats Hunter" and you can hear his voice strain a bit. Every time I hear that I get chills because of how raw, yet powerful that sounds.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Although not my favorite track, one of my favorite moments is when Pete holds a scream near the end of "Hunter Eats Hunter" and you can hear his voice strain a bit. Every time I hear that I get chills because of how raw, yet powerful that sounds.
    Yes.. you really have to listen to this album with headphones or a good system because there is so much going on in the background you cannot hear. Hunter Eats Hunter I believe is the best song on the album.. but yes, the rawness of this album and his voice really packs a punch this time around. Wish there were bonus tracks .

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Very cool to hear that La Gargola hit number 3 on the billboard top 200. It stayed at #1 for hard rock, alternative, and top rock albums for 3 weeks against some stiff competition. Just glad to see the guys are back to form with all the crap that is on the radio these days.. just my opinion.

Seems like Hunter Eats Hunter will be the next single off the album. The downside is it will be cut short for a radio edit so I hope they don't butcher it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    New single: Joyride (Omen)....digging it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Damm, you beat me to it. This single is miles away from what they did on La Gargola, even though that album was pretty rad. Cannot wait to see them this August and see what's in store for the new album. Very strong here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Agreed, I loved La Gargola but this is a much stronger lead single than Take out the Gunman. I attempted to pre order the new album last night but their servers crashed due to heavy traffic. I was finally able to pick up the CD/vinyl after about three hours.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Awesome song! I had been waiting for this and it did not disappoint.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Agreed, I loved La Gargola but this is a much stronger lead single than Take out the Gunman. I attempted to pre order the new album last night but their servers crashed due to heavy traffic. I was finally able to pick up the CD/vinyl after about three hours.
    Same here! Cool that they issued a vinyl package this time around. I ordered pretty early, so hopefully I get an autographed copy.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    great song. VERY Tool-ish at times (so what else is new though right?). One of the best & most consistent radio hard rock bands out there.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 05-14-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    great song. VERY Tool-ish at times (so what is new though right?). One of the best & most consistent radio hard rock bands out there.
    I always think Tool on Sci-fi Crimes and Jars.

New song is also good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Same here! Cool that they issued a vinyl package this time around. I ordered pretty early, so hopefully I get an autographed copy.
    Turns out due to the site crash, the band will be signing all pre-ordered albums (CD and Vinyl)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Turns out due to the site crash, the band will be signing all pre-ordered albums (CD and Vinyl)
    Yesss, just read that. They are pretty hands on with their fans which is pretty awesome. I feel like the special edition cover would have been just fine without the little boy on it. I believe the little boy is Sams son believe it or not :P.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm a little late with this question, but are there two different versions of La Gárgola? The copy I have on CD has segues between tracks, but I also have a FLAC copy on an external drive with full endings to each song. When I was still subscribed to TIDAL, they had the non-sequenced version uploaded. I just found it fascinating that both exist, and was curious if this was intentional or not.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm a little late with this question, but are there two different versions of La Gárgola? The copy I have on CD has segues between tracks, but I also have a FLAC copy on an external drive with full endings to each song. When I was still subscribed to TIDAL, they had the non-sequenced version uploaded. I just found it fascinating that both exist, and was curious if this was intentional or not.
    There are two different versions, but I believe it wasn't really announced. It was intentional, but it wasn't really brought to light. Awesome that you realized this. On the other hand, here are two more songs released as of late:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When Chevelle go out on tour with Bush this summer, does anyone know who goes on first? When they toured in 2011, Bush closed the show, at least the one I went to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Judging by the songs released so far, this is shaping up to be their heaviest album yet. But I don't think heavier necessarily means better. I'm hoping this album doesn't end up being completley loud, screaming and in your face because I really think Pete is great at writing hooks and melodies. I dig Joyride and Rivers....Young Wicked still has yet to really grow on me.

With that being said I'm still very much hyped for this album.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I hear that, but I feel he has been taking the melody approach for awhile now. He said in an interview with billboard that he knew right away how he wanted the new album to sound which was heavy heavy. I think they needed to get this out of their system before they start experimenting some new sounds again. Plus, the fans have been asking for it.