Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Chevelle

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wight rabbit View Post
    Yeah man. That one was fucking STUNNING. That was the one I had.

Whoever did the song writing for that record has a legitimate god given gift for the craft. Their music is so...idk, it's like, SERIOUS. It sounds IMPORTANT, at least on that record.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by "Elevenism
    Whoever did the song writing for that record has a legitimate god given gift for the craft.
    That is all Pete. He writes all the lyrics with a few exceptions from Sam. This is my all time favorite effort from them.

As heavy as La Gárgola is, that album actually turned me off of Chevelle for a while. I felt like it came off simultaneously as trying too hard and not trying enough (the latter applying more to the lyrics). The North Corridor is probably my favorite album as it feels more natural to me.
    Whattt, complete opposite for me. I feel La Gargola is more focused and driven all around. Songs like Ouija Board, An Island, Hunter Eats Hunter, and Choking Game (Which is sort of two songs in one) just all feel much more cohesive. Even the lyrics give a haunting vibe... There is just more meat to the tracks here.

The North Corridor sounds forced, lazy, and quite forgettable to me. Besides Young Wicked and Joyride, there isn't much variety with some song structures feeling exactly the same. This feels like they were burnt out from Gargola and simply ran out of ideas lol. It's my least favorite Chevelle album.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-23-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    That is all Pete. He writes all the lyrics with a few exceptions from Sam. This is my all time favorite effort from them.

Whattt, complete opposite for me. I feel La Gargola is more focused and driven all around. Songs like Ouija Board, An Island, Hunter Eats Hunter, and Choking Game (Which is sort of two songs in one) just all feel much more cohesive. Even the lyrics give a haunting vibe... There is just more meat to the tracks here.

The North Corridor sounds forced, lazy, and quite forgettable to me. Besides Young Wicked and Joyride, there isn't much variety with some song structures feeling exactly the same. This feels like they were burnt out from Gargola and simply ran out of ideas lol. It's my least favorite Chevelle album.
    Interesting. I might have to give them both a listen back to back and see if my opinion changes. I definitely do like some of the tracks on La Gárgola, but songs like Jawbreaker sounded corny to me.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Interesting. I might have to give them both a listen back to back and see if my opinion changes. I definitely do like some of the tracks on La Gárgola, but songs like Jawbreaker sounded corny to me.
    Hahaa, that was a "What were they thinking" moment for me. I will say that Warhol's Showbiz is a fun little track with a really cool sounding little solo in the bridge. I'm listening to them now back to back to see if my opinion changes lol.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This album FUCKS.

Way way better than North Corridor, and has all the Gargola vibes. This is the first time Chevelle has done instrumental bangers since Point #1 right?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This album FUCKS.

Way way better than North Corridor, and has all the Gargola vibes. This is the first time Chevelle has done instrumental bangers since Point #1 right?
    They did this track which was originally a bonus track for Sci-fi Crimes. Other than that, you're right.

Just went through my first listen and this is by far the best material they have put out. Everything sounds focused, carefully crafted and placed, and doesn't even sound like Chevelle at times. Sleep the Deep is the only track that doesn't fit so I'll try to throw that in somewhere else if I can. Pete's vocals are heightened, all the instruments sounds tight, the vocals can be turned up a bit for sure. Lost In Digital Woods also caught me off guard and the way it borrows from something else on the album really hits... I won't go too far into that track because I want whoever is a fan in here to hear it for themselves.

Btw... I'M ON MY WAY TO MARS.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-05-2021 at 02:04 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Oh hell fucking yeah this album rocks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    great album, don’t care too much for the instrumentals but other than that it’s pretty solid

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I threw Sleep the Deep before Lost in Digital Woods and it works so much better for me. Why they didn't let it bleed into Self-destructor is beyond me.

VVormhole can arguably not be a track, but for me, it just adds to the theme and I'm a sucker for tracks that bleed into each other. Piistol Star/VVormhole/Peach is a very nice cohesive little piece.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    To me, you can really hear how much Pete liked that last TOOL album. They've always had a smidge of that TOOL sound, but it's super overt on this album. And honestly Pete's voice has never sounded better than it does on this one.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    To me, you can really hear how much Pete liked that last TOOL album. They've always had a smidge of that TOOL sound, but it's super overt on this album. And honestly Pete's voice has never sounded better than it does on this one.
    There are a lot of little things he does with his voice in here that I love; it sounds incredibly clean. Honestly, it is the most Toolesque they have sounded since Point #1, but it still has that Chevelle sound in it. If anything, I would think Pete listened to past Tool albums instead of the new one from what I hear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Album fucking kills. Chevelle has given me Tool-lite vibes in the past, but they might be doing it better here. Also love the return to big melodic vocals.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've given this album a few listens now, and yeah... it's one of their best. Really digging it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Goddamn Pete sounds like 2002-era Maynard on this record more than ever lol especially on Ghost and Razor -- Not a dig. I love it.

This record is pretty great, really diggin it. Some great bangers and Pete (as I mentioned) sounds better than ever on this one.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Chevelle

I think this album definitely took over as my favorite.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    This album FUCKS.
    What does THIS even mean!?!?!? I don’t know!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    What does THIS even mean!?!?!? I don’t know!!!
    The album fucks other albums?

But who can say what anything actually means when nothing is real and this is a simulation

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The first 3 tracks really do not let up. The album has heavy, there is a lot more melody (At their best imo), there is slow, weird, and I am all for it. It is most definitely a Chevelle record, but that is not a bad thing being known as one of the most consistent rock/alt bands out there. I need a TOUR!

There are track by track breakdowns on the itunes section for the new album.
    https://music.apple.com/us/album/niratias/1545068576 (Click read more)
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 03-10-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is really good, but it needs another listen today. "Peach" gives me "Prison Sex" vibes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This album's got me going back and revisiting their whole catalog, and goddamn, they don't have a single turd. I admittedly didn't like The North Corridor when it came out, and haven't listened to it since... until today. I'm not sure what stick was up my ass in 2016, because it's a fucking banger. Shame on me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Doing a re-listen to the discography and I never really noticed it but yeah he's got a MJK thing going on vocally.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I never really noticed it but yeah he's got a MJK thing going on vocally.
    No kidding? Pretty much where the Tool resemblance comes into play since Chevelle got big about 20 years ago. Dude simply has a similar voice, kind of why Greta Van Fleet always gets compared to Zeppelin (although I think GVF’s music is more similar to a LZ too than Chevelle is to Tool).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, you want to drift a little further you got this APC-sounding band from the middle-aughts.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Would be excited to see a Chevelle show when the world opens up. They would likely play alot of this excellent record, along with plenty of their bigger old stuff. Would be awesome. Always nice when you really dig & want to hear live the new material from a band that's been around as long as they have.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Would be excited to see a Chevelle show when the world opens up. They would likely play alot of this excellent record, along with plenty of their bigger old stuff. Would be awesome. Always nice when you really dig & want to hear live the new material from a band that's been around as long as they have.
    Fucking agreed man. I have been watching some old live shows on the tube, and they are so darn tight. Love that Pete mixes up the riffs and vocals and even adds little change ups to keep it feeling fresh; Mars Simula and Verruckt would sound absolutely killer. They have a new touring bassist from the band Aeges: Kemble Walters, so excited to see what he brings.

Really hard to read this latest interview with Pete. It's about time they stray away from Epic and do their own thing. https://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/42...ade-Any-Money/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Had this damn album on repeat since release to my surprise. ITS JUST SO DAMN GOOD and sticky.

I can't help but cranking every song -- and I am smitten with Pete's vocals on Ghost & Razor. That fuckin track is top notch.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New video for Mars Simula!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So Long, Mother Earth is so fucking good. This album had staying power. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    So Long, Mother Earth is so fucking good. This album had staying power. Great stuff.
    I'm still trying to figure out what my favorite track is! The vocals alone put So Long at the top. Pete said there is a version of Verruckt that has lyrics... I'm dying to hear it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Doing some socially distanced shows with Sevendust.