Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: European ETSrs!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

European ETSrs!

Hey everyone! I'm a student from Canada who has been thinking about moving to the U.K, Germany or Denmark once I have finished my degree. I have heard the cost of living is high in Europe, but here on the West Coast of Canada, it's pretty high too, (Vancouver is one of the most expensive cities in North America: think Manhattan of Canada). Would anyone recommend a move to Europe? Also, I only speak English so the U.K is my main choice. Any recommendations on nice, affordable cities in the U.K? Also, how hard would it be to get a job in a non-English speaking European country?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I think if you only speak English then your choice is much wider than just UK. In Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium you will have a hard time finding someone who doesn't speak English.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    My worry was finding meaningful work. I wouldn't want a language barrier preventing me from getting a decent job while I was there. If I were to move, I would want to stay for a significant portion of my life, if not the rest. Prague and Warsaw are also on my list. I have read Prague is cheap while Warsaw can be quite expensive.
    Last edited by icecream; 02-03-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think they're both cheap by Western European standards, but Prague is notoriously cheap. The Scandinavian countries have very high costs of living.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Researching cost of living does show Prague to be really cheap, but my main concern is finding decent work. Low cost of living generally means low paying jobs too, I'm worried about getting stuck with a shit job because I'm an imigrant . Lots of people from Eastern Europe seem to be moving west which tells me there isn't much opportunity there. That's another reason the U.K is my main choice.

As for the Scandinavian countries, they would be appealing too but the weather is putting me off (I'm from the not cold winter part of Canada). As a poli sci and econ student I love the Nordic models of Social Democracy! But the high cost of living worries me. Not that I dont want to pay higher taxes or anything, just if I move there and can't afford to live, I might have to come back home right away. That would defeat the reason for me leaving.

I have been looking at Glasgow and Bristol the most. London, but it's waaaaaaay too expensive, unless I can get a decent job there. Dublin too, that might be a nice place. I just haven't looked into it much.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Lots of people from Eastern Europe seem to be moving west which tells me there isn't much opportunity there. That's another reason the U.K is my main choice.

As for the Scandinavian countries...Not that I dont want to pay higher taxes or anything
    Yeah, you need to do more research!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Yeah, you need to do more research!
    Economic Growth in Eastern Europe: http://www.focus-economics.com/en/ec...Eastern_Europe
    I'm aware that the U.K's growth is lagging too, but Canada isn't much better and will probably do worse over the next few years.

Nordic Model: http://www.norden.org/en/about-nordi...-welfare-model
    I'm not sure what you were disagreeing with me about.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dublin is as expensive as London. Ireland is also an expensive place to live in general.
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 02-04-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Dublin is as expensive as London. Ireland is also an expensive place to live.
    I see, that's too bad. Ireland looks like a beautiful place.