Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick and Morty

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Rick and Morty

Adult Swim's new show, Rick and Morty is fantastic, so I decided to make a thread for it.

There's only 6 episodes thus far, and each episode tops the last one.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's about Rick who is an old alcoholic-mentally unstable- scientist who reconnects with his family and takes Morty, Rick's 12 year old grandson, with a messed up home life out on adventures through time and space.

In my opinion, this is easily one of Adult Swim's better original shows. The characters, The pop-culture reference jokes, the voice acting and drawings are all really great.

Full episodes can be found on Adult Swim's official Youtube channel.

The newest episode "Rick Potion #9" has proven that it can have some pretty complex story lines even just for a cartoon that's only 22 minutes long.

So has anyone seen it? To those who have seen it, thoughts about it so far?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    this show is awesome. My favorite episode so far has been the Mr Meeseeks one. Just brilliant.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yes! This is the best new thing on television! The Cronenbergs! I hope they keep it up.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    BAD NEWS EVERYONE! There will be no new episode this week, they're re-airing Lawnmower Dog.

But yeah, this is the best new show I've seen in ages, and Season 2 has already been unofficially confirmed as of 2 weeks ago. 2 separate writers tweeted and posted it on reddit and promptly deleted those comments a day or 2 after M. Night. Shaym-Aliens aired.

Meeseeks and Destroy was so good. It's so refreshing to see a show take a great idea and give it to the B story while the A story wasn't the main focus. Despite being and Adult Swim cartoon, it still built on the background characters a LOT. The most recent episode was great, too. Justin Roiland said in their ComicCon panel that there would be SOME serial episodes in the show, I'm pretty certain that that just started when Rick & Morty hopped universes. I'm assuming over the next few episodes Morty and Rick (reluctantly) will be trying to go back through other universes to correct the one they left.

I could go on about this show for days. I love every aspect of it. I don't know what it is, but I haven't been this excited about a new show since Breaking Bad started 6 years ago. I hope this one gets at least a handful of seasons, if not RICK AND MORTY FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS RICK AND MORTY ADVENTURES DOT COME FOR A HUNDRED TIMES RICK AND MORTY

The only thing I don't like is that they seem to have cut down on Ricks alcoholism and/or belching in the last few episodes, which I thought was hilarious in the first 3-4 episodes.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 01-31-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm hoping this will be the second Adult Swim show I can actually stand. Harvey Birdman is all I can stomach of their main animation offerings.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    I'm hoping this will be the second Adult Swim show I can actually stand. Harvey Birdman is all I can stomach of their main animation offerings.
    Frisky Dingo was great too

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I couldn't stand Frisky Dingo. Same with The Boondocks, Black Dynamite, Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken, Venture Bros, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Moral Orel and Sealab 2021. I don't know exactly what it is but there's something really off putting about them shows, I can't stand to be in the room if they're on. Jersey Shore/Kardashian shit is the only other programming that does that too me (though they aren't similar in the least).

But aaaaanyway. I just watched the Pilot for Rick and Morty and laughed once (when Rick said the guys chasing them were "robots" and Morty had to shoot them). Episode two was great though. Never trust a pilot.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I've always admired Adult Swim's ability to produce totally bizarre outlandish shows that would never get the greenlight any where else. Even if I don't personally like a lot of those shows, I have to admire them for doing whatever the hell they feel like and getting away with it. Its probably be the most creative place on TV.

This show isn't as outlandish as some of the others but it could be there best piece of original content. Even when it's not funny, it provides an interesting adventure story, to follow. I'm never bored, I'm usually amused. That last episode was one of the best episodes of anything, ever. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they top it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I hate how now that I basically watch Rick and Morty religiously, they don't air a new episode this week.

Also whoever does the ad marketing for Adult Swim deserves an award. This is just plain awesome.

Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 02-03-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: grammar!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Are you fucking shitting me!??!??!?!?!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    After what feels like forever, we finally got a new episode of Rick and Morty and it was hilarious.

I'm glad to see that every family member gets their own lengthy screen time. It seemed like from the past 6 episodes that Summer doesn't get much attention.

Next weeks episode looks hilarious too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Best new show on TV hands down. I just got into it right before they came back from the break.

Last night's was great. I loved how all the channels were mostly improvised.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Best new show on TV hands down. I just got into it right before they came back from the break.

Last night's was great. I loved how all the channels were mostly improvised.
    That fake doors commercial had me in stitches, it was spectacular. Also, I would totally watch Ball Fondlers.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Now that is how you end a first season. Not anything climatic, just good ol' fashion partying. This last episode really shows how truly careless Rick really is. The Beth and Jerry part of the story wasn't that great imo, but every scene with Rick and Morty was hilarious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just marathoned this show in 3 days or so and I'm in love, best thing I have watched in quite awhile. Well, except maybe True Detective, for totally different reasons.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I found this show on HuluPlus and cannot stop watching it. I believe my wife and I finished the entire season in less than two days. It's especially amazing while high. I absolutely cannot stress enough how much I love the style of humor, the subtle jabs at certain groups in our society from social justice warriors to neocons, and the dialogue and how much of a sarcastic asshole Rick is. I honestly believe that Jerry is not actually as dumb as everyone believes and that it's just confidence issues that hold him back.

Anyone else excited for season 2 to start? It's supposed to be at the end of the month but I have no idea when it will get up on Hulu.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The first two episodes of season 2 actually leaked a while ago, and they aare epic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You can also download the balloon popping game which you see Jerry play on 'Something Ricked' in the apple app store

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    tried watching this the other day and i honestly hated it (i don't say that about a lot of things). the "humor" made me incredibly uncomfortable, it was gross (and not in a fun way), and pretty offensive. also, i can't detach morty's voice from lemongrab (from adventure time) who i find to be the most unsettling character i've ever seen in anything.

people keep telling me to "keep trying" and "the show gets better" but also warning me about the frequency of rape jokes, etc., and i'm just like "why would i keep forcing myself to watch something that makes me feel terrible?"

i will say that the animation style is really great, so it has that going for it :: shrug ::

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You'd have to be pretty sensitive to find the humor "offensive." This is one of the least offensive adult comedies out there. I've never heard any rape jokes in this show. They do take a couple subtle jabs at sensitive pussies who can't handle comedy and social justice warriors who think certain words are offensive but it's all done in a pretty witty manner that even they should handle if they have a sense of humor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I didn't enjoy the first episode either. I loved every other ones though.

At least, watch episode 4. And 5. AND 6. AND 10.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Or put on your big girl panties and watch all of them and try lightening up. The first ep definitely isn't the best but there's a few funny jokes here and there. Like when Rick gives Morty the gravity boots and doesn't tell him how to work them until AFTER Morty attempts to use them and falls off of a cliff.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_Bastard View Post
    You'd have to be pretty sensitive to find the humor "offensive." This is one of the least offensive adult comedies out there. I've never heard any rape jokes in this show. They do take a couple subtle jabs at sensitive pussies who can't handle comedy and social justice warriors who think certain words are offensive but it's all done in a pretty witty manner that even they should handle if they have a sense of humor.
    Or put on your big girl panties and watch all of them and try lightening up. The first ep definitely isn't the best but there's a few funny jokes here and there. Like when Rick gives Morty the gravity boots and doesn't tell him how to work them until AFTER Morty attempts to use them and falls off of a cliff.
    i didn't insult the people who like the show, so why are you insulting me? with ridiculous gender-based attacks, nonetheless. you can have a discussion without being an utter jerk, yeah? if not, then sorry i bothered trying to discuss something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i didn't insult the people who like the show, so why are you insulting me? with ridiculous gender-based attacks, nonetheless. you can have a discussion without being an utter jerk, yeah? if not, then sorry i bothered trying to discuss something.
    Please point out to me where I was specifically aiming any insults at YOU.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Please point out to me where I was specifically aiming any insults at YOU.
    You'd have to be pretty sensitive to find the humor "offensive."
    and i am sensitive, which i admit.

They do take a couple subtle jabs at sensitive pussies who can't handle comedy and social justice warriors who think certain words are offensive
    uh huh

Or put on your big girl panties and watch all of them and try lightening up.
    yeah, that's not insulting at all! also, how do you know i'm not a girl? either way, this is a ridiculous insult.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I said "you'd" as in you would. Do you not know how hypotheticals work? Your second example was another generalization.

The last example is just a saying that I hear girls tell me even though I'm a male. If that's just too much for your fragile heart to handle, then maybe comedy just isn't for you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've never heard any rape jokes in this show.
    Watch the Meeseeks episode again.

It's a great show, but definitely not or everyone. Fans of classic sci-fi and horror will probably enjoy it a lot more then the rest (almost all of the season 1 stories base their main plot around spoofing a book or a movie, occasionally some relatively obscure ones).

I agree with the first episode being strongly weaker than the rest, I usually introduce it to people with "Lawnmower Dog".

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I said "you'd" as in you would. Do you not know how hypotheticals work? Your second example was another generalization.

The last example is just a saying that I hear girls tell me even though I'm a male. If that's just too much for your fragile heart to handle, then maybe comedy just isn't for you.
    Hi.

I see you're being a jerk for no reason. Play nice or otherwise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I checked out the Meeseeks episode again. I see the rape joke. It wasn't really a joke. The King Jelly Bean dude was actually just evil.

Play nice? I'm not being a jerk. I honestly don't understand what's fucking offensive about this show or why a joke is bad just because someone is too fucking sensitive to handle it. Maybe just bother with some safe shitty sit com like the Big Bang Theory.