Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Barbie

This actually looks awesome:

It's rated PG-13, so this isn't for kids. Looks more like a deconstruction, similar to The Brady Bunch (1995) movie.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    From what I understand of the plot, I rather like the concept... but I have zero interest in actually watching (not because of the content mind you, just not all that interested in it as a whole).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's nice to have a bananas, off-beat comedy. Most new, mainstream movies seem to be Marvel, DC, Disney or horror.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This was amazing. Sad that our culture paints Oppenheimer as the artsier movie, when Barbie is far more challenging and artsy in own right. Ironically barbie even includes a sequence that jabs at the way out culture upholds hyper masculine movies, and metatextually here, Barbie vs. Oppenheimer is a blatant example of how feminine movies have a tendency to not be included in the canon. It's a fascinating coincidence that Barbie would be put up against Christopher Nolan, who's movie are notoriously sterile and hostile towards whatever few women they may contain.

The whole movie is a fairly intense and aggressive feminist manifesto that impresses most with how unapologetic it is. It struggles towards the end, though. It has a messy and unfocused climax that features a lot of on the nose monologues and quite a bit more telling than showing, but it is through and through, and enjoyable movie. It's incredibly bizarre and sharp.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This was amazing. Sad that our culture paints Oppenheimer as the artsier movie, when Barbie is far more challenging and artsy in own right. Ironically barbie even includes a sequence that jabs at the way out culture upholds hyper masculine movies, and metatextually here, Barbie vs. Oppenheimer is a blatant example of how feminine movies have a tendency to not be included in the canon. It's a fascinating coincidence that Barbie would be put up against Christopher Nolan, who's movie are notoriously sterile and hostile towards whatever few women they may contain.

The whole movie is a fairly intense and aggressive feminist manifesto that impresses most with how unapologetic it is. It struggles towards the end, though. It has a messy and unfocused climax that features a lot of on the nose monologues and quite a bit more telling than showing, but it is through and through, and enjoyable movie. It's incredibly bizarre and sharp.
    Did you see Oppenheimer too?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Did you see Oppenheimer too?
    I'm still on the fence about seeing it. Ive heard great things but I've seen soany movies like and the aforementioned aspects of the cultural conversation kind of run me the wrong way. I may end up seeing it someday. I still haven't seen tenet

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I'm still on the fence about seeing it. Ive heard great things but I've seen soany movies like and the aforementioned aspects of the cultural conversation kind of run me the wrong way. I may end up seeing it someday. I still haven't seen tenet
    Well you mentioned above that you were annoyed it was getting more art cred than Barbie so I thought you had seen them both. Was going to ask which you recommended more.

I'm also a bit put off by the hype. Of both of these tbh. That doesn't affect the value of ether movie but it just feels like 2 movies coming out the same day, both with HUGE corporate interests behind them that are making them seem like the savior of modern cinema. I'd bet that neither is going to be close to the actual best films that come out this year. I'd love to be wrong though.

I like a lot of Nolan's films but the ones I've really liked seem to be more the result of having been written by his brother than they are by his slick style of film making. I also have not seen Tenet but I'm slightly more interested in this one for some reason.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Well you mentioned above that you were annoyed it was getting more art cred than Barbie so I thought you had seen them both. Was going to ask which you recommended more.

I'm also a bit put off by the hype. Of both of these tbh. That doesn't affect the value of ether movie but it just feels like 2 movies coming out the same day, both with HUGE corporate interests behind them that are making them seem like the savior of modern cinema. I'd bet that neither is going to be close to the actual best films that come out this year. I'd love to be wrong though.

I like a lot of Nolan's films but the ones I've really liked seem to be more the result of having been written by his brother than they are by his slick style of film making. I also have not seen Tenet but I'm slightly more interested in this one for some reason.

I'm sure they are both great, I just think Barbie deserves to be view through the same artistic and appraising lenses as Oppenheimer or even to be treated as the more creative film
    I will say that I've been to the movie more in general this year, and while Barbie is based on a reliable IP it and Openheimer are, after all, original movies with no prior continuity. And I think that is nice. In that sense they both represent something positive for the entertainment industry. I had fun at those sequels as well though.

I've been hearing a lot about how movies have been getting buried in the tangled, war torn battlefield that is streaming. Hopefully the success of these two movies really does mean something for the industry as a whole.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Some reviews have said that the movie is mean-spirited and misandrist (which I never got from looking at the previews). Thoughts?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    originally i was going to take my 9 year old daughter but when i saw the pg-13 rating i decided to watch it first before letting her see it. i will say that me and my adult friend were the only ones laughing at certain parts which tells me my kid probably won’t get a lot of the movie.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Some reviews have said that the movie is mean-spirited and misandrist (which I never got from looking at the previews). Thoughts?

The Critical Drinker destroys it entirely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post

I woudn't trust this guy to make my hamburger at McDonalds. Hack is too light of a word for him.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Is this actually good?

I've been very dismissive of it up until recently, and only just checked out the trailer now, and I'm surprised the trailer does look somewhat clever and funny.

Is this actually worth seeing?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I can see why some people on the conservative side of the “political” spectrum would call this misandrist, I didn’t take it that way, although it has a very strong message against patriarchy, and rightly so. I liked that this movie dealt with complex themes in a fun way, and I don’t have children, but one thing that I came out thinking after the movie was “how will I explain my children this or that scene?”. And yes, like @sweeterthan mentioned, there were a lot of scenes where I was laughing and the little girls were not. First scene, I hear the music to 2001 Space Odyssey and then I see the obvious tribute to it and I cracked up, 1 minute into the movie, no one else around me was laughing. Nice Blade Runner reference as well! I quite liked it, although yes, the climax is not that strong, but overall it was a breath of fresh air. Seeing Oppenheimer on Tuesday, really excited about it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    just got home from the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I can see why some people on the conservative side of the “political” spectrum would call this misandrist, I didn’t take it that way, although it has a very strong message against patriarchy, and rightly so. I liked that this movie dealt with complex themes in a fun way, and I don’t have children, but one thing that I came out thinking after the movie was “how will I explain my children this or that scene?”. And yes, like @sweeterthan mentioned, there were a lot of scenes where I was laughing and the little girls were not. First scene, I hear the music to 2001 Space Odyssey and then I see the obvious tribute to it and I cracked up, 1 minute into the movie, no one else around me was laughing. Nice Blade Runner reference as well! I quite liked it, although yes, the climax is not that strong, but overall it was a breath of fresh air. Seeing Oppenheimer on Tuesday, really excited about it.
    yup, I certainly can. The rant in there about women and how fucking impossible it is to be anything because you have to be both that and it's antithesis was pretty strong. like, it's going to cause some man babies to have to think about how women are treated and they're going to reject that premise because it's easier to think of themselves as the Ken character with horses and brewskis.

also, I was looking up who the woman in the middle was - spoiler, she's Ann Roth, the costume designer for the film - and I saw this headline: Ben Shapiro Ridiculed for 43-Minute Anti-‘Barbie’ Tirade: ‘Went to Harvard Law School and Spends His Time Like This’ and I can't be happier, other than having to look at his rat face to read the article.

I loved the film, I loved how it refused to take itself seriously - the Ken-off scene - and at the same time probably one of the most serious films I've seen - see above RE the woman speech.

I'm not providing that channel traffic just to be pissed off, but thanks so much for sharing.
    Last edited by allegate; 07-23-2023 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Rhetorical question: What's with all these middle-aged dudes DESTROYING Barbie?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    originally i was going to take my 9 year old daughter but when i saw the pg-13 rating i decided to watch it first before letting her see it. i will say that me and my adult friend were the only ones laughing at certain parts which tells me my kid probably won’t get a lot of the movie.
    I took a 7 year old and she loved it.

Also why do conservative libertarian motherfuckers always try to make their points by just posting like one long ass video no one is going to watch? It's no way to conduct a conversation, guys.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 07-24-2023 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    loved it. I didn't have much of a desire to see it but my gf liked Barbie as a kid and we both enjoyed it. A lot deeper of a movie than I expected...some of it is up front, other more introspective. the set design was great.color palettes vibrant. soundtrack fitting. some parts of it dragged for me but I'd give it a good 7.5/10 . it was great to see something different.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was expecting it to be better than it was, for some reason I was expecting some solid satire akin to a pink Robocop, maybe it was all the hype, but I laughed, and I had fun. The movie tried to be about too many things at once, and that made it feel a bit scattered. I don't think that any of it is as poignant as a lot of "cultural commentators" on YouTube are going to make it out to be. Ben Shapiro and Tim Pool will have their "take down" videos, then Sam Seder and friends will have their responses to that, every one generates traffic to their channels until the next thing happens

Some standouts:
    Ryan Gosling as Ken
    Kate McKinnon as Weird Barbie
    America Ferreira Woman Speech
    Remembering that Will Ferrell is great in small doses

Now, off to see a man about a bomb!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Is this actually good?

I've been very dismissive of it up until recently, and only just checked out the trailer now, and I'm surprised the trailer does look somewhat clever and funny.

Is this actually worth seeing?
    I really liked it. Halfway through I was talking to myself, kind of trying to u understand it and it hit me " oh this is fight club for girls and woman" and I stand by that. It's fucking fight club for woman, which is fantastic! I'm looking forward to it coming to 4k so I can watch it again

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    After thinking about it overnight, I think the only performance that seemed strange was Ken played by Kingsley Ben-Adir, aka the lead Skrull in Secret Invasion. He always seemed like he was tagging along - which he was, of course - but like tagging along to the actors, not the story/scenes.

You should Google Barbie sometime, it's kind of neat.

I was reading about the different Barbie characters and saw Hari Nef's name. Turns out she played a character on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel called L. Roy Dunham. It was interesting because:
    Confused, Midge pulls the lady card and asks L. Roy why she's attacking her so much. After all, wouldn't L. Roy, of all people, understand what Midge is going through? That making it as a woman in their respective career fields in the '60s was like trying to walk through a desert with only a drop of water?

L. Roy isn't remorseful about her Midge coverage. She argues that her hit pieces about Midge are actually bolstering her own career. Midge walks away, shocked that a woman would step on her back in order to advance in her own job as a journalist.
    that's pretty much the exact message the movie has at one point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zur En Arrh View Post
    I really liked it. Halfway through I was talking to myself, kind of trying to u understand it and it hit me " oh this is fight club for girls and woman" and I stand by that. It's fucking fight club for woman, which is fantastic! I'm looking forward to it coming to 4k so I can watch it again
    I had a moment during the film where I was reminded of Fight Club and The Shining. The photo of everyone in a group looking at the camera? I was kind of hoping that they would have gotten a Brad Pitt cameo in there.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    I woudn't trust this guy to make my hamburger at McDonalds. Hack is too light of a word for him.
    the level of unfunny this guy's videos contain is off the charts. I could see these appealing to younger people that haven't seen this style or delivery a million times like we have.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Can't see this for another three weeks (my schedule and my wife's just do not jibe much right now), but I can't wait. In Gerwig we trust.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Ryan's been killing it this year.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I saw it over the weekend and loved it! I didn't think I would have liked Ryan Gosling as Ken, but he totally nailed it.

Spoiler: The Indigo Girls & Matchbox 20 songs were great. And I wonder how many little girls will ask their parents, "What's a gynecologist?" Haha

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I saw it over the weekend and loved it! I didn't think I would have liked Ryan Gosling as Ken, but he totally nailed it.

Spoiler: The Indigo Girls & Matchbox 20 songs were great. And I wonder how many little girls will ask their parents, "What's a gynecologist?" Haha
    Not mine! But we were prepared to answer this question lol

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw it tonight, loved it and found it surprisingly poignant. I also found nothing misandrist about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saw it last night. It's The Matrix in pink. With a mostly similar message and while poking fun at toxic masculinity - as well as being somewhat critical of its feminine flipside.

The shoehorned in "megacorporations aren't really that bad, just misunderstood" bit at the end was very jarring, though. Even for a movie made by megacorporations about the personification of a commercial product.
    Last edited by stankeybearlover; 08-08-2023 at 11:49 AM.