Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I think we should take everything we learn from Wayne's p.o.v. with a grain of salt. It's evident that oldest Wayne is suffering from either Alzheimer's or some form of dementia which makes him an unreliable narrator.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Apparently Niccy P. Shut down that angle. He said that there aren't any tricks in the narrative like that.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Apparently Niccy P. Shut down that angle. He said that there aren't any tricks in the narrative like that.
    Sad, because that would have been pretty brilliant.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The kid's mom might be involved too. She apparently wrote the note.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    !!!!!

Big time forward motion tonight. Great acting by the two character actors playing the dad and the uncle too.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So it seems like the real red herring here was Spoiler: the kids secret friend. Who turns out to be probably the cloudy eyed black dude. Perhaps he moved the body, but I truly don't think he hurt those kids

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the dude who showed up to the book signing.....was he the same cloudy eyed black dude or a different guy? I'm leaning towards different?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Wrong eye!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Pink room giving off some Lynch-ish vibes at the end to me. Brilliantly creepy stuff which has been lacking a little this season, compared to the first anyway.

The 2015 stuff is a little hard for me to watch, having aging parents of my own. They aren't forgetting stuff as bad as Hays is but it still connects somehow. For someone just in his 40's, Ali is pulling off the old-age stuff incredibly well. Dorff too, who I hope will get a boost in Hollywood because of how brilliantly he's pulling this off.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yes, this is probably my favorite episode out of the bunch so far. One camera trick I love is when they make it seem as if past Wayne is seeing future Wayne in real time, or looking at himself in reflections; it is very well done. Ending of the episode was fantastic, along with that creepy ending! Really hope the season goes out with a great payoff. Plus, they're already talking about making another season and I can dig that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Have yet to watch this season but I'm glad to see some nods of approval here. I'll probably avoid this thread until i get thechance to see it myself.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Well I was super wrong about that red herring lol

Spoiler: my new possibly wrong theory is now that Julie is a replacement daughter for the hoyts.... Right?

And there's this! At the eleventh hour .. oh boy https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetecti...a_a_different/
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 02-18-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Dear god...
    I have enough theories and ideas to fill about ten pages. And, while I'm sure most of them are wrong, I've been thrilled that I was right about some.
    I'm also loving some of these easter eggs.
    I would discuss it here, but don't feel like fucking with spoiler tags right now.

For the record, btw, I feel like this season is exploring the possibility of elite pedophilia.
    Remember when the creator told people what to Google to see that something like the first season DID happen?
    I have a feeling that he could do.the same with this season, and he'd be telling people to look at J. Epstein and such. Ugh.

At any rate, this is the best show on tv, whether the above is correct or not.
    It's just SO. FUCKING. GOOD.

It MAY be better than season 1: it's hard to say. Matthew Mc and Woody teaming up was a dream come true. If one of the actors WASN'T one of those two,as in, if either of them weren't in it, I think I'd prefer this season.

If you're avoiding this one because you didn't feel Season 2, WATCH IT.
    It's a return to form. Season 2was aight, but it just didn't feel like the same show to me.

THIS one does.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Just got caught up with this over the weekend, and I think it's pretty cool.

Some of the early episodes felt just a little too slow, which isn't something I normally find myself feeling about shows. I generally enjoy a good slow burn. But I couldn't help thinking it would have been better if the season was slimmed down to six episodes. But maybe that's just me. Or...I feel like they could have justified the slow pace by showing us even more of the broader community. I feel like they didn't do quite as much of that stuff with this season as they did with season one, like traveling through neighborhoods, interviewing random civilians, getting a real sense of how these people live. Could have done with more of that kinda stuff instead of, I don't know, 12 minutes of dialogue from Wayne and Amelia's first date. Still, I have enjoyed the show, by and large.

By far the high point for me has been that scene with the pink room. That shit was so fucking tense and ominous, and I also loved how it seemed vaguely unreal. Wish there were a little bit more scenes in that vein.

As someone who wasn't crazy about the final stretch of season one (basically the last three episodes) I'm glad they haven't fucked this one up so far, and I hope they stick the landing on this last episode.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think it would have been a lot better without all that clean cut exposition.

Spoiler: Other than that I liked the ending. I like how it explored the way the case got in the way of all of the characters' relationships, and it wasn't until it was over that Hayes could really be with his family. I really enjoyed the scene at the end with Julie, but it would have been even better if it we're imbued with the further abiguity of not knowing exactly why Hayes was there.

Did Hayes really have an episode right when he met her, or did he think it better not to bring everything back up for her? I like that question. It turns out Julie was the only one who ever really escaped her own kidnapping case
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 02-24-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I think it would have been a lot better without all that clean cut exposition.

Spoiler: Other than that I liked the ending. I like how it explored the way the case got in the way of all of the characters' relationships, and it wasn't until it was over that Hayes could really be with his family. I really enjoyed the scene at the end with Julie, but it would have been even better if it we're imbued with the further abiguity of not knowing exactly why Hayes was there.

Did Hayes really have an episode right when he met her, or did he think it better not to bring everything back up for her? I like that question. It turns out Julie was the only one who ever really escaped her own kidnapping case
    Spoiler: do you mean to say you'd prefer that it didn't have the ambiguity?
    I think you make a really good point about Julie being the only one who actually escaped the case. And I DON'T think Hayes had an episode. I think he decided that he didn't want to hurt her.

As for me, the more I think about the ending, the more I like it. It subverted my expectations. I expected some massive, crazy conspiracy, connected with the cult from the first season.
    Instead, it was fairly, as you said, "clean cut," and revealed that the show was more about what the case did to Hayes and everyone he cared for. It seemed to have a bit of " when you dance with the devil, the devil doesn't change; the devil changes YOU. " I also felt like it was making a bit of a meta statement about our collective obsession with crime and criminals, (like the True Criminal show within a show,) and I think that maybe, it was saying that this obsession isn't good for any of us.
    I also thought it was interesting for the threads it DIDN'T tie up. What happened, for instance, to Hayes' wife?
    I have a feeling that this ending will be read in a lot of different ways, and that all sorts of theories will abound.

All in all, it was a good ending to an incredible series, and I hope we get another one before too much longer!
    This thing should win a bunch of awards.
    And how about Ali winning an Oscar while the show was airing? I wonder if anyone has done that before?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This was really great, I do like the thought of her as the only one that escaped the event.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Jesus what a fucking finale. It went the complete opposite direction of how I expected it to end, and I fucking love that.

Here's my biggest question that I had following the ending, though:

Spoiler: Wayne disappearing into the jungle at the very end: Wayne retreating further into his own dementia? or Wayne dying? It's followed right after Wayne watching his grandchildren ride their bikes (also a visual throwback) suddenly changes his body language, while the camera zooms into his eye. So something obviously happens there.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Jesus what a fucking finale. It went the complete opposite direction of how I expected it to end, and I fucking love that.

Here's my biggest question that I had following the ending, though:

Spoiler: Wayne disappearing into the jungle at the very end: Wayne retreating further into his own dementia? or Wayne dying? It's followed right after Wayne watching his grandchildren ride their bikes (also a visual throwback) suddenly changes his body language, while the camera zooms into his eye. So something obviously happens there.
    I got so many different feelings from that ending Spoiler: The glowing light as him and Amelia are leaving the bar made me think of the end of Jacobs Ladder when him and his son go through the door at the end. Also, for a second I was thinking maybe Amelia was dead at some point, but then thought maybe Wayne has been this entire time? The end made me feel like he never left Vietnam.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I got so many different feelings from that ending Spoiler: The glowing light as him and Amelia are leaving the bar made me think of the end of Jacobs Ladder when him and his son go through the door at the end. Also, for a second I was thinking maybe Amelia was dead at some point, but then thought maybe Wayne has been this entire time? The end made me feel like he never left Vietnam.
    Bingo. I'm convinced of that too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Bingo. I'm convinced of that too.
    There is a strong theory about that...this is paywalled.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...the-whole-time

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsy-j3HAQ_B/

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ I completely forgot Rachel McAdams was in S2. I need to watch it again at some point down the road.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is a GREAT interview with Stephen Dorff.

https://www.businessinsider.com/step...eason-3-2019-2

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    This is a GREAT interview with Stephen Dorff.

https://www.businessinsider.com/step...eason-3-2019-2
    I was just about to post that. I've been a fan of his way before he was in Blade; I first saw him in The Gate, a movie he did when he was 12 ( and if I'm not mistaken, @Jinsai is also a fan of the film). Dorff is a great actor and as he says in the article, his career has taken a different path than most. I was pleased to see that so many people were enjoying his work in True Detective.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    He def. had an episode when he got to her house. If he just had a change of heart about blowing up her spot, he wouldnt have needed to call his son to come get him.

I love that the son seems like he will most likely track this down himself.

Now that we know the seasons are all in the same world, wonder what season 4 will bring.

Ali deserves an Emmy for this. What an absolute master class in acting. And to hold this entire thing together on his own shoulders (Dorff was great but his role was much smaller) for over 8 hours of TV....what a task. And he nailed it. Dude is untouchable right now...from Moonlight, to Luke Cage season 1, and now to this (I assume he's great in Green Room too but I'm not watching that Oscar-bait bullshit).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    On episode 2. I'll report back in a couple days.

*Fucking amazing. Those interviews were great. I'll definitely be watching this season again.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 03-02-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Updated

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Do not read this until you're done. Pizzolatto explains everything.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ies-explained/

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    That Dorff interview was great. Love the feeling of professional vindication he's feeling from the success of the show. His honest answers re: the Hollywood stuff was compelling too. Nice to hear an actor not just give stock answers when it comes to who gets roles, auditioning, etc...part. someone as well known as him.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Finally finished the season from ep. 4. Wish I didn't. Pizzolatto needs to stop if this kind of garbage is the only thing he can up with now. I had to fastforward the last 30 minutes, and I wish I had done so in the earlier episodes. But I was stubborn, and I kept thinking myself no, I may miss an important detail. Hahahahahaha.

A quarter of this season was about how a bad husband gets together with a bad wife. Two egotistical assholes, yet Pizzolatto thought that we will care about them. They were using and abusing eachother throughout the whole season, and every episode they "had to talk", because things were not okay between them. he grandpa Hayes timeline was boring from the beginning, but once we learned that the woman, the wife he was sobbing over was just as shitty as him, it really lost all emotional power. I mean sure, people die, it is sad, but to witness his misery every single episode.... bahh.

Whatever, the detective part of the season fell apart just as well. From a very interesting first few episodes, we've reached a point where everyone was beating around the bush. "You know, the thing you know, and I know, THAT thing, that very important thing we can not name yet, because it will be revealed 2 episodes later, so now we are just calling it the thing, but after that, we will constantly repeat the actual thing, because then we will not be hindered by ths shitty script. You know Hayes, THAT thing." Wow, what a thrilling discussion to be witnessed numerous times in an episode. Also, what started out as a misery turned out into dumb plot twists. Yes, if you are being extremely obnoxious with the clue and how it unfolds, it creates a mistery. A very fucking shitty one which should never be aired on HBO, but hey!

I would go on, but I'm just glad this shit is over. The lost children's parents were great, and same goes for the Indian guy. Also, when Hayes and West were together in the first two timelines, I enjoyed those as well. I guess the scary stuff were done right too, because, well, I was scared, but I had to laugh during the last episode when they played that ominous music over a relationship argument. I was like holy fuck, will they reveal something, like they were the bad guys??? No, just some high-school drama.

3/10 - watch the first 2-3 episodes, then read the tl;dr of what happened, and be happy that you saved yourself ~5 hours from your life.