Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

True Detective

I am surprised to not find a thread about this.

Season one stars Matthew McConaughey,Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Michael Potts, and Tory Kittles, and utilizes multiple timelines to trace two Louisiana State PoliceCriminal Investigations Division homicide detectives' hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana across seventeen years.The premiere season debuted on January 12, 2014 and will consist of eight episodes.

The first episode has exceeded expectations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really liked the first episode. McConaughey was really good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Watching the premiere right now. Clarke Peters just showed up as the minister. It'd be cool if he was a recurring character. It's good. McConaughey doesn't always impress me but he's doing a mighty fine job here.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just got back from vacation this morning and can't wait to watch this...heard it's fantastic!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    fucking great show!
    love the atmosphere, great acting and setting
    can't wait to see where this goes
    totally into this show

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Awesome episode tonight.

"In Two Weeks". Fucking football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bumping for Spoiler: amazing Alfonso Cuaron level 6 minute single shot of action

this show just blew my mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That may have been the best hour of television I've ever watched.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah that episode was awesome. This may be the most tense series I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fuck my life it was so good, my wife and I were flipping the fuck out.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just keeps getting better and better. I get sucked in literally every episode with this show.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury View Post
    Bumping for Spoiler: amazing Alfonso Cuaron level 6 minute single shot of action

this show just blew my mind.
    Thought the same exact thing
    Frigging amazing episode, so tense!
    Each episode gets better and better... gotta agree, most intense show on television

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This show is bordering on Breaking Bad levels of pure fucking badassery. Can't believe what this show has accomplished in literally just FOUR episodes. Amazing.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    "You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch."

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    "With all that dick swagger, you can't spot crazy pussy?".

Favorite line of the whole series so far.

McConaughey, love him or hate him is an amazing actor in my book.. totally lights up the screen on this show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm confused though. Maybe i have to re-watch last week's episode (ep. 3), but what about what happened at the end of it? That wasn't acknowledged at all in this week's episode.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by all3n_y View Post
    I'm confused though. Maybe i have to re-watch last week's episode (ep. 3), but what about what happened at the end of it? That wasn't acknowledged at all in this week's episode.
    I agree. I was expecting them to meet that psycho last episode.

I guess it was a bit of teaser as to whats to come.

Bad asssssss episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The single-shot is amazing. They had to use a crane for the camera-man during a few portions (like hopping the fence).

Amazing performances, fully-realized characters, and an appreciation for period-specific elements and Southern Gothic literature.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeters View Post
    The single-shot is amazing.
    That was my first experience with this show, as I don't have HBO. Not the episode, that SHOT. Blew me away, well on par with the Dunkirk beach scene from Atonement, or the car scene or end scene from Children of Men.

They did it 7 times and then did pickups to catch stuff they may have wanted later, but then put it in the episode uncut! Amazing...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Remind me to stop watching amazing shows as they air because the week wait between episodes is brutal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    this show is fucking amazing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I gathered quite a bit from the last episode. What an amazing mindfuck this show is. Read below:

Spoiler: I think Rust has figured out the case (after realizing that Reggie wasn't the yellow king) and gone into deep undercover once again. He cut up all the cans of Lone Star and made five figures out of them. He must have been stonewalled by the higher ups who are involved and had to go into hiding because of it. The reverend Billy Lee Tuttle is definitely a suspect of mine, mostly because he mentions to Cohle and Hart that a "war" is happening behind the scenes and he is definitely a higher up. There are a few reasons that make me think Rust has figured out the case, one being this picture: http://i.imgur.com/5ncTvfK.jpg%3F1 that was seen inside of Dora Lange's Aunt's house (where they found the wooden triangle in the shed). The other being the naked barbie doll surronded by five other men: http://i.imgur.com/hYLTTUo.png. Rust definitely knows now and he is trying to bring down the big men involved.

Just a theory, but we'll see what happens next week!
    Last edited by BrewHa; 02-17-2014 at 02:44 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I knew it before I even watched a fucking episode (because there is no way you get this duo to do this kind of show unless it's flat out excellent) but this show is borderline genius and the acting is downright clinical. Both of them have been so spot on in their career choices lately it's scary. 8 episodes is not nearly enough. I waited as long as I could and just railed off the first 4, and will watch the last 4 week to week. I definitely see Shea Wigham being more involved in some way as far as the case goes, unless it's a red herring, but you don't bring in a guy like that unless you plan to use him.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I need to watch all of it again, I'm missing too many details.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I need to watch all of it again, I'm missing too many details.
    It's definitely a show that requires your full attention at all times.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    SPOILERS A PLENTY!

So Hart caught my eye in the latest episode. Anyone think it was weird how he didn't wanna take prints from the public phone or how he shot that guy? It seems like anger but he could've just been silencing him. Earlier on in the series he tried to dismiss all crazy talk in the diary, didn't wanna hang around in the church and he pulled Cohle away from that school building before he could go in.

Now, his daughter... Sexually abused? In episode 1 or 2 Hart and his wife talk about the sexual drawings she made, and now she's caught in a car about to have a threesome with a couple older guys? Either one by itself isn't too suss but to include both... When I was looking for that first school scene I came across the part when Hart is at his in-laws. His father in law said a cool line... "I've seen kids today, all in black, wearing makeup, shit on their faces. Everything's sex". Hart responds with something about all old men thinking that then they die, a cool line at the time, but even better after Cohle's whole "everything happens again and again" stuff.

Anyway, seeing that scene made me think maybe Hart didn't abuse his kid but his father-in-law did? He's an old rich dude who could be in the inner circle with other old rich dudes in power we've met in previous episodes. If they're the big bads it's likely they've hired these two new detectives to interview Hart and Cohle and an attempt to frame them, or at least Cohle.

A few of my friends keep going on about the Yellow King and wanting the show to get all supernatual but I'm not sure I'm into that. I'm down for figurative translations of the source material, making the story fit into a real world situation, anything more than that seems a little strange though.

I just hope it doesn't end ambiguously.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This show is driving me crazy, even more after the last episode...
    Then I read your great fancy theories and so on and I'm wondering why the hell I have decided to watch it since the beginning !

Should have started it when the series finished.

Good thing "The King in Yellow" ebook is free.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So wait a min. Is Rev. Tuttle dead? Did I miss something?