Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It wasn't bad, but overall what I liked the most was Scoot McNairy, because he was good and I liked him in Halt and Catch Fire and I was glad to see that he's alive... strange, I know. :-) Don't take too literally.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Jesus @Volband . Did we watch the same show?

I thought this was one of the best things I've seen in years. In fact, it's one of my favorite things I've EVER seen, along with the first season, Twin Peaks, The Leftovers etc

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Jesus @Volband . Did we watch the same show?

I thought this was one of the best things I've seen in years. In fact, it's one of my favorite things I've EVER seen, along with the first season, Twin Peaks, The Leftovers etc
    What do you think was not how I described it?

Like, I can and obviously should accept that even with all things considered, you just liked it. I mean, I enjoyed season 2 a lot, so I suppose I'm not in any authority to even think about preaching tastes and what not.

The season fell apart miserably after a certain point, and the shortcomings of the writer was showing. It's like when an amateur, aspiring writer finds an interesting idea (THREE TIMELINES!!!!!!!!!), and tries to run with it, but it turns out, that the idea itself is much better than the writer's capability to execute it. I have never seen such high level acting for some of the dumbest, most shallow characters. You know that meme, "thanks, I hate it"? Basically that's how I could describe this feeling. Thanks for the outstanding acting guys and girls, but it's just empty.

Funnily enough, they nailed some of the supporting characters. Indian guy, mother, father. I would've watched these three over "shitty marriage, volume 782". At first the petty arguments created some tension and drama, but when it happened every single time with the same outcome, it was a joke, and made me care even less about them. Good, go ahead and seperate! She is making money off from his intel, and he is incapable of being a normal husband. Save yourselves and the kids. Or just keep being in a shitty relationship, and then glorify it in hindsight when you are senile and close to death.

Since then, I checked out some opinions, and it was funny to see what a blind cult this series has. My absolute favorite thing is people defending the red herrings, stating that real life cases have many red herrings too. Oh, okay. So when the show go apeshit with the red herring, we refer to reality, but when all the unbelievably dumb stuff happen, we say it's just a tv show. Wew.

This season was objectively not good television, and mostly because the THREE TIMELINES (trademark) just did not work.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I must agree with Volband about this season. My girl and I didn't like this season either. We both love the first season and hated the second season. Sure, this season was better than the second, but that doesn't take much. Great acting, sure, but the characters were quite shallow. Honestly felt no connect between Hays and West nor Hays and Amelia. Jesus, Hays and Amelia's relationship was the worst of it. Same shit hashed out for 8 episodes. Stephen Dorff as West was probably the best thing about the show, but he was not enough. It tried to hit the marks of season 1 on a few occasions yet those moments felt quite obvious like they wanted to be season 1 so bad but missed. We didn't feel any of the tension or momentum of the first season. There just wasn't that much depth in this season's characters. Found ourselves just watching to watch and couldn't care less to know the ending. Better shows out there.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-15-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Hot take: I thought this was the best season out of all three. If you haven't already, check out the extended 90min final episode on the Blu-ray. It's a beautiful tear-jerker of a finale.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    True Detective: Night Country - Filming begins soon in Iceland. Jodie Foster and Kali Reis to star.

“When the long winter night falls in Ennis, Alaska, the six men that operate the Tsalal Arctic Research Station vanish without a trace. To solve the case, Detectives Liz Danvers and Evangeline Navarro will have to confront the darkness they carry in themselves, and dig into the haunted truths that lie buried under the eternal ice.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Great googily moogily...

Last edited by october_midnight; 04-12-2023 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    That is definitely indeed, the spiral. They're really going to do it, aren't they? I'm so hyped for this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LET'S GO

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Hot take: I thought this was the best season out of all three. If you haven't already, check out the extended 90min final episode on the Blu-ray. It's a beautiful tear-jerker of a finale.
    WAIT wait wait, Wiz. Sorry I'm 4-5 years late with this, but does the 90min version shed any extra light on that killer ending?

As far as the new season, YEAH. I saw the YouTube commercial the day it came out, and, hot damn.

There aren't many shows that are good enough to where they can be like "yeah, we got a TV show. We'll put it out whenever the fuck we want (4 seasons in 10 years) and you WILL watch it.
    In fact, you'll get excited and tell your friends and talk about it on your little internet forums."

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    WAIT wait wait, Wiz. Sorry I'm 4-5 years late with this, but does the 90min version shed any extra light on that killer ending?
    If you're interested, I can upload it somewhere and DM you the link.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    There's enough to be skeptical coming off of a brand new writer in season 4, but does anyone else feel like the potential season 1 connections *add* to their skepticism instead of the hype? I liked these as self contained stories.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    There's enough to be skeptical coming off of a brand new writer in season 4, but does anyone else feel like the potential season 1 connections *add* to their skepticism instead of the hype? I liked these as self contained stories.
    I feel you. And, it could go sideways.
    However, the new writer DOES have a LOT of hype around her, and has won some awards, so that helps. That, at least, is something. (thrilling neverending story reference).
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-21-2023 at 05:58 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    While I agree that the self-contained stories are more intriguing, S2 left a bad taste, in a lot of fans mouths. Personally, I really liked S2 with it being a slow burn, but I really enjoyed the payoff. S3 seemed to be a tad more well received, but there were still some hollow moments that left me wondering as well.

Seems like it makes sense that they would return to the series most successful, and well liked season with S1. With the talent in front, and behind the scenes attached to this new season, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully, they can contain their own storytelling with the new cast, along with not using S1 as a crutch.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I don't get the hate for season 2, i just re-watched it and loved it.

Season 1 is too strong, but season 2 is underrated.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I don't get the hate for season 2, i just re-watched it and loved it.

Season 1 is too strong, but season 2 is underrated.
    Highly agree. Season 2 asked for more of your attention, and I thought Vince did a fabulous job. That scene in the desert is my favorite of the entire season; so well executed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The writing was always the weakest part of True Detective(good direction/acting/music made people go apeshit over season 1-plot was nothing special,characters don't have much depth and go thru some unearned arcs,supernatural stuff never amounted to anything). Season 2 is so bad it's cringe inducing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    The writing was always the weakest part of True Detective(good direction/acting/music made people go apeshit over season 1-plot was nothing special,characters don't have much depth and go thru some unearned arcs,supernatural stuff never amounted to anything). Season 2 is so bad it's cringe inducing.
    I have to respectfully disagree. S01 was based on a true story from down south believe it or not.
    Twas.something we.spoke of in...well ,.more like, whispered about, back in the days, in the Texas/Louisiana area.

Also, the CHARACTERS weren't deep? Are you referring to Matthew McConaughey in his best, best WRITTEN role, full stop, combined with Mr. Woody Harrelson's best role this side of Natural Born Killers?

Cuz. Did we watch the same show? I agree wrt to S02, but S03 MORE than made up for 2. I mean, again, no offense.
    But, I am confuse.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Pssst. I have uploaded all the bonus stuff from Season 3's bluray into a file host. The amazing extended finale, nine deleted scenes, a small doc about the production design and a conversation between Pizzolatto and T-Bone Burnett. If anyone's interested (I know @elevenism is), feel free to DM me!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    That is definitely indeed, the spiral. They're really going to do it, aren't they? I'm so hyped for this.
    I supposed it's just a coincidence that Rusty Cohle, from season one, was raised in Alaska.

Right?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    So, first episodes here and... I'm a little underwhelmed. It's not bad but it just doesn't quite feel like True Detective right now. It's relatively lighter, the pacing is a lot more quick. Weirdly, it feels more like season 2 than the others: There's no savant detective like Cphle or Hayes, the partnership hasn't developed by the end of the first episode, there's a broader cast and it's all confined to one timeline. There's a lot of references to a past case so I'm wondering if they considered depicting that case and then cut it when the show went down to six episodes from eight. Going in with an open mind but reviews are saying that it's more supernatural.... I've always liked that there are lingering but not actually supernatural vibes to the show. Hopefully that's stays grounded and interpretive

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Just saw the first episode, i liked it, lot's of throwbacks to the first season and great acting; let's see how it ends!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, first episodes here and... I'm a little underwhelmed. It's not bad but it just doesn't quite feel like True Detective right now. It's relatively lighter, the pacing is a lot more quick. Weirdly, it feels more like season 2 than the others: There's no savant detective like Cphle or Hayes, the partnership hasn't developed by the end of the first episode, there's a broader cast and it's all confined to one timeline. There's a lot of references to a past case so I'm wondering if they considered depicting that case and then cut it when the show went down to six episodes from eight. Going in with an open mind but reviews are saying that it's more supernatural.... I've always liked that there are lingering but not actually supernatural vibes to the show. Hopefully that's stays grounded and interpretive
    As in interpretive dance?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    As in, can easily be given a non-super natural explanation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was referring to the dance Travis performed

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Not sure what's the issue with the "supernatural stuff", all seasons had some degree of supernatural phenomena here and there; they are tools for the plot and the mood.

They also can be both symbolic and literal and are more "lynchian" than "horror-movie tropes".

Just found out the season will only be 6 episodes, damn...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 01-16-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Not sure what's the issue with the "supernatural stuff", all seasons had some degree of supernatural phenomena here and there; they are tools for the plot and the mood.

They also can be both symbolic and literal and are more "lynchian" than "horror-movie tropes".

Just found out the season will only be 6 episodes, damn...
    I think it's one thing for Cohle to have acid flashbacks that color his character but don't move the plot, or for Vince Vaughns character to have a somewhat surreal death scene, or for Detective Hayes to have hallucinations associated with dimensia that sometimes serve as exposition, and it's another for a woman to be lead to some missing victims by a ghost. That said it does still exist in a grey area, like you said, we will see how the rest of it shakes out.

As a whole it just feels kind of different from the pacing and may be more focused on the mystery rather than being character driven, but we will see. In still feeling open minded about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I felt like there were so many layers to unpack that it got to the point where a new character would show up and you’d think “really? another one?”

But yeah I’m hooked now. I like how Jodie Foster’s character is immediately unlikeable. Sort of refreshing to have a main character be flawed in a way that isn’t “I’m a broken person” and more “I’m a bit of a dick”