Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Well, certainly some very concrete connections to season 1 firing off in the second episode. I'm still not sold on the vibe of the whole thing, hopefully they can stick the landing and not kind of ruin the first one. Haven't picked up any references to the other season, has the internet blessed us with any of that knowledge? The season 1 references are more than Easter eggs though

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Season 1 and 4 are completely related:

Spoiler: The company funding the Research Station is "Tuttle United" obviously owned by Billy Lee Tuttle.

Season 3 does mention the season 1 case in a newspaper.

Season 2 is the only one that seems "unrelated" to the other seasons...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I guess the irony is that season 3 did that picture specifically to poke at, or even to criticize, the idea that fans would want connections to stories that were always intended to be self contained. But now here we are and we are doing it any way.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Season 1 and 4 are completely related:

Spoiler: The company funding the Research Station is "Tuttle United" obviously owned by Billy Lee Tuttle.

Season 3 does mention the season 1 case in a newspaper.

Season 2 is the only one that seems "unrelated" to the other seasons...
    Spoiler: Travis COHLE? As in Rust's daddy?

We are in business, my friends.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I guess the irony is that season 3 did that picture specifically to poke at, or even to criticize, the idea that fans would want connections to stories that were always intended to be self contained. But now here we are and we are doing it any way.
    Well I'm sure the new writer may not have gotten that or cares

It definitely has a different vibe than the first three seasons, but that's because it's a completely new team. It's kind of jarring, but I like it so far anyway!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They ain’t fucking around are they?

Did anyone spot the weird “Metal” AI looking poster in that guys cabin? Jarring as hell

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    They ain’t fucking around are they?

Did anyone spot the weird “Metal” AI looking poster in that guys cabin? Jarring as hell
    Yup! I even Photoshopped a head-on version so you can see it in all its glory:

https://twitter.com/BrianBitner/stat...20138624491741

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That poster was so distracting during that scene, it was messing with my brain

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Those posters in True Detective: Night Country are a knock on A.I.

https://www.avclub.com/true-detective-night-country-ai-posters-issa-lopez-hbo-1851185628

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm enjoying this season, so far; just a fun ride. I need to watch season 2 again as I don't think I gave it a fair shot; needed an open mind instead of thinking it would somehow be a sequel to S1. Not to be too obvious, but, I love the Thing vibe. Am I the only one who thought that head was about to sprout legs and walk off after the jump-scare scream it made?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I'm enjoying this season, so far; just a fun ride. I need to watch season 2 again as I don't think I gave it a fair shot; needed an open mind instead of thinking it would somehow be a sequel to S1. Not to be too obvious, but, I love the Thing vibe. Am I the only one who thought that head was about to sprout legs and walk off after the jump-scare scream it made?
    I did; and I also thought about Ash in Alien. But it was the scream that gave me goosebumps.

I love that whole scene with the corpsicle, out there on the ice. I love how Danvers took control when she saw those idiots taking selfies with the deads. I love her reaction to the scream; how she was trying to push people behind her to protect them from... that. Danvers is a manipulative asshole but she's the boss and she was put there to do a job and goddamn it, she is going to do it. But since I worship Jodie Foster, I may be a bit biased.

Everyone else thought that Rose's monologue about Travis and Ennis and what's out there was also a call back to S1? Fiona Shaw can do no wrong. And I adore Navarro. I love how she's all "do what you want, White People, but I'm going to do my thing and solve this my way". Navarro is love.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Those posters in True Detective: Night Country are a knock on A.I.

https://www.avclub.com/true-detective-night-country-ai-posters-issa-lopez-hbo-1851185628
    I don’t buy it. Either they purposefully used AI to create a fake poster out of laziness or they got caught using a real poster without licence and had to do a hack job of covering it up.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I don’t buy it. Either they purposefully used AI to create a fake poster out of laziness or they got caught using a real poster without licence and had to do a hack job of covering it up.
    Yea, it sounds as if they backtracked like it says in the article. Dozens of others make great points, under the actual tweet, and the more you read about it, the more obvious it is that she's full of shit lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Yea, it sounds as if they backtracked like it says in the article. Dozens of others make great points, under the actual tweet, and the more you read about it, the more obvious it is that she's full of shit lol.

For a show that has always revelled in theories/looking deeper into every aspect of both character and what is on screen, there is no way that an AI poster was placed in the shot in lieu of an actual poster. It’ll been for the reasons she’s said.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also, imagine creating/producing anything nowadays knowing that you have to deal with this nonsense on an hourly basis. Truly exhausting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This season is like what an X-Files revival could've been like if it didn't have to appeal to the lowest common denominators.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Jesus H. Christ that last scene was harrowing

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Someone needs to come up with a name for the fear of people standing in a corner. Because I have that phobia. Thanks, Blair Witch.

The theme of last night episode was "oh fuck no." The orange was "oh fuck no."

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm still on the fence about this season. I waffle between very clever and horribly boring. There are choices that I can't decide whether they're unbelievably stupid or clever. Like... Eve's sister dying... Did she kill herself by drowning in the dark and get discovered within like.... And hour or two? That would be incredibly stupid. Or! Maybe it's the darkness fucking with our perception of time... That would be a little bit clever. They spend an entire episode in estimating Raymond Clark without realizing he isn't a a part of the corpsicle.... They miscounted? They didn't check?

Some of the show feels very grindy. The tension in the relationship between Prior and his wife feels totally manufactured and I compelling. The dialogue between them is frustrating for all of the wrong reasons. I'm still along for the ride for the mystery but I'm definitely finding this to be a frustrating way of continuing one of my favorite shows

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Agreed. I’ve been watching but not sure if this is a dumbed down mashup of season 1 and Dyatlov Pass or it’s going to pay off and turn out great. Could go either way but I wished I cared about any of the characters more than I currently do, which is not much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This episode felt like I was watching a string of cutscenes from a video game. My least favorite of the season so far.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Episode 4: Nothing continues to happen.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Eve's sister dying: it's not the time it took to find her that bothers me. It's what she did before dying.

If her goal was to drown, why remove all the heavy winter clothing that would ensure to weigh her down, literally, making sure she's have a hard time changing her mind after hitting the water? That doesn't make sense. If she wanted to die from the cold, hypothermia, all she had to do is lay down in the snow; she would have fallen asleep fast and she would have died quickly.

As for what is going on in this town, I have 3 theories:

1. The mines are indeed responsible for the black water that is causing health problems for animals and people and they know it. Someone call Erin Brockovich.

2. The scientists at the Tsalal research station have revive the virus/bacteria/whatever that they should not have messed with and it drove them mad. Add the local lore about monster and weird stuff and voilà: a nice corpsicle.

3. "Don't confuse the spirit world with mental health issues."

Our two cop ladies come with a whole lot of baggage that is tinting everything they come in contact with. Their past is haunting them in what they see and do.

Bonus point: time is a flat circle.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I agree with some of your points, but I'm hooked, yet i think no matter how it'll end fans will complain (Season 1 left the bar too high, even Pizzolatto "disowning" it)

I loved the whole "sad Xmas" vibe, loved when Navarro asks Qavvik "why is he alone?", loved how everyone is facing their "literal" or "metaphorical" ghosts...

Yeah, i guess not much happens, but that even applies to the other seasons, the essence of the series is there, is as much about the persons as it is the case.

But this could go either way; they are building up to "something" and yes, they could fuck up, but I'll wait till the end to judge, because I'm loving the vibe, the actors and setting.

PS: Yeah it made me think of the "Blair Witch" too, fuckin' scary...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-13-2024 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's hitting 'so bad it's good' levels at points lately. Oh True Detective,your utter self importance/seriousness while being pulpy/cliched is like what if Zack Snyder got to make a TV series.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That fucking credits song, jesus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I got the feeling that Danvers wasn't originally supposed to be this much of a focal character. Her journey just feels so insignificant compared to (obviously) Navarro's and even Peter's.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I guess it's mostly grown on me. One thing, is that like three of these episodes have gotten under my skin in some way that the other three seasons haven't. Even if the mystery is playing out quite predictably, the systemic injustice of the mine working in tandem with police and seeing that community so helplessly push back is genuinely upsetting. That scene with Danvers forcing her daughter to remove the face markings too, just very hard to watch. Even if some of the writing has struggled and the essence of it feels a little off from the rest of the series it's not like any of the other three seasons are exactly flawless

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    That fucking credits song, jesus
    Yeah, I laughed out loud at that one.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Welp, I was wrong and they were once again fucking with the audience! Whoops!

All in all I enjoyed the finale and the season as a whole, but I find the some aspects of its answers to be a bit ridiculous like

Spoiler: actually, everyone killed Annie and *then,* actually, everyone else killed them. The image of the mob justice being carried out by the indigenous women felt way too on the nose for me, and the idea that this group of 6 or so women could carry this out with almost no trace left behind also pushing my suspension of disbelief. And when Danvers and Navarro go to pick them up... Luckily they're all in the same house together? I guess? and of course a few dangling threads intended to leave us unsatisfied but that might ultimately overly frustrate and confuse an average viewer.

Also Spoiler: Prior's wife coming in just for one last bout of being completely ridiculous and unreasonable. She's the real villain, here, since the mine CEO lady doesn't even make an appearance.

Like I said I suppose I enjoyed this over all... Appreciated it politics. Still feel like it's probably my least favorite of the 4 seasons