Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Eminem is the only rap artist I listen to.
    try harder. here's one of the greatest songs ever made, with arguably the best beat of all time in rap:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    try harder. here's one of the greatest songs ever made, with arguably the best beat of all time in rap:

BRB going to play NBA STREET

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Does the new logo suggest the possibility of a new record coming soon?

Also, as much as I LOVE Em, he's always been a little hit and miss imho (ass like that is a MISS, for instance.)
    I never listen to his albums straight through. I make my own compilations.

Finally, @Boots , that's a damn crying shame. Get you some of this right here. it's got Saul Williams. You can thank me later.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-30-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Does the new logo suggest the possibility of a new record coming soon?
    That logo that someone posted yesterday is NOT new. He's been using that for about 4 years (since 2013). Even the image link says so. There IS supposedly a new album in the works, including a track that he and Dre were working on in the recording studio together.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Finally, @Boots , that's a damn crying shame. Get you some of this right here. it's got Saul Williams. You can thank me later.

Kendrick destroyed everyone a few years back with this verse.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I found his rhymes weak

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I found his rhymes weak

Yeah, thought he couldve done better. Also doubt it's an actual "freestyle". Pretty sure it wasn't made up on the fly, seemed staged.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    So Revival leaked.

I'm hearing mixed reviews.
    As for me, i didn't like Walk on Water at first, but then it grew on me.

Untouchable: i like what he's saying, but goddamn, he keeps talking about "us" as though he's fucking black. He talks about the cop being a "rock star," but it occurred to me that Em is LITERALLY a white rock star. So seriously, what the fuck does he know about being black? I know he lived in black neighborhoods, but so did i. in fact, i've lived WITH black folks in four or five living situations in my life, but i've goddamn sure never had the audacity to claim that i know what it's like to actually BE black. I understand that he's playing a role on this track, but it's still kinda cringey for me.

I still look forward to hearing the album though. IMHO, Em belongs in the GOAT conversation for sure: he's just so goddamn good at the craft of rhyming.
    Also, i'm hearing rumors that this is seriously going to be the man's last album, so i feel like i ought to thoughtfully listen to it as he's made such a massive fucking mark on the culture of my (i'm 37) generation. He seems fucking addicted to both the work and the attention though, so i doubt it will REALLY be his last album.
    It's interesting that guys like him and Hova are pushing 50. I wonder when they will stop?

So have you guys heard the record yet?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I just heard a new song on the radio. Collaboration with Ed Sheerhan (or however you spell his name). Song was titled Rivers I think.

Yeah, uhh... no.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Album is straight up trash...with a few songs are that worthy, this gives Encore a run for it's money. Ugh.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ah, it ain't great but it's not that bad either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yup, this record is a turd. Gonna give it a few more chances, but it basically sounds like the vocal delivery of Encore with the rap-pop structure of Recovery. Pretty damn boring IMO.

I don't understand why Dre wasn't involved on the music side. Production-wise, this album is really lackluster. Even the Just Blaze track falls flat. There isn't a memorable beat on the entire album, save the Rick Rubin track where he samples Joan Jett, but I've personally always hated that song so meh. The whole thing is really sloppy, boring and forgettable.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    In Eminem’a heydey, an eNINem collaboration album would have been sick..... when Eminem would have been able to get really dark and brutal...and Trent Reznor could match his production and song-writing to Eminem’s world.

Eminem - Revival:

The chorus to Believe sucks. The verses are strong.

I deleted a song from the album’s playlist. It was a song with such an annoying chorus... he kept stretching his voice in this other song... really great sound and technical ability. Chloroseptic is kind of good overall because of flow.. but Eminem feels afraid.

Rock Star has a great verse. The chorus is funny as hell....dissing this certain type of white boy.

Rock Star’s verses are epic. Best verses in music I’ve heard in a long time. The real Eminem appears in the coda. He’s portraying the part of a black person in America. If his portrayal is true, it’s interesting that American pop culture portrays black people in much the same way. The influence of American pop culture on World culture should not be underestimated. But is the portrayal of black people in pop culture the whole story? What influence does racial bias have on the portrayal of black people in American popular culture?

Eminem and Rick Rubin are geniuses to do a rap song with I Love Rock n’ Roll by Joan Jett

The song Revival sounds like a gospel song for white people...weird......who is it for?

This album is going to sell millions. 2 awful songs threaten to ruin the experience.

EDIT: I WAS HIGH WHEN I WROTE THIS REVIEW. THERE ARE MORE THAN 2 BAD SONGS... THERE ARE LIKE 4 OR 5 BAD SONGS. ...AND THEN THERE ARE LIKE 4-5 REALLY GOOD SONGS.... THE REST ARE MEDIOCRE..

LIKE HOME HAS A GOD-AWFUL CHORUS. BELIEVE HAS A GOD-AWFUL CHORUS... This is where many of these songs are faltering... shit choruses.

EDIT 2:

There are a handful of songs here that would make an incredible EP. He could have called it REVIVAL EP and had people salivating about what a full album of songs like that could have been... instead... we have a 5-Star Michelin Grade dish topped with poop.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-17-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    In Eminem’a heydey, an eNINem collaboration album would have been sick..... when Eminem would have been able to get really dark and brutal...
    Good god, with the amount of seriousness/humorlosness involved in such a collaboration, my cd-player would have never survived...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked it more on the 2nd listen through. A couple good songs. A bunch of forgettable songs. It just seems repetitious at this point. He's back to songs about him and Kim and how they love each other, but just can't be in a relationship. Or songs about how he was an addict and almost died, but pulled through. Those were already on Recovery, which was a better album.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    so far every one pre-order from iTunes has been a dud except i can't believe I'm typing this Taylor swift oh and foo-fighters, still trying to figure out how pre-oder payment works, with expected release date i know they don't bill you when you pre-order pre-ordered a Hendrix album still trying to wrap my head around that.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    I liked it more on the 2nd listen through. A couple good songs. A bunch of forgettable songs. It just seems repetitious at this point. He's back to songs about him and Kim and how they love each other, but just can't be in a relationship. Or songs about how he was an addict and almost died, but pulled through. Those were already on Recovery, which was a better album.
    Just got into the first few songs. Don’t forget the “woe is me, I’m past my prime, people have forgotten about me already, blah blah blah” angle he’s done since at least 8 Mile.

So far not hideous, not good either though. I’m tired of all the “pop” collaborations he’s done over the years though- at a certain point it becomes watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    so far every one pre-order from iTunes has been a dud except i can't believe I'm typing this Taylor swift oh and foo-fighters, still trying to figure out how pre-oder payment works, with expected release date i know they don't bill you when you pre-order pre-ordered a Hendrix album still trying to wrap my head around that.
    -Louie
    ^^^ Brah, you’ve been drinking?...

(I’m not one to judge, heh)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Heard it three times at work today because boss man is all up on his nuts. Nothing really grabbed me about it, granted i was working so i wasn't giving it full attention and i knew i'd be hearing it for the foreseeable future. I don't wan't to say it's bad, however it just felt a bit flat.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Castle -> Arose is amazing, don't care about the rest

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Castle -> Arose is amazing, don't care about the rest
    I've read two reviews that specifically call out those two tracks as being the cream of the crop, as well.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Im not gonna lie............I kinda like Encore

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I’m also not gonna lie.....I like Relapse... lots of dark humour and sick beats and personas... I wish Eminem would do multiple personas again... The only one he still uses sometimes is his 30s era gangster persona... I like that one...

To me, Relapse was solid.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-22-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    It had some diamonds in the rough.

Like Toy Soldiers and Mosh are a couple favorites.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I also like Relapse. It took a few years for me to appreciate a lot of it, though. I barely ever listen to anything from Encore, that's easily my least favorite album Em has put out. Regarding Revival, I don't think it's nearly as bad as everyone in the comments all over Facebook makes it out to be (like every comment I see is someone saying it's absolute garbage. It's not one of his better albums, but it has some pretty good songs on it. I've only listened to it about 1.5 times, but I already know I like it more than Encore. I do get a little annoyed with his newer style of choppy vocal delivery. Also, the obligatory Rick Rubin-produced song that's set to a sample of a classic rock song is wearing a little thin already. Still, I don't think it's bad. I must say I AM disappointed in the lack of Dr. Dre on this album. I remember seeing an article earlier this year that said they were recording together, yet he doesn't appear on the album. That's probably the biggest let-down for me, I was hoping for at least one song with him featured on it.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 12-23-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Kind of surprised by this thread's existence and had to drop a comment. I've wondered before but just assumed there weren't many crossover NIN/Eminem fans just because of the vast differences in the music but glad to see I was wrong. Strangely, the two are connected in my mind in a number of coincidental ways. For example, they are both my go to artists for when I work out. NIN gets played for anaerobic exercises and Em for cardio. They also were both in with interscope and their logos are pretty much the same damn idea. They also both let early fame/extensive touring and perfectionism ruin their personal lives and became addicted to drugs only to turn it around later and end up putting out plenty of material after getting sober and staying sober.

Anyways, I'm with the small minority here that kind of like encore. Is it the best? No, but its just fun. Rainman is one of the most ridiculous funny songs ever to me. Relapse, while heavy on accents, is a genius album when it comes to wordplay and I've always thought it would make a great animated movie. As for the new record, I understand why some people can't stand it but I think at this point if someones not already an Em fan they're probably not going to be. Is it true that some of the hooks are subpar? Yes. Would it be infinitely better if Dre produced instead of Rubin? Absolutely! Is it some sort of innovative musical revelation? NO! If people are listening to Em's music for a steady beat to bob their head to at a party then I think they're doing it wrong. Eminem's strength is and has always been his insane wordplay. He's the best at bending words and phrases and coming up with double entendres and doing it in such a passionate, hysterical, or humorous way that it takes repeat listens to fully appreciate. Which reminds me of something else people who hate Eminem always seem to not understand, the guy is a comedian too. A juvenile sense of humor but one that is self aware. Much of the controversy he has stirred up over the years usually results from people not being in on the joke. I think this is due to the fact that he makes serious songs as well so it actually takes a good ear for casual listeners to catch what is real and what is said for the sake of insane wordplay and entertainment value. Both of those aspects are prevalent on Revival and as long as they are I'll be a fan. Would I prefer it over Dre instrumentals and non-pop hooks? Yep, but I can't let those things deter my enjoyment of one of the world's best wordsmiths.

Also, someone above commented about what if Trent and Marshall had worked together and it got me thinking. I watched some of "defiant ones" documentary and how crazy would it have been to have had a joint album with both Trent and Dre producing and performing along with Manson and Eminem? I mean I think it would either end up a complete disaster or the best thing that ever happened. Maybe both. One can dream anyway.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 12-23-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I kinda like Encore too! He's a great rapper ->

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Encore to me is like....kinda a fun album. Em doesn't have to always write genius level lyrics, why cant he have fun and just dick around? Nothing says he can't. While it's not perfect, I feel like...people kinda take it to serious.......kinda like how people take his insults to serious

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I kinda like Encore too! He's a great rapper ->

underrated album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Encore to me is like....kinda a fun album. Em doesn't have to always write genius level lyrics, why cant he have fun and just dick around? Nothing says he can't. While it's not perfect, I feel like...people kinda take it to serious.......kinda like how people take his insults to serious
    It was released after the phenomenal Eminem Show so I get it.

Ass Like That still makes me laugh.