Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dreams with Trent/NIN in them

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    He may have visited your patient to speed up his recovery.
    Let's hope my patient had the same dream and it works

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This one is short but kind of funny.

So I guess I was at a little NIN concert and somehow I was responsible for playback of certain songs (you know, the songs where some of the tracks are just played in the background because the band didn't feel they needed to perform those particular parts). So I think we were just starting the song Only, and I believe I accidentally started the song just past the actual beginning, which threw off Trent when he was singing to it. So I stop the track and put the cursor in the DAW (sequencing software) back to the beginning of the project/song, and play back again. I think by this passing Trent forgot the lyrics or somehow messed up, lol, so again I had to put the cursor back to the start, and press play. By this third round or so, we're both a little frustrated, and I'm thinking to myself, "okay, I think this one should be good." And like just in the first verse, or perhaps just as Trent sings "there is no! - " his backup voice and the rest of the track start repeating a small segment; "there is no! - there is no! - there is no!" and I'm thinking in my head "SHIT! I accidentally created a looping segment with the markers in this Cubase project!!!" lmao I often forget to disengage my looping segments in RL....
    And in shame and embarrassment I automatically just blurt out "Oohp, sorry that was me."

Then I awake.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 04-02-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I had a dream that Pretty Hate Machine had similar packaging to Broken. I didn't even question it as I just assumed that it was yet another variant yet to be discovered as I was making an attempt to buy those albums along with The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth as presents again. It's funny because, in real life it would've already been posted on Echoing the Sound, and I'd obviously check to see if I had enough money in the first place, let alone actually find the CDs in real life around my way these days.

It didn't take too long for me to wake up once I've questioned those realities and put them into consideration.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I had a dream that Pretty Hate Machine had similar packaging to Broken. I didn't even question it as I just assumed that it was yet another variant yet to be discovered as I was making an attempt to buy those albums along with The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth as presents again. It's funny because, in real life it would've already been posted on Echoing the Sound, and I'd obviously check to see if I had enough money in the first place, let alone actually find the CDs in real life around my way these days.

It didn't take too long for me to wake up once I've questioned those realities and put them into consideration.
    Very interesting. How long have you been a fan Kris? If you don't mind, I'm curious of your age? Did you get to grow into age along side Reznor?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I dreampt I was sitting at my dinner table eating my food and silently lip singing the lyrics to the final chorus of Various Methods of Escape, with my hand sort of slapping the table or pretending it was holding and shaking a tamborine the way Trent does in some of his performances. lol wtf. Now that's a realistic dream since that's exactly the sort of thing I do these days in RL.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Very interesting. How long have you been a fan Kris?
    I've only been a fan of Nine Inch Nails since 2002. It still feels good knowing that I somehow caught on before With Teeth existed. However, I still sometimes like to imagine what it would've been like to have been a fan before The Fragile came out. It makes me wish that I checked out The Fragile when it came out, as I heard about Nine Inch Nails as early as 1999, but was really into the likes of Korn, Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock at the time, just to give you an idea of what I was into at the time. I just had absolutely no idea who NIN was at the time. I also heard of NIN through Limp Bizkit from their song Hot Dog, but didn't really pay attention to finding out who NIN really was after getting into Marilyn Manson in 2002.

Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood became instant favorites. A friend of mine at the time noticed, and told me that there was no way that I could go wrong with NIN. He first had me listen to Closer, and the rest of The Downward Spiral and Broken soon followed. I was totally blown away upon hearing the first few seconds of Mr Self Destruct. It obviously gave me my fill, especially after having become so enamored with Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood. Hearing Wish for the very first time was very addictive, and I kept listening to it over and over with Pinion, as I really enjoyed how it built up to Wish. And yes, that really does mean that Broken and The Downward Spiral still have my favorite intros. The same was the case for listening to Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile after listening to Mechanical Animals. I also loved the way Head Like A Hole started too, and was also very much addicted to Pretty Hate Machine too. You can also certainly say that the rest was history at that point.

Interestingly enough, it's The Fragile that really not only held my attention the most as a new fan, but was also the album that completely sold me on NIN, but with The Downward Spiral undeniably being very close to it. To this day The Fragile is still arguably my most favorite NIN album. I say that because I still keep incessantly switching between both albums the most whenever I get my NIN fix. Granted, Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and With Teeth inevitably follow too.

Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    If you don't mind, I'm curious of your age? Did you get to grow into age along side Reznor?
    Oh, not at all. Trent Reznor is 20 years older than I am. I even actually sometimes still enjoy knowing that I was exactly 20 years old and that he was 40 years old when I attended my first Nine Inch Nails concert.

Oh, and as far as recent NIN dreams go, I had a dream of a subway, but it was kind of like something you'd see from the Wish video, just as a subway. The Fixed version of Wish was playing in it too as I was riding an open train in high speed. I might have also been partially lucid at the time as I was consciously aware that I was asleep in a dream. It eventually froze, along with myself, and went pitch-black, and then I instantly woke up afterwards.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-17-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Finally: a new NIN dream. And it was revelatory.

First, we see an awesome 4:3 ratio screen in a park trail. For some reason my father and his best friend point it out to me. On that screen, dark, geometrical, slightly psychedelic imagery forms and you can hear a new NIN song which sounds pretty exciting. My father lets me know it's the new NIN album and notes the high-quality packaging.

But this is a special album. It's like Compton in that it's music inspired by a film some of this music is featured in.

The film itself is kind of weird. It's about a country of people who are regularly taken to another country through human trafficking. They are transported via "the sewer". It's a term for the dark underground waterway they must cross over to get to the other country. It isn't an actual sewer.

Anyways, there is something very special about these people. They live symbiotically with these sticky looking creatures that hang around their necks like large, thick necklaces.

So I am then shown a scene from the film where the human traffickers are walking a group of the special people (friends and family) through an underground passage next to a giant ravine. As the scene begins, new NIN music plays. It fits the film so well and creates a very fantasy-like, surreal feeling.

For some reason, a human trafficker pushes one of the group over the edge. But when he begins to plummet, a symbiote creature from another in the group extends like one of thos sticky hands that you can whip on to the wall, and it sticks to the falling dude's sticky creature... which causes this person to also be pulled over the edge of the ravine (a new NIN song is playing during this action). This continues to happen until all the members of the group are linked together and falling, but because they are all linked together, they manage to get hooked on some outcropping and are saved. And that's how they escape the human traffickers.

So in the dream I was totally excited that the new NIN album would be inspired by and feature some of the music featured in this new strange film, along with tracks containing lyrics (of course still being inspired by the film).
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 04-15-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I had ANOTHER NIN dream.

So I'm in this record store and in the new releases section are like 25 copies of the Downward Spiral CD in a 5 by 5 grid. Right next to them are like 50 copies of the NEW NIN ALBUM also in a grid. The cover is a kind of painting... dark colors ... dark reds, dark pastel indigo, black, dark blue, even some light pastel blue and brown and dark green... it's an impressionistic painting of a bay. and, there is no writing on the cover.. it's covered in a plastic wrap with a sticker on it that identifies the band and album title.

On the shelf it says "available in 19 days". So these are empty placeholders, and the reason why there are a shit ton of Downward Spirals is because the record store wants to cross-market both NIN's most famous album and the new one, in the hopes of enhancing the sales of the new one and to sell more copies of Downward Spiral.

I pass by the shelf and get excited about seeing that the new NIN album is coming out. And also the price is marked on each copy of the new album (supposedly placeholders). I leave the store but think, "why are the prices marked on the placeholders?". I go back in the store and at this point I believe that I picked up a placeholder and discovered that the record store made a dumb mistake and actually set out the actual copies of the new album. I think that I may have picked up a copy and purchased it.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the increased frequency of NIN dreams featuring the new album means that it will be announced soon. Plus, in each of these 2 "new album era" dreams, I've gotten the sense that this new album is going to be fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Colorado!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    reading @cashpiles dream and scratching my chin
    Do they really put on shelves the dummy copies of upcoming music in Canada?
    I've seen that with videogames (preorder kits that get you some kind of bonus on release day) but what's with music?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    reading @cashpiles dream and scratching my chin
    Do they really put on shelves the dummy copies of upcoming music in Canada?
    I've seen that with videogames (preorder kits that get you some kind of bonus on release day) but what's with music?
    as far as I know, they don't put dummy copies of music on shelves in Canada..but I can't remember, because it's been years since I used to visit music stores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had a really weird dream about new nine inch nails music. There was a new single without announcement. It wasn't really bad but nothing that suited the idea of the moniker in any case, it was something like strobe light, very very "commercial", poppy and in major key. Upon this subject Trent told that he is really happy now and wants to make real money so he wants to attract new (young) target groups. It was disappointing and I wasnt seeking for the album anymore.
    Last edited by Bookmark; 05-25-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    What a great dream last night. I listened to the new NIN album and it was really good. the production and sounds used were closer to the downward spiral era. lots of guitars, electric and acoustic. some hip hop-inspired drum beats. just solid and interesting songs. there was one song in particular.. a slower sad song that I termed "Hurt part 2" in my dream... but it was totally different from Hurt..it was just similar in that it was sad and that it was so good it could be compared to Hurt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I've only been a fan of Nine Inch Nails since 2002. It still feels good knowing that I somehow caught on before With Teeth existed. However, I still sometimes like to imagine what it would've been like to have been a fan before The Fragile came out. It makes me wish that I checked out The Fragile when it came out, as I heard about Nine Inch Nails as early as 1999, but was really into the likes of Korn, Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock at the time, just to give you an idea of what I was into at the time. I just had absolutely no idea who NIN was at the time. I also heard of NIN through Limp Bizkit from their song Hot Dog, but didn't really pay attention to finding out who NIN really was after getting into Marilyn Manson in 2002.

Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood became instant favorites. A friend of mine at the time noticed, and told me that there was no way that I could go wrong with NIN. He first had me listen to Closer, and the rest of The Downward Spiral and Broken soon followed. I was totally blown away upon hearing the first few seconds of Mr Self Destruct. It obviously gave me my fill, especially after having become so enamored Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood. Hearing Wish for the very first time was very addictive, and I kept listening to it over and over with Pinion, as I really enjoyed how it built up to Wish. And yes, that really does mean that Broken and The Downward Spiral still have my favorite intros. The same was the case for listening to Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile after listening to Mechanical Animals. I also loved the way Head Like A Hole started too, and was also very much addicted to Pretty Hate Machine too. You can also certainly say that the rest was history at that point.

Interestingly enough, it's The Fragile that really not only held my attention the most as a new fan, but was also the album that completely sold me on NIN, but with The Downward Spiral undeniably being very close to it. To this day The Fragile is still arguably my most favorite NIN album. I say that because I still keep incessantly switching between both albums the most whenever I get my NIN fix. Granted, Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and With Teeth inevitably follow too.

Oh, not at all. Trent Reznor is 20 years older than I am. I even actually sometimes still enjoy knowing that I was exactly 20 years old and that he was 40 years old when I attended my first Nine Inch Nails concert.

Oh, and as far as recent NIN dreams go, I had a dream of a subway, but it was kind of like something you'd see from the Wish video, just as a subway. The Fixed version of Wish was playing in it too as I was riding an open train in high speed. I might have also been partially lucid at the time as I was consciously aware that I was asleep in a dream. It eventually froze, along with myself, and went pitch-black, and then I instantly woke up afterwards.

Ahh I see yeah I got into NIN around 2008, when I was about 14/15. That's kind of interesting how he's exactly 20 years older. yeah it's almost good and bad the way I see it. We missed out a lot but we have the ability to look into the past at his entire career almost as if we're from the future, and enjoy his current work while still being young. The first track that hooked me was Echoplex, then Capitol G I remember hearing on the radio still, and it was a downward spiral from there on!

I've heard of most of the other bands you mentioned and heard some of their songs so I have an idea of what you like. I can see how TDWS caught your attention. And yeah The Fragile is a very admiral album to me because I feel like it has everything that NIN has offered; the really emotionally heavy sad songs, the powerful aggressive songs, the groovy dance-able tracks, and lots of ambience and progressive parts. Interesting you specify that the intros were really good in TDWS and Broken. Pretty Hate Machine I didn't understand until I got a grip of what music sounded like back in that time. I later revisited it many years and was blown away by the retro sound. To me it was like hearing the birth child of Michael Jackson and Nirvana combined with some Disney's 90's Fern Gully nostalgia sounds.

And that's a kool dream man.
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 07-17-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookmark View Post
    I had a really weird dream about new nine inch nails music. There was a new single without announcement. It wasn't really bad but nothing that suited the idea of the moniker in any case, it was something like strobe light, very very "commercial", poppy and in major key. Upon this subject Trent told that he is really happy now and wants to make real money so he wants to attract new (young) target groups. It was disappointing and I wasnt seeking for the album anymore.
    Haha interesting. yeah I don't blame you for that dream...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I was dreaming I was sitting in a dark room just chilling beside a window with an ocean view, and I listened to the radio interview with Trent. In an honest and calm manner he was explaining his anger towards the banana and tropical fruit industry... lol wtf? He was claiming how the workers who processed and distributed bananas were slaves and that the whole industry was very corrupt. hahaha I didn't hear exactly that he said they were slaves but somehow he was sitting beside me so I leaned beside him and asked "so about the corruption... Are some of the workers slaves?" now looking like my dad, he replied to me in a whisper, "yeah that's what's been going on" or something like that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Dreamt I was somewhere with friends and someone was flicking through radio. I told them to switch it back to the previous station cause I think they were playing a new NIN song. We were arguing if it was or wasnt, turned out it was... mid tempo with an odd time signature, hesitation marks electronics bu heavier, singing was melodic with some screams like PHM. Probably the only new material im going to hear before the end of 2016 lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Went on a holiday trip with a strange group, a mix of current colleagues and classmates I've had about a million years ago. The man was there too, of course, first as the pilot of our plane, then as an employee of the hotel we were staying at. He was also that author Steve Alten, somehow, but that's just a trivial side note. We had a small party and he played me (as in an audio file, on a computer) a new remix of Discipline - with a badass re-tooled bass line, think Sanctified '13 - following my complaint that we're out of booze already.

I didn't even connect the two things (drinking and Discipline) until I thought about the scene awake, but wow. Neon-sign postcard from my subconscious, if I ever saw one. Been reading/listening Dan Millman's "Peaceful Warrior" stuff this week and that self-improvement via self-control theme was definitely a huge and somewhat expected influence on my thinking and dreams, but the TR package in this case was a neat touch. I'll probably never have a spiritual (or not) wise guide to follow in real life, but this was great. A memory to cherish till the very end.
    Last edited by Microwave Jellyfish; 10-05-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So I often have Trent Reznor dreams these days. I had one last night where Trent was getting interviewed on MTV by a fan; kind of like a meet and greet thing where fans could pass around the mic and talk. Some young woman had the mic and asked some questions about a particular song. Trent gave his honest response and explained ideas, and then the girl replied with due respect and an enthused but serious expression "You've become an adaptable, reliable, feminist superstar." Then she continued to give more praise. what? lol!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Went on a holiday trip with a strange group, a mix of current colleagues and classmates I've had about a million years ago. The man was there too, of course, first as the pilot of our plane, then as an employee of the hotel we were staying at. He was also that author Steve Alten, somehow, but that's just a trivial side note. We had a small party and he played me (as in an audio file, on a computer) a new remix of Discipline - with a badass re-tooled bass line, think Sanctified '13 - following my complaint that we're out of booze already.

I didn't even connect the two things (drinking and Discipline) until I thought about the scene awake, but wow. Neon-sign postcard from my subconscious, if I ever saw one. Been reading/listening Dan Millman's "Peaceful Warrior" stuff this week and that self-improvement via self-control theme was definitely a huge and somewhat expected influence on my thinking and dreams, but the TR package in this case was a neat touch. I'll probably never have a spiritual (or not) wise guide to follow in real life, but this was great. A memory to cherish till the very end.

haha the man was there too of course, first as the pilot of the plane, and then a hotel employee... lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just recently had one. My memory on it has hazy, but it took place in a room similar to the one Trent performed in with Peter Murphy. The occasion was like some sort of post-concert meet up, and Trent was talking about some sort of upcoming material. There were like 7 other people there, but none rang a bell. I don't remember EXACTLY anything Trent said but maybe it's a sign something is coming.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Had another last night. I was watching a Nine Inch Nails show, that seemed to be from 1994 considering the line up, but instead of seeing it from the audience I was on stage to Chris Vrenna's left. The dream didn't last long and they only played 3 songs, but the songs had considerable variation to them. First up was "Happiness In Slavery", which omitted the percussion breakdown but Trent screaming "slavery" was not high up, but rather the same pitch as Trent's "I can try to get away" from The Becoming during 2009. After that was "Terrible Lie", and the chorus had a rather jazzy bass line that I never heard before. Afterwards was "Closer" but it was cut off after the second chorus since I woke up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Mentioned this elsewhere but I had a funny dream that the next album was going to be a rock opera based on the movie Drive

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Had a remarkably detailed one last night with the live return of NIN, yet I woke up before I actually saw NIN. Basically, there was a warmup tour in the UK that I flew over to, I could only do two dates out of three, it started at that venue in Birmingham they played last time, the last show was in London and there was some drama in the dream that I couldn't remember what airline I was flying home with. Oh, and there was queue drama in the dream.

It was horribly realistic.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Recovering from stomach flu as I have been, I had a bizarre fever-dream this morning that the Physical Component was revealed to be:

The Broken VHS Cassette

...and that I instantly logged onto ETS to witness the shitstorm.

I know it makes no sense

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    a couple nights ago..i had a very very very bazaar dream.

I dreamt that I was actually Robin Fink...and it was the Fragility tour.

But i wasn't playing a guitar....i was playing a tv remote.......and the best part was that it was actually playing like a guitar......i was very confused...and Trent didn't seem to care.

I asked Trent if there was anything I should rehearse for a surprise song, and there was...Happiness In Slavery.....so yes...i played Happiness in Slavery...with a fucking tv remote that actually was a guitar

Very very confusing...that was one of the most normal dreams I ever had...

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    a couple nights ago..i had a very very very bazaar dream.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    hey it looked fine to me, i didnt know how it was actually spelled

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    hey it looked fine to me, i didnt know how it was actually spelled
    Try the post directly above yours.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    you beat me to the punch on that one @TheBang

although i'm no one to bust anyone's balls for spelling errors.

but when it involves a homophone, it's pretty damn funny.