Page 1 of 48 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2014

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

NIN-Spotting 2014

Tension 2013 made #3 on Entertainment Weekly's 10 Best Musical Performances of 2013:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2076...006198,00.html

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

NIN-Spotting Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    EL-P on working with NIN (starts at 7:30): https://soundcloud.com/carlita2/el-p...ldhood-working
    Super cool. I really respect El-P as a producer. I think that Run the Jewels is an excellent album and the Only remix is one of my fave NIN remixes.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    White Sea (a.k.a. Morgan Kibby of M83) is interviewed by Alisa of The Naked and Famous, and Morgan references a Trent Reznor story that's not immediately familiar to me. In any case, it's a very good interview.

http://thelabmagazine.com/2013/12/31/white-sea/

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    White Sea (a.k.a. Morgan Kibby of M83) is interviewed by Alisa of The Naked and Famous, and Morgan references a Trent Reznor story that's not immediately familiar to me. In any case, it's a very good interview.

http://thelabmagazine.com/2013/12/31/white-sea/
    I wonder when that would have been. Probably during the writing of WT, I remember reading somewhere that trent had trouble writing sober and most of the WT songs were written on piano. Haven't heard that story though

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I wonder when that would have been. Probably during the writing of WT, I remember reading somewhere that trent had trouble writing sober and most of the WT songs were written on piano. Haven't heard that story though
    Sometime around 1997, Trent was consulting with Rick Rubin about how to get moving on his next album. Rick put him up in a cabin in Big Sur, where it was just him and a piano. It was mostly unproductive, depressing and horrible, but that's also where he wrote La Mer.

To prepare, Reznor rented a house by the ocean in Big Sur and began writing songs at a grand piano. The results, he quickly decided, sucked. “Once I start sounding like Willie Nelson,” he says, “then I’m like, OK, I have to get back to the computer.”
    --Salon

If it's difficult for him to say what he's after, it has been no less frustrating for him to chase it down. On the advice of producer Rick Rubin, Reznor packed off to Big Sur, California, for a month. "Another thing that's probably slowed the procedure down
    "The whole idea of going up to Big Sur was to try writing songs on a piano versus the way I'd always done it in the past, which was to start with a loop or a bass line - and also to avoid becoming a parody of myself."
    It was a noble idea, but Reznor quickly labels it a disaster.
    "It was fucking hellacious being up there," he says of some of the most beautiful coastline in the world. "What creeps up on you is the feeling that it would be great if you were here with your girlfriend for a weekend. But when the element of complete and utter isolation creeps in... it'd be nice to stare at the 5000 stars in the sky with someone. That- on top of the fact that it was about a 300-foot cliff at the end of the front yard."
    --Jan 1998 Alt Press

Reznor headed to a house in Big Sur, California, for a change of scene. He brought a few musical ideas - and a lot more emotional baggage. "It just took me time to sit down and change my head and my life around. I had to slap myself in the face: "If you want to kill yourself, do it, save everybody the fucking hassle. Or get your shit together."

"I thought Big Sur would be a nice break," he says and smiles. "It was sheer terror. Isolation on the side of a mountain, an hour from the nearest grocery store. I really didn't want to be by myself. I wasn't prepared for it."

--Rolling Stone

Going up to "Big Sur" was interesting and disastrous at the same time, being totally alone on the side of a mountain an hour away from the nearest grocery store with just your dogs and violent, loud ocean. And it turned into that crashing rocks isolation chamber which started to drive me insane.
    --Raygun 1998

"When i got in touch with Rick Rubin about doing the album, he said, 'As a friend and a fan, be aware that i think you're boxing yourself in a corner. There's only much more extreme you can get lyrically.' He told me to try writing a record alone at the piano instead of a drum machine. i tried. I went to Big Sur and lived in a house by myself. I went insane and almost killed myself sitting at a piano trying to write like Tom Petty does. I think Petty's great. I also realized that when i sit down and do that it starts to sound like Billy Joel's The Stranger."

--CMJ Sept 1997

Spin Magazine apparently visited him at his Big Sur house to interview him about being named Most Vital Artist of 1997. You can read that here.
    Notable quote: "I'd really like to get into more film scoring. I think I'd be good at it."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Super cool. I really respect El-P as a producer. I think that Run the Jewels is an excellent album and the Only remix is one of my fave NIN remixes.
    I absolutley love his mid-2000s work. Cutting edge, ground breaking and progressive stuff. You probably already have, but if you havent, check out Fantastic Damage and his album he produced for Aesop Rock, Bazooka Tooth. IMO, 2 of the best hip-hop albums of all time. His disc he did with Cannibal Ox is great too (cant remember the name of that one), as is 2 of his instrumental discs, Collecting the Kid, and the excellent High Water (that he did with The Blue Series Contimuum)

anyways, what I came here to post...

Driving home from work today with the radio on the local modern rock station (KRRO) barely audible in the backround, and all of a sudden I hear a familiar bass line... So i turn it up, and the station has decided, almost 20 years after the album was released, to use Piggy as the backround music in one of their station IDs.

(they have also used Fear Factory's Demanufacture (one of my all time favorite songs) as the intro music to their "loud and local" show. Fear Factory, while not being local to Sioux Falls, is deferentially loud...)
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-03-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Japan ftw.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I saw a NIN sticker slapped onto the back of someone's car at the mall on NYE. It's good to see one of those. I wish I had one on my car.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trents making music again look at his instagram

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Trents making music again look at his instagram
    If you can't get on instagram:

"Day 1. Will explain later."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Making music, or rehearsals? I want new NIN as much as anyone, but this seems really soon, and we know they're rehearsing for an electronic tour. GOD DAMN IT TRENT WHY YOU TEASE SO GOOD.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm usually wrong when I speculate but I would guess it's rehearsals. The explain later will be lineup changes/ his vision for this tour. But because I'm wrong its a new album or soundtrack

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    He actually just bought that and wants to show off his new toy to the internet like Ally does. He's not writing any new music, and nothing special is going on rehearsals-wise.
    Because he's a fucking troll and would do something like that just to get us excited.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    In Episode 7 of Ziltoid Radio, Devin Townsend, performing his alien-puppet-alter-ego-character thing Ziltoid, plays Closer at 26:41 and makes fun of it and Trent's whining. Devin has previously said in a Formspring Q&A that he's a fan of TR's music and production techniques, but loathes his voice and lyrics; he'd love to collaborate with him sometime, though (plus, in the early days of Strapping Young Lad, he had sampled "Happiness in Slavery" in the song "Centipede").

http://www.teamrockradio.com/shows/ziltoid-radio
    Last edited by wizfan; 01-06-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: punctuation

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Someone on Reddit guessed that "Day 1" is a cryptic reference to NIN playing the first day of Coachella, which should be announced soon. Not a bad guess.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I am currently reading "How Music Works", by David Byrne. On page 84 of the paperback edition he writes about the demonstrations of recorded music Edison would hold when advertising early audio recordings. Byrne joked along the lines of, "you can bet NIN and Insane Clown Posse were not played at the parties."

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've been reading the same book. There are one or two other TR/NIN mentions in it, IIRC.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Maybe TR is doing the Gone Girl soundtrack after all?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Maybe TR is doing the Gone Girl soundtrack after all?
    Just a reminder - this is NIN-Spotting, not NIN-speculating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to mention NIN is touring throughout many different countries all this year and Gone Girl comes out in October.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eet-metal.html

Worst NIN spotting ever.
    Someone had to post this, sorry about that.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This reviewer thinks a Nine Inch Nails track was played in last night's episode of Community (there wasn't, by the way):

The show’s elasticity allows it to have a whacked-out rave scene set in the lunchroom and scored by Nine Inch Nails and Dave Matthews Band (true fans would call him “Dave”) right up against a genuinely touching scene where Shirley tells Jeff and Annie that Pierce has died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seen on Facebook:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "I loathe your music. Make music with me."
    Not one's best line.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Top 200 North American tours:
    http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...ricanTours.pdf

#68 - Nine Inch Nails

Gross (millions) - 14.4
    Avg Ticket price - $73.12
    Avg Tickets - 6,353
    Total Tickets - 196,936
    Average Gross - 464,516
    Cities/Shows - 31/32

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    This reviewer thinks a Nine Inch Nails track was played in last night's episode of Community (there wasn't, by the way):
    I saw this review earlier, I was confused as I never heard any NIN.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I guess an acappella version of Radiohead's Creep passes as a NIN track these days.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    How the fuck does Kid Rock beat NIN by almost 30 slots

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Top 200 North American tours:
    http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...ricanTours.pdf

#68 - Nine Inch Nails

Gross (millions) - 14.4
    Avg Ticket price - $73.12
    Avg Tickets - 6,353
    Total Tickets - 196,936
    Average Gross - 464,516
    Cities/Shows - 31/32

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    How the fuck does Kid Rock beat NIN by almost 30 slots
    By playing nearly twice as many shows? 60+ looking him up on wiki seems like one of the tours was with ZZ Top - also maybe people just have shit taste in music?

Spotting : redemptive power of Hurt in the Christian Post

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ch...chorus-111501/
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-11-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Apologies if previously posted. NME tossers doing their best to make me hate them again...

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/1...20songs%20ever