Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    This reviewer thinks a Nine Inch Nails track was played in last night's episode of Community (there wasn't, by the way):
    I saw this review earlier, I was confused as I never heard any NIN.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    This reviewer thinks a Nine Inch Nails track was played in last night's episode of Community (there wasn't, by the way):
    I guess an acappella version of Radiohead's Creep passes as a NIN track these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seen on Facebook:

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Top 200 North American tours:
    http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...ricanTours.pdf

#68 - Nine Inch Nails

Gross (millions) - 14.4
    Avg Ticket price - $73.12
    Avg Tickets - 6,353
    Total Tickets - 196,936
    Average Gross - 464,516
    Cities/Shows - 31/32

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    How the fuck does Kid Rock beat NIN by almost 30 slots

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

#68 - Nine Inch Nails

Gross (millions) - 14.4
    Avg Tickets - 6,353
    Total Tickets - 196,936
    Average Gross - 464,516
    Cities/Shows - 31/32

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    By playing nearly twice as many shows? 60+ looking him up on wiki seems like one of the tours was with ZZ Top - also maybe people just have shit taste in music?

Spotting : redemptive power of Hurt in the Christian Post

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ch...chorus-111501/
    Last edited by WorzelG; 01-11-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Yeah, I was shocked about that very thing as well. I was going to make a remark about it, but I didn't. Kinda disgusting when you think about it.
    Most of the other artists above NIN you understand, but Kid Rock literally raises an eyebrow.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Yeah, I was shocked about that very thing as well. I was going to make a remark about it, but I didn't. Kinda disgusting when you think about it.
    Most of the other artists above NIN you understand, but Kid Rock literally raises an eyebrow.
    New Kids On The Block at #29, and Kid Rock is the one that stands out?

Jeebus.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

#68 - Nine Inch Nails

Gross (millions) - 14.4
    Avg Tickets - 6,353
    Total Tickets - 196,936
    Average Gross - 464,516
    Cities/Shows - 31/32
    Very interesting. Thanks a lot for posting this!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks a lot for posting this!
    Just a sincere heads up (I really spent all my condescension in that last post) but that's what the "Like" button is for. If you have something to add to the conversation, that's cool, but you can express this same sentiment much more easily, and as a bonus, it becomes quantifiable.

Where were we? Hypebot's not sure about Beats. They put together a whole lot of Trent's quotes on the topic and bat the idea back and forth a bit.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Just a sincere heads up (I really spent all my condescension in that last post) but that's what the "Like" button is for. If you have something to add to the conversation, that's cool, but you can express this same sentiment much more easily, and as a bonus, it becomes quantifiable.

Where were we? Hypebot's not sure about Beats. They put together a whole lot of Trent's quotes on the topic and bat the idea back and forth a bit.
    For sure! But, I was also trying to bump the cool link to the most recent page of the thread.

Nice article, i tend to agree with their sentiment that
    "
    Reznor's actual comments suggest that he isn't aware of the history or landscape of music curation and discovery."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Apologies if previously posted. NME tossers doing their best to make me hate them again...

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/1...20songs%20ever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've found this interview with Trent by the Vive Latino staff:

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by high def ultra-realism View Post

Excellent news at the end re: plans for a new NIN record/tour cycle after this one!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Nooo!! We want a "self-indulgent two-hour art jam"!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

He mentioned Saul Williams! That probably doesn't mean anything, but I hope they do something together again. Saul is one of my favorite rappers. And also Death Grips collaborations? That sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    He mentioned Saul Williams! That probably doesn't mean anything, but I hope they do something together again. Saul is one of my favorite rappers. And also Death Grips collaborations? That sounds awesome.
    I was at a poetry reading Saul did about 2 years ago and I asked him about that. He said there isn't anything planned .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Does this count as spotting?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    Does this count as spotting?
    Glad you asked! That's more of a 'random NIN' post than a Spotting. In very early incarnations of this thread, people would post things as insignificant as a NIN bumper sticker on a trash can in their local Subway. While, yes, you've spotted a NIN, what's the benefit of sharing that? That's not to say there aren't people out there who might be thrilled to see NIN bumper stickers in weird places (there's a thread idea for you), but compared to something like "New interview with Trent in New Zealand reveals details about Grammy incident" a picture of the cover of The Fragile on another forum isn't terribly interesting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ha! i almost thought i was about to read yet another blog on how trent copied an original johnny cash song! at least this guy got song origins right...

Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Apologies if previously posted. NME tossers doing their best to make me hate them again...

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/1...20songs%20ever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    a new article about beats music featuring some comments by trent. really looking forward to hearing more about this, even though i can't try it first hand in canada.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/ar...usic&seid=auto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doucette View Post
    a new article about beats music featuring some comments by trent. really looking forward to hearing more about this, even though i can't try it first hand in canada.

And a similar article on the launch of Beats Music from the WSJ. Includes a number of quotes from TR.

Is it the norm to include quotes here? The other forums I post on it is very much appreciated if a few choice quotes are cut out and pasted in the post, so I've taken the liberty of posting the majority of TR's quotes.

“I arrogantly thought if I was free of a record label, I could figure it out,” said Mr. Reznor, 48. “There was about five minutes of celebration followed by a kind of hollow: what are we going to do now? Including your album on 60 million flash drives in Russia sounds like a good idea – until when you really get down to it.” Then, he added, “It’s kind of stupid.”
    “I’d find myself furious at fans because why? Because they were excited to listen to my new music over here instead of over here,” Mr. Reznor said. “At the same time I could put myself in shoes of the consumer.”

In the end, he said of his marketing experiments, “all of it was a lot of work, and all of it felt piecemeal. It was such a quickly evolving landscape that there wasn’t any real business model to be found.”

Then Mr. Reznor tried Spotify. After the initial thrill of finding his own music, he said the service “didn’t suck me in – I had to remind myself to keep using it.” So he began to dream up his own version designed primarily for smartphones that could “magically” play the right song for every moment. When he heard Mr. Iovine was already working on a service to do the same, he said he insisted on “a seat at the table.”
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/11/trent-reznor-and-jimmy-iovine-discuss-the-new-beats-music-service/
    Last edited by Winter Is Coming; 01-11-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doucette View Post

lol trent gets a stool because he's only like five feet tall

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    lol trent gets a stool because he's only like five feet tall
    lol this is nin spotting, not "post things you were thinking when reading stuff posted to nin spotting" lol lol lol

lol

lloll

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Ryan Turek from shocktillyoudrop.com made this comment on Twitter while watching the Golden Globes:

"Trent Reznor to play David O. Russell in the David O. Russell story."

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Mr. Reznor described his involvement with the service as the culmination of years of experimentation in his own career in response to the music industry’s tumult.

“What is the next business model?” he asked. “Somebody’s got to crack it. Why not me?”

Using his music as something of a Petri dish for new ways to distribute music, Mr. Reznor tried the mystery-marketing model, the free model and the multiple-price-points model, but came to see them as stunts. Subscription, he decided, was the only plan that made sense in the long run.
    Anyone else get a bad feeling that the next NIN album might be released only on Beats? Especially since the last live EP was exclusive to Spotify.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Anyone else get a bad feeling that the next NIN album might be released only on Beats? Especially since the last live EP was exclusive to Spotify.
    90% sure they've already said the Greatest Hits would come out on Beats before anything else

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I hope not. I, for one, do not use Spotify or own the Beats headphones or whatever (love my Sennheiser's). If it's an actual "album," denoted with a Halo, I would like to think Trent would release it commercially (e.g. CD, Vinyl, Digital).

He might make it a perk to purchase it via Beats, maybe for the sole purpose of bonus tracks or something of that sort. I guess that makes sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Might be premiered via Beats.
    I think its a safe bet that Dre's 'Detox' or whatever the Chronic's follow-up LP is called, will be a Beats exclusive.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    4-track live EP is just what it is. There is no way a full album or greatest hits will be limited to one format.