Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2006

Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    ^ IDGAF about Louis CK. I specifically chose him for a reason though, and it's that others do care. They are much more likely to take a step back and think about something instead of acting emotionally.
    I think he's particularly relevant because this movie he's made is basically about sexual assault. Also, he funded it with money directly from people who supported his last project and sent us all an e-mail gloating about it (the movie, that is, and funding it — not gloating about being accused of anything, obviously).
    Last edited by botley; 11-09-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Is it a weird feeling though? This self-aggrandizing need to just start internet arguments? Seems weird to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Is what you described actually assault if he didn't make any physical contact? Is it fair to the guy who jerked off in a room to be treated the same as the guy who raped multiple people? k
    I think, legally, the above is sexual harassment if it doesn't involve a minor, although each state's laws are different regarding sexual assault, there is no national law. But, YES, sexual harassment is still pretty fucked up.

Can you imagine if your wife went to work and her boss cornered her in a room and jacked off in front of her, even if it wasn't ON her it's just fucked up and wrong and unacceptable and possibly illegal depending on the state's laws re indecent exposure even if the victim isn't a minor, and certainly grounds for being fired, sued, maligned, etc.

But my goal was to hit a soft spot and see how much people are willing to discuss the long term impacts, or if acting short term is the primary instinct.
    Do you realize that this stuff has actually HAPPENED TO many of us? And this soft spot is also known as a "trigger?" So, really, what you are doing re this subject could actually cause people emotional harm by making this seem like, hey, dude, wtf, who cares?
    Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Dude wtf? Well, I won't deny that there is some serious poetry in the timing here.

But my goal was to hit a soft spot and see how much people are willing to discuss the long term impacts, or if acting short term is the primary instinct.
    I think there is a very clear line that separates what goes and what doesn't. Ie. I don't care if a celebrity is the worst husband and father on Earth, because legally and even humanly speaking, you can do that. People will cheat one another and parents will abandon their children; it's sad, but it happens. Same thing with stuff like scientology. I think Tom Cruise is a nutjob, but I'm not religious to begin with, so I couldn't care less. Yes, they kidnap some people, while the bishops sexually assault children. Potato, potato; as long as someone is not directly involved in this just spreading the message of some greater good, then I say whatever.

But repeated sexual offenders are on some other, animalistic level. I don't want to distinct between someone who is "just" an offender and did not assault anyone, and I don't want to live in a world where there is a difference, except legally speaking. Also, I'd rather someone touch my crotch against my will than lock me up and force me to do his/her thing. Get these assholes out, even if it's a hypocrite move, because there are plenty others who are guilty just as much, we just don't know it (yet), but that is no excuse for those who are already caught redhanded.

I think the bar is already pretty damn low, so if you can't even live your life without being a disgusting piece of shit, then I feel no remorse if your career and life is ruined as fast as a heartbeat.

One grey area is domestic violence. We could talk about it, but hitting your spouse is nowhere near the level of sexually forcing yourself onto someone else.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I think, legally, the above is sexual harassment if it doesn't involve a minor, although each state's laws are different regarding sexual assault, there is no national law. But, YES, sexual harassment is still pretty fucked up.
    And Louis is a powerful rich man with access to people who can easily defend him against legal action. There's not going to be ANY criminal proceeding, likely no civil suit either, even though this was workplace-related misconduct. All we have is public shaming.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    What a class guy! He even asked the women if it was okay. Sure, he didn't care about the yes or no, but still.

Does this guy want to be caught btw? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but in hindsight, it's like he wishes someone would bash his head into a wall and tell him what a sick jerk he is. Either way, I hope no one will ride the "oh, poor guy has issues!!" train. There is professional help and there are a bunch of other, quasi normal way to live down your fetishes, especially if you are rich as hell.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yup. Fuck him. He's a sexual predator. Shame away. I hope his career is destroyed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed. What a bummer.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    A few things:

1 - Is what you described actually assault if he didn't make any physical contact?

2 - Why is every accusation pertaining to anything sexually being treated with equal career-ending punishment? Is it fair to the guy who jerked off in a room to be treated the same as the guy who raped multiple people? Is it fair to the victims of the guy who raped multiple people that their attacker's punishment only matches what a masturbator gets?

3 - Further questioning about the puritanical responses of late. The vast majority of good art comes from very flawed and damaged individuals. Are we really going to ditch the art of every person found to to do anything sexually unacceptable? Would we prefer an artless world for one where we can pretend the famous people are pure? It's not like you are going to eradicate this shit from humanity in any way. Humans are shit.

I agree that, if there are legit victims, then the perpetrator should receive whatever consequences anyone, of any class, would receive for the same crime. But we should at least address the uncomfortable topics above, especially when all this is playing out in the court of public opinion.
    Cornering two women in a room, taking out your penis, and then masturbating in front of them without letting them leave is SEXUAL. ASSAULT.

I liked Louis C.K.

Fuck Louis C.K.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It just seems that he's some masturbation fetish weirdo and they were free to leave the moment he dropped his pants, without any repercussions.

I'm not defending him, he's definitely a shit-bag, but this is nowhere near Harvey/Spacey level misconduct.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    It just seems that he's some masturbation fetish weirdo and they were free to leave the moment he dropped his pants, without any repercussions.
    Other than the multiple times the article mentioned him physically blocking the exit so no one could leave...yes, that's correct?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Even if he DIDN'T, you don't do something sexual to or in front of another person if they don't consent. Period. PERIOD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Other than the multiple times the article mentioned him physically blocking the exit so no one could leave...yes, that's correct?
    Missed that, thanks.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wasn't trying to be an ass, sorry if it sounded snarky, but theruiner is right...like I said in another thread...2017 seems like whomever did whatever, they know that this day and age we no longer have the ability to say 'fuck _______ i'm done being a fan' without hearing 'well actually...' (again, not implying you).

I don't care if it was his personal assistant or the pizza delivery guy. Fuck Louis CK lol.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Holy shit, couldn't watch it through the end. This must've given him some extreme high, because even my hands were sweating just by imagining myself in his place.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I am really shocked about Sheen and Haim.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    and no, im not the type who needs to have a wife/daughter/etc to understand what is or isn't wrong in context to women, so the imagining doesn't change anything for me. =
    that's a really good point.

Re sexual assault vs sexual harassment, the below is from FindLaw (again, each state defines these things completely different, each state has a entire LIBRARY full of its own criminal laws):

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...-exposure.html

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...-overview.html

Here are the actual laws here in Illinois: http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilc...eqEnd=21000000

(720 ILCS 5/11-30) (was 720 ILCS 5/11-9)
    Sec. 11-30. Public indecency.
    (a) Any person of the age of 17 years and upwards who performs any of the following acts in a public place commits a public indecency:
    (1) An act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct; or
    (2) A lewd exposure of the body done with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desire of the person.
    Breast-feeding of infants is not an act of public indecency.
    (b) "Public place" for purposes of this Section means any place where the conduct may reasonably be expected to be viewed by others.
    (c) Sentence.
    Public indecency is a Class A misdemeanor. A person convicted of a third or subsequent violation for public indecency is guilty of a Class 4 felony. Public indecency is a Class 4 felony if committed by a person 18 years of age or older who is on or within 500 feet of elementary or secondary school grounds when children are present on the grounds.
    (Source: P.A. 96-1098, eff. 1-1-11; 96-1551, eff. 7-1-11.)

If this all is going to lead to some people being falsely accused, then it's reached some weird level of "wow, this sure gets us a lot of publicity" levels, which is just sad. We're doomed.

But, this is all shaking out to be in two categories: (a) Harassing assholes and (b) criminal assaulters and predators
    Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Man this sucks if it starts in on the fake accusers.
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    that's a really good point.

Re sexual assault vs sexual harassment, the below is from FindLaw (again, each state defines these things completely different, each state has a entire LIBRARY full of its own criminal laws):

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...-exposure.html

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...-overview.html

Here are the actual laws here in Illinois: http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilc...eqEnd=21000000

If this all is going to lead to some people being falsely accused, then it's reached some weird level of "wow, this sure gets us a lot of publicity" levels, which is just sad. We're doomed.

But, this is all shaking out to be in two categories (even the ILLINOIS CONGRESS is requiring legislators to take the Sexual Harassment course): (a) Harassing assholes and (b) criminal assaulters and predators

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Man this sucks if it starts in on the fake accusers.
    I think there may be some "fake accusers" who will only care about capitalizing on something, because that's our greedy hollywood culture. But, overall, this is all really positive because of the positive changes that are being made.

Re sexual harassment, anyway. We've been fighting that battle for, like, CENTURIES in the work place and in the armed forces, so if some training comes out of this, it's all a step in the right direction.

Joy Behar on the View says that the comedy business has been filled with sexual harassment for many many years, still happens today. She told stories about having been sexually harassed by a supervisor when she was a GRADE SCHOOL TEACHER.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Anyway, @allegro , my comment about understanding a women's perspective wasn't meant to come off aggressively. I just wanted to say that the wife/daughter appeal wasn't needed. In fact, I've always found it a fucked up appeal that tons of men are prone to making with other men. I can't imagine how shitty it must be to be a wife hearing your husband say "ever since I had a daughter... something something respecting women" .... with the clear implication being that your husband had little respect for you as a woman before that. Fucking... people are shit.
    No no, I totally agree with you, you make a good point; us females (many of us, anyway) tend to try to use the Pathos argument about these things because otherwise nobody seems to give a shit because it's not gonna happen to THEM, so Pathos is "okay, then what if it was your SISTER?" because we can't seem to get them to grok the argument from the Logos or Ethos standpoint.

But, you're right, LOGOS and ETHOS should be sufficient, without the need for Pathos.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm not surprised by Steven Seagal since he is a scumbag. After all, he beat up Kelly LeBrock during their marriage and I'm not surprised by those auditions. There's also.... ugh.... this....

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I remember having to read Paradise Lost my first year in college. I didn't have the best instructor so I had no idea what we were trying to do with it.

Loved reading that bit about it. Even if it's not there anymore.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I remember having to read Paradise Lost my first year in college. I didn't have the best instructor so I had no idea what we were trying to do with it.

Loved reading that bit about it. Even if it's not there anymore.
    Sorry, I edited it out because I thought it might be drift and too into the weeds ...

Maybe we can start a Paradise Lost thread in the Literature forum. My Capstone project made me pretty obsessed with Paradise Lost, after having buried myself in SEVERAL FEET of academic research for an entire semester (AND I got to see Stanley Fish do a lecture at the University of Illinois at Chicago for a "Milton Fest" which was so fucking awesome) (Here are some useful Cliffs Notes, though.)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Thanks for reminding me that we also suffer from these obnoxious white-knights. "Trust women" ??? What the hell does that even mean, why would you write such a dumb sentence down.

Man, if I look one way, people sexually harass others "cuz they can" for decades, but if I look the other way, I see drooling idiots like this guy. Does "trust women" get you pussy, so you can force them to watch you masturbate to finish the circle or what?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Does "trust women" get you pussy, so you can force them to watch you masturbate to finish the circle or what?
    I am a woman, and a feminist, but I often wonder about the motivations of this kind of stuff these days, too, from guys online. This social media stuff, so much of it is shit, I do myself wonder if some of these guys are just trying to cash in on some "metoo" thing so they can get more hits or look really cool so they can get laid.

Ugh, it's all just ... ugh
    Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Are we really going to ditch the art of every person found to to do anything sexually unacceptable?
    The problem is that talented artists have always been granted de facto immunity for all their transgressions. They can hurt people, treat them like shit, and still rest assured that their career and their legacy will remain completely untarnished. All because they're "talented." They wrote some good songs, made some cool movies, whatever, so now they can do whatever the fuck they want and face no consequences, legal or otherwise. It's the ultimate immunity deal. If enough people cherish your work, you've essentially unlocked godmode and have been granted a license to rape and harass at will.

That's why it's so important to see that these people lose everything.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Agree! It's just good to see everyone's thinking here, especially where any limitations may reside in that thinking. Like I mentioned earlier, it's confusing why people didn't act when the Louis CK story came out in 2012 or 2015. I'm concerned the punishment aspect is fashionable or something.
    I think maybe people didn’t want it to be true.

Kinda like Woody Allen.

The case against him re Dylan was over 20 years ago and was highly publicized.

Even Ronan had problems “challenging” Woody over it:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/0...n-allegations/

More stories re creepy asshole Seagal (because there’s safety in numbers):

http://deadline.com/2017/11/jenny-mc...at-1202205465/

”So I stand across from (Seagal) and he plops onto a sofa that’s near a fireplace,” she said. “And he points at the sofa cushion next to him, saying to me, ‘Take a seat. Relax.’ I said, ‘No, thank you! I’m just really excited to read for this part. And I have so much energy I need to stand.’”

Seagal began to recount his experiences on combat missions before telling McCarthy, ‘’‘You know, this part has nudity in it. And I can’t really tell what your body looks like in that dress that you’re wearing.’ ”

McCarthy admitted to being alarmed by the obvious ploy. “In my head, I’m like, ‘Okay here we go. Sound the alarms, this is not a test, this is the real thing, activate all defense systems,’” McCarthy said. “But I so wanted to legitimately read for this part that I wasn’t gonna give up yet. So I told him, ‘Listen. My agent says there’s no nudity. I specifically asked her and she said no.’

McCarthy claims Seagal said, “There is off-camera nudity,” and asked her to lower her dress. A distressed McCarthy said she asked, ‘Could we please read the scene,’ ” but Seagal again made his request “so I can see your breasts.”

At that point, McCarthy started crying and claimed she yelled, “Go buy my Playboy video — it’s on sale for $19.99,” before departing.

The ordeal wasn’t over, though. As she reached her car, Seagal had followed her, and allegedly warned her not to tell anyone of their encounter “or else.”

“It was so disheartening,” she said. “And I thought about like, ‘I was the last girl that day. How many girls had to take off their clothes? How many girls had to do more?’ It just so grossed me out.”
    Last edited by allegro; 11-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.