Page 3 of 150 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    got this email this morning:

OCEANIA PRE-SALE BEGINS NOW AT WWW.SMASHINGPUMPKINS.COM
    We have also put all 2011 Tour Merch & Audio on sale. Get it while you can, quantities are limited and we won't make more!
    Thank you for supporting The Smashing Pumpkins and The Smashing Pumpkins Record Club.
    <3SPRC

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Might have to partake in some of those live mp3s. Assuming the setlists are all different from one another?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    No they are pretty much all identical, save for a track or two.

Pinwheels was only played on a handful of nights, the best recording being the Detroit Fillmore. A few were missing Pale Horse. The first night at the Wiltern in LA is the only setlist with Suffer in it. And in Chicago they did a couple Catherine songs in encore.

But essentially the standard set was;

Quasar
    Panopticon
    Starla
    Geek
    Muzzle
    Window
    Lightning Strikes
    Soma
    Siva
    Oceania
    Frail and Bedazzled
    Silverfuck
    Obscured
    Pale Horse
    Ruby
    Cherub Rock
    Owata
    My Love is Winter
    For Martha
    ----
    Pissant
    Bullet

It was a fucking bad ass setlist with a lot of cool rarities, and most of the songs sounded tight. I can only hope some of the songs like Ruby, Geek, or Window stick around for the Oceania tour. The NY Terrminal Five show is probably the best quality, and the only show you really need if you want a good place to start. I have a few shows from the tour, so I just transitioned Suffer (after Obscured) and Pinwheels (to start the encore) into that show and made a 'The Other Side of the Kaleidyscope Tour' 2 disc set. I will throw it up on the bay later this week if anyone wants it. I believe Zero was the only other song played on the tour, and that was exclusive to the Europe encores, and there were no soundboards from board made available for those shows.

In other news, they played a not so secret warm up show last week in Spain, and then the Rock in Rio festival. The latter had the entire show proshot and is up and available to view here;

The setlist was more hit heavy due to the festival, with a few nice nuggets left in (Starla), but they did bust out a Bowie cover of Space Oddity, and a Kiss cover of Black Diamond.

They also brought back a song I never expected to see again; XYU!!!

I think they did it justice. Very cool to see after all these years.

Lastly, as mentioned Oceania pre-order is up on the site, with some decent bundles with hoodies and tees that save you a bunch, but there is also some horrid pricing for the downloads, and some even more brutal international shipping charges (40+ bucks in some cases). The regular digi is 15.99. Which is fine, except the download only is 14.99, and 17.99 for the high fidelity version. Laughable. I don't know how they justify that, so stupid. Basically telling those who don't want a physical copy to steal it. Whatever. I wanted to grab the hoodie + Vinyl, but weirdly they don't have any Vinyl bundles, only the digis. Plus as mentioned the shipping is insane for me, so I'll just end up picking it up in store on the day of, or ordering from amazon with a bunch of other records I've been meaning to buy. Outside of the discount on the merch, there is no other incentive to order from the official site.

Definitely pumped to finally hear Oceania. It's been a long wait. There are/were samples up on iTunes and Amazon, but I refused to listen to them. The record should be streaming in full from the site prior to release sometime in the next two weeks or so, I can wait a little longer.
    Last edited by AgentofChaos; 05-29-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That Rock in Rio performance was pretty good. Was pleasantly surprised at the band's take on Pantera's Walk.

for those interested, here are sample clips from Oceania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Album is streaming for free on iTunes. I haven't gotten a chance to listen yet but the reviews I'm reading have been very positive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Where on itunes? I looked, but haven't found anything about a stream.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Believe it or not, it looks like Corgan knocked this one out of the park. All the SP fans, even the cynical ones, are praising the SHIT out of this record. A true return to form, supposedly. Can find hardly a single negative word about it across the internets.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Listening to the stream right now. I'm not instantly blown away, but give me a few more listens through to decide whether I like it or not. (Then again, I hated Gish the first time I heard it, put it down for a couple of years, and fell in love when I picked it up again, so...)

I'll be at Metro on Thursday. Anyone else going?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    NM found it.
    Last edited by Piko; 06-11-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    http://www.iTunes.com/SmashingPumpkins

I think Billy can now be forgiven for zeitgeist and teargarden. This album is fantastic.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just skimming through right now. And I can already say it's miles ahead of Zeitgeist and Teargarden. The follow up that Machina deserved perhaps?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Just skimming through right now. And I can already say it's miles ahead of Zeitgeist and Teargarden. The follow up that Machina deserved perhaps?
    In fairness, Machina got the follow up it deserved, Machina II. That record kicks major fucking ass, despite some of the grainy production, which in some ways is actually part of its charm.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Was actually referring to Machina as a whole (both parts). Zeitgeist failed to live up to either. And teargarden was just a mess that would make you actually consider Zeitgeist to actually be a good album, which it isn't.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    http://www.iTunes.com/SmashingPumpkins

I think Billy can now be forgiven for zeitgeist and teargarden. This album is fantastic.

Here's one of the reasons I still hang around these forums, thanks very much for the heads up!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Was actually referring to Machina as a whole (both parts). Zeitgeist failed to live up to either. And teargarden was just a mess that would make you actually consider Zeitgeist to actually be a good album, which it isn't.
    Cool. Yeah, I hear ya. I don't know though, I still look back at the Zeitgeist era relatively favorably. The If All Goes Wrong DVD highlighted the best parts for me. AOL Sessions. Gossamer. The darkness of the 20th anniversary tour. It's all good shit, even if the record itself on the whole wasn't up to par. Even the extended version, with all 4 bonus tracks, improves things greatly. But I digress. Oceania is blowing my mind right now.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    You guys know where to find this anywhere else besides iTunes? I'd like to hear it, but I won't install iTunes just for that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    You guys know where to find this anywhere else besides iTunes? I'd like to hear it, but I won't install iTunes just for that.
    Check out a russian site called mediaboom.org, I don't know if I may post a direct link to the album, but that site always has every leaked/released new album, and I'm downloading Oceania from there right now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Am on the second track and it's actually fairly decent. What the hell happened?!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    Check out a russian site called mediaboom.org, I don't know if I may post a direct link to the album, but that site always has every leaked/released new album, and I'm downloading Oceania from there right now.
    Can't find a link to download...

edit - nm
    Last edited by Piko; 06-12-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: found what I was looking for

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    looks like it's gone already. dang.

nvm- soulseek to the rescue!
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 06-12-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Or, it was dragged away and being held by a demon.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Even though I don't think his singing/lyrics are very good anymore...the music part of this is awesome so far.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    after giving it one listen, that's the conclusion i come to as well. musically, it's the best thing he's done since the reunion. lyrically and vocally, it's still coming up short. while i understand that folks grow up and grow out, i miss the melancholy/angst aspect of the pumpkins, which has been long gone since zwan. in fact, the new record comes off like a much better zwan. the lyrics are just so... positive. which again, well and good and i'm glad billy is in a much better place, but it's not what i'm looking for.

so, while i like it a fair amount, i just have to get over the fact that i'll never hear a new pumpkins song with that same magic.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 06-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Listened to it 5 times now since last night. I've truly fallen in love. It's exactly what I wanted. So fucking good. To me, it's still one big piece with various twists and turns, I even don't have tracks I like or dislike, I simply dig the entire experience. A summer record if there ever was one.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It definitely exceeded all expectations. After only 2 listens I think the standouts so far are Pinwheels, Pale Horse, Glissandra and Inkless. Surely these will change.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    'glissandra' was a standout for me, too. feel those my bloody valentine tones!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i quite enjoyed "Zeitgeist"
    "Mellon Collie" and "Adore" are my favorite albums from them

...but unfortunately i'm not feeling this new album
    listening to the full album stream and nothing really is gelling with me
    "Zeitgeist," even if it was just Billy and Jimmy, still felt more Pumpkins than this...
    I mean, its not horrible or anything... it just doesn't feel like a Pumpkins follow up
    Maybe a Zwan follow up, just feels all too light-hearted
    And Im not feeling the lyrics on this one
    Last edited by neorev; 06-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, my opinion skews along the same lines as everyone else who's posted here. It's so much fun to listen to, it reminds me of Rush, Jean Michel Jarre, even a very tiny bit of Tangerine Dream. It's got the best guitar playing I've heard from Corgan since friggin' Mellon Collie. His vocals don't bother me, but I'm one of those who never thought Corgan's singing was anything to write home about. His lyrics here are pure derp. At this point, Corgan's lyrics sound best when he's either hammering on about his usual vaguely religious nonsense or going further into full-on word association psychedelia. When he tries to talk about how happy he is and how great everything's going to be from now on, he sounds unconvincing. His extreme anxiety seeps through at every seam; I think that nervousness was what turned a lot of people off Zwan, and it's in effect here as well. Billy Corgan is, like a classic dictator, scariest when he's in a good mood.