Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103
Results 3,061 to 3,083 of 3083

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    And I'm not denying MBV had an influence on ol' Billz. Clearly did. But that kind of snide, undermining comparison is tantamount to Skinny Puppy fans gnashing their teeth that Trent ripped off Dig It in 1988 to make Down In It. You gotta start somewhere; art's about influence.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I've listened to My Bloody Valentine, they were alright. Not bad, a lot more indie. Less instant in a way. I do find the drums a bit lacking as it feels like they just plod along in a slow head nodding kinda a way. Billy took that sound and made it more catchy and accessible while JC's drumming takes it up a whole other level and gives the songs an urgent pulse that is missing in My Bloody Valentine stuff. Hence why Billy ain't as good without JC. Billy's got the riffs and melodies, but Iha has the atmosphere and nuance that fills out the rest. But both bands are pretty different from each other and honestly shouldn't even be compared to each other in the first place.

This is like comparing Deftones to Hum. Deftones were heavily inspired by Hum's You'd Prefer An Astronaut down to its album cover, but still polar opposites.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Brief notes:

Also can't find a screencap of the post, but he also said that as soon as the current round of shows are done, he's going right into working on the Machina box and his solo album.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really hope that the two European shows they're playing at the end of the tour sold well enough to initiate a bigger tour next time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I've listened to My Bloody Valentine, they were alright. Not bad, a lot more indie. Less instant in a way. I do find the drums a bit lacking as it feels like they just plod along in a slow head nodding kinda a way. Billy took that sound and made it more catchy and accessible while JC's drumming takes it up a whole other level and gives the songs an urgent pulse that is missing in My Bloody Valentine stuff. Hence why Billy ain't as good without JC. Billy's got the riffs and melodies, but Iha has the atmosphere and nuance that fills out the rest. But both bands are pretty different from each other and honestly shouldn't even be compared to each other in the first place.

This is like comparing Deftones to Hum. Deftones were heavily inspired by Hum's You'd Prefer An Astronaut down to its album cover, but still polar opposites.
    MBV live has some of the best drumming I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Amen to that. 98 different variations of it on last.fm are incoming.
    Yeah. It's gonna be fucking bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SOme interesting stuff from someone who had obvious influence for the past 12 years who you don't really hear to much from!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    SP and reunited Nirvana (Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, & McAulay) should tour together.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    SP and reunited Nirvana (Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, & McAulay) should tour together.
    Will never happen, and also, stop that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    sounds interesting... hm...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sounds about what was expected, should be ok but not glorious.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    “Billy singing about riding rainbows” oh fucking hell this is gonna be so great (and by great I mean awe-inspiringly bad)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not going to take lyric commentary out of context. Too easy to form preconceived notions.

"Welp, this song called Rhinoceros has a chorus consisting entirely of 'she knows'. Shitty pun, record must suck."

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Rhinoceros was also back when SP was more about the overall music and sound and not vocal-forward brickwalled bullshit. Billy’s at times repetitive and often poetic-but-meaningless writing were way more fitting to that dreamier, buried in the mix feel. Now we get him singing in that godawful new style way louder than any instruments but the lyrics are boring at best and repetitive as shit. They used to be less of a centerpiece than they are now but they’re bringing nothing substantial to the table.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I dunno, man. When I think of vocals buried in a mix, I think of, well, MBV, maybe Cocteau Twins. The vox were never quite as forward in the old days as they are now - IMO that changed around Machina but only got noticeably bad on ZG - but he always sounded clear to me. There's not a lyric on SD or MCIS that doesn't demand attention, poignant or otherwise, as far as I'm concerned. Stupid lyrics have always been a part of SP:

"Everybody's business is everybody's business", "bang bang you're dead, hole in your head", etc. I'm still not sure what the fuck "climb my ribcage too, the replays run for you" is supposed to even be talking about, but I don't care and never have because the song's good. I can agree that them being more forward might draw more attention when things stand out as awkward, but FWIW I actually find the lyrics on Silvery a lot more straightforward than he's been in a while. I think he's realized he had to take a step or two back since Oceania - I was surprised to hear him say something as honest-sounding as "I just got tired" on Ogilala.

Also: Mentions of James on EBow are making me moist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    that new video... LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not for me. But at least they seem to be having fun with these ridiculous videos lately.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I love it. Just silly and goofy and they're plainly all having fun with it, and also plainly flipping the bird to people who hated seeing Mark McGrath up on the tour videos.

Good video for a song I still find good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I thought it was a fun video. Dig the Drab Majesty cameo. If you haven't heard them, definitely checkout their most recent record.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    that new video... LOL

Feels a bit mediocre.

Also, it's puzzling why they front-ended that video with over two minutes of jabber.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    I hope we eventually find out what fucking blackmail McGrath has on Billy that lets him keep plaguing everything like this, wow. Mark has now talked more as a part of Smashing Pumpkins than James has all year.