Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103
Results 3,061 to 3,063 of 3063

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Try My Bloody Valentine instead...You will appreciate Kevin Shields genius and realize Billy boy was just copping some of that MBV sound with Siamese Dream
    I've only heard Siamese Dream once and I enjoyed it far more than Loveless, which I believe is overrated. It's brought down by lazy percussion, with seemingly the same drum fill on virtually every song. Once you notice it, the entire record becomes tedious. I really enjoy about four or five songs on that album. To Here Knows When is beautiful.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    And I'm not denying MBV had an influence on ol' Billz. Clearly did. But that kind of snide, undermining comparison is tantamount to Skinny Puppy fans gnashing their teeth that Trent ripped off Dig It in 1988 to make Down In It. You gotta start somewhere; art's about influence.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    I've listened to My Bloody Valentine, they were alright. Not bad, a lot more indie. Less instant in a way. I do find the drums a bit lacking as it feels like they just plod along in a slow head nodding kinda a way. Billy took that sound and made it more catchy and accessible while JC's drumming takes it up a whole other level and gives the songs an urgent pulse that is missing in My Bloody Valentine stuff. Hence why Billy ain't as good without JC. Billy's got the riffs and melodies, but Iha has the atmosphere and nuance that fills out the rest. But both bands are pretty different from each other and honestly shouldn't even be compared to each other in the first place.

This is like comparing Deftones to Hum. Deftones were heavily inspired by Hum's You'd Prefer An Astronaut down to its album cover, but still polar opposites.