Page 106 of 150 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 4497

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    If you're comparing it the older stuff, it doesn't come close at all. If lumped with Zeitgeist and Monuments, it's way better. It's very middle of the road. It had a low bar to pass, and it managed to rise above it, barely.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    the past few years, ive really gone back to Zeitgeist and really do have an appreciation for more of the songs. I've realized that these songs are increadible. It was Billy and Jimmy rocking the fuck out... I dont know why i didnt realy realize it then...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @dvdglss
    Yeah Zeitgeist is definitely the best of SP2.0 albums. Honestly I can pick songs off Teargarden, Oceania, Monuments (albums I do not like) that I prefer over any of the Shiny and Oh So Bright tracks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    @Shadaloo
    I'm more of a Mellon Collie and Adore fan than a Gish/Siamese Dream one and I still do not like the new album

I wouldn't mind a heavier side, but even these lighter songs come nowhere near any of the lighter songs from Mellon Collie/Adore. I like Pumpkins for their variety, but I just can't get into this album as many of the songs come off as really cheesy and others half hearted. I just don't FEEL anything listening to these tracks. Plus the lyrics are cringy.
    I don't disagree that the current batch of songs aren't as strong as the old ones, but that's a really far pedestal to reach for a variety of reasons.

I don't think it even is possible for any SP album made nowadays to stand up to MCIS, SD, Adore, etc., not only because of how good those albums are, but because of what an emotional and unforgettable experience it was first listening to them at the age I was then. Compare that to now. Corgan was absolutely the best at channeling teenage angst, and expecting the guy he is now to write something that can make the person I am now feel something that compares to then - it's just not going to happen.

And to be objective, BC's lyrics have always been hit or miss. "Everybody's business is everybody's business." I remember thinking "coil my tongue around a bumblebee mouth" was a dumb line that made absolutely no sense the first time I heard it. I don't bleed to every classic SP lyric.

For now I'm content to actually get some nice vivid imagery from his songs, the way I'm getting from Travels.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Also, side note - what strikes me about this is basically "they sound like themselves again". If I had to pick a single statement that explains why I'm overall pretty happy with this, that's probably it. It's not as great as classic SP, clearly, but I can listen to most of these tracks and say "yeah, I can hear James or Jimmy's influence here". That goes a long way for me, I think.

And it sure as heck puts any worries I've got about them doing new recording for Machina to bed

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Every now and then, I try to give Zeitgeist a try. I really don't like it. The first half is fine aside from the horrible production. I don't like the second half at all. It's probably Jimmy's best work too. Hopefully, it gets remixed at some point. That would help a ton.

Some of those songs are just boring and atrocious. Oceania is many times better.

Zeitgeist is one of my least favorite albums, ever. Not a long list...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love loved all the 2.0 work. I only wish Nicole would have stayed on, because her contributions to Oceania (Pinwheels, for example) are so lovely.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    I love loved all the 2.0 work. I only wish Nicole would have stayed on, because her contributions to Oceania (Pinwheels, for example) are so lovely.
    Yeah, she was a great fit. Sucks she left.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Yeah, she was a great fit. Sucks she left.
    Left? That is a nice way of saying Billy gave her the boot and question her dedication to the band.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Left? That is a nice way of saying Billy gave her the boot and question her dedication to the band.
    Yeah, I know... Billy being being pretty much.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Billy is such a thin-skinned pussy. Punish your fans who do like the album because some people told you they don't like it. Makes sense.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Billy is such a thin-skinned pussy. Punish your fans who do like the album because some people told you they don't like it. Makes sense.
    He's been a dick to his fans a lot more than usual lately on IG. Not a fan of the album (obviously). But, that's just a weird and petty move.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He seems to complain that his albums don't do as well commercially as they used to. He gripes about people not understanding Machina, not understanding Zeitgeist, not understanding MTAE. I don't think he grasps the concept while these records may not have been successful commercially, look at the lasting impact they've had on fans. It took me awhile to appreciate Machina, but now I consider it their best record and I'm beyond ecstatic for the Box Set.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    He's been a dick to his fans a lot more than usual lately on IG. Not a fan of the album (obviously). But, that's just a weird and petty move.
    Yeah, I'm in a Facebook group (SPFreaks) that always posts his Instagram Q&As and MOST of his answers are super snarky, snobby, smartass replies. I mean, the people sending in the questions are fans, not the ones who bashed albums like Adore, Machina, or Zeitgiest, so there's no point in taking it out on them. I don't understand why he feels the need to be such a dick to his fans. He was my hero when I was younger, before I got into NIN. It makes me happy and grateful that Trent is known for being very nice to his fans and generally seems like a really cool, yet humble guy.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    They gave Monuments 4/5, Machina 3/5 and Zeitgeist 2/5.
    I personally don't care about reviews much but if anyone cares, put that into consideration.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This review sums up my feelings of this album quite well...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...te-sad-756290/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This review sums up my feelings of this album quite well...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...te-sad-756290/
    I don't like reviews like this--too clever by half. Does this guy also write for Pitchfork?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I still haven’t received a shipping confirmation or anything for the gold version I ordered... super pissed
    Last edited by dvdglss; 11-15-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Got my CD a day early, and it's not a cheap ass no frills one for once, thanks bullmoose!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    I still haven’t received a shipping confirmation or anything for the gold version I ordered... super pissed
    Napalm records?

I got my confirmation today for the box set with singles from the band's website.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 11-16-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yep. But reached out Via Email. was shipped a few days ago, but they have no intl shipping tracking info.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Can I say this isn't good? Like an "Anthony Fantano: NOT GOOD" kind of not good? lol.

Maybe being a tad harsh with that statement, but this record really did nothing for me.
    I like Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts), but that's about all. The rest of the record was all a blur to me. Nothing else really stood out.
    You figure with 3 of the original members back in the mix, this was going to blow everything out of the water they have done since breaking up.
    Not the case. In fact, I think "Monuments..." was their (or Billys) strongest "post break-up" record to date. I feel like Monuments was the true Pumpkins reunion album.
    They should have hung up their hat after that.

I'm glad they're passionate enough to make new music together and all, never thought I'd see that happen in a million years, but I just feel like the spark is lost.
    They got back together and gave it another go, but I think they should all just go their separate ways and go back to doing what they were doing before.
    This record is disappointing in so many ways.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    This "album" is garbage. Not that I expected anything less, but jesus. It's like eight faceless Oceania outtakes that are as bland as the album cover. Oceania was bad, but at least it had some variety. The production on this renders it sterile. Jimmy sounds like he's playing drums on a wet cardboard box, and I swear it's like they recorded no bass for these songs. The lyrics are particularly cringeworthy this time, too. It's hilarious how bad he sounds trying to rock out on that Marchin' On song..

Bleh.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    After a few more listens I am really starting to like this more and more. I see where they are going with this, should be interesting in the end, I think it's main issue now is that it's too short to be fully realized, it needs a few more songs to be a little more cohesive, just like monument did actually.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Awaiting Pitchforks 1.0 rating

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd give it a 3/5. I liked "Knights of Malta," despite being sort of initially unsure about it, "Silvery Sometimes," and "Marching On." The rest of the album I felt was sort of in the good-but-not-great range. The band and the production sound great, but the material was sort of average. I don't mind Billy returning to an earlier style, but most of the songs just weren't all that memorable, not bad, just not great. I actually enjoyed Oceania and MTAE a lot more.

It's still better than any of the songs from the Teargarden eps.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-17-2018 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...future-no-sun/

Pitchfork decimating it with a 3.4
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 11-19-2018 at 02:08 PM.