Page 77 of 150 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 4492

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Gotta love how suddenly everyone is jumping off and losing interest in this tour/reunion. Yeah, right.
    By this logic, no one should've went to NIN shows after Charlie rant, or to King Crimson after recent Fripp/Belew thing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I really like the Art Deco vibe and the custom type.

Last edited by sonic_discord; 02-15-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: extra tag

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Gotta love how suddenly everyone is jumping off and losing interest in this tour/reunion. Yeah, right.
    By this logic, no one should've went to NIN shows after Charlie rant, or to King Crimson after recent Fripp/Belew thing.
    Well, none of them was billed as a "reunion" tour to start with. Also, King Crimson is Fripp's vision, NIN is (was) Trent.
    But Pumpkins = Billy? Uhm... no.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Well, none of them was billed as a "reunion" tour to start with. Also, King Crimson is Fripp's vision, NIN is (was) Trent.
    To be fair, so far this has only been called a reunion by the press. We'll see if the official announcement uses that word in about 10 hours...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Heil Billy

Dull And Oh So Dark

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really don't understand why anyone is making a big deal about D'arcy not being part of the "reunion."

She didn't even play on the first two albums. She's a competent bassist, she's not Billy Sheehan.

Yes, it would be cool to see her on stage with the other three, but I think people's nostalgia is getting the better of them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you STHEMASHING PUWKINS!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @RhettButler perhaps you should read Flood discussing the band while writing and recording Mellon Collie and then you will understand why it is important to many that it is the original four members.

That album captured the real Smashing Pumpkins, especially how they are live... and live, they are Billy, James, D'arcy, and Jimmy. In Utero is to Nirvana as Mellon Collie is to Smashing Pumpkins. This is the real sound of these bands playing together.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-15-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    @RhettButler perhaps you should read Flood discussing the band while writing and recording Mellon Collie and then you will understand why it is important to many that it is the original four members.

That album captured the real Smashing Pumpkins, especially how they are live... and live, they are Billy, James, D'arcy, and Jimmy. In Utero is to Nirvana as Mellon Collie is to Smashing Pumpkins. This is the real sound of these bands playing together.
    Yeah, I read that interview. It would have been nice had she been involved, but it's not a huge deal for me. If you read the texts between D'arcy and Billy he comes across as very cordial and eager for her to participate, in any way, even if it was for a few songs like Steven Adler did on GN'R's Not in this Lifetime tour. If she's not there, even if it's for a few selected shows, it's on her.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Art Deco doesn't equate to Nazism ya know...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Probably more like 90% Billy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    Art Deco doesn't equate to Nazism ya know...
    What does Nazism have to do anything??

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I really don't understand why anyone is making a big deal about D'arcy not being part of the "reunion."

She didn't even play on the first two albums.
    Seriously man, go back over the last ten pages and re-read the bits where I went into detail about all the things you and I discussed in this very goddamn thread like a year and a half ago. You have multiple instances of Billy in his own words describing D'Arcy as a valuable collaborator and critic. She was more than "The stand-in bassist". We're not doing this again.

Anyway, I'm not going to get in to how utterly stupid it is to equate Art Deco to nazism. Anyone trying to make that comparison is really reaching for more reasons to hate Billy Corgan.

An hour and a half to go.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Seriously man, go back over the last ten pages and re-read the bits where I went into detail about all the things you and I discussed in this very goddamn thread like a year and a half ago. You have multiple instances of Billy in his own words describing D'Arcy as a valuable collaborator and critic. She was more than "The stand-in bassist". We're not doing this again.
    I remember our conversation, I respect your POV, but my opinion is my own. Billy says a lot of stuff. I should also point out that Billy also stated how valuable Tommy Lee was as a collaborator and critic.

I liked MTAE more than most fans, but this is just goofy:

The results were nine songs that Corgan said are "epic in a way that is indescribable," before settling on the descriptor "Supersonic Pumpkins." "Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know, this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement,"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-corgan-calls-tommy-lee-collaboration-supersonic-pumpkins-20140509

Last edited by GulDukat; 02-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    You have multiple instances of Billy in his own words describing D'Arcy as a valuable collaborator and critic. She was more than "The stand-in bassist". We're not doing this again.
    I dunno, I've read it too and the way it sounded to me is either he was describing a one particular recording/arranging/rehearsal session, or just described how things worked when she was explicitly hanging around. It's not like Billy took whatever he came up with to her every time and she vetoed whatever she didn't like? It was the other way around, judging from the other Billy's comment. It's him and Jummy were always on her back.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-15-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If they release a single today and it doesn't contain the word "lover", I'll be happy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    This is the thing; it's not my POV; it's history. I've cited example after example of it and you're comparing her decade with the band to the three months Billy spent with Tommy Lee. He's describing him there as a good player with an ear for music, sure but he wasn't there to go "Billy we're not changing the band's name". His role in the band for the one album he was present on was not "Keep Billy in line".

She was more than just the bassist. She was the one member of the band who constantly questioned him openly, challenged him, forced him to make tough calls. She said it right there in that interview - he and Jimmy had a couple of big fights, he and James had maybe five, but with the two of them it was constant. But beyond a certain point he stopped listening, and that's one of the reasons she left then, and it's why she's not coming back now. She can't deal with him any more than he can deal with her. That is why people miss her. If you don't understand why people are making a big deal out of D'Arcy not being present it's because you're refusing to acknowledge that she had anything to do with anything beyond performance on one instrument and refuse to believe this was a band in any way, shape or form, which, believe it or not, it kinda used to be.

Christ I wish I could flush my entire history with this group down the toilet and gotten into Foo Fighters instead sometimes

T-Minus 40 minutes..
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 02-15-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is the thing; it's not my POV; it's history. I've cited example after example of it and you're comparing her decade with the band to the three months Billy spent with Tommy Lee. He's describing him there as a good player with an ear for music, sure but he wasn't there to go "Billy we're not changing the band's name". His role in the band for the one album he was present on was not "Keep Billy in line".

She was more than just the bassist. She was the one member of the band who constantly questioned him openly, challenged him, forced him to make tough calls. She said it right there in that interview - he and Jimmy had a couple of big fights, he and James had maybe five, but with the two of them it was constant. But beyond a certain point he stopped listening, and that's one of the reasons she left then, and it's why she's not coming back now. She can't deal with him any more than he can deal with her. That is why people miss her. If you don't understand why people are making a big deal out of D'Arcy not being present it's because you're refusing to acknowledge that she had anything to do with anything beyond performance on one instrument and refuse to believe this was a band in any way, shape or form, which, believe it or not, it kinda used to be.

Christ I wish I could flush my entire history with this group down the toilet and gotten into Foo Fighters instead sometimes

T-Minus 40 minutes..
    You think it's hard being a Pumpkins fan? Try being a Van Halen or Guns N' Roses fan. I admire your passion and keeping your ground, while not being a dick about it. You are more informed than I am and maybe I have downplayed her role in the band. I'm still not that bummed that she won't be there. In part because I read the texts and think it's on her, also because I really did enjoy the post reunion (2007+) era, although Teargarden did kind of suck and the whole aborted role-out was lame. Jimmy/Billy/James is enough for me and I'm glad he's retained Jeff.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I think it's on both of them. She sounds halfway burnt-out and a bit scatterbrained but enthusiastic, and probably should not have gone to the press with all this stuff, though it was really fascinating to read. And Billy rushed right into this whole notion of a grand comeback tour without letting the band take time to coalesce and learn to work together, and possibly saw her as an obstacle/liability. None of this should have been happening for another year.

And here we go...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So that's it? A week-long countdown building up to this huge announcement just for a tour announcement? No new song or anything? L.O.L.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's tour dates

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    IT'S JUST FUCKlNG TOUR DAAS\HFUOHVRPOIFGH IRHGH [G
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 02-15-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: stepping away from keyboard now

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That's quite a long tour. No venues, but assuming mostly (if not all) arenas. Be prepared for groupons and half empty shows.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    omg, i need to know what venue! i HAVE to get tickets to the final show, so is it arenas (edit: yes)? ugh!

edit: wtf? the video showed a september 7th show in boise, but it's not fucking listed. neither is denver. or salt lake.

edit: no fucking way they'll fill some of these places. including the idaho center. gonna wait it out until (as someone mentioned) groupons start up.
    Last edited by kel; 02-15-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And no Vancouver date lmao. You just know it was an option, and Billy said 'fuck that business' hahaha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    July 12 - Glendale, AZ - Gila River Arena
    July 14 - Oklahoma City, OK - Chesapeake Energy Arena
    July 16 - Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center
    July 17 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
    July 18 - Dallas, TX - America Airlines Center
    July 20 - Nashville, TN - Bridgestone Arena
    July 21 - Louisville, KY - KFC YUM! Center
    July 22 - Atlanta, GA - Infinite Energy Arena
    July 24 - Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena
    July 25 - Tampa, FL - Amalie Arena
    July 27 - Baltimore, MD - Royal Farms Arena
    July 28 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
    July 29 - Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena
    July 31 - Boston, MA - TD Garden
    Aug 1 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
    Aug 4 - Pittsburgh, PA - PPG Paints Arena
    Aug 5 - Detroit, MI - Little Caesars Arena
    Aug 7 - Montreal, QC - Centre Bell
    Aug 8 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
    Aug 11 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center
    Aug 13 - Chicago, IL - United Center
    Aug 16 - Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center
    Aug 17 - Indianapolis, IN - Bankers Life Fieldhouse
    Aug 19 - St. Paul, MN - XCEL Energy Center
    Aug 20 - Omaha, NE - CenturyLink Center
    Aug 21 - Sioux Falls, SD - Danny Sanford Premier Center
    Aug 24 - Seattle, WA - Key Arena
    Aug 25 - Portland, OR - Moda Center
    Aug 27 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena
    Aug 28 - Sacramento, CA - Golden 1 Center
    Aug 30 - Los Angeles, CA - Forum
    Sept 1 - San Diego, CA - Viejas Arena
    Sept 2 - Las Vegas, NV - T-Mobile Arena
    Sept 4 - Salt Lake City, UT - Vivint Smart Home Arena
    Sept 5 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center Arena
    Sept 7 - Nampa, ID - Ford Idaho Center

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Smashing Pumpkins are playing the Boston Gaadan? It has a near 20k capacity. When they come to town they usually play The Orpheum (2,700). They played the Agganis arena in 2012 (7,200) and that didn't even sell out. Is having James back really going to move THAT many more tickets? Who's bright idea was it to play venues this large?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Naturally only Montreal and Toronto. Damn youse guys!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ... that tour is way too huge with venues way too big for this band. Even if they had the full original lineup, filling these spots would have been hard, and they don’t even have new music to build any hype. This is so, so weird and I don’t know how anybody bought into booking this. Amalie arena in Tampa is huge, and last time they were in Tampa they had Marilyn Manson with them (who has a fairly large crowd in FL and helps fill spots up down here). This is going to be interesting at best.