Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    http://crestfallen.com/2011/12/27/do...uture-release/

1994 Double Door shows to be released? I hope this doesn't fall into the "promised but never released" category.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

I actually want one for some fucking reason. Maybe just the sheer ridiculousness of it all.
    lol

I'm laughing because I actually bought this TBK package years back when it was released, and today the only part of it I still own is the obelisk in question here. The music/concept of that whole thing was so bad that I just ditched every other aspect of it, save for the obelisk, long ago.

It's sitting on one of my bookshelves right now, staring at me as I type this. And a part of me has zero idea why I even kept the fucking thing and wants to send it to you as a joke, like, tomorrow.

But I'm also getting this strange Twin Peaks-esque vibe like it's akin to that mysterious jade ring from the Black Lodge, where I'm going to need it to cross over into another dimension one day. Hopefully to one that has better music from William Patrick Corgan than anything we've heard in the past decade.

Goddamn you, @Shadaloo. Now I'm overthinking this shit. The confounded powers of WPC have won again..

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    lol

I'm laughing because I actually bought this TBK package years back when it was released, and today the only part of it I still own is the obelisk in question here. The music/concept of that whole thing was so bad that I just ditched every other aspect of it, save for the obelisk, long ago.

It's sitting on one of my bookshelves right now, staring at me as I type this. And a part of me has zero idea why I even kept the fucking thing and wants to send it to you as a joke, like, tomorrow.

But I'm also getting this strange Twin Peaks-esque vibe like it's akin to that mysterious jade ring from the Black Lodge, where I'm going to need it to cross over into another dimension one day. Hopefully to one that has better music from William Patrick Corgan than anything we've heard in the past decade.

Goddamn you, @Shadaloo. Now I'm overthinking this shit. The confounded powers of WPC have won again..
    LOL, don't worry about it. It's my great shame to come forth and admit that I found one brand new at a record shop for 20 bucks a few weeks back and caved. I wouldn't touch either volume when they were released but in comparison to some of the stuff that's come since...I'll probably track down the 2nd EP just to say I have everything now.

I had actually thought only some volumes had the obelisk with the different vinyl, but it's all of them and the special ones are fool's gold. Mine's ugly brown marble.

Thanks though. And glad to be of service

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    There's a claim that a source close to D'arcy says Billy and James tried to get her back for months and it didn't work out because she's just not in the head space for it anymore.

I desperately need to believe this, because I can't compute them all shutting her out - especially not James - unless there was a goddamned good reason. It's behavior too shitty for three (mostly) functioning, professional adults.

Any way you slice it I'm heartbroken. Today's the day I finally accept I'll never ever see the original 4 perform together as long as I live.
    Right...a "source". Probably Kerry Brown, who was once married to D'arcy in another lifetime ago. Close enough, I guess.

And then there's D'arcy herself over on Facebook, interacting with fans and lamenting how bad she wanted to do this reunion for the longest time, and getting shafted by WPC.

https://www.facebook.com/darcy.wretzkybrown

Really? Why would she do this if she was "invited all the way" and has been singing the same tune for years about her eagerness to perform as the original lineup again?

I'll tell you what makes perfect sense: William Patrick Corgan the Elitist Prick shitting on one of his collaborators yet again. Because we've never seen that before. Just ask Paz, or Pajo, or Sweeney, or James, or Trent, or Mike Byrne, or..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Really? That's not how I read it.
    This is the same scenario as that debate we had about Bush around this time last year, if you recall. There will be fans (like yourself) who will be willing to accept this as a legitimate reunion with James back in the fold. And then you'll have fans (like myself) who see this as a half-assed money-grab that just isn't the real thing. And much like Bush, I'm willing to bet this will ultimately turn into a classic case of a 90s "who cares?" act..

People cite the Gn'R reunion as an example, but remember...they had 25 years of animosity, soap opera drama, album delays and one-off guest appearances to build interest. Not to mention Axl was still selling out tours globally even without Slash and Duff onboard. The fact that Izzy and Adler were still on somewhat-cordial terms and randomly appeared at certain shows added to the fan interest.

Billy has none of that going for him. The last 10 years have seen him living in denial about how little anyone really cares about SP outside of a full classic lineup reunion. He had one shot to do this right and look at what's happened. Total mismanagement from the word go, and now you have a disgruntled ex-member looking to tank the whole thing with tell-all interviews, and doing a pretty swell job of it, from where I sit. Gn'R managed to live up to the quarter-century of drama with a successful tour, but I certainly don't see WPC doing anything close to it. It's telling that he'll be using a stand-in bassist who happens to be the son of another egomaniac who shamelessly cashes in with a Joy Division tribute band and can't understand that his legacy just isn't that important to people.

And like Peter Hook, Billy has only himself to blame for that. So I'm willing to bet by the time all is said and done, the "Shiny and Oh So Bright" tour will just be another WPC whiny and oh so trite endeavor..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    If Billy is looking to bring a concept to this tour, I'd say he's got more than enough material in the classic SP era to make an appropriate setlist:

1. I Am One (when it comes to this band)
    2. So Very Sad About Us
    3. Zero (thought put into this)
    4. Thirty-Three (songs you've heard on every other tour we've done)
    5. Cash Car Grab Star
    6. Awful (Hole cover)
    7. Behold! The Nightmare
    8. (This arena sure is) Quiet
    9. STP (probably draws more fans than this)
    10. Shame
    11. Fuck You (A Reunion For No One)
    12. (Going to take a miracle for my fans) To Forgive
    13. Death of a Mind Band
    14. 1979 (total tickets sold so far)
    15. Infinite Sadness
    16. Once Upon a Time (we were pretty awesome)
    17. My Mistake
    18. Vanity
    19. (The fans have) Never Let Me Down Again
    20. Nobody's Fault But Mine (Zeppelin cover)
    21. She (won't be joining us on this tour, or any other)
    22. Atrocity Exhibition (Joy Division cover)
    23. Wish You Were Real (interested in this reunion thing)
    24. (This reunion is far from) Perfect
    25. Money, That's What I Want
    26. (Ticket sales slow as a) Snail
    27. There It Goes! (Our fanbase)
    28. Blew Away (my only shot at this)
    29. Our Singer (sure is an asshole) (Pavement cover w/ Stephen Malkmus)