Page 78 of 130 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 3875

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

  1. #2311
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    “Some 30 years ago, as The Smashing Pumpkins, James Iha and I began a musical journey in the cramped rear bedroom of my Father’s house. And so it’s magic to me that we’re able to coalesce once more around the incredible Jimmy Chamberlin, to celebrate those songs we’ve made together,” shared Corgan.
    The monumental “Shiny And Oh So Bright Tour,” which coincides with the 30thanniversary of the band’s formation, will highlight music from the group’s inception through 2000, and will exclusively feature material from their groundbreaking debut Gish through Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Adore and Machina. Longtime Smashing Pumpkins guitarist Jeff Schroeder will also take part, as the band moves to a three guitar lineup to better emulate the signature tones and textures of their albums.
    “This show and staging will be unlike any we’ve ever done, and will feature a set unlike any we’ve ever played. For if this is a chance at a new beginning, we plan on ushering it in with a real bang,” added Corgan.

  2. #2312
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,202
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    omg, i need to know what venue! i HAVE to get tickets to the final show, so is it arenas (edit: yes)? ugh!

    edit: wtf? the video showed a september 7th show in boise, but it's not fucking listed. neither is denver. or salt lake.

    edit: no fucking way they'll fill some of these places. including the idaho center. gonna wait it out until (as someone mentioned) groupons start up.
    I would be shocked if they sold out any of these shows, (maybe MSG). Even Boston (a concert city) is going to be half empty.

  3. #2313
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    hm... focus on the first 5 albums eh... i kinda would wish they threw in "The Chimera" with this line up...

  4. #2314
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,394
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    So even Billy knows nobody cares about Teargarden eh

  5. #2315
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow, this is a very optimistic tour, I hope they pull it out or else the band will implode again.

  6. #2316
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,495
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Wow. Was not expecting him to shitcan everything post-Machina. That's pretty extreme.

    And yes, he's a lunatic for overestimating attendance. This might be painful to watch.

  7. #2317
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    5,433
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    It makes sense to focus the setlist on the classic era, but not playing at least a song from "Zeitgeist" or "Oceania" is too much; i hope they at least play "Fuck You (an Ode to no one) and "Geek U.S.A." and not just the hits...

  8. #2318
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    just gonna call this now:

    tonight tonight
    zero
    everlasting gaze
    i am one
    ava adore
    today
    blew away
    disarm

    ruby
    mayonaise
    landslide
    stand inside your love
    shame
    siva

    soma
    muzzle
    eye

    heavy metal machine
    bullet

    cherub rock
    1979
    silverfuck


    farewell and goodnight

  9. #2319
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,202
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Wow. Was not expecting him to shitcan everything post-Machina. That's pretty extreme.

    And yes, he's a lunatic for overestimating attendance. This might be painful to watch.
    It will be like when Warrant toured arenas in the fall of 1992.

  10. #2320
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Well, color me excited! The St. Paul, MN show falls on my wedding anniversary, so it's a good thing my wife likes them and is down with going to the show! I WAS hoping to hear this new song today, but this will do for now.

  11. #2321
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    just gonna call this now:

    tonight tonight
    zero
    everlasting gaze
    i am one
    ava adore
    today
    blew away
    disarm

    ruby
    mayonaise
    landslide
    stand inside your love
    shame
    siva

    soma
    muzzle
    eye

    heavy metal machine
    bullet

    cherub rock
    1979
    silverfuck


    farewell and goodnight
    Hey, that looks pretty amazing to me. It'd be nice to throw a few more deep cuts in there, but I would love to see Billy, Jimmy, and James (and Jeff) play those songs TOGETHER.

  12. #2322
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I will say adding a third guitar is a very good idea.

  13. #2323
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Detroit prices: $29, $49, $69, $99, and $125

    Wow.

  14. #2324
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Does Billy think it is February 1996? The good news is watching his eventual meltdown when he sees half empty arenas at every show..You know that will eat at him....And the fact Pearl Jam can sell every one of these places out in their sleep will eat at him even more

  15. #2325
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Hey, that looks pretty amazing to me. It'd be nice to throw a few more deep cuts in there, but I would love to see Billy, Jimmy, and James (and Jeff) play those songs TOGETHER.
    with you on the deep cuts, but just thinking realistically considering the ambition of the tour + the size of the venues.

    i made this mock-up kinda sarcastically, but when i read it back i realized that i'd be really happy to have seen a set like this. mostly, i'm just spoiled by plainsong and the BC solo shows as of late...

  16. #2326
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    2,577
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Detroit prices: $29, $49, $69, $99, and $125

    Wow.
    Where'd you find that? Curious what MSG is gonna be.

  17. #2327
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,999
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Where'd you find that? Curious what MSG is gonna be.
    each date on the site has a "more info" tab. click there and you can check the prices. even MSG seems "reasonable."

  18. #2328
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Where'd you find that? Curious what MSG is gonna be.
    http://www.313presents.com/events/de...shing-pumpkins

    TM has listings now for every show and prices might be there. Curiously, they say $49-$125 there for Detroit.

  19. #2329
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,495
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Montreal:

    From $62.50 to $171.50

    That tail-end price had better be for some VIP shit or this is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

  20. #2330
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    More Adore songs with Jimmy drumming...

  21. #2331
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think we are looking at what D'arcy did all wrong. I think D'arcy sharing texts was more to show the world about this whole tour and them coming together felt more like a get quick cash scheme than a true reuniting of the band for her. I think she was more hurt by that. Being led on to believe this was Billy as a friend, but it was Billy as a businessman. Even this announcement feels rather rushed and half assed. I think they're gonna need to do something a bit more than this to fill those arena seats. Honestly, I think they're lucky D'arcy caused this mayhem because the build up to this was almost non-existent. You can't just come out of nowhere and expect to fill arenas like this.

    I believe D'arcy really wanted to reunite with her fellow bandmates and work on music as a band again, like actual work on music and play for themselves. Jumping into this arena tour, the GNR comparisons, Billy's constantly babying her, making it like well this is happening without you no matter what, Billy's quicj fix for his money troubles, and money splitting BS, I think that turned her off and left a sour taste in her mouth. Like is Billy being genuine about this whole thing or was he just into this for the money he could make. I think once he started going into the studio without her and planning a tour that she wasn't gonna have a chance to be fully a part of due to rushing is what made her say fuck this. This isn't about us four as The Smashing Pumpkins at all.

    This is just another one of Billy's attempts at feeling relevant. Billy should have taken the time to simply play together with them if he was sincere. Honestly, I think that would have helped this announcement loads because people would actually know they are together, they are jamming again, they're all in the studio again. This would have been a great way to tease fans of things to come thus leading to a big tour announcement down the road. But no, Billy instead used this to make things confusing because he didn't want the world to know it wasn't a true reunion because he is banking on selling out those arenas in the idea that it was. But it seems there's nothing behind this tour at all. No new album or anything. Just nostalgia. You may get a new song, but I doubt much more with this tour.

    When done, then Billy will be like, "Oh we're going into the studio to make an album" when it should have been the reverse. They should have spent 2018 just being a band together again and used 2019 to release an album followed by a tour. So instead of this marketing as a 30th anniversary tour, it would have been a true reunion tour. Many fans already felt burned the last time Billy pulled this crap in 2008. So that's another thing against this succeeding.

    I just don't see these shows selling out. Maybe in their home town, but good luck with the rest of the US.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-15-2018 at 02:19 PM.

  22. #2332
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,120
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'll check Stub Hub on the day of the show. I have my doubts it will sell out.

  23. #2333
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,477
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Well, hopefully this lineup lives beyond this initial tour and 5-album restriction will be lifted in the future. At least bring back United States and Gossamer.

  24. #2334
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,394
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    What I see being a real issue is that Billy made it very clear in his texts that he sees this as a succeed or die moment for the band, and yet he set the aim so ridiculously high that there's almost no shot at succeeding heavily here. For the past year people have wondered why A Perfect Circle has been doing arenas when they aren't an arena band, and this is looking like the same sort of situation -- a band that isn't at all at the same peak they once were oddly believing that they'll be able to jump right back into being a gigantic act despite recent history suggesting otherwise.

    What happens when tickets go on sale, and shows don't sell out right away, and they end up in half-filled arenas in the middle of nowhere? They're not promoting a successful new album, they have no big single, they have an incomplete reunion lineup that most people are unaware of and those who are know more about the dysfunction than anything else, there doesn't seem to be anything here that would indicate this tour will sell particularly well. Over 30 dates and all of them arenas. Is it going to be all seated? Are the 125 tickets seats on the floor? Who do they think is going to pay that? Some people obviously will, but not enough to fill in a room of 17,000-22,000.

    If they'd done the reunion properly, had something new to show that was solid and promising and they had booked a string of theatres, sure, they could sell them out and build up to another run of larger venues. But, holy fuck, the only SP shows in the last two years have been glorified solo shows in theatres and I don't think they've been selling out at all. Before that you had some theatre dates and then a coheadlining amphitheatre run that seemed to do well, but nothing indicating this kind of a tour.

    Billy is acting like this is what'll either make or break the band's future and yet it's a situation where there's very, very little chance of it being a giant success. He mentions some giant production with a static setlist -- is that what anybody has ever in a million years wanted from a Pumpkins show? That alone means no one will feel a need to see more than one date, and a bunch of these shows are in neighboring markets. It makes no sense to me. If it was a handful of arenas in the biggest markets, maybe it wouldn't seem as ridiculous, but this is a giant tour for a band that hasn't had any sort of mainstream presence in years.

    I can't help but get the feeling that when this doesn't become a big thing, Billy will have a little fit of saying "See? Nobody actually wanted a nostalgia run, I was right all along," when in reality it'll be because he went about it in the worst possible way imaginable. It doesn't feel put together to create an environment of success, it feels designed to make a quick buck and then justify his years of cynicism and audience-blaming.

  25. #2335
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A warm place
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    LOL I have never been so UNexcited for a reunion tour in my entire life. It’s not even a true band reunion; anytime you’re doing something like this and using the term “celebrating the songs”, it’s a blatant cash-grab. The fact that they couldn’t even do it correctly makes it even funnier. They’ve already got heaps of bad press with the D’arcy feud, and have unwittingly divided whatever fanbase they have left with it. How do they possibly expect to even come close to filling some of these arenas? Billy’s ego inflates and takes off like a hot air balloon yet again..

    At least we have something to watch until the XFL embarrasses itself again next year. We should start a pot on what Billy’s ultimate excuse is going to be for why this will flop miserably..

  26. #2336
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,169
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm almost glad so many people are being pissy about it and not going because I'll have a better chance at getting floor tickets.

  27. #2337
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,979
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    What I see being a real issue is that Billy made it very clear in his texts that he sees this as a succeed or die moment for the band, and yet he set the aim so ridiculously high that there's almost no shot at succeeding heavily here. For the past year people have wondered why A Perfect Circle has been doing arenas when they aren't an arena band, and this is looking like the same sort of situation -- a band that isn't at all at the same peak they once were oddly believing that they'll be able to jump right back into being a gigantic act despite recent history suggesting otherwise.

    What happens when tickets go on sale, and shows don't sell out right away, and they end up in half-filled arenas in the middle of nowhere? They're not promoting a successful new album, they have no big single, they have an incomplete reunion lineup that most people are unaware of and those who are know more about the dysfunction than anything else, there doesn't seem to be anything here that would indicate this tour will sell particularly well. Over 30 dates and all of them arenas. Is it going to be all seated? Are the 125 tickets seats on the floor? Who do they think is going to pay that? Some people obviously will, but not enough to fill in a room of 17,000-22,000.

    If they'd done the reunion properly, had something new to show that was solid and promising and they had booked a string of theatres, sure, they could sell them out and build up to another run of larger venues. But, holy fuck, the only SP shows in the last two years have been glorified solo shows in theatres and I don't think they've been selling out at all. Before that you had some theatre dates and then a coheadlining amphitheatre run that seemed to do well, but nothing indicating this kind of a tour.

    Billy is acting like this is what'll either make or break the band's future and yet it's a situation where there's very, very little chance of it being a giant success. He mentions some giant production with a static setlist -- is that what anybody has ever in a million years wanted from a Pumpkins show? That alone means no one will feel a need to see more than one date, and a bunch of these shows are in neighboring markets. It makes no sense to me. If it was a handful of arenas in the biggest markets, maybe it wouldn't seem as ridiculous, but this is a giant tour for a band that hasn't had any sort of mainstream presence in years.

    I can't help but get the feeling that when this doesn't become a big thing, Billy will have a little fit of saying "See? Nobody actually wanted a nostalgia run, I was right all along," when in reality it'll be because he went about it in the worst possible way imaginable. It doesn't feel put together to create an environment of success, it feels designed to make a quick buck and then justify his years of cynicism and audience-blaming.

    Yeah, I can't help but get the feeling that Billy is setting this up to fail from the getgo to try and "prove a point" that nobody wants the classic Pumpkins anymore. It's not that nobody wants them, it's just he's going abouts this all wrong. He's in way over his head thinking these shows are going to sell out.

    I'm really glad there isn't a Vancouver date to tempt me to go to this. I'm so put off by all of this. I know a lot of people are giving D'arcy some extreme flak for bring "Immature" or "unprofessional" in that interview, and that article may even be enough to taint people's opinions from wanting to check this out, but I'm going to side with her on this one. I think what she said, needed to be said.

    I find it kind of ironic how he said, if this tour doesn't take off or be successful, we won't get out of the USA. I can't help but get the feeling that that was a jab at D'arcy's skills or health. Saying "Hey, there is too much at stake here to bring you along and have you have a mental breakdown mid tour and we need to cancel shows to replace a bass player" when in reality, it has nothing to do with that... He's over shadowed by his ego again thinking he is going to sell out arenas again.
    He's right, this tour ain't getting out of North America, but it has NOTHING to do with D'arcy. He'll probably blame her for giving him bad press though, or like I said, just go with his gut and say "see, I knew all along, nobody wants the Pumpkins back... it's WPC time all day every day now. Fuck that noise"

    It's like what I explained a few pages back, when he scheduled the Vancouver show on the Oceania tour and then cancelled it just to go play somewhere else instead, he was even too in over his head at that point. Booking venues that were outside his realm of selling. He thinks his band is the biggest thing in the world.

    The tour is overpriced, and too long, and missing a member of the band. This whole thing was put together really poorly. If the 4 of them weren't ready to reunite yet, they shouldn't have gone forth with this project. Or at least scaled it down a bit. Even with all 4 original members, I think taking on arena's is biting off more than they can chew, but with only 3/4 of the original band, I think they should have scaled down to larger theaters.

    Eh, I'm just here for the lols at this point. I'm ready with my bag of popcorn to watch this tour crash and burn.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-15-2018 at 06:37 PM.

  28. #2338
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,979
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Double/Repeat post... Deleted duplicate.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.

  29. #2339
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,670
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The first show of the tour is right by me, I may go last minute if there are still affordable tickets. :> I’ve only seen SP once, in 2007, and I barely remember much at all for some reason.

    The “twins” in the promo video are spooky looking (obviously intended)!



    It’s really cool to see them together again.
    Last edited by Amaro; 02-15-2018 at 04:34 PM.

  30. #2340
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,202
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    One thing that will help the tour is a strong supporting act.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions