Page 43 of 150 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 4499

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I could care less about the bassplayer but that drummer better hit it hard or else this tour is gonna suck, and manson being hit or miss isn't going to make things better.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    How dare them not mention Ginger in the article (regarding bassist subject). She is the sexiest pumpkin alive.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Setlist from first show of In Plainsong tour from setlist.fm:

Pre-Set:

Daydream
    Purr Snickety
    Bye June
    Disarm

Soundcheck:

Jersey Shore
    To Sheila

Main Set:

Tonight, Tonight
    99 Floors
    Today
    My Poor Troubled Heart(traditional)
    Freedom Ain't What It Used to Be (Zwan)
    For Your Love (Zwan)
    Drum + Fife
    A Stitch in Time
    Mayonaise
    Prairie Song (Corgan solo)
    Jersey Shore (live debut)
    Sparrow(live debut)
    Perfect
    To Sheila
    Behold! The Night Mare (first time live since 2008)
    For Martha
    Blissed and Gone (first time live since 2000; Corgan on ukelele)
    Ava Adore
    Now (And Then) (Corgan solo)
    The Crying Tree of Mercury
    Run2Me (live debut)
    Pinwheels
    Stand Inside Your Love (duet with Katie Cole)
    Landslide
    A New Poetry (Zwan)

Encore:
    Spaceboy (first time live since 1994)
    El-A-Noy (Corgan solo)
    Cardinal Rule (new song; live debut)

holy shit dude

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    sigh indeed

I cannot wait to have the Machina II material on a physical format

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The metric shit-ton of issues on the US Vinyl pressing apparently aren't on the EU version.

*Hugs precious CD set*

Fantastically amazing remaster, by the by. I hope the rest get similar treatment. Bonus CDs are a mixed bag, tracks alternating from stellar to pointless, but on the whole very worth it. The BT 2012 remix of Cupid De Locke is a winner; I want more from this guy.

Hilarious typos in the booklet though: "We Only Come At Night", lol

If Bill's to be believed, James wouldn't let anybody touch "Take Me Down", Billy didn't think it flowed well with the rest of the album, put it on the end of Disc 1, and James got sufficiently pissed that his contributions were from that point significantly lessened as he stopped giving a shit. Funny, because I think it sounds perfect there.
    I know this is quoting a REALLY old post, but can anyone clarify on the issues between the US and European pressings of MCIS remaster? I've just enquired about buying a copy of the US pressing but want to know what I'm getting into before I go any further. It's miles cheaper than the European version everywhere I've looked... probably for good reason?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    I know this is quoting a REALLY old post, but can anyone clarify on the issues between the US and European pressings of MCIS remaster? I've just enquired about buying a copy of the US pressing but want to know what I'm getting into before I go any further. It's miles cheaper than the European version everywhere I've looked... probably for good reason?
    As I recall, the US vinyl had some really nasty surface noise, distortion on more than a few tracks, and people were saying that Zero was basically unlistenable toward the end over how bad it got.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    sigh indeed

I cannot wait to have the Machina II material on a physical format
    I hear you, man. I just can't wait for White Spyder not to sound like shite.

Also: more details from a Q& A a few days ago (a show just showed up on zomb):

"The problem is we're in a dispute with the record company for the seventeenth time... (He clarifies it's with the new company that bought the old company, or some such)...it'll be resolved, but we're not in a hurry to turn in material if we haven't been paid on the last. I prepared for it, all the transfers have been done, all this material's ready to go, but it's very expensive to do."
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 06-19-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks. Does anyone know if this was resolved at all in later US pressings? Is there only one batch of US pressings and they all carry the same issue? Anyone who owns a US pressing that can verify that the sound is terrible in places?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    As I recall, the US vinyl had some really nasty surface noise, distortion on more than a few tracks, and people were saying that Zero was basically unlistenable toward the end over how bad it got.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Well, hopefully it will be resolved soon. If the reissue were really dead in the water, he'd probably say that it is.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    People can say all they want about modern SP and SP live but goddamnit Billy knows how to craft an insane setlist. I'm really interested in whatever The End Times sets will be considering he's mentioned an emphasis on heavier material. But wow, that Plainsong set is nuts.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    Thanks. Does anyone know if this was resolved at all in later US pressings? Is there only one batch of US pressings and they all carry the same issue? Anyone who owns a US pressing that can verify that the sound is terrible in places?
    i'm guessing the one you're looking at is cheaper because the problem was spread across every single copy of the US pressing. there was probably a bad master and someone was too lazy (didn't want to lose the money) and didn't order a new set of plates to be made. i still haven't listened to my copy because i'm so paranoid about it being fucked up.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Holy shit: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...tour/29157071/

I can't believe this is happening and that I'm seeing it. I'm beyond thrilled for next month's show now more than ever. Jimmy is maybe my favorite drummer ever.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ^^
    that video at the bottom, holy fuck.
    reposting here because it's fucking awesome

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    BillCo
    +
    Jimmy
    +
    Peter Hook's kid
    +
    that guy that looks like James

a Pumpkins lineup I can actually respect enough to pay money and go see again
    If you get a chance, check out the Oceania concert DVD--awesome stuff. I really liked that lineup. Still, I am really excited about the upcoming summer tour. Should be awesome.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-24-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow, didn't see that one coming, super excited to go now.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    OhmyGODohmyGODOhmyGODohmyGODOhmyGODohmyGODOhmyGODo hmyGODOhmyGODohmyGODOhmyGODohmyGODOhmyGODohmyGODOh myGODohmyGODOhmyGODohmyGOD JIMMMEHHHHHHHH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Whoa, cool. I can't wait to see Jimmy in action.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Wow, didn't see that one coming, super excited to go now.
    i swear Jimmy takes a break long enough that when B0lly calls him again after like six months, he sounds even more desperate, so he just has to give in. forever buddies~

glad an impeccable drummer is behind the kit again though. i hope he finds a way to make songs from the last two albums interesting!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I may have to goto a show now, Jimmy is hard to beat.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've seen it. But the Oceania stuff makes me want to gag. Kind of ruined the whole experience for me
    Yeah? I personally loved that album. I really liked the tour because they played their new album, front-to-back, and then played the big hits. They weren't just a nostalgia act, and got to play all new stuff, but old-school fans got their fill too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Yeah? I personally loved that album. I really liked the tour because they played their new album, front-to-back, and then played the big hits. They weren't just a nostalgia act, and got to play all new stuff, but old-school fans got their fill too.
    That tour with Chamberlin would have been the real deal, that album was quite good, it just needed a real SP drummer to bring these songs to life.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I find it ironic that Jimmy is back in the fold all of a sudden. The Manson tour is hardly selling and both acts are washed-up and haven't had a hit album in 15 years. Sounds like Jimmy is a much-needed incentive to drop $115 on a ticket to the show
    I'd be lying if I said it didn't peak my interest to want to travel for a show now. I was looking up prices for a weekend in Vegas last night.

I'm shocked to say I was checking to see if Tickets for Vegas were still available last night, and they were! The only venue on the whole tour that is in a club and GA floor tickets are STILL available!? I thought Vegas shows sell out in a matter of seconds when it comes to these sort of shows. If Vegas isn't selling well, I can just imagine how poorly the rest of the shows are selling...

Maybe this was just a stint to get more ticket sales going?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I find it ironic that Jimmy is back in the fold all of a sudden. The Manson tour is hardly selling and both acts are washed-up and haven't had a hit album in 15 years. Sounds like Jimmy is a much-needed incentive to drop $115 on a ticket to the show
    That's a bit harsh. What bands that were popular in the 1990's are still as popular as they once were? Pearl Jam can sell out 15k venues, but when was their last big hit? Most fans are pretty fickle and move on after a few years. The Pumpkins and Manson still have their fans.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    That tour with Chamberlin would have been the real deal, that album was quite good, it just needed a real SP drummer to bring these songs to life.
    Mike Byrne wasn't Chamberlin, but he wasn't bad.

@5:05.

I'm not a drummer, so I can't really evaluate him as a musician, but it sounds good to me. Good enough that Billy released this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought Mike Byrne was actually pretty good, but he really just tried to emulate Chamberlain (which is fine with me). Jimmy and Danny Carey are just ridiculous drummers.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    byrne wasn't terrible, always fine on record and mostly passable live, but occasionally his fills were just so off the mark that he completely derailed the songs.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Billy pretty much forced Mikey to try and drum like Jimmy. That's probably why he seemed worse than he was.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    All valid points, Byrne isn't bad, he just isn't chamberlin, and that shows especially in the live setting. the Pumpkins need a drummer such as chamberlin or carey, these guys aren't just anyone and it's not that easy to replace them as the recent SP history proves.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    jimmy/clive owen face is the one, and hired guns should only attempt respectful emulation