Page 28 of 150 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    £130 is way, way too much. £103 is still way too much. I note it's $127 on amazon.com, or about £78, so much less than the marketed price to the UK. And yet IMHO *still* too much.
    Couldn't agree more, but Smashing Pumpkins had a similar effect on me to NIN, hence I badly wanted it. I waited and waited and waited expecting the price to drop and in the end bought it last Christmas, think it was released about 13 months previous? The price just hasn't budged. It's a beautiful set but still, definitely not worth over £100 for the packaging and content that you actually get.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Really enjoying the concert DVD and am glad that the setlist mainly covers Adore. ​Great to see this era of the band so well documented.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    ImportCDs has the Adore 6CD/DVD set for $66.52
    http://www.importcds.com/Search/Guid...pumpkins+adore
    god dammit, they don't ship it outside the US!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-sm...a-bd7f5f6.html

The Atlanta show has 1979 listed, but it's not on the DVD. Was 1979 actually played? If so, how come it's not on the DVD?
    Last edited by zaps30; 09-28-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post

The Atlanta show has 1979 listed, but it's not on the DVD. Was 1979 actually played? If so, how come it's not on the DVD?
    Probably a mistake. I don't see any reason that it would be edited out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Adore box set just arrived. Very excited to listen to it. I held out on the leaks, though I snuck a peek or two and some tracks on Beats Music. This is definitely the one I've been waiting for most since this reissue campaign began.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Can any pumpkins aficionados tell me what the best mellon collie era pro shot live show is? just realised I don't have one

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Can any pumpkins aficionados tell me what the best mellon collie era pro shot live show is? just realised I don't have one
    brixton? it's on the deluxe box remaster.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post

It WAS played... and for some reason Billy Corgan cut it. Why? Well, that is beyond me. Kinda pisses me off. But I heard he does that with these reissues. You ALMOST have the whole thing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Adore box set just arrived. Very excited to listen to it. I held out on the leaks, though I snuck a peek or two and some tracks on Beats Music. This is definitely the one I've been waiting for most since this reissue campaign began.
    Yeah, I got mine on Saturday! love it!
    now I HAVE to get 'em all

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    brixton? it's on the deluxe box remaster.
    There's also Rockpalast, on there too. You might be better off looking for the fan-compiled DVD for that one though as they cut out the part where an ex-member of Chumbawumba casually strolled on stage naked. Crap quality here:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It WAS played... and for some reason Billy Corgan cut it. Why? Well, that is beyond me. Kinda pisses me off. But I heard he does that with these reissues. You ALMOST have the whole thing.
    Yeah, that is odd, as it could have fit on the DVD.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    you're right about the audio portions but otherwise the DVDs are beholden to the sources he pays for. so it's usually limited by the people who filmed: songs were cut from broadcast, or the highest quality source doesn't include material compiled later, or something was just fucky with "1979" – who knows what happens to (likely) VHS masters after sitting in storage for this long. that's also why the live audio doesn't sound as good as the live discs – no multitrack sources available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rockpalast and Brixton are definitely the best pro-shots. Also have to give a shout-out to the JJJ Studios radio show for audio. Complete acoustic show with calls to the band here https://archive.org/details/tsp1996-03-13.fm.flac16

Also, regarding 1979, Billy cut it because he's Billy. My personal fan fiction says it would have given D'arcy and James too much money and/or it would have been on every single website promoting the box -> "and here's a clip of the band from the dvd - [plays 1979]", which would be totally unfair to the era.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ^^
    I'm pretty sure Billy's attitude towards J & D is much better than, say Uncle Al's towards Paul Barker. It doesn't really make sense (IMO) to cut one song from this giant box set just because of royalties. He had tons of opportunities to do the same thing with any of previous reissues and he didn't.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I dunno. He's warmed to them when speaking of them during interviews, no doubt, but I really do wonder if there are just subtle attempts to downplay their influence scattered across the reissues. Wouldn't put it past him. Summer on this box being an instrumental (though admittedly, James can't sing), the botched D'Arcy vocal take on Dreaming, now apparently they're both mixed really low on this live DVD from what I'm hearing (still don't own this yet, haven't heard).

Then again he put "One and Two" and "Lover" on the MCIS reissue. I dunno, maybe I'm being paranoid. If "Go" is completely absent from the Machina release I'll know something's up.

Uncle Al's definitely an asshat though (sorry, been listening to a lot of Ministry lately and just angry that that project became what it's been for the past decade).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    you're right about the audio portions but otherwise the DVDs are beholden to the sources he pays for. so it's usually limited by the people who filmed: songs were cut from broadcast, or the highest quality source doesn't include material compiled later, or something was just fucky with "1979" – who knows what happens to (likely) VHS masters after sitting in storage for this long. that's also why the live audio doesn't sound as good as the live discs – no multitrack sources available.
    Yeah, I see what your seeing... just sucks because I love that fast version of "1979." Kenny, the drummer, just fucking goes wild on that one.
    Wish it was included.
    I always loved "Blank Page," but that epic long version they perform live is amazing.
    I really liked the changes they did to older material during this era, such as "Bullet With Butterfly Wings."
    They really go crazy with it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, I see what your seeing... just sucks because I love that fast version of "1979." Kenny, the drummer, just fucking goes wild on that one.
    Wish it was included.
    I always loved "Blank Page," but that epic long version they perform live is amazing.
    I really liked the changes they did to older material during this era, such as "Bullet With Butterfly Wings."
    They really go crazy with it.
    i'm in total agreement – it's a better service to the song than doing it to the electronic backing track imo. it should be far more lively than the record because of its legacy and entire-crowd-singalong-ness. the Machina tour did it well too (when electric).

also a big fan of the BWBW and Ruby arrangement changeups... too bad BC never followed up on the 7 string cybermetal thing beyond a couple of Machina highlights. hopefully there will be some leftovers on that reissue with more of that sound, like that insanely good "Raindrops + Sunshowers" leaked demo.

as for "Blank Page" — really pisses me off that the song fades out, so the live improv endings will always make it a better song imo!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Next up, Machina​. I was listening to it yesterday, not bad. There are some real gems in there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    finally found the time to open up the Adore box

really digging disc 4 & 5 so far, even the Puffy Combs remix

cannot wait to watch the dvd!
    Last edited by LaneSax; 10-04-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Watching the Metro 1990 show from the Gish deluxe set. Obviously they hadn't yet peaked, but this is still an awesome performance.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    been making my way through the adore box set.

listening to the album all the way through for the first time in years was like prematurely opening a time capsule filled with all of the pain of my early teenage years. i mean, holy shit, i started thinking about things that i didn't even remember, and the whole time i was trying not to cry.
    it's seriously a great fucking album, though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Watching the 1996 shows from the MCATIS box, and man, they were fucking great.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Anyone else get the vinyl remaster today? This was the album that made me fall in love with SP go begin with, and hearing it like this is spectacular.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Anyone else get the vinyl remaster today? This was the album that made me fall in love with SP go begin with, and hearing it like this is spectacular.
    the only vinyl from the remastered series i've bothered getting is mellon collie (since i already own all the others except pisces), and i've heard all of them have had some sound issues. is the adore one good?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the only vinyl from the remastered series i've bothered getting is mellon collie (since i already own all the others except pisces), and i've heard all of them have had some sound issues. is the adore one good?
    I can't compare it to the original mono release, but as its own thing I definitely enjoyed listening to it front to back. As far as any real issues go, the LPs themselves needed cleaning straight out of the package, and there were a few pops hear and there. The only glaring issue was that just as Pistol Pete kicked in, it briefly had one of those fake starts where it jumps back briefly, and after the first fifteen seconds or so it was back to sounding golden. It was definitely something to do with the record itself, as I didn't have any sort of issue on sides A, B or D whatsoever and I even restarted side C, and it happened both times in the exact same place. Personally, it's not a major issue for me, it's not like it was at the climax of Pug or something, and I'm fairly tolerant to minor issues like that. It might just be the copy I have, it might be all of the pressing (wasn't there some issue with Zero on the MCIS set at first?), but it didn't make it unlistenable.

The few popping sounds I noticed were honestly more likely just something on the LP itself rather than the pressing, and I plan on re-cleaning them as best as possible before playing again for sure to see if it smooths it out overall, but then again I have no clue if anyone else had the same (minor) issues. With the official SP forum gone it's kind of difficult to find any discussion on it.

It was worth the cost for me and I'm overall really, really happy with it; if you already have an original pressing and it plays fine then I don't really see why you'd get this though. Also it should be noted, I've not heard the remastered version on CD yet, so in terms of the improvements in sound quality that I found, I really couldn't tell you if it's simply the format or the remaster that improved it, but it's probably a bit of both. To my ears the entire record felt a lot more open, every instrument had more "breathing room," which is my experience with most albums on vinyl, and I definitely noticed a couple of guitar and string parts I'd never quite heard before. Ava Adore's percussion felt far boomier and spacier than I've ever heard it.

I'd definitely recommend hearing some other opinions on it though, because I'm still relatively new to vinyl and don't know all of the terminology when it comes to errors and issues, but in my experience it was overall totally fine aside from side C, and even then it was just that one specific point more than anything.

By the way, do you know what the issues are with the SD rerelease? I'm really considering picking that one up, but I'd definitely like to know about any problems with the pressing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was watching the Oceania concert DVD--great performance. Kind of a shame Billy disbanded that lineup.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I guess this is a random question/thought post, but when was the last time Glass and the Ghost Children was played live? Machina is high up on my favorite SP albums, in my top three honestly, and that song has always been a stand-out for me. Every time I listen to it I fail to feel its length and almost forget that it's ten minutes long, it just flows and unfolds like a fantastically weird dream.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I guess this is a random question/thought post, but when was the last time Glass and the Ghost Children was played live?
    On Zeitgeist tour: http://www.spfc.org/tours/song.html?song_id=260