Page 134 of 150 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4492

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    If they are mostly guitars, then okay, I guess. That knowledge doesn't seem to help.

Not trying to bash the Pumpkins or Billy. All the respect in the world to their pedigree and legacy. It's knowing who these guys are, and what they are capable of that makes this album so bewildering for me.

Still cautiously optimistic for the alleged sequel album to Mellon Collie and Machina.
    Yeah, it's a weird direction to take. I'm definitely apprehensive of the next album as well. Especially when Billy's become such a guitar dodger in recent years

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    That'a weird article. Containing 0% of new info and yet having may things inaccurate because of the way the radio guy formulated his question about specifically about MII but Billy responding about the whole M1+2 thing

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Man, I missed checking out the forum when Cyr dropped and everyone's reactions have been a real treat. What a lifeless album this is.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "Alienation" from Vol. 1 just came on the random over here. This song... is actually pretty good, I slept on it the first few listens. Outside of "Cyr" (which is passable), that blows the entire new album out of the water.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I honestly think a lot of their recent output is grower material. The further we get from Shiny Vol. 1, the more I appreciate that album. I was fairly disappointed by much of Cyr when it first came out, but several of those songs have revealed themselves to be much better than I'd initially thought. Some songs haven't really gotten any better for me, but I don't think it's a bad album. It's just not as good as most of their other albums. I do think it would have benefited from being trimmed down to a standard album length, though (it's a little too long and gets kinda "samey"). Here's hoping that the Mellon Collie/Machina sequel album that's supposedly coming out this year is more in line with the Pumpkins we're all hoping to hear!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 02-10-2021 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Medellia of the Gray Skies, that is all.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I honestly think a lot of their recent output is grower material. The further we get from Shiny Vol. 1, the more I appreciate that album.
    This has basically been the case for most things since Adore, I wouldn't call it a recent trend.

There has not been an SP record that received universal acclaim since MCIS....maybe Machina II for those who knew it existed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Oceania was pretty well received, was it not? If we count just 07-20, that would be the one to get my pick, too. There was an energy on that album that brought some flicker back to the flame, ironically with a completely different backup band.

Adore is the one for me. I still remember vividly walking home from the mall with it in the Discman. That little segue from the end of "Perfect" into "Daphne Descends" hit and DD was pretty much an instant win for me on first listen. I completely see why it turned so many off, though...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I honestly think a lot of their recent output is grower material. The further we get from Shiny Vol. 1, the more I appreciate that album. I was fairly disappointed by much of Cyr when it first came out, but several of those songs have revealed themselves to be much better than I'd initially thought. Some songs haven't really gotten any better for me, but I don't think it's a bad album. It's just not as good as most of their other albums. I do think it would have benefited from being trimmed down to a standard album length, though (it's a little too long and gets kinda "samey"). Here's hoping that the Mellon Collie/Machina sequel album that's supposedly coming out this year is more in line with the Pumpkins we're all hoping to hear!
    I just heard "Shiny, Vol1" last weekend and yes, it grew on me, the album is decent, but even as a "grower" it's far from SP's best.
    I guess "Cyr" will grow on me over time, i do appreciate the experimentation, but the thing it's too damn long and it has lots of filler.

I can see how Billy it's an extremist: first he delivers a really short album with guitars, then a really long one with keyboards; maybe do one in between?
    "Oceania" is a good example of a well-balanced album.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "Oceania" is a good example of a well-balanced album.
    Oceania is such an under-rated and under-appreciated album. I still think it's easily their best album since Adore (yes, that includes Machina & Machina II, fight me!), as well as the only "SP2.0" album that 100% holds up against their classic albums (Gish through Machina).

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Oceania is IMO good, not great, and it would be much improved by, IMO, ditching 2 tracks from the late first third/early second of the album. My Love Is Winter or One Diamond One Heart. Most tracks are pretty decent, but there's maybe 3 that are stellar to me - Panopticon, Glissandra, and Inkless (which was way better in its original LP mix).

I like it okay, but it really, really misses Jimmy. It got a decent response when it came out, but it didn't really put SP back on the map or anything.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I loved Oceania, and seeing the band play it front-to-back made me appreciate it even more. Loved the live album/dvd too. MTAE is the last Pumpkins album that I was really into, but I still like their more recent efforts.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Oceania is IMO good, not great, and it would be much improved by, IMO, ditching 2 tracks from the late first third/early second of the album. My Love Is Winter or One Diamond One Heart. Most tracks are pretty decent, but there's maybe 3 that are stellar to me - Panopticon, Glissandra, and Inkless (which was way better in its original LP mix).

I like it okay, but it really, really misses Jimmy. It got a decent response when it came out, but it didn't really put SP back on the map or anything.
    I like Oceania, but dropping some of the songs you mentioned and getting Jimmy on the rest would improve it a thousandfold.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    getting Jimmy on the rest would improve it a thousandfold.
    I think Mike's performance on the record is very good. I wouldn't change a thing. But the actual sound of the drums on that record - yeah. It's a little flat and needed better tuning/miking/mixing or whatever.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    And we're off

Also PrettyInNoise, who apparently leaked the new Gojira album's release date, have a 2 LP edition of Machina 1 set as releasing on July 1st. Could be something, could be nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also PrettyInNoise, who apparently leaked the new Gojira album's release date, have a 2 LP edition of Machina 1 set as releasing on July 1st. Could be something, could be nothing.
    this is a bootleg. and €30 would be too cheap for what is to expect from this reissue.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    this is a bootleg. and €30 would be too cheap for what is to expect from this reissue.
    I don't think the item description is really matching what's for sale - this is just a standard reissue of the original 2lp album, which €30 would be fair. I guess I don't know anything about that store to say if they'd be selling a bootleg, but that's still far, far less than what original copies go for.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Billy has also alluded to a standard reissue of MI in addition to the whole giant recompiled package.

Everything incubator posts on Netphoria is either trolling or a lie. Bill hasn't said shit about this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    hi guys, anyone know where I can find Teargarden 1 & 2, I've lost my copies or for some reason I never bothered getting them, thanks

edit: and I can't find them to buy anywhere either
    Last edited by [parasite]; 03-15-2021 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Gotcher back

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    hi guys, anyone know where I can find Teargarden 1 & 2, I've lost my copies or for some reason I never bothered getting them, thanks

edit: and I can't find them to buy anywhere either
    Check eBay. I see them, but they are pretty expensive.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yeah, when it comes to getting physical copies, Ebay or Discogs are pretty well the only way to go about it. I only got my copy of Teargarden vol. 2 a few years ago via the Bay.

Funny thing I remember that a maybe year after Vol. 2 was out, amazon.com started letting them go for like $5 (I had tried to get one and they didn't ship them to my location). Billy will never admit it but that thing must have sold extremely poorly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah, when it comes to getting physical copies, Ebay or Discogs are pretty well the only way to go about it. I only got my copy of Teargarden vol. 2 a few years ago via the Bay.

Funny thing I remember that a maybe year after Vol. 2 was out, amazon.com started letting them go for like $5 (I had tried to get one and they didn't ship them to my location). Billy will never admit it but that thing must have sold extremely poorly.
    I liked the concept of 11 four song EPs, but he should have offered them as a single (5 dollar) disc, instead of the deluxe shit that only the most hard-core fans would want.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    the deluxe shit that only the most hard-core fans would want.
    Like a mighty OBELISK

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I liked the concept of 11 four song EPs, but he should have offered them as a single (5 dollar) disc, instead of the deluxe shit that only the most hard-core fans would want.
    Well, to be fair, I think the songs were all offered online for free.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well, to be fair, I think the songs were all offered online for free.
    They were. But, I agree that only the hardcore fans would've bought those sets. Imo, a lot of hoopla for only 5-6 songs a set.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Each of the 2 volumes came with a bonus track: Teargarden Theme and Cottonwood Symphony, respectively. Those 2 weren't up for free download.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Updates from the first live Instagram session Bill's done in a little while on the MCIS/Machina sequel album:

-They're recording in Nashville and starting in earnest next week
    -Jimmy's already done drum tracks for 31 out of 32 songs (there are 33 total)
    -He's calling this the biggest project they've ever done - expects them to be done in around 5 or six months
    -A very common thing people were "grumpy" about was the synthetic feel of things on Cyr, so this one is all about Jimmy's firepower behind the kit. "Lots and lots of Jimmy".
    -Music is difficult to describe, but he calls it a mix of the old/new school
    -They have a view to releasing "the most songs at a time"

What's really interesting is the 5-6 month work period he's referring to there. Hasn't taken that long to finish an album in a good while, not since Oceania.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Updates from the first live Instagram session Bill's done in a little while on the MCIS/Machina sequel album:

-They're recording in Nashville and starting in earnest next week
    -Jimmy's already done drum tracks for 31 out of 32 songs (there are 33 total)
    -He's calling this the biggest project they've ever done - expects them to be done in around 5 or six months
    -A very common thing people were "grumpy" about was the synthetic feel of things on Cyr, so this one is all about Jimmy's firepower behind the kit. "Lots and lots of Jimmy".
    -Music is difficult to describe, but he calls it a mix of the old/new school
    -They have a view to releasing "the most songs at a time"

What's really interesting is the 5-6 month work period he's referring to there. Hasn't taken that long to finish an album in a good while, not since Oceania.
    Did he give any updates on the Machina reissue?