Page 102 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 4490

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Start with Mellon Collie...

If you like the heavier, more rock side of it, move to Siamese Dream next...
    OR
    If you like the chiller, calmer, acoustic side, go Adore next.

If you absolutely love Mellon Collie, then definitely check out it's companion The Aeroplane Flies High.

If you like Siamese Dream and/or Gish, you will probably like Pisces Iscariot as it's their b-side collection.

I'd save Machina for last.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    What would be a good album for someone new to the band to get into? (I'm talking about myself)
    Siamese Dream. To me, there's no question about it, that's the one.

It's one of the most iconic albums of the 90s, and even today it remains their most well-respected album. If you only check out one Smashing Pumpkins album, this should be the one.
    Last edited by Mantra; 09-16-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Melon Collie for sure.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    What would be a good album for someone new to the band to get into? (I'm talking about myself)
    Start here:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    start here:

lol! Stay away!
    Last edited by neorev; 09-17-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I always start with a Greatest Hits / Best of. From there you isolate the songs you love and check the corresponding album.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I listened to Siamese Dream this morning. How the fuck did I miss this band?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Welcome aboard. You're in for the long haul and there's no going back
    @poro765 is absolutely right that there's a lot of great stuff after the initial run, but it's a patchy journey. I'd really acquaint yourself with the first lineup's albums up to 2000 first, then journey forward. And there are so very, very many bootleg compilations and demos that are staples of their history: Mashed Potatoes, The Ignoffo Tape, Billy's Gravity Demos, MCIS Demos I-III, and numerous, numerous excellent live recordings, soundboard and otherwise to discover, thanks to Billy's philosophy of wanting everyone to hear everything they do Happy to offer recommendations or provide links to anything you're curious about.

In other news I'm creating my own Machina II booklet because the ones out there suck badly IMO

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I recommended Oceania as the best post-2000s lineup album to check out but agree it should be after getting into the classic run. Gish gets overlooked a lot and even I am guilty of that sometimes but is a stellar debut and a great way to get a look at the band who were warming up to make an album as colossal as Siamese Dream. Mellon Collie would be the next best one to listen to and then you can feel out your tastes from there, it is a very multifaceted and diverse catalog and they’re a band that from the very beginning, much like NIN, tried to do something sifferent with every album.

There are a million b-sides and rarities and demos and alternate versions and boxsets loaded with that sort of stuff but I’d recommend holding off until you get into all the main albums — they’re better appreciated that way and Billy has a truly overwhelming body of work. The best way to enjoy this band is to focus as little as possible on the drama around it and find your eras you love, because there’s always more material than you realized regardless on what periods you favor. As whiney as Billy can sound about not feeling like he’s been taken seriously enough, when you start to see the scope and scale of his discography it makes sense he’d feel entitled a bit, because it’s enormous.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 09-18-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: gish not gosh

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Smashing Pumpkins on their hopes to tour ‘Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness’ in full

"Imagine having a film script, and a bunch of songs that go with the film script, and a story, and it could be made anyway,” frontman Billy Corgan said in a recent interview with KROQ. “The band could perform it onstage with visuals like the tour we just did [on the current ‘Shiny Oh So Bright’ tour]. You could enact it theatrically, which probably isn’t the optimal way to do it, because the band sort of needs to be part of the show.”

Corgan continued: “Or you could turn it into a musical movie, like Tommy or The Wall or something like that. Hopefully this will set the stage for that someday being released. With that said, ‘Mellon Collie’ was sort of written as a musical, but it was never explored publicly. We still are hopeful that as we go along we will be able to create similar shows around those albums [including Machina], in the way that we created a show around the Shiny tour.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/smash...s-full-2380599

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Try My Bloody Valentine instead...You will appreciate Kevin Shields genius and realize Billy boy was just copping some of that MBV sound with Siamese Dream

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'll listen to MBV if I want to hear interesting wall-of-sound guitar textures with completely unintelligible lyrics that are secondary to the musical experience - which is, make no mistake, a great one. But I'll listen to SP if I want to hear an angry, passionate rock band full of interesting personalities, great stage banter, and a wide variety of soundscapes.

Nothing against MBV but let's make the ETS SP thread less Netphoria please. If I want to read anti-Billy shitposts with little to no substance I'll go there.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Try My Bloody Valentine instead...You will appreciate Kevin Shields genius and realize Billy boy was just copping some of that MBV sound with Siamese Dream
    I've only heard Siamese Dream once and I enjoyed it far more than Loveless, which I believe is overrated. It's brought down by lazy percussion, with seemingly the same drum fill on virtually every song. Once you notice it, the entire record becomes tedious. I really enjoy about four or five songs on that album. To Here Knows When is beautiful.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    And I'm not denying MBV had an influence on ol' Billz. Clearly did. But that kind of snide, undermining comparison is tantamount to Skinny Puppy fans gnashing their teeth that Trent ripped off Dig It in 1988 to make Down In It. You gotta start somewhere; art's about influence.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've listened to My Bloody Valentine, they were alright. Not bad, a lot more indie. Less instant in a way. I do find the drums a bit lacking as it feels like they just plod along in a slow head nodding kinda a way. Billy took that sound and made it more catchy and accessible while JC's drumming takes it up a whole other level and gives the songs an urgent pulse that is missing in My Bloody Valentine stuff. Hence why Billy ain't as good without JC. Billy's got the riffs and melodies, but Iha has the atmosphere and nuance that fills out the rest. But both bands are pretty different from each other and honestly shouldn't even be compared to each other in the first place.

This is like comparing Deftones to Hum. Deftones were heavily inspired by Hum's You'd Prefer An Astronaut down to its album cover, but still polar opposites.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Brief notes:

Also can't find a screencap of the post, but he also said that as soon as the current round of shows are done, he's going right into working on the Machina box and his solo album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I really hope that the two European shows they're playing at the end of the tour sold well enough to initiate a bigger tour next time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I've listened to My Bloody Valentine, they were alright. Not bad, a lot more indie. Less instant in a way. I do find the drums a bit lacking as it feels like they just plod along in a slow head nodding kinda a way. Billy took that sound and made it more catchy and accessible while JC's drumming takes it up a whole other level and gives the songs an urgent pulse that is missing in My Bloody Valentine stuff. Hence why Billy ain't as good without JC. Billy's got the riffs and melodies, but Iha has the atmosphere and nuance that fills out the rest. But both bands are pretty different from each other and honestly shouldn't even be compared to each other in the first place.

This is like comparing Deftones to Hum. Deftones were heavily inspired by Hum's You'd Prefer An Astronaut down to its album cover, but still polar opposites.
    MBV live has some of the best drumming I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Amen to that. 98 different variations of it on last.fm are incoming.
    Yeah. It's gonna be fucking bad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

SOme interesting stuff from someone who had obvious influence for the past 12 years who you don't really hear to much from!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    SP and reunited Nirvana (Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, & McAulay) should tour together.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    SP and reunited Nirvana (Grohl, Novoselic, Smear, & McAulay) should tour together.
    Will never happen, and also, stop that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    sounds interesting... hm...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sounds about what was expected, should be ok but not glorious.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    “Billy singing about riding rainbows” oh fucking hell this is gonna be so great (and by great I mean awe-inspiringly bad)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not going to take lyric commentary out of context. Too easy to form preconceived notions.

"Welp, this song called Rhinoceros has a chorus consisting entirely of 'she knows'. Shitty pun, record must suck."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Rhinoceros was also back when SP was more about the overall music and sound and not vocal-forward brickwalled bullshit. Billy’s at times repetitive and often poetic-but-meaningless writing were way more fitting to that dreamier, buried in the mix feel. Now we get him singing in that godawful new style way louder than any instruments but the lyrics are boring at best and repetitive as shit. They used to be less of a centerpiece than they are now but they’re bringing nothing substantial to the table.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I dunno, man. When I think of vocals buried in a mix, I think of, well, MBV, maybe Cocteau Twins. The vox were never quite as forward in the old days as they are now - IMO that changed around Machina but only got noticeably bad on ZG - but he always sounded clear to me. There's not a lyric on SD or MCIS that doesn't demand attention, poignant or otherwise, as far as I'm concerned. Stupid lyrics have always been a part of SP:

"Everybody's business is everybody's business", "bang bang you're dead, hole in your head", etc. I'm still not sure what the fuck "climb my ribcage too, the replays run for you" is supposed to even be talking about, but I don't care and never have because the song's good. I can agree that them being more forward might draw more attention when things stand out as awkward, but FWIW I actually find the lyrics on Silvery a lot more straightforward than he's been in a while. I think he's realized he had to take a step or two back since Oceania - I was surprised to hear him say something as honest-sounding as "I just got tired" on Ogilala.

Also: Mentions of James on EBow are making me moist.