Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really looking forward to this , Don't care about extras , just care about quality work..

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/GoneGirlMovie/st...74741720825856

New trailer dropping 7/7, hopefully that means new music too

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The website just updated, and whilst the audio is the same, the filename changed: it's now "Echoes-2-42-160.mp3", so I take it the track is probably
    called Echoes.
    http://www.gonegirlmovie.com/

edit: my bad, there's a different outro, with feedback. Dumped it onto Atticus blog if you can't run the flash-heavy gone girl site http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.co...posed-by-trent
    Last edited by sheepdean; 07-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hope to hear some soundtrack news with the trailer release tomorrow!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I just recently read the book and I am very excited to see the movie now. Whatever Fincher uses for filters in his movies (dark) it's amazing. I can only imagine how dark they make this film between Fincher/Reznor+Ross.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    for instance, this quote from gone girl: “I felt a queasy mixture of relief and horror: when you finally stop an itch and realize it’s because you’ve ripped a hole in your skin.”

her writing is so sharp. i remember another near the end where amy talks about growing into every part of nick like a vine, something along those lines. there are several other such passages. It's been a while since i read a book where lines really stuck out in my mind.
    The last one i've read that had prose as striking as the prose in gone girl was The Loop, by Nicholas Evans.

Unfortunately, in the small town in which i am stuck, the closest bookstore is a wal-mart, so i just buy what seems like it might look good.

I am a Steven King fanatic, and an obsessive and prodigious reader. So anything you guys could recommend to keep me reading between king releases would make me happy.

Edit: I started a thread over in literature; it's called Favorite Books and Authors. So, @butter_hole , @sheepdean , please weigh in!
    My mind is bored. I'm reading something that i don't really like right now...i need good recommendations!

Back on topic, i gave TGWTDT a spin for the first time, and i fucking LOVED it! Now i'm really looking forward to the soundtrack to Gone Girl.
    Let me pre-empt and caveat or what-have-you this entire post by saying: feel free to tell me to go fuck myself. What someone else reads is not my business and affects me in no way whatsoever and you are obviously more than welcome to keep doing what you want; my post was a total kneejerk reaction.

If your only source of books is a Walmart, then that explains it, doesn't it? Gone Girl is an airport book. It's something lightly thrilling that you don't have to think about too hard. Something to keep the pages turning while you circle La Guardia. Gillian Flynn used to write for Entertainment Weekly and it completely shows. It's the exact perfect thing for a David Fincher movie (just like GWTDT); lot's of shouting and moody sets and Nick and Amy looking pensively out of windows in nice lighting. I didn't like it because the characters were unbelievably self-entitled, Amy's psychosis didn't make sense and everyone acted like they knew they were on a film set. But I did read the last 200 pages in one sitting. And then threw the book at a wall. It's junk food for your mind, basically.

But our tastes are different. You might hate anything I suggest, like The Goldfinch (orThe Secret History) by Donna Tartt (Junk food for your mind, but high-brow junk food. like a crème brulee at a French restaurant) or Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, or these collections of stories by a member of this very forum (@Sesquipedalism [how do you tag a forum member?!?!]).

Bottom line: do what you want, but basically I hated the book and replied to your comment in an asshole-ish way and now I'm paying the price of getting called out for it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Let me pre-empt and caveat or what-have-you this entire post by saying: feel free to tell me to go fuck myself. What someone else reads is not my business and affects me in no way whatsoever and you are obviously more than welcome to keep doing what you want; my post was a total kneejerk reaction.

If your only source of books is a Walmart, then that explains it, doesn't it? Gone Girl is an airport book. It's something lightly thrilling that you don't have to think about too hard. Something to keep the pages turning while you circle La Guardia. Gillian Flynn used to write for Entertainment Weekly and it completely shows. It's the exact perfect thing for a David Fincher movie (just like GWTDT); lot's of shouting and moody sets and Nick and Amy looking pensively out of windows in nice lighting. I didn't like it because the characters were unbelievably self-entitled, Amy's psychosis didn't make sense and everyone acted like they knew they were on a film set. But I did read the last 200 pages in one sitting. And then threw the book at a wall. It's junk food for your mind, basically.

But our tastes are different. You might hate anything I suggest, like The Goldfinch (orThe Secret History) by Donna Tartt (Junk food for your mind, but high-brow junk food. like a crème brulee at a French restaurant) or Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, or these collections of stories by a member of this very forum @Sesquipedalism [how do you tag a forum member?!?!]).

Bottom line: do what you want, but basically I hated the book and replied to your comment in an asshole-ish way and now I'm paying the price of getting called out for it.
    ahh, shit...i certainly wasn't trying to be a dick or "call you out."
    i personally loved gone girl. I LIKED the character's nastiness. As far as amy's psychosis not making sense, i agree with you. it wasn't perfect.
    basically it had an amazing twist, and some of the writing WAS exquisite. And yes, the ending was kind of off.

I love to read, CONSTANTLY, and am happy to take ANY suggestions. As a matter of fact, i have a good buddy who has been trying to turn me on to David Foster Wallace lately.

I don't know how you feel about the lush religious symbolism of Steinbeck in books like east of eden, or the heady insanity of William S. Burroughs, but i enjoy those things as well. It's not as if i haven't been exposed to good literature.
    And yes, i currently get my books from the walmart. it fucking sucks. i used to live a few blocks from the biggest used book store in the fucking country in dallas. So i buy 12 or 13 best sellers (actually my MOMMY buys them for me, lol, that is part of the problem here,) and read a lot of ultra-forgettable thrillers. i HAVE to read.

I DO love stephen king...i adore his "voice."
    And i know many people look down on him, but he, too, uses some fine literary techniques, like, say, weaving Daphne Du Maurier's incomparable Rebecca into the pages of Bag of Bones.

As far as Gone Girl, like i said, some of the WRITING was exquisite, especially compared to the drudgery i've been reading. That's ultimately why i liked the novel...Flynn's writing talent, sentence by sentence, shined at times.

You didn't respond in an asshole-ish way, you responded in a @butter_hole ish way. i thought it was clever.

But it isn't that i need to read MORE books, it's that i need to read BETTER books!

And you are on the right track for tagging people, you just have to remember it's case sensitive... @Sesquipedalism perhaps?

i ain't mad atcha! i'm just here to spread love and happiness and shit
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-06-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Ah there we go. @Sesquipedalism get in here and sell @elevenism a copy of your book!

And I'm with you 100% on the King love. But we've derailed this thread enough...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    NEW Gone Girl Trailer New music towards the end?

Last edited by Reznor2112; 07-07-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    the music just made this movie more interesting.

the first trailer with the stock music didn't make it seem as intense. thanks T and A!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I can't freaking wait for this soundtrack. Trailer looks and sounds great.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The tone of that track is really nice - it feels more like Ghosts than the other soundtracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New music started from 0:18.
    I like new music and guitar sound with piano. I hope there more music from official film-site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope the music in the trailer is used in the actual film. In GWTDT most of the trailer music was used specifically to score the trailer.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This music sounds almost Downward Spiralish with the kind of buzzing underneath

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, given that the website music seems to be the trailer (and so possibly movie) theme, I wonder if the original site audio vs the current one is like Hand Covers Bruise, with the no piano version that was only on the site.

Also, gorgeous music, still not super excited for the cast though.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    that piano run, it's a scale/relationship of notes that shows up SO often in trent's music.
    if i had paid more attention in music theory i could tell you what it is.

Whatsamatter, @sheepdean . Do you not appreciate Aflac? AFLAC!

All joking aside, he finally won me over with "The Town." Believe it or not, he CAN act! (little known fact)
    He just doesn't do it in a whole lot of his movies. I think Afflack will be good in this one.

The woman playing amy...i'm not familiar with her, so idk what to expect.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Dude, Tyler Perry too...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Good trailer. Music stood out more than anything, that's from a non biased standpoint. I love Fincher but the trailer makes the film look a bit like flavour of the month in comparison to the teaser. The music makes it something deeper. Cannot wait for more!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Now it's a must see for me...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    All joking aside, he finally won me over with "The Town." Believe it or not, he CAN act! (little known fact)
    TROOF!

The woman playing amy...i'm not familiar with her, so idk what to expect.
    She was a Bond girl in Die Another Day, Brosnan's last, you know, the one with the awful Madonna theme song.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I really liked her in An Education and The World's End.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Instagram from 20th century sound stage with an orchestra. I'm really excited for this

http://web.stagram.com/p/760279948971537967_2549924

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Instagram from 20th century sound stage with an orchestra. I'm really excited for this

http://web.stagram.com/p/760279948971537967_2549924
    I'll give a lot of money for whatever's on that piece of paper :P
    Also, live orchestra, fuck yeah

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    *Is imagining two hours of the Tetsuo theme and reaching for the tissue box.*

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    wow, mothafuckin t-rez with an orchestra...
    when did we get so fucking old?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Okay I'm ridiculously excited for what Trent and Atticus will do with an orchestra. And I'm relieved that Gone Girl is out in the cinemas in the UK on Oct 3rd as well, I'm sure we had to wait a few weeks for The Social Network after the US release

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Okay I'm ridiculously excited for what Trent and Atticus will do with an orchestra. And I'm relieved that Gone Girl is out in the cinemas in the UK on Oct 3rd as well, I'm sure we had to wait a few weeks for The Social Network after the US release
    Hoping for both slower and quicker orchestral stuff myself, but whatever comes out, I'm sure it'll be excellent. The orchestral element has definitely upped my excitement levels for this!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm very excited for this. I still listen to TSN and TGWTDT soundtrack quite often while I work and plug away at my desk.

I find OST 'music' to be more descriptive than conventional 'music'. I find more emotions and complexity in the 'music'.

I guess that's why there are so many fans of instrumentals from Nine Inch Nails.

Side note: Some classical/orchestral/symphony music has more chaotic and intense riffs than Cannibal Corpse or Meshuggah. Beethoven was a modern day punk ass rocker!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Side note: Some classical/orchestral/symphony music has more chaotic and intense riffs than Cannibal Corpse or Meshuggah. Beethoven was a modern day punk ass rocker!
    my friend and i were eating at kuma's corner (a chicago burger place known for always playing metal and having burgers named after metal bands) recently and discussing the fact that (good, technical) metal is basically classical music played on rock instruments, with vocals.