Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my friend and i were eating at kuma's corner (a chicago burger place known for always playing metal and having burgers named after metal bands) recently and discussing the fact that (good, technical) metal is basically classical music played on rock instruments, with vocals.
    Wholly agree. Cliff Burton's biggest inspiration was Bach after all....(2 legends)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    my friend and i were eating at kuma's corner (a chicago burger place known for always playing metal and having burgers named after metal bands) recently and discussing the fact that (good, technical) metal is basically classical music played on rock instruments, with vocals.
    Actually, it's not a direct relationship. Metal is based originally off of blues. You only need to listen to some Sabbath to hear all the elements of blues.

Which is why I don't understand why Metallica 'load' was so hated. Load is a heavy blues album, Metallica exploring their roots.

But modern metal is taking on more influences, with multiple time signatures, dissonance etc, it's gone very 'classical'

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'd argue all modern rock, metal and pop is based in blues and jazz.

On topic, this is about the time of year we get our album sampler isn't it?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Actually, it's not a direct relationship. Metal is based originally off of blues. You only need to listen to some Sabbath to hear all the elements of blues.

Which is why I don't understand why Metallica 'load' was so hated. Load is a heavy blues album, Metallica exploring their roots.

But modern metal is taking on more influences, with multiple time signatures, dissonance etc, it's gone very 'classical'
    sabbath has always seemed more "hard rock" to me, and not so much metal (but i do love them). hard rock was obviously a gateway to metal, but i'm also talking about more modern stuff, not the classics.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Zeppelin's the best example of the transition between blues and metal, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    "transition" is a funny way to say "literally stole blues standards" :P

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Gonna have to disagree. I believe zep is the party band while sabbath brought darkness and heaviness.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    That whole orchestra pic kinda threw me into a loop. I always imagined (and assumed) that Trent and Atticus did all the work including playing all the instruments for both previous soundtracks. Now the orchestra. It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the addition of the orchestra.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    That whole orchestra pic kinda threw me into a loop. I always imagined (and assumed) that Trent and Atticus did all the work including playing all the instruments for both previous soundtracks. Now the orchestra. It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the addition of the orchestra.
    Atticus used a full orchestra on Book of Eli, so if you've not picked up that OST yet, it'll give you some strong ideas of what they can do with 'em (spoiler: it's awesome).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    On topic, this is about the time of year we get our album sampler isn't it?
    Nope, apparently for TSN, there was just an eleven day gap between the sampler and the official release...seemed longer, though a bit hazy now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soc...rk_(soundtrack)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Damn, must be losing my mind.

At least we probably won't have to pay $300 for vinyl this time because it didn't go too well before. And maybe Sony will think to press more than they did for TSN considering the price that that goes for.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The gap between the sampler and the final release was even smaller for GDT - a week.

Still got a few months to go.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Damn, must be losing my mind.

At least we probably won't have to pay $300 for vinyl this time because it didn't go too well before. And maybe Sony will think to press more than they did for TSN considering the price that that goes for.

Yeah, still not understanding the price inflation for the TSN vinyl. They quit pressing it because it was a bad pressing. Ive seen nothing but shitty reviews for the that release as far as sound quality….not sure what happened there.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The price inflation is because it's Oscar winning more than crazy nin fans I think. And I know it's imperfect but I really wish I had it, maybe if there's a second pressing I'll be able to get it

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Atticus used a full orchestra on Book of Eli, so if you've not picked up that OST yet, it'll give you some strong ideas of what they can do with 'em (spoiler: it's awesome).
    I listened to it for the first time today while at work. Interesting! Thanks for the 411, I love this type of music for background music while I work.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I listened to it for the first time today while at work. Interesting! Thanks for the 411, I love this type of music for background music while I work.
    *casually points out Broken City and Days of Grace OSTs too*

I think the orchestra could really change the sound of the soundtrack, have TRAR ever used orchestra before, from Tapew*rm to NIN/HTDA?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    *casually points out Broken City and Days of Grace OSTs too*
    I second the Broken City recommendation, some excellent stuff on that. Not heard Days Of Grace yet.
    Last edited by simonn; 07-16-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I second the Broken City recommendation, some excellent stuff on that. Not heard Days Of Grace yet.
    They're both good, and I really like the rest of the Days of Grace OST in addition to the AR stuff. Back on topic, I'm looking forward to hearing what they do with a full orchestra.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The price inflation is because it's Oscar winning more than crazy nin fans I think. And I know it's imperfect but I really wish I had it, maybe if there's a second pressing I'll be able to get it

It would be awesome if Mondo did a repressing of it with LE art.
    http://mondotees.com/view_category.asp?cat=19

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hey @Reznor2112 , did not know about those Mondo repressings, went to check the website and saw the Gravity vinyl, wanted to buy it but it was sold out, and I'm not willing to pay $85 for that on Ebay. Thanks for sharing.

I went to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yesterday, it had the Gone Girl trailer preceding it. I have to say that my crap computer speakers did not do justice (at all) to the magnificent piece of music TR/AR have created. Honestly I watched the trailer in my computer and was not to impressed by it, but now watching it on the big screen, I can say with all confidence that this soundtrack is going to kick some huge butt. The music was perfect to create tension...Hopefully Fincher pushes the music to the forefront, like he did on TSN and not like TGWTDT.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 07-21-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Hey @Reznor2112, did not know about those Mondo repressings, went to check the website and saw the Gravity vinyl, wanted to buy it but it was sold out, and I'm not willing to pay $85 for that on Ebay. Thanks for sharing.
    Not a problem, and yeah I snagged the Jurassic Park one. glad i did, because it sold out that day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    .... changes have been made to the site; lots of new stuff up:

http://www.gonegirlmovie.com/

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Vens View Post
    .... changes have been made to the site; lots of new stuff up:

http://www.gonegirlmovie.com/
    Forgive me, but what's new since the update from the 6th?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well fuck me! Guess I was late for the party ....20 fucking days late! Ha!

Forgive me, but what's new since the update from the 6th?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So I finished reading the book this morning and I can't get over how "holy shit" this movie is going to be. I can't wait to hear what Trent and Atticus have put together, how it'll fit with the story, etc

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing8 View Post
    So I finished reading the book this morning and I can't get over how "holy shit" this movie is going to be. I can't wait to hear what Trent and Atticus have put together, how it'll fit with the story, etc
    ok so you liked the book too?
    the ending was weak but i thought all in all that it was fucking great.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ok so you liked the book too?
    the ending was weak but i thought all in all that it was fucking great.
    I had to re-read that last part of the book about 3 times because I wasn't sure if I missed something or whether I was missing pages, or maybe I just don't fully understand the way it ended. The ending as a whole was pretty good, but that last section just didn't do it for me. I've got my girlfriend reading it at the moment, she's just about finished as well, I'm very interested in hearing her thoughts on how it ended.

That being said, the fact that the entire third act has pretty much been re-written for the film has me VERY excited.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    I had to re-read that last part of the book about 3 times because I wasn't sure if I missed something or whether I was missing pages, or maybe I just don't fully understand the way it ended. The ending as a whole was pretty good, but that last section just didn't do it for me. I've got my girlfriend reading it at the moment, she's just about finished as well, I'm very interested in hearing her thoughts on how it ended.

That being said, the fact that the entire third act has pretty much been re-written for the film has me VERY excited.
    me too. i assume it will be better, and we who read the book will be surprised.

Hey @nothing8 , are you a Dexter fan? Because i thought that the twin sister in Gone Girl was either consciously or accidentally based on Dexter's sister Deb.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    me too. i assume it will be better, and we who read the book will be surprised.

Hey @nothing8 , are you a Dexter fan? Because i thought that the twin sister in Gone Girl was either consciously or accidentally based on Dexter's sister Deb.
    Not a Dexter fan...yet. I've had plenty of people recommend I jump on it ASAP though and I've been meaning to start watching another series.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Not a Dexter fan...yet. I've had plenty of people recommend I jump on it ASAP though and I've been meaning to start watching another series.
    oh shit...get on it.
    it's in my top 3 of all time