Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Gone Girl (2014)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Finished the book earlier in the week; pretty good. Didn't like the ending but I think I understand what the author was getting at. Looking forward to see how the movie differs.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i fucking LOVED the book, loved her writing style and the twist...but yeah, i'll admit, the ending was lacking.

what it felt like to me was an omniscient narrator getting further and further away from the characters somehow, you feel me? the narrative distance changed. before we had REALLY in depth description of the characters' thoughts and feelings and whatnot.
    also the way the time speeds up in the end is fairly disconcerting.

but like you said @jmtd , i can't wait to see how the movie differs myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I guess Fincher has tweaked the ending. I thought the same about the ending, it wasn't amazing <----- see what I did there? But I don't know how else I would have liked it to end. I also don't see the middle of the book happening til a lot later in the movie. Either way I can't wait. More importantly I can't wait to get a Trent Reznor score on Vinyl. Seeing as I was broke for the first two and can't afford either still (GWTDT = $300 = ...fuck... AND TSN being like $60 around the net) But Il be ready for this release.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Flynn herself tweaked the ending: she wrote the screenplay.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing8 View Post
    I've got my girlfriend reading it at the moment, she's just about finished as well, I'm very interested in hearing her thoughts on how it ended.
    She finished reading the book last night, same thoughts from her as well, the ending was a bit of a let down.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @nothing8 , i couldn't get my girl to read it. i even bought two copies.
    you know what, i think i'm gonna get an audio version...we've been listening to a lot together through our Plex channel.

and yes, isn't it cool that Flynn wrote the screenplay?

I have high hopes for this one!

But as far as buying a $300 record...i think i'm more in the "i'll probably listen to it on youtube" income bracket at the moment.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Finished the book last night. I really liked it even when the ending left me a little confused. Can't wait to see the movie! David Fincher nails this kind of thriller and if the soundtrack is as cool as the little bits we've been able to listen or the SN or GDT ones already released, it's going to be a hell of a ride.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Instagram post of backstage multitasking on the tour - I'm really excited for this
    http://websta.me/p/784912643965908920_2549924

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "consequence reprise"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If someone is interested in the song from the trailer PM me.
    It's not extracted from the trailer itself but audiotrack used in it.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i posted this in the thread about the book, but i decided to post it here too.
    I got to thinking about the Flynn's writing style and the fact that she had written a book called "Sharp Objects," and i wondered if it was the same book i read in '08 or so about the journalist who cut words into her body with a razor blade.

Sure enough, it was.

It was gimmicky, like gone girl, but also wildly entertaining. I highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I as well just finished reading Gone Girl. Out of her three books, it was definitely my favorite. I feel like she couldn't figure out a way to end it other than what the reader already expected and wanted to throw in a cheap twist, that in effect cheapened the ending a bit. So I'm hoping she decided to do what SHOULD be done with Spoiler: Nick choking her, realizing he's just as bad as Amy, and then walking away to continue to figure out how to expose Amy's lies with Go and Boney, leading to Amy's arrest

I am extremely curious to hear how TR&AR make the film sound. I listened to the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack almost all of the time while I was reading this AND her previous book Dark Places (a story that I think is also suited extremely well for David Fincher), and the tone fits perfectly. Can't wait for them to finally announce the soundtrack.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I as well just finished reading Gone Girl. Out of her three books, it was definitely my favorite. I feel like she couldn't figure out a way to end it other than what the reader already expected and wanted to throw in a cheap twist, that in effect cheapened the ending a bit. So I'm hoping she decided to do what SHOULD be done with Spoiler: Nick choking her, realizing he's just as bad as Amy, and then walking away to continue to figure out how to expose Amy's lies with Go and Boney, leading to Amy's arrest

I am extremely curious to hear how TR&AR make the film sound. I listened to the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack almost all of the time while I was reading this AND her previous book Dark Places (a story that I think is also suited extremely well for David Fincher), and the tone fits perfectly. Can't wait for them to finally announce the soundtrack.
    so, yeah, you dug the other books too?
    i recently realized that i read sharp objects when it came out and thought it was pretty dope.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    so, yeah, you dug the other books too?
    i recently realized that i read sharp objects when it came out and thought it was pretty dope.
    Yeah I read all three in order. Sharp Objects is probably her weakest book, but it's still pretty great. I though Dark Places was super riveting. It reads incredibly fast, and has just as good of a plot twist as Gone Girl. It's dark as shit, and like I said, the thing is just oozing "David Fincher". Him doing Gone Girl is still perfect, though, and thematically Spoiler: it's pretty cool that his last two films have been about a murder investigation where the victim was alive the entire time.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @richardp , it's funny, an ex girlfriend turned me on to Sharp Objects back in 08 or so and i loved it. I didn't, however, remember the title or the author.
    I only recently made the connection. I suppose i will be reading Dark Places next.
    A lot of people here didn't seem to be impressed with Gone Girl, but i fucking loved it.
    I've been reading this book by a writer called Ben Coes, and it is pretty awful, but i'm the type who always has to be reading SOMETHING.
    I went to jail a few months back and thought i was going to be doing a month, and also thought i was going to have my psych meds, so i bought a dozen books as i usually read one every couple of days in jail. But there was a problem with my prescriptions and i wound up in benzodiazapine withdrawal (preventing me from being able to concentrate enough to read for about a week), and my sentence was reduced to 2 weeks, so i have a bunch of random books i bought at walmart that i'm still slaving through. I think i'm gonna go ahead and get Dark Places now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This truly looks and sounds amazing

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I am liking the direction that the opening music is taking, something very natural about it

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Trent is still working on the soundtrack?? Phht. Danny Elfman woulda been done long ago!

Kidding. I'm very eager to experience this soundtrack.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I am liking the direction that the opening music is taking, something very natural about it
    It sounds to me like more guitars are being used, so I'm hoping for quite varied musical styles given we can assume there is an orchestra involved as well

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    New Trailer!!! Music sounds amazing!!!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Thanks @Reznor2112 . You're about fourteen hours later than the post just four above yours

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    guitars are being used,
    ^^^This! Sounds pretty bad ass. Bit OT for the "Scores" thread but would love to hear TR do some crunchy distorted guitar for new NIN.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Thanks @Reznor2112. You're about fourteen hours later than the post just four above yours
    Oh…..oh dear…ohhhhh dear...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how to word what I think about the new music we've heard so far. It seems more...out there? Further towards the front? Dragon Tattoo was very subdued, very quiet, focusing more on creepy, but this seems bolder and more willing to be noticed and heard, rather than fading into the background like Dragon Tattoo's soundtrack often did.

I don't know what I'm talking about. The point is that it sounds good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    im rock hard listening to that. i got a lot of wood. damn

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    im rock hard listening to that. i got a lot of wood. damn
    Surely, you can post something better than that next time you reply in a thread, @butter_hole .

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Information about this soundtrack should be released soon, right? Details usually get released about a month before the movie comes out..right?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The big reveal certainly has to be coming up, but wasn't there only a week's notice with Dragon Tattoo? We might be looking at that situation again, which would place the soundtrack release in mid to late September, a couple weeks ahead of the film.

That's actually not too far away. Hm.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Totally thought until this very minute that the movie was coming out in December. Had no idea it's actually close enough that we can get excited about new music soon!

Edit: I wonder if they might go digital-only release style?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Thought this would be just as relevant here as in the Film section...

While a homevideo release of Gone Girl is still a ways off, Blu-ray.com currently has 2 versions listed:

• The first one is listed as a single BD with an iTunes video copy, as well as an Ultraviolet copy.
    • The second one is listed as Limited Edition, with 2 BD's, as well as an Ultraviolet copy. Original Pressing is noted as including a slipcase.

No mention, at the moment, of either including a DVD copy. That 2nd option sounds like TGWTDT, so I'm personally thinking there will be a copy on DVD. The 1st one sounds like a "standard" HD studio release.

EDIT: more TR/AR behind-the-scenes goodness, please!