Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Grimes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Grimes

Stumbled into this beautiful artist through a friend's Facebook post clobbering her form of veganism... lol

Goddamn--Visions is hot, hot, hot.

Getting that record one way or another.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I was playing Visions in the car for my daughter today. I like the first half of the album, but I just can't get into the last half. I still like her.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really like Halfaxa, but am so-so on Visions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    She's great live! Go if she comes near you.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    she drives me up a wall. that's all i'll say about that (in this thread).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I really only like the song "Vanessa", but I don't even think that's on Visions. I don't like her much besides that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure Visions is the best pop album I've ever heard. It's been almost two years so I think it's safe to add it to my desert island collection.

She's trying to make the next one sound professional so it might not come out in 2014, but let's hope.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Grimes

She still seems to be home recording though, which is awesome

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I am in love with this woman. Plus if you didn't already know, she's a NIN fan.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    her tumblr is absolutely hilarious. one minute she'll post a rant about people taking things too seriously, the next she'll post a vegan ice cream review, and then she'll post some obscure 90s music video. she's great. i constantly feel like "man, i just want to hang out with her, she seems fun."

my wife (who got me into grimes) and i saw her live...last year? she was incredible. you'd think an artist like her would just hit play in ableton and sing just like on the record, but neither thing is true. she puts on a fantastic performance and totally changes up her material. it's very refreshing.

really want to get copies of halafaxa & geidi primes on vinyl but they go for WAY too much on discogs. hoping for reissues at some point.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My favorite from Visions, for a while now. It has the power to stop all bad feelings in me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think she is great but her chipmunk voice gets on my tits after a few tracks. Looking forward to hear what she does next though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Grimes releases music video for unheard track ‘REALiTi’

The new song is dedicated to the fans on the Visions singer's Asia tour

More info here http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/ar...-track-realiti

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This track is so great. It still disappoints me so much that she let a bunch of snotty tumblr assholes convince her to now make her last album. If that was the album she wanted to make she should have just made and not listened to all the idiots telling her that "Go" was a sell out track. Because between "Go", this track, and the other new track she played at Pitchfork Fest last summer, her Pop album SHOULD have been amazing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    This track is so great. It still disappoints me so much that she let a bunch of snotty tumblr assholes convince her to now make her last album. If that was the album she wanted to make she should have just made and not listened to all the idiots telling her that "Go" was a sell out track. Because between "Go", this track, and the other new track she played at Pitchfork Fest last summer, her Pop album SHOULD have been amazing.
    wait, what happened there?

this song is FANTASTIC and is exactly where i would have hoped she'd go after visions.
    Go was really disappointing to me (mostly because of the dubstep elements), and didn't really feel like an evolution of her sound, it felt like a step sideways.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, what happened there?

this song is FANTASTIC and is exactly where i would have hoped she'd go after visions.
    Go was really disappointing to me (mostly because of the dubstep elements), and didn't really feel like an evolution of her sound, it felt like a step sideways.
    Go technically WAS a step sideways as it was a track written for Rihanna, but scrapped because Rihanna didn't like it, so Grimes redid it and it was supposed to be from her new album, which was set to be an all Pop album, moving away from her previous ambient electronic efforts. At first she was really excited about the album and then a bunch of shitty snotty tumblr people started throwing insults at her on the internet over the change in sound on Go and they all convinced her to scrap the album, so she deleted everything she had made for it and started another album that will supposedly just be like her older stuff.

So basically shitty hipsters convinced her not to take a chance and try something new out, because they are too insecure musically to allow for their backpocket artist to grow and expand her sound.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    what wha happen

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't like to think Grimes is so insecure as to change musical direction based on tumblr comments.
    I hope the story is bs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I don't like to think Grimes is so insecure as to change musical direction based on tumblr comments.
    I hope the story is bs.
    It would seem so....

“I never ditched an album due to negative fan reaction”: Grimes on scrapped record

http://www.factmag.com/2015/03/14/gr...crapped-album/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    It would seem so....

“I never ditched an album due to negative fan reaction”: Grimes on scrapped record

http://www.factmag.com/2015/03/14/gr...crapped-album/
    Awesome. I'm glad to hear this, because that honestly bummed me out thinking that she was that sensitive over her fans.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This song is just right.

Claire is a shooting star in my world.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What I don't get was the sudden butthurt over her proclamations of her expanding the pop elements of her sound. "Go" wasn't a huge deviation for her since pop was already a substantial element to her sound -- in fact, I'd go as far as to say that her pop sensibilities are exactly what sets her apart (and in many instances above) the ambient/electronic fray. I just wish she would've released whatever she had finished from the scrapped sessions for the huge chunk of fans who actually did like "Go" (myself included).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ok, i listened to Go again and literally the only issue i have with it is the bit of dubstep. it feels forced and unnatural (and i also really hate dubstep). otherwise, it's a fun, catchy, and pretty song, which is exactly what i want when i listen to grimes.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ok, i listened to Go again and literally the only issue i have with it is the bit of dubstep. it feels forced and unnatural (and i also really hate dubstep). otherwise, it's a fun, catchy, and pretty song, which is exactly what i want when i listen to grimes.
    Well I mean, technically the dubstep was intended for someone else, and I think her and Blood Diamonds decided to just keep it in. I personally love that part, though. And it fucking KILLED live.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    BTW, if any of you have the technology (Adobe Audition, Logic), stretching "Go" out to around 5min in length gives it a pretty awesome chopped/screwed vibe.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I like her popper stuff better. Her music always sounded like pop to me though... If she wanted to scrap "an album" of material over bad fan reaction to a single, that's fine. If her next album is well received, I'm sure she'll release the "lost record"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-11-2015 at 04:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    REALiTi is excellent. I like it a lot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Said gripes aside, REALiTi takes the fucking cake. Possibly my favorite piece by her so far.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yeah, this new song is fucking phenomenal. Can't stop listening to it. If she could somehow put out an entire album of songs like this, I think my brain would just explode from the sheer bliss.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Yeah, this new song is fucking phenomenal. Can't stop listening to it. If she could somehow put out an entire album of songs like this, I think my brain would just explode from the sheer bliss.
    Serious truth. It's such a good morning song, content aside. I dunno. I don't have to explain shit. <3