Thread: Science fiction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was perusing the Arthur C. Clarke section at a used book store a couple of days ago and noticed the name of the spacecraft in his 1947 novel Prelude to Space is Prometheus. I wonder if Ridley Scott or someone involved in the film has read it, or if it's just a coincidence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I was perusing the Arthur C. Clarke section at a used book store a couple of days ago and noticed the name of the spacecraft in his 1947 novel Prelude to Space is Prometheus. I wonder if Ridley Scott or someone involved in the film has read it, or if it's just a coincidence.
    I bought Solaris yesterday (because the other books you guys recommended were not available, I might have to buy that from Amazon), and the spacecraft the main character arrives in is also called Prometheus.

I'm on the first 70-80 pages and it's awesome. Apparently there are 2 german translations of the book and I bought the shitty one, but I still like it so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm just discovering Alastair Reynolds and his Revelation Space trilogy. I can't get over how enormous the scope of his imagination is, the first book had me more engrossed than any other novel I can remember for the last couple of years. Usually I'm not one for pages of techno-babble, but here I'm finding that the astrophysical jargon that he backs his stories up with is a real complement to the plot. I'm nearing the end of Redemption Ark, it's still extremely well-written but I think a little less focused than the first one. Very excited to see how it all turns out...