Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Dark Crystal

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The Dark Crystal

Someone has gone to great lengths to recreate The Dark Crystal as it was originally intended to be seen.
    It would be great if an actual Director's Cut sees the light of day.

From the youtube description:

Disclaimer: It's still a little rough. My computer had lots of slowdown since I was syncing to a HQ vid and some of the missteps in editing weren't noticeable until the 5 hour render was complete! They're minor and not frequent so it might only take you out of the moment briefly.

Black and white scenes were included from the workprint occasionally since they're not available elsewhere. They include: A matte painting of landscape in front of Skeksis castle that pans down to the 'lost' Jen swimming scene, an extended clip of 'Trial By Stone', an extended scene in Aughra's home, with a little extra at the end.

Deleted funeral scenes from the DVD are restored to their proper place

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I might be mistaken but I was under the impression that Jim Hanson had pretty good control over his movies, and that the cuts he made were done for creative reasons (either lenghts, they didn't work, etc). I mean, there are a couple of films out there that studio executives fucked up and could use some restoring, but The Dark Crystal is not one of them.

Don't take me wrong, I love fan projects like this, and will make sure to watch the full video when I get off work, but I wouldn't say "the way in was originally intended to be seen".

Unless I missed something.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Lots of childhood scariness in this movie for me: those creatures being squeezed for their essence…almost traumatic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This is great news.
    The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance series coming to Netflix.