Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alternative music album Hesitation Marks, Nine Inch Nails - Grammy

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Alternative means contrary to mainstream and/or doesn't fit in the other genres. So yes, NIN is alternative.
    So, then, that makes it indie? If so, I'm having a good laugh at NIN being considered at indie. I have no idea what kind of genre to put NIN anymore. I could have put a label on NIN back in the 90s, but not now. I don't they're alternative (I think that label is dead), indie, dad rock, hard rock, or even arena rock (hello, Bon Jovi). I think the best genre to put NIN is NIN.

I could just picture it now: Christian Bale on the podium, "...And the winner for best album in the Nine Inch Nails category goes to.....Nine Inch Nails." And then this is the part where Kanye West goes up on stage and goes all Taylor Swift on Trent and Christian Bale. *end of daydream*

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That is a good daydream though I think it would end with Kanye getting a beatdown from both Trent and Bale.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    So, then, that makes it indie? If so, I'm having a good laugh at NIN being considered at indie. I have no idea what kind of genre to put NIN anymore. I could have put a label on NIN back in the 90s, but not now. I don't they're alternative (I think that label is dead), indie, dad rock, hard rock, or even arena rock (hello, Bon Jovi). I think the best genre to put NIN is NIN.
    I'm not denying that NIN is a hard one to pinpoint, like many artists. But OF THE AVAILABLE OPTIONS, they're most clearly alternative. If there was a dark ambient metal section, then I'd say bung them in there, but as it is, they're closest to alternative.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    FWIW, there are actual definitions to the genre categories. the alternative category is defined as "recordings of a non-traditional form that exist (at least initially) outside of the mainstream music consciousness. Its avant-garde approach may utilize new technology or new production techniques and contain elements of rock, pop, R&B, dance, folk, or even classical musical styles." [source PDF]

past nominees include Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush, R.E.M., The Cure, Radiohead, David Byrne and Brian Eno, Nine Inch Nails . . .

personally, i think NIN fits extremely well in that category.
    Last edited by m15a; 12-08-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I know what people want to hear, I know what will increase my odds of monetary gain and social recognition. The only reward I seek is a better understanding of myself, for me this is achieved through the process of writing music. - snaapz

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Hesitation Marks is the worst album in this category and it's not even close. I think Lonerism by Tame Impala is one of the best albums of the past few years, so I would vote for it. The National and Vampire Weekend put out y two favorite albums this year, and this is also Neko Case's best album in a decade. The committee loves established acts like NIN, so my money is on Trent to actually win.

Biggest leftfield nominee is James Blake for Best New Artist, I hope to God he wins, even if this is his second album.
    I saw Vampire Weekend twice this year in music festivals and I couldn't help but think "why are these guys on main stage again?". They were...not bad, but nothing to write home about. Could someone explain to me why they got big? Maybe it's me getting old.

I could see The National winning, though.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I saw Vampire Weekend twice this year in music festivals and I couldn't help but think "why are these guys on main stage again?". They were...not bad, but nothing to write home about. Could someone explain to me why they got big? Maybe it's me getting old.

I could see The National winning, though.
    They have catchy pop songs, lived up to their unbelievable hype they had coming out when they made their first album, they tour relentlessly, each album they've made ups the ante and gets better. They're a much more mature band than they were five years ago and they don't take themselves seriously. Honestly, these guys should be headlining their mainstages by now. I don't know of a better group right now that's capturing the aura and uncertainty of being in your mid 20's, quite like Vampire Weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Hesitation Marks is the worst album in this category and it's not even close. I think Lonerism by Tame Impala is one of the best albums of the past few years, so I would vote for it. The National and Vampire Weekend put out y two favorite albums this year, and this is also Neko Case's best album in a decade. The committee loves established acts like NIN, so my money is on Trent to actually win.

Biggest leftfield nominee is James Blake for Best New Artist, I hope to God he wins, even if this is his second album.

Just get out, please.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Just get out, please.
    Who are you exactly? Is this the best you can really do without any semblance of a intelligent retort? Some of you may have your head in the sand and think Trent can do no wrong, but there are people with a different opinion than yours. Thanks for stopping by and giving us your glorious presence and informative response...asshole.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm not denying that NIN is a hard one to pinpoint, like many artists. But OF THE AVAILABLE OPTIONS, they're most clearly alternative. If there was a dark ambient metal section, then I'd say bung them in there, but as it is, they're closest to alternative.
    True, I just think labeling bands these days is so irrelevant because some bands are hard to pinpoint and can span different genres (see Chromeo, Grimes, Regina Spektor). But yeah, out of all the options available, NIN is alternative.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    But... but... industrial sounds so much better...

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Who fucking cares