Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Childish Gambino

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Childish Gambino

The new album is *different* but still good. Experimental but great.
    This is my favourite track so far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I can't believe he left community to do this. At least his stand up was funny. This is just odd.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I love his music. Because the Internet has really been growing on me lately.

I'm a little disappointed that Centipede didn't make the cut, but I don't think he indicated that it was a contender for the album at any point.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    His music and hit and miss for me. I've been waiting for the new album to come out, gotta check it out sometime this week. "Heartbeat" seems to be my favorite track by him and wish he went more in the direction that song sounds, but that's just me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is amazing.
    A full screenplay with visuals to go along with the new album

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    This new album is gooooooood.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just listened to the new album. I thought it was good, but like Because The Internet, I feel like it's going to have to grow on me a bit.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BNgjtqdBrnE/

Questlove sums it up perfectly(a bit over the top, but I agree with the general sentiment of it being completely unexpected and great).

Dude I'm so fucked up right now. I can't even form the proper hyperbolic sentence to explain to D'angleo why I woke him up at 4am to listen to this. I'm like---when is the last time someone sucker punched me on this level.....I mean I knew #AroundTheWorldInADay was coming & it was a left turn---I'm about to blow the wigs off music historians... but I thought I was getting some fresh millennial 2016 hip hop shit and I got sucker punched. The last sucker punch in black music I remember in which NOONE had a clue what was coming was Sly's #TheresARiotGoinOn---read my IG about it (the flag)---I'm writing in real time cause ---Jesus Christ the co-author of #WearwolfBarmitzvah just SONNED the shit outta me. In the best way possible. I was NOT expecting a trip to Detroit circa 1972 at United Sound Studios. I haven't written or been stunned by an album I wasn't expecting since that time I got an advance of #BackToBlack. The music is so lush man, I can see the kaleidoscope color mesh of the #Westbound logo. Dude I can't curb my enthusiasm. All I know is if #P4k try to play him again with these ratings there WILL be a riot goin on.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 12-02-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I'm not digging it. He just sounds like an actor pretending to be a music artist.

I think it's because I'm just not into Childish Gambino at all. I've checked out his last album a couple years ago and that one also did nothing for me. I don't get what all the hype is about.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I'm not digging it.
    I think it's because I'm just not into Childish Gambino at all.
    Yeah, that could have something to do with it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Ahhhhh. This is so good. This song has so many areas where it could go so, so wrong while being done live. But this was great!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I'm gonna have to watch that when I get a minute, because "Redbone" has been one of my favorites since it was debuted. "Terrified" is fucking beautiful, too. This is easily one of my top 5 albums of the year, for sure.

I was also at the record store with a friend the other day and thought "what the hell, maybe they actually have something of his in stock" - and discovered they had one vinyl copy of Because the Internet! <3 I was literally giddy with excitement.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Last edited by BRoswell; 05-06-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Someone else really liked it too. For me, it’s a rare case where I like the video more than the song (which is still good by the way, but the video is perfect).

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/993235063595651073?s=21
    Last edited by Swykk; 05-06-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Unbelievable video. The symbolism makes it worth multiple viewings...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw that video. Holy shit, it was fucking good. Donald Glover is awesome.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I checked this out because of Trent's tweet, don't really like the song as mumble rap is just not my thing but the video is definitely interesting. Quite the moves there along with the faces he's making.

Not sure that i completely understand everything that's going on in there besides just straight chaos and how casual the gun violence was.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Weird, I just watched my DVR of SNL and had to Google what’s up behind this guy, loved the performance of “This Is America” on SNL

Edit: I ain’t even seen no video

Interesting:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adrienn...is-is-america/
    Last edited by allegro; 05-06-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I don't know... the musical aspect seems to lean on the visual by necessity to deliver the impact. On its own it doesn't really do much for me. The video is great though.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Quite the moves there along with the faces he's making.
    That's his Forest Whitaker eye. It's to intimidate.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I checked this out because of Trent's tweet, don't really like the song as mumble rap is just not my thing but the video is definitely interesting. Quite the moves there along with the faces he's making.

Not sure that i completely understand everything that's going on in there besides just straight chaos and how casual the gun violence was.
    - The people shot are just left in the background unattended or dragged away, while the gun itself (both times) is carefully wrapped up and carried away. More emphasis and care is given to the weapon than the victim. Pretty powerful stuff.
    - The guitar player at the beginning bears a pretty striking resemblance to Trayvon Martin's father.

- The choir that's gunned down, at least I believe, references the Charleston shooting.

- His facial movements and dancing heavily references the Jim Crow caricature in the early 20th century, blackface, etc. (This is the one I picked up the most upon first viewing).

- He's wearing Confederate soldier pants.

- As for the rest of the dancing, alone and with the kids, I think it's just supposed to symbolize a distraction while the real shit is taking place in the background. i.e. I didn't even notice the rider on the pale horse (symbolizing Death?) until the second viewing.

I could go on and on lol.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Best music video in YEAAAAARS. Good lord is this thing amazing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    -
    - As for the rest of the dancing, alone and with the kids, I think it's just supposed to symbolize a distraction while the real shit is taking place in the background. i.e. I didn't even notice the rider on the pale horse (symbolizing Death?) until the second viewing.
    The above link I gave from Forbes suggests:

The dancing. Gambino references at least 10 ultra-popular dances including old ones and new ones. One of those dances was the Gwara Gwara, which originated in South Africa. What's remarkable is that the dancers nailed each performance and you could interpret that in one or two or three ways. One, they are clueless and dancing. Two, they have a clue and dance to keep from crying. Three, they are jamming for the camera or for social media video and know their dancing is a distraction, a salve or an invisibility cloak. Keep in mind the dancers were not shot, nor were they chased by the police. Given Glover's droll sense of realistic humor on Atlanta FX, it would not surprise me if all three interpretations are correct, because often that is life in America.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yeah, that video was something else.

Wow. I was really impressed with this one.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who finds his music "eh" at best? I've just always felt his material is always so toothless.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I prefer Camp over everything else but mostly enjoy his later stuff. This is the best post Camp song.
    Last edited by Swykk; 05-07-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Am I the only one who finds his music "eh" at best? I've just always felt his material is always so toothless.
    Maybe his early stuff, but I thought Awaken, My Love was pretty great and I love this new song.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Maybe his early stuff, but I thought Awaken, My Love was pretty great and I love this new song.
    Yeah Awaken, My Love was fun ... but that's because it borrowed so much from the future funk / soul sound that a lot of other people were already utilizing. I feel like Glover adds nothing original musically. Oh well. Everyone else seems to dig him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really hope this song resonates with my fellow Americans; it truly is America, no doubt about it.

"Yes, everyone seems to be asleep"