Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Deafheaven

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Deafheaven

Didn't see a thread for them yet. I know there's a few fans here. Sunbather is by far one of my favorite albums of 2013.

They just announced dates for early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafheaven's Facebook
    February/March 2014: We will be directly supporting Between the Buried and Me in the US and Canada along with Intronaut and The Kindred.

02/20 West Springfield, VA Empire
    02/21 Huntington, NY Paramount Theater
    02/22 Clifton Park, NY Upstate Concert Hall
    02/23 Boston, MA Royale Nightclub
    02/24 Burlington, VT Higher Ground
    02/26 Montreal, QC Corona Theater
    02/27 Quebec City, QC Imperial De Quebec
    02/28 Toronto, ON Phoenix Concert Theatre
    03/01 London, ON London Music Hall
    03/02 Syracuse, NY Lost Horizon
    03/04 Grand Rapids, MI Intersection
    03/05 Palatine, IL Durty Nellie's
    03/06 Milwaukee, WI The Rave
    03/07 Lawrence, KS Granada Theatre
    03/08 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room
    03/10 Reno, NV The Knitting Factory
    03/11 Oakland, CA Oakland Metro
    03/12 Pomona, CA Glasshouse
    03/14 Lubbock, TX Jake's Sports Café
    03/15 San Antonio, TX White Rabbit
    03/16 Grand Prairie, TX Quiktrip Park
    03/18 Sauget, IL Pop's
    03/20 Ybor City, FL The Ritz
    03/21 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Revolution
    03/22 Athens, GA 40 Watt
    03/23 Charlotte, NC Tremont Music Hal
    Last edited by Soma; 12-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    One of my favorite albums of ALL TIME and favorite bands. I've mentioned to George and Kerry frequently that the lack of a Vancouver date is most troubling lol (they didn't have a choice since it's technically BTBAM's tour).

One of the best live bands ever, it's amazing how far they've come since I first saw them in Seattle at the Fun House...a venue with a max capacity of, I shit you not, 100 people.

Pics I took of the first show.

Sadly, I forgot my camera for their show in Seattle a few months back. More than a little obsessed with this band.

Pretty sure I posted this elsewhere, but a full recent set:

'Sunbather' live is probably the greatest thing I've seen in a while...17:00 to 20:00 or so is my jam.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 06-23-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Definitely one of my favorite bands. Sunbather is for certain one of my top 2 albums this year. They really have come a long way. I saw them a few years ago opening for someone else and they were underwhelming live, IMO. But each time I have seen them since they have gotten better and better, especially since the release of Sunbather. The SF homecoming show this year was incredible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw them live with Marriages over the summer, great stuff.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I find them incredibly boring.

To each their own, I'm not trying to start a thread war. I checked them out earlier this year. I was underwhelmed after all the hype I'd heard. I've got a huge interest in shoegazing and a mild interest/amusement in black metal, so maybe my expectations were unreasonably high. That "Sunbather" album that is supposed to be their masterpiece just left little to no impression on me after about a half-dozen listens.
    This ain't the Manson thread...you're more likely to find people in here that are a little more mature and grounded when it comes to differing opinions lol. No nut-hangers up in here. I mean, don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite bands but to each their own haha.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I love sunbather. I found it really interesting and engaging and I don't listen to black metal usually.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The vocals remind me more of something from a screamo band than a black metal band, but I'm used to hearing that type of vocal so it slots in pretty well for me.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I regret missing them when they opened for Boris but I got to see them in August at a headlining show and it was great!

I have to say Sunbather is probably one of my favorite albums this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like deafheaven. But I think sunbather was probably the most overrated album in 2013.
    Many people were stating how they are so innovative and evolutionary.
    If you think they are the first band to mix black metal/postrock and shoegaze, you are mistaking. Check out the first two Altar of Plagues records (mammal and white tomb).
    Even wolves in the throne room? Agalloch? panopticon? Fall of Rauros?
    It just seems like deafheaven took pages from other bands for this record. Even the one part sounded like they copped straight from a godspeed you black emperor record. I am sorta over the whole blackmetal/post rock thing. Its way too trendy now. And deafheaven is the poster boy band that appealed to non metal listeners(partly because of the over-hyping from places like pitchfork.) But, when I first got the record. I had such high expectation because of all I heard about it, but I was sorta disappointed. I don't blame the band, I blame the media. I thought I was going to be blown away, and I just was not. It felt like I heard the album before, Did not sound new or fresh to me. Maybe because I am a metal and post rock fan. I don't know. Its just funny when you know people who HATE metal but live by every word printed by pitchfork come up to you and tell you that deafheaven are one of their new favorite bands. Its just funny..
    To add I do find them to be more complete then Liturgy (even though both bands are incredibly similar).
    I have seen them live a couple times. I thought they were ok. But it didnt feel like they separated themselves from other black metal/post rock bands.

With that being said, they are for sure a good band. I am just not to sure about all the hype. I just went off on a tangent, I did not mean to start a war. Just expressing my opinion and giving my perspective. I am sure some who are clicking on this thread wont agree.
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 03-26-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I agree with that. I gave the album several spins and it never made its mark.
    They're better than Liturgy, who I think are flat out awful.
    Also, I knew that cover looked familiar.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    All this thread makes me do is want to listen to Sunbather again which (to me) is the best metal or aggressive style of music album that I've heard in the last decade.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think paying attention to the hype an album gets can ruin the experience of an album for someone. What would your opinion of this album be if Pitchfork had never reviewed it and you stumbled upon it from some random blog? Or not even just Sunbather, but any album.

Personally, I love the album. I had enjoyed Deafheaven since their demo, but I always kind of regarded them as second-tier compared to bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Altar of Plagues or Alcest. This album felt like a breath of fresh air. It's definitely not an innovative record, but does that even matter? They've taken what these other "black metal/post-rock/shoegaze" type bands were doing and did it better, in my opinion of course. I feel like there is more going on on this album than just post-rock noodling and black metal blast beats. I hear a little bit of Envy in there, a little bit of the Smiths...fuck, even a little bit of U2. Combine all of that with lyrics that I can relate to and you have an album that I love. I'm actually glad they have found some success. They seem to be pretty level headed about it and seem pretty thankful.

Anyway, I've seen them live a handful of times as well, and admittedly the first few times I saw them they were just not good at all. To their credit, they've definitely stepped it up. They've gotten a lot better than most of their contemporaries. I think the best "black metal/post-rock" band I've seen is Ash Borer though. Just pure adrenaline.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    I like deafheaven. But I think sunbather was probably the most overrated album in 2013.
    Many people were stating how they are so innovative and evolutionary.
    If you think they are the first band to mix black metal/postrock and shoegaze, you are mistaking. Check out the first two Altar of Plagues records (mammal and white tomb).
    Even wolves in the throne room? Agalloch? panopticon? Fall of Rauros?
    It just seems like deafheaven took pages from other bands for this record. Even the one part sounded like they copped straight from a godspeed you black emperor record. I am sorta over the whole blackmetal/post rock thing. Its way too trendy now. And deafheaven is the poster boy band that appealed to non metal listeners(partly because of the over-hyping from places like pitchfork.) But, when I first got the record. I had such high expectation because of all I heard about it, but I was sorta disappointed. I don't blame the band, I blame the media. I thought I was going to be blown away, and I just was not. It felt like I heard the album before, Did not sound new or fresh to me. Maybe because I am a metal and post rock fan. I don't know. Its just funny when you know people who HATE metal but live by every word printed by pitchfork come up to you and tell you that deafheaven are one of their new favorite bands. Its just funny..
    To add I do find them to be more complete then Liturgy (even though both bands are incredibly similar).
    I have seen them live a couple times. I thought they were ok. But it didnt feel like they separated themselves from other black metal/post rock bands.

With that being said, they are for sure a good band. I am just not to sure about all the hype. I just went off on a tangent, I did not mean to start a war. Just expressing my opinion and giving my perspective. I am sure some who are clicking on this thread wont agree.
    Valid arguments for sure! The only problem with this being that you said it yourself, it's everyone else...not George or Kerry that ever meant to blow the hype train off the tracks. They started the band out of boredom and are pretty blown away by the amount of press they've got, rest assured.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I agree with that. I gave the album several spins and it never made its mark.
    They're better than Liturgy, who I think are flat out awful.
    Also, I knew that cover looked familiar.

Holy fucking shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Alcest isnt even remotely metal anymore (I like them) they are just doing light shoegaze/dream pop.

I was really into altar of plagues. I really liked their new(last) record, but I would not consider their new record under the blackmetal/post rock field. It was more electronic influenced. Some of their vocals on their albums are so amazing. Deranged sounding, but then soft chants, almost cult like sounding. I feel like they also did a better job blending different genres then deafheaven.

Deafheaven to me has everything separated in parts instead of being blended and molded together. Which is fine....
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 03-26-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I think paying attention to the hype an album gets can ruin the experience of an album for someone. What would your opinion of this album be if Pitchfork had never reviewed it and you stumbled upon it from some random blog? Or not even just Sunbather, but any album.
    I agree with the first sentence for sure.

I actually hate pitchfork. But with that being said, If I just discovered it on a blog, hmmmm. I would have thought it was a good album certainly not revolutionary.

But that is sorta my main point, its not the band, its the crazy hype surrounding the band that bugs the shit out of me.
    Last edited by NINisamazing; 03-26-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah I loved that latest Altar of Plagues album. It's too bad they broke up. I can't say I love Alcest's new direction. It is really pleasant sounding, but it just didn't stick for me, especially the way their first few albums did.

But yeah, I get the hate of the hype train.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Full pro-shot concert.

Spoke with George....they're finally coming here so I can stop having to drive to Seattle whenever they tour nearby haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Getting by tickets for their show in Richmond. Stoked!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Talking with George, they won't be here in Vancouver for this tour they just announced due to the Sasquatch Festival in WA (radius clause prevents them from playing anywhere near)...looks like not until the fall....boourns. Did get a few free shirts sent out though, so bonus lol.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'll probably hit up the SF show with Wreck and Reference. No Pallbearer apparently. Boo to that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Finally caught these guys on the Pallbearer/Wreck and Reference tour, aaand HOLY SHIT! My jaw remained dropped for the entire walk home.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasisity View Post
    Finally caught these guys on the Pallbearer/Wreck and Reference tour, aaand HOLY SHIT! My jaw remained dropped for the entire walk home.
    They have to be SO tight at this point. Last year I saw them and it was so fucking good. They are finishing the NA leg of their tour here in 2 days, but I can't go.

I'm excited to hear the new song they are going to record for Adult Swim.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Oh shit, I forgot about this thread.

Yeah Sunbather still kicks ass and they're incredible live. That Pallbearer / Wreck and Reference tour was really good.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Pro shot video of their new song:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    These Pitchfork videos don't do it justice either. They've got a pretty poor mix on them. I was there in person and this track is an absolute banger. One of the best sets of the weekend. Certainly a huge contrast from the first time I saw them, where they played to maybe 15 people.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just bought my tickets to see these with Chelsea Wolfe supporting next month in Manchester. I cannot wait to see them both for the first time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listening to "roads to judah" which i got today on clear vinyl. i think i actually like it better than sunbather...but i'm not sure yet.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    listening to "roads to judah" which i got today on clear vinyl. i think i actually like it better than sunbather...but i'm not sure yet.
    Funny, I just picked up Roads To Judah yesterday as well. Been meaning to pick it up forever, and not sure what took me so long. The packing is so simplistic, but godamn it if it isn't still a beautifully packaged LP with the ultra clear disc and everything. I think I'll always prefer Sunbather over RTJ, but the two are pretty different albums in my eyes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    New song, studio version. Way better than the live version posted a few weeks ago.