Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Deafheaven

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    that's a solid bill. Warsaw in Brooklyn seems very small for this. Oh well, that March Madness time anyway so I won't be going.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Bought my ticket for the Underground in Charlotte, NC. $24.37. Cheap!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Man, I hardly ever revisit New Bermuda anymore. Like I posted last year, I think the ambient pieces in Sunbather make it a more complete listen and enjoyable record for me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I like em both equally.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So....I just got back! FANTASTIC show with high energy. So much motion and fury. George's frantic on stage presence and vocals were tight. He said he had a sore throat but damn, his vocal work sounded pretty spot on to the album's quality! I bought a long sleeve tour shirt with cities on the back. Has a bunch of demons, flames, ghosts, skulls and people on it. Pretty fucking cool. I got some photos (a little blurred due to zooming in) and a lot of video snippets on my snapchat haha. I REALLY loved hearing my favorite song (Come Back) live too. Loved it!

Here's some photos:

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I saw the LA show with Health... it was interesting... people would rush the mic and sing a line and sound exactly like the lead singer... like, so much like him that if I wasn't looking at the stage I wouldn't have noticed that it was a different singer (outside of the sound of the crowd going nuts). I also wonder about their clean guitar tone live... it sounded weird to me,... minor complaints, but hey...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I really want to catch this tour (Emma Ruth Rundle is a treasure) but the closest date is three hours away. Worth the drive?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes. Definitely worth a drive

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    3 hours away is a bit far but if you really want to see the band then go for it @Archive_Reports you won't regret it!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    For those who want to relive this tour again:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i get the growls of bands like meshuggah, LoG, etc...but this i can't wrap my head around.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    i get the growls of bands like meshuggah, LoG, etc...but this i can't wrap my head around.
    it's about juxtaposition. as someone who makes/listens to a lot of music that's filled with dichotomy, i can't begin to tell you how pleasing it is to be able to combine something beautiful with something loud/harsh and have it sound good. i think that's the key to deafheaven. they figured out a way to balance pretty and loud in a way few other bands have (i mean, deftones, but that's a completely different genre).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Cool little video. He mentions after this spring's tour they plan to hopefully start writing new music this summer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've never listened to these lads before, so I threw on New Bermuda. All good so far, but especially the 2nd half of Luna. That part is wonderful.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I've never listened to these lads before, so I threw on New Bermuda. All good so far, but especially the 2nd half of Luna. That part is wonderful.
    They're a great band. Check out Sunbather!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have had a copy of sunbather on my hd for ages and I've never given it a go. Must rectify that after hearing New Bermuda a couple of times. The black metal bits sort of remind me of a tighter version of Enslaved, and the softer parts are very Palms at times. Have to say though, the live videos looked shit. The performances are very tight, but apart from the frontman there is no energy to it at all. Obviously great players but no personality in a live setting. Now in fairness, that is from youtube videos and maybe it is transcendent stuff live but it looks awful. I've seen Enslaved before and they had the same problem. No personality live regardless of how brilliant their recorded output sounded.

And just to avoid the full block of text and inevitable TLDR; a paragraph. I don't think there is anything wrong with the fact they look like they would be mock live. Some things are better enjoyed on the headphones anyway. I'll come back after I've listened to Sunbather.

BTW, does anybody else hear any Enslaved in there? Also, I am mostly unfamiliar with USBM other than Nachtmystium, so maybe there are some other things I'm missing?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    I have had a copy of sunbather on my hd for ages and I've never given it a go. Must rectify that after hearing New Bermuda a couple of times. The black metal bits sort of remind me of a tighter version of Enslaved, and the softer parts are very Palms at times. Have to say though, the live videos looked shit. The performances are very tight, but apart from the frontman there is no energy to it at all. Obviously great players but no personality in a live setting. Now in fairness, that is from youtube videos and maybe it is transcendent stuff live but it looks awful. I've seen Enslaved before and they had the same problem. No personality live regardless of how brilliant their recorded output sounded.

And just to avoid the full block of text and inevitable TLDR; a paragraph. I don't think there is anything wrong with the fact they look like they would be mock live. Some things are better enjoyed on the headphones anyway. I'll come back after I've listened to Sunbather.

BTW, does anybody else hear any Enslaved in there? Also, I am mostly unfamiliar with USBM other than Nachtmystium, so maybe there are some other things I'm missing?
    You nailed it with the Enslaved and Palms influences. As for live, I guess it depends? I've seen them 4 times going back to 2011 (if I recall correctly I have pics on the first page of this thread?) and George has always been the one with the most energy. The other guys usually have no problems just doing their thing without as much manic energy. Either way, glad you dig it!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

New song!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not sure how I feel about the song as a whole, but I adore the production.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Their music is just pleasant and makes me happy. Weird saying that, but that's what it is.
    Last edited by Maximilian; 04-17-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I dig it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to sunbather yesterday (for the first time in over a year) while unpacking at my new apartment. i gave my vinyl copy to my tattoo artist as a tip recently because i never listened to it, but i'm kind of regretting that.

this new song, though? this is amazing. better than everything on "new bermuda" combined (i really did not like that album).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    listened to sunbather yesterday (for the first time in over a year) while unpacking at my new apartment. i gave my vinyl copy to my tattoo artist as a tip recently because i never listened to it, but i'm kind of regretting that.

this new song, though? this is amazing. better than everything on "new bermuda" combined (i really did not like that album).
    Deafheaven’s hello merch store has Sunbather for $22.99 I think (ordered it last year). I ordered it after invigoration when I seen them live last year. Good price and was the “piss yellow “ and “baby pink” variant.

Not surprised for the dislike of New Bermuda but I never understood why people didn’t like it as much. I think it’s top notch. As good as any other songs in their catalog, to me anyways.

I easily would assume that this new song is a single for the next album. Doubt they’d just post this out of nowhere as a solo track haha.

Found info:

This track is from the band’s new album “Ordinary Corrupt Human Love,” which is reportedly set to be released on July 13.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-17-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Cover and tracklist out there too

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Cover and tracklist out there too
    http://exclaim.ca/music/article/deaf...epic_honeycomb

I don't like the cover art at all.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    that's like shitty 90s indie band 101 album art. woof. still not as bad as the cover of new bermuda, though

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The production is amazing on the new track. Can we retroactively remaster all their older stuff?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's like shitty 90s indie band 101 album art. woof. still not as bad as the cover of new bermuda, though
    What do you have against New Bermuda? I dug Sunbather, but NB was a big step up.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Preorders up.

Known for their transcendent live show, Deafheaven announce tour dates in support of Ordinary Corrupt Human Love. The 30-date run begins July 11 in Phoenix, AZ at Crescent Ballroom and goes through August 18 in Los Angeles, CA at The Wiltern. Tickets are on sale Friday, April 20.

JUL 11 Phoenix, AZ @ Crescent Ballroom
    JUL 13 Dallas, TX @ Gas Monkey
    JUL 14 Austin, TX @ The Mohawk
    JUL 15 Houston, TX @ White Oak Music Hall
    JUL 17 Orlando, FL @ The Social
    JUL 18 Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
    JUL 19 Carrboro, NC @ Cat’s Cradle
    JUL 20 Richmond, VA @ The Broadberry
    JUL 21 Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
    JUL 22 Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
    JUL 24 Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel
    JUL 25 Boston, MA @ Royale
    JUL 26 Montreal, QC @ Theatre Fairmount
    JUL 27 Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
    JUL 28 Detroit, MI @ El Club
    JUL 30 Chicago, IL @ Metro *
    JUL 31 Milwaukee, WI @ Turner Hall
    AUG 01 Minneapolis, MN @ Cedar Cultural Center
    AUG 03 St. Louis, MO @ The Ready Room
    AUG 04 Lawrence, KS @ The Granada
    AUG 05 Denver, CO @ The Oriental Theater
    AUG 07 Salt Lake City, UT @ Metro Music Hall
    AUG 08 Boise, ID @ Neurolux
    AUG 10 Seattle, WA @ The Neptune Theatre
    AUG 11 Vancouver, BC @ The Imperial
    AUG 12 Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom
    AUG 14 San Francisco, CA @ August Hall
    AUG 17 San Diego, CA @ Brick By Brick
    AUG 18 Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern
    All Dates with Drab Majesty & Uniform
    *also w. MONO

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Looks like I’m going to the Carrboro show. Ahhhhhh! Also get to see Drab Majesty!

I also pre-ordered the opaque pink vinyl edition of the album!
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.