Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Prodigy

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The Prodigy

The Prodigy have been working on a new album since 2010 and so far they've played 4 new songs live that they have been working on. Unfortunately there is no release date yet. The new album is going to be called: How To Steal A Jetfighter.

Demo version of Jetfighter:

Rockweiler:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16409815

I’m glad they decided not to go the dub step route and do their own thing.

Sounds like it's gonna be intense as fuck, I can't wait it for it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just a heads up...

Yes.. Rockweiler, Jetfighter, and Dogbite were real songs played live

BUT...
    these videos contain fan remakes/re-edits of the live performances.

AWOL video is a complete fan recreation with some bits/samples from live performance
    same with that Dogbite video, complete fan recreation

Jetfighter and Rockweiler are re-edits from live shows.

The Prodigy are literally my favorite band ever, so I know a lot of info if you need to know anything about their new album or any of their releases. Been listening to them since the 4th grade. I'm part of the bigger Prodigy fan communities, such as www.brainkiller.it, www.theprodigyfanboy.com, www.theprodigy.ru, etc., and these have been making the rounds. A lot of fans are also producers and try to recreate the newer jams/song they play live. Sadly, without proper tagging, they get passed along and confused as actual songs. They take bits from all of these recorded performances or simply try to recreate by ear what they hear.

There was a recent live show from Exit Festival with most of their set broadcasted online except for the last 2-3 tracks.
    Rockweiler was the newest track played and the most promising... sounds pretty complete with Maxim and Keith on the mic.
    While the rest were more like jams/ideas being tested out... next up as most promising was Jetfighter, samples a System Of Down track and has Keith reusing some old live lyrics from back in the day. AWOL is another Keith led track and has been played for a little bit now and actually had 2 different versions... a more rocky one which is what they usually play as well as a more electro beat one. They have this new distorted bass beat jam simply titled Beats from the setlists that sounds raw and promising. Dogbite used to be in the latest sets, but has since been dropped... it had two versions as well, one with dubstep wobbles and one without with dueling vocals from Maxim and Keith. And another track played once was called The Day featuring vocals from Martina Topley-Bird. But everything sounds more like works in progress. Gonna hunt down the videos of the actual tracks being played for y'all.

But yes, the album is tentatively titled How To Steal A Jetfighter and is suppose to come out sometime in 2014.
    Though the title was announced a couple of years ago and short jams have been making their ways into the sets.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-24-2013 at 03:37 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rockweiler (Urban Art Forms, Graz, Austria -7.06.2013)

AWOL (Usual version)

AWOL (Bratislava version)
    <---this mix only played once

Jetfighter

Dogbite
    (Live Moscow)

Beats
    (Rock Am Ring 2013)

The Day Is My Enemy
    (Brixton Academy 12/18/12

The Exit Festival online broadcast was pretty damn good quality and you got to hear new stuff like Jetfighter, AWOL, Rockweiler, and Beats in great quality, but the recordings of the show keep getting pulled down since apparently The Prodigy's set wasn't suppose to be broadcasted. So whenever people post the recording on YouTube, it gets taken right down. Luckily, I was able to grab a recording. If anyone is interested in getting it, PM me and I can shoot you a link through my Dropbox. I have a copy of the performance in 320kbps with the opening track Voodoo People missing (taper missed first track) and toward the end of the set Their Law, Hyperspeed, and Out Of Space are missing due to The Prodigy starting later than planned and the live streaming was cut off after Gun Reprise interlude. But at least you get to hear the new stuff in good quality plus reworked tracks like Thunder Dub and Spitfast (aka Spitfire remixed)

Thunder Dub

Spitfast

Gun Reprise is actually a cut track from the Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned era. On the hidden AONO Demo reel on the Their Law DVD, it originally was the opening part of the track Shoot Down until it was separated on its own. This was played live only once in Osaka back in 2004 and now back in the live sets.)

Like I said, I'm full with a ton of useless Prodigy trivia/info

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I grew up on these guys.

I feel that FOTL was their Black Album. In retrospect it was an excellent album but a beginning of the end as far as certain aspects of their sound went.

I guess I am one of those MFJG guys that thinks that album was perfection and nothing else has really matched it.

A few of the new songs are sounding pretty cool. I really prefer when they stick to a dance floor sound as opposed to a rock/pop format.

I always enjoyed these

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I started to listen The Prodigy back in '93-94 going back to their first album "Experience."
    I love all of their albums, especially since each is so different from each other style-wise.
    But "The Fat Of The Land" is actually my favorite, I fucking love that album... it's just so powerful.
    And that's coming from a fan since pretty much the beginning.
    Sure, I played it to death after all of these years... but that album truly inspired me to become an electronic music producer.
    Don't get me wrong, I love "Music For The Jilted Generation," but the one thing that bothers me is the length of some tracks on it.
    I prefer the single or live edits Liam did, make the tracks more powerful and direct.
    If there was a version of "Jilted" with edited down versions, then yeah it could probably take the top spot from "The Fat Of The Land."
    I love "Break And Enter (2005 Live Edit)" from the bonus of the re-release "More Music From The Jilted Generation."
    My least favorite album would have to be "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned."
    It's not that it is a bad album... just not as good as their other albums. It's 50/50... great tracks and filler.
    I think if they waited a little longer to release it, it could have been a much more solid album because a lot of the tracks that were reworked after they started touring again were so much better than the album mixes. For example, "Spitfire ('05 Version)" on the single or "Under My Wheels (Remix)" on the bonus disc to "Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005" are 100x better than the album versions. Also, the double disc version of the "Their Law" is a great collection for any fan. The first disc is, of course, the collected singles, but includes new 2005 mixes of "Their Law" and "Voodoo People" along with the better versions of "Spitfire" and "Poison ('95 EQ)" and the full version of "One Love." Plus the bonus disc has some gems are there, including the cut tracks "Razor and "Back 2 Skool" from "AONO," "Molotov Bitch" from the "Firestarter" single, a faster mix of the Tom Morello collab track "No Man Army," along with Prodigy's remix of the Chemical Brothers remix of "Voodoo People" titled "Voodoo Beats," and a bunch of other goodies. Definitely a great collection of old and new.
    And I love "Invaders Must Die," it was a great return to form energy-wise after "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned."
    "Invaders Must Die" is actually my second favorite album followed by "Jilted," then "Experience," and "AONO" closing it out.
    But like I said, I can listen to all of their albums... and don't get me going on their b-sides... they got great albums... and even greater b-sides.
    Some of these tracks are definitive Prodigy tracks, but not actually on any album.
    For example, "Rhythm Of Life" and "We Eat Rhythm" from the "Jilted" era...
    "The Big Gundown" (known as "Comanche" live) and "Mescaline" from "Invaders Must Die" era.
    There a ton of non-albums tracks, too many to go on and list. You just gotta go digging to find them.

They just played in Austria at the Fridge Festival...

Skip to a little after 5 minute mark to hear the new track "Jetfighter."

Live At Brixton Academy '97 (chunk of show taken from "Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005" DVD)

Skip to 9:10 to hear "Voodoo Beats"

Live At Rock Am Ring 2009 [full concert]

The "Breathe Dubstep" jam is pretty cool and they also played "Comanche" aka "The Big Gundown" here.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The "World's On Fire" Live CD/DVD or CD/Blu-ray release was awesome... showcasing the first edition of their own Warrior's Dance Festival that they put on at Milton Keynes Bowl in the UK. It comes with the show along with bunch of vids taken during the "Invaders Tour."

Teaser...

I actually won a contest and me and my girl got to go to The Lodge studio in NYC for a private screening of the film with a small group of bloggers and journalists. It was pretty cool, the place was so upscale and plush. All comfy couches and decorative. Would love to mix and master an album there.

Here's a new rockier livemix that they did of the track "Colours" for it...

Their YouTube channel is filled with a bunch of funny behind the scenes stuff and performances while on tour...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProdigyChannel/videos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Prodigy

I recently re-discovered The Prodigy a while back. I bought "The Fat Of The Land" when it came out in 1997, but two years later it mysteriously vanished from my collection. But recently, I re-bought it as well as their previous two albums "Experience" and "Music For The Jilted Generation" (the latter is my favorite of their work). What makes them so great is that you don't need to be a fan of techno to like them. So many of their songs are such fun to listen to, and Liam is very creative with his sampling skills. You cannot go wrong with classic tunes like:

Out of Space
    Charly
    Everybody In The Place
    Fire
    One Love
    No Good (Start The Dance)
    Voodoo People
    Poison
    Break And Enter
    Firestarter
    Smack My Bitch Up
    Funky Shit
    and Baby's Got A Temper

And also....KEITH FLINT!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The prodigy rules. Check out their most recent album, invaders must die, if you haven't already. Very much a return to form after their previous album, which is good, but not nearly as great as their other albums.

I've also heard they've been working on a new album for a while so I'm looking forward to that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I remember back in 97 when i got my first CD player, the first 3 CDs i bought were...
    1 the fat of the land
    2 311 (selftitled, flame me if you want)
    3 downward spiral

So yea, me and these guys go way back. Breathe, Poison, Mindfields and the 3 Kilos suite are some of my favorite tracks of all time. The Weather Experience is another fav.

Always wishd i had the chance to see them live, but i think the closest they have ever come to me is denver.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Lol my first 2 CDs were the fat of the land and the spawn soundtrack

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    funny, I had the exact same experience, recently went back to fat of the land, fun record, the nineties, good times...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuya Azuma View Post
    "Music For The Jilted Generation" (my favorite of their work).
    What makes them so great is that you don't need to be a fan of techno to like them.
    Seconded, for both parts.
    Prodigy was my favourite artist until I discovered Nine Inch Nails. The variety, depth and imagination is astonishing, and I have no idea how Liam creates 99% of their sounds.
    Also got to love the dancing in their early videos, the warmup phase of my exercise routine is based solely on that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    huge fan of The Prodigy... they are my favorite group of all time actually... sorry NIN :P
    love The Fat Of The Land... Jilted and Experience are great... thought Invaders Must Die was a return to form after the not so great Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned... don't get me wrong Always Outnumbered is better than most of the other crap out there, just not as good compared to Prodigy standards

they are working on a new album with the working title "How To Steal A Jet Fighter"
    a few new tracks/ideas that have been played "Rockweiler," "Jetfighter," "AWOL," & "Dogbite"
    but Liam from the band said that they don't if they'll actually make it to the album, just a process they have to go through while writing and testing out ideas.
    supposedly we may get the album possibly at the end of this year... but i'm guessing more like early 2015

some vids of new stuff...

from official YouTube, includes new idea...

"Rockweiler"

"Jetfighter"

"AWOL"

"Dogbite"

"New Beats"

\
    Official live/tour doc video with "Hyperspeed" live recently uploaded on their official YouTube page (lots of great behind the scenes stuff)...

i have a recording of their performance from the 2013 Exit Festival taken from the online stream if anyone is interested, get to hear the new stuff in good quality. PM me for a copy.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    love 'em, too. Do you happen to know of any live performances/concerts in decent quality on youtube?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Lol my first 2 CDs were the fat of the land and the spawn soundtrack
    Awesome man, Spawn was like my 9th or 10th i cant remember. My 4th was the 1st MTV Amp comp, and 5th was Antichrist Superstar I know for a fact because i wrote a review for it for my Mass Media class my junior year in high school.

Shit this thread is taking me waaaaay back, good times guys thanks for this

But back on track, on the topic, id like to hear some high quality ROIOs if, ya kno, anybody might know where to find something of the sort.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Awesome man, Spawn was like my 9th or 10th i cant remember. My 4th was the 1st MTV Amp comp, and 5th was Antichrist Superstar I know for a fact because i wrote a review for it for my Mass Media class my junior year in high school.

Shit this thread is taking me waaaaay back, good times guys thanks for this

But back on track, on the topic, id like to hear some high quality ROIOs if, ya kno, anybody might know where to find something of the sort.
    ROIOs?
    What does that stand for?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    love 'em, too. Do you happen to know of any live performances/concerts in decent quality on youtube?
    hell yeah...

here's the best on YouTube...

Live At Rock Am Ring 2009 [Full concert 720p)

Live At Brixton Academy [Most of the show that was released on Their Law DVD]

Live At Phoenix Festival 1996 [Full Show]

Live At Lowlands 2005 [Full Show]

Live From Moscow's Red Square 1997 [not full show, but fuck me anywhere between 150,000-400,000 people came out to this gig that they shut down the whole square]

Live At Athens 1995 [Full Show w/ lots of live only rarities including Vogue, We Eat Rhythm, Rock N' Roll, & The '95 Vibe a.k.a. their remix of CJ Bolland's remix of No Good]

You should pick up their live CD/DVD or CD/Blu-Ray called "World's On Fire," it's a great capture of their energetic performance. The guys are in their 40's, but can still fucking rock it hard live. Lots of cool new mixes of tracks live... like Thunder Dub, that new version is pure evil! "World's On Fire" was recorded from their own festival that they put together, the first edition of WARRIOR'S DANCE FESTIVAL which was held in the UK. they've put on more editions in Japan, Australia, Serbia, Brixton... would love for them to bring it to the States.

here's a teaser

more footage from it, look at the size of that fucking crowd!
    Last edited by neorev; 02-23-2014 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    these next 3 videos are from the official Prodigy YouTube page, they always post behind the scenes/live videos throughout their tour...

Thunder Dub [new angry dub/rock live mix]

Spitfast [new remix of Spitfire performed live... live drum n' bass meets dubstep meets rock]

Comanche a.k.a. The Big Gundown [you can find The Big Gundown on the Lost Beats EP that came with the Invaders Must Die boxset]

i just fucking love this new mix of Thunder that they play live, it's on the World's On Fire release...

Thunder Dub [Live At Pinkpop 2010]

a new live version of Colours...
    Last edited by neorev; 02-23-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    anything you need to know about The Prodigy, i'm your guy... i've literally been a fan since '93, been following 'em for over 20 years.
    have all of their music, official and rare, know about their huge back catalog of unreleased tunes [this is the shit that truly guts me, the amount of awesome stuff they don't release].

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    speaking of unreleased stuff...

"Warning," a track written right around the release of Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned that Liam wished he had written in time to include on the album featuring Keith Flint on vocals. it was played live for a while. it was released on the Smoking Aces movie soundtrack without vocals as "First Warning." unfortunately not as good without the vocals, which they released it with Keith on it. hopefully we'll get an anniversary/expanded edition like we got with Experience and Music For The Jilted Generation albums with extra tunes.

"First Warning" from Smoking Aces Soundtrack...

"Shadow," another unreleased track from this era used in the game Project Gotham Racing 4...

those of you that know the album Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned... well there was several tracks that were written during 2001-2002, which would have been the original version of Always Outnumbered that was binned. If you know the track Baby's Got A Temper... that was meant to be the lead single. But it received some negative press and Liam binned what he had written to start all over. Always Outnumbered wouldn't finally be released until 2004. here's some of that cut material...

let's start off with the official Baby's Got A Temper video...

Trigger (Live At Coachella 2002) [originally with Maxim & Keith live on vocals, would be completely reworked and feature Liam & Noel Gallagher of Oasis and renamed "Shoot Down" on the official album. I think this original version is much better than what was released]

Nuclear (Live At Coachella 2002) [Maxim would reuse the hook of this song in the song "More Girls," a remix of "Girls"]

Little Goblin (Live at Coachella 2002) [a live, eerie little jam]

Back 2 Skool [this was released on the bonus disc version of Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005 compilation... 2nd disc included lots of goodies]

Razor [this was released on the bonus disc version of Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005 compilation... 2nd disc included lots of goodies]

Baby's Got A Temper and Razor were originally tracks from Keith Flint's solo band FLINT that Liam reworked into Prodigy tracks. FLINT recorded an entire album called "Device 1" that was never released, which I have as well. I actually dug FLINT's album.

Razor & secret track NNNN (a.k.a. original Baby's Got A Temper as FLINT)

Aim 4

Hell Yeah

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    another banging non-album track is Voodoo Beats available on the bonus disc of Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005...
    this baby hits so hard live with Maxim doing his MC thang over it as seen from this performance at Brixton Academy in 1997...

Voodoo Beats is The Prodigy remixing The Chemical Brothers' remix of The Prodigy's track Voodoo People...

The Prodigy - Voodoo People
    [original version taken from Music For The Jilted Generation]

which The Chemical Brothers turned into...

The Prodigy - Voodoo People (The Chemical Brothers Remix)
    [also known as The Dust Brothers Remix before Chems changed their name... taken from Voodoo People single, also available on More Music For The Jilted Generation]

and then The Prodigy turned that into...

The Prodigy - Voodoo Beats
    [taken from Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thought there was already a Prodigy thread, but maybe I'm just remembering the old board.

I've been down with them since FOTL and I'll stick with them til they retire. That new album is way overdue, but they're making tons of good money just doing all these shows, so I don't blame them.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yeah I Started a prodigy thread about 3 months ago I say delete it or merge it this one. This thread has more activity in it.
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...56-The-Prodigy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Fat Of The Land era is definitely my favorite, so many great b-sides.

Love One Man Army (with Tom Morello from RATM) off the Spawn Soundtrack... Maxim's vocal on that track is killer.
    There's an instrumental version of One Man Army called No Man Army with extra sounds featured on the Smack My Bitch Up single.

But on Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005 bonus disc they included No Man Army [Edit], which is actually slightly faster BPM-wise. Something as minor as a few BPMs faster really adds to the track and makes it better. Though I like One Man Army more with Maxim's vocals, I really dig the faster version from the Their Law compilation. If you watch the movie Spawn, the scene with One Man Army actually uses the faster version of the track but with Maxim's vocals over it. Man, I really wished we got that version because you get the best of both worlds: Maxim's rhymes and the faster BPM.

One Man Army [taken from Spawn Soundtrack]

No Man Army (Edit) [faster version from Their Law compilation]

some more great non-album tracks from The Fat Of The Land era...

Molotov Bitch [taken from the Firestarter single, also available on the bonus disc to Their Law compilation]

The Trick [taken from the Breathe single]

Ghost Town [The Prodigy cover The Specials, there's actually 2 slightly different versions of this song... one where the faster part comes in a little quicker and lasts longer. taken from NME & War Child Presents 1 Love charity album & ID08 Independents Day 08, a compilation in support of independent music]

Ghost Town was suppose to be part of The Fat Of The Land, but was left off because the trip hop artist Tricky released his own cover of the song around the same time. Also, the track Climbatize was originally structured differently and was suppose to feature Perry Farrell on vocals. He wanted The Prodigy to perform on his festival at the time but they couldn't commit due to conflicts in their schedule and needing to finish the album in time for the label. So he pretty much said, if you can't do the festival I can't do the song... kinda dick-ish. There was also another track never heard called Take Me On, which featured vocals from Skin of Skunk Anansie.

Here's the original beta version of the track Serial Thrilla when it was originally called Lyrical Terrorist performed live at Brixton in 1996...

Lyrical Terrorist [Live At Brixton '96]

Smack My Bitch Up [Live At Pinkpop '96 - early version with different bridge before they got Shahin Badar to do her legendary vocal bridge]
    Last edited by neorev; 02-23-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Radio One hosted Legends Week back in 2005 where they had different artists/bands come to the Maida Vale studios to perform, which was broadcasted on the radio. They invited The Prodigy out and they put together this special set with the full live band and guests in the studio. These are pretty amazing and unique versions of classic Prodigy songs performed live.

They performed Voodoo People, Spitfire, Poison [Poison is with a beatboxer/flutist... yes, he plays the flute and beatboxes at the same time!], and a crazy mash up of Firestarter/Smack My Bitch Up [features Shahin Badar with them to perform her amazing vocal in the bridge of Smack My Bitch Up live!]. They also performed Hotride, but this was never broadcasted on the radio.

This is definitely a special one off performance from the band. The live recordings of Voodoo People and Poison are featured on the bonus disc of More Music For The Jilted Generation. Here's hoping some day we will get the other songs with their respective album's expanded edition. 2014 is the 10 year anniversary of Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned. We got expanded versions of Experience and Jilted on their 10 year anniversaries, so fingers crossed we get on for Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned since there are lots of goodies that never officially got released from that era.

Anyway, here is the full Maida Vale performance...

THE PRODIGY - Live At Maida Vale Studio (July 7th, 2005)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This video shows how brilliant Liam is. It's one thing to find out the samples from the song and recreate it, but how Liam put all these sounds together to make an original song blows my mind.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^hell yeah, imail724! this video proves how much of an evil genius Liam Howlett is. i think it was the Rage Against The Machine sample in Smack My Bitch Up's bridgesection that completely blew my mind when watching this.^^^

the guy Jim Pavloff is pretty amazing for finding out all these samples and secrets.
    here did a couple of more Prodigy based vids...
    not as mindblowing as the Smack My Bitch Up video, but still very awesome and interesting enough to find out what makes up these tracks...

Making of Firestarter

Making Of Voodoo People
    Last edited by neorev; 02-23-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I wonder how that guy got the sample sources... it's kind of unbelievable that he just heard it and figured it out

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There are whole websites dedicated to finding and connecting samples.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    There are whole websites dedicated to finding and connecting samples.
    The guy Jim Pavloff that did those recreation videos posted above also has a section on his site dedicated to samples on Prodigy tunes...
    http://www.jimpavloff.com/esamples/prodigy.html

Not as in depth as whosampled.com