Thread: The Prodigy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rare pro footage from 1996...

Firestarter video shoot

Wolverhampton Civic Hall - Oct. 8th, 1996

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Need Some1 and this idea sound promising. I like the hiphop ideas. They remind me a lot of TNGHT.

Last edited by mfte; 12-19-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    went down a rabbit hole of youtube videos and somehow found myself watching old Prodigy interviews which resulted in me revisiting their discography for the first time in nearly 20 years. "The Fat of the Land" has really aged well and still sounds fresh (with maybe the DnB segments being the only really dated parts). I really would love to these guys live again. Anyone know if there are any plans to tour the US?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    One of the few bands Im into that ive never seen live unfortunately.

And yes, Fat of the Land still sounds awesome 20 years later.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    went down a rabbit hole of youtube videos and somehow found myself watching old Prodigy interviews which resulted in me revisiting their discography for the first time in nearly 20 years. "The Fat of the Land" has really aged well and still sounds fresh (with maybe the DnB segments being the only really dated parts). I really would love to these guys live again. Anyone know if there are any plans to tour the US?
    Sadly, they haven't done a US tour since 2009 for Invaders Must Die, which I got to see them play Roseland Ballroom in NYC before it was torn down. They toured in 2005 for Their Law greatest hits release. I saw them play the Nokia Theatre in Times Square in '05, which I believe has changed names now. But they haven't done a full on tour in years. They opened for Linkin Park on a few west coast dates in 2011, played Riot Fest 2015 in Chicago, Denver, and Toronto, and played Ultra Music Festival in Miami last year. Hoping the US gets a well deserved tour when the new album is out. They signed with BMG late last year and an announced an album is coming in 2018.

A wild story. I've been listening to The Prodigy since 1993 when I discovered them in the 4th grade. Liam Howlett literally made me want to produce. So I started dabbling with production in 1999. I've been self-releasing albums since 2009 as Neorev. I found a distribution service to get my stuff onto streaming services and in digital stores and put out my latest album called Disrupt The Scene in 2015. This time I collaborated with different rappers and vocalists from across the globe for a mix of hard electronic, hip hop, and rock. Apparently it got the attention of Liam Howlett and he contacted me through his Instagram that he posts on. He direct messaged me in 2016 saying he loved my album, calling it "heavy," and said that if I ever have any new and "dangerous" idea to send them over to him to see if it inspires him to collaborate on something together. So I've been talking to Liam ever since. We exhanged info, sent him over some CDs. Exchanged music. Really cool dude. We just BS about gear, new music, movies, etc. Got him to dig out some old gear and try out new stuff. But yeah, really f'n cool guy. Going back to 1999 when I started fucking around with production, to think 15+ years later my idol who got me into producing would be writing me to tell me he loved my album... just insane.
    Last edited by neorev; 04-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (Killbox Remix)
    available on Mind State, Vol. 1
    Last edited by neorev; 06-08-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Folks...
    If this ain't a fake, which is doesn't sound like it is...
    Then I just heard the brand new Prodigy single and apparently it's dropping on Friday.
    Guess we'll find out Friday if it's real.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Folks...
    If this ain't a fake, which is doesn't sound like it is...
    Then I just heard the brand new Prodigy single and apparently it's dropping on Friday.
    Guess we'll find out Friday if it's real.
    Hell. Yes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

This is from Anghami, which is the Middle East's Spotify...
    It has a little blurb about their track "Need Some1" being available in a few days. So things are pointing to this being legit.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hope they tour the States soon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh yes, folks, this is definitely happening! Announcement coming very, very soon. 2018 will see some new Prodigy beats! Fucking psyched!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I told you fuckers, album #7 is on the way...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlVpo7wl...d=r88bcsl7kzlo

We should have an official announcement by the end of the week!

I wish I could tell you more.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    E-mail sent out announcing "Need Some1" single premiere on Annie Mac tonight as well as video premiere on YouTube afterwards...

No Tourists album title and cover art announced on their Instagram...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Someone in the youtube comments said it sounds like something he threw together in 20 minutes, hah. I get that feeling too, but I don't give a shit. Sounds good to me.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    To me it sounds like classic Prodigy circa '97 with synthesizers replacing samples. FOTL era is hard to top tho...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Looking forward to the new record, I've been listening to the band again for the first time in ages! I'd forgotten how awesome FOTL and AONO are.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New release news for any of the acts I follow usually prompts me to revisit overlooked corners of the discography in anticipation. In this case, I discovered I totally missed the aborted launch of the Flint solo album. Has anyone seen some commentary on exactly what prompted it to get shelved after the release of 2 singles? I'm always intrigued when the plug gets pulled AFTER promos are circulated. Too bad that a) the copies currently for sale are so pricey and b) the music's not great, otherwise I'd pick one up as a novelty.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Wasn't there some controversy over the lyrical content? I know Baby's Got A Temper was initially written for Flint, and that was pretty widely panned.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    New release news for any of the acts I follow usually prompts me to revisit overlooked corners of the discography in anticipation. In this case, I discovered I totally missed the aborted launch of the Flint solo album. Has anyone seen some commentary on exactly what prompted it to get shelved after the release of 2 singles? I'm always intrigued when the plug gets pulled AFTER promos are circulated. Too bad that a) the copies currently for sale are so pricey and b) the music's not great, otherwise I'd pick one up as a novelty.
    That album is like my equivalent of that Sinbad genie movie. I swear to God I leafed through the booklet about fifteen years ago and thought "oh, it's pitchshifter plus Keith, cool"

But that can't have happened!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I just picked up “the day is my enemy” hella cheap at a fair. Haven’t dipped in much yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Really liking that single...only liked 3 or 4 off the last couple of albums so hoping for a better attempt this time round...!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    this has bugged me for years.... live @ lowlands
    what is being said at 7:05 mins

Last edited by [parasite]; 07-30-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    There was never an official reason why the Flint album was canceled. There were several years between The Fat Of The Land and Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned and I think Keith got pissed how long it was all taking. Keith had his own studio and began learning guitar and jamming. I think Keith initially brought his demos to Liam to Prodigize for the next album. But there was a growing rift between Liam and Keith during this time, which almost cause them to break up. I think Keith got really angry after Liam scrapped the original batch of tracks for AONO including the material he had gave Liam after "Baby's Got A Temper" was slammed in the press. Liam has several tracks at the time, such as "Trigger," "Nuclear," "Back 2 Skool," and the "No Souvenirs" collaboration with Massive Attack's 3D along with Prodigy versions of Flint tracks, such as "Razor" and "Vacation." "Razor" and "Back 2 Skool" were released on the bonus disc for Their Law: The Singles 1990-2005 and "Trigger" was completely reworked into "Shoot Down" for the official AONO album release. The rest of the scrapped was sadly never released.

I think Keith took his songs after Liam binned all their work and wanted to release an album of his material and tour because he expected some more years before another Prodigy record. Quite a few years had already passed and now Liam had to write a whole new album from scratch again. Flint began to do its thing. They played on some big radio broadcasts and some festival spots and started to release singles to promote the upcoming album. I don't think he expected Liam to finish the album in only a couple of years. AONO would come out in the summer of 2004, which The Prodigy would have to promo and tourig for. I think it came down to it's either Flint or The Prodigy. I do wish Device 1 got an official release as I think it is a pretty good album. Maxim got to release his own solo album during this down period called Hell's Kitchen. Liam decided to not use either Keith or Maxim on the album as he claims he wanted to make music that went back to their roots before they were so lyrically/frontman focused, but Maxim and Keith would later appear on the single mixes of "More Girls" and "Hotride (El Batori Mix).

During the very first interviews for The Day Is My Enemy, Liam and Keith revealed they almost broke up again during the 5 year break between Invaders Must Die and The Day Is My Enemy as there was a similar situation in the scrapping of new tracks to start over. Initially, the band were playing a few new bits around 2012/2013 and claimed to have a cover image while teasing the album title "How To Steal A Jet Fighter." New ideas were binned while others were reworked and the album title and cover would change. The Day Is My Enemy was also going to be called "Rebel Radio" and had a different tracklisting/track order initially. It wasn't until Liam wrote the title track "The Day Is My Enemy" closer to its release that he changed the album title.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That album is like my equivalent of that Sinbad genie movie. I swear to God I leafed through the booklet about fifteen years ago and thought "oh, it's pitchshifter plus Keith, cool"

But that can't have happened!
    Technically, it is The Prodigy live band with Keith. Jim Davies of Pitchshifter was The Prodigy's live guitarist and Kieron Pepper was their live drummer at the time. Rob Holliday played bass for Flint and would eventually become The Prodigy's live guitarist for Invaders Must Die/The Day Is My Enemy era. I always thought The Fat Of The Land era live band was the best with Gizz Butt on guitar and Kieron Pepper on drums. Both knew how to play around The Prodigy tracks to add something new and interesting live.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Maxim - Hell's Kitchen
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...36rdzbNvRanrkW

Flint - Device #1
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2OKitYmNVazSxL

I find Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned kinda starts to lose steam around 3/4 of the way in. I think if some tracks were replaced with their newer versions, such as "Spitfire ('05)," "Under My Wheels (Remix)," and "The Way It Is (Live Mix)" could have helped a little bit. I kinda wish Liam allowed Maxim to help produce as he showed his skills on his solo album, especially his track "Dominant Genes." I wish they worked more together during this time. If you took the best of AONO, the best of Flint's Device #1, the best of Maxim's Hell's Kitchen, and brought them together, I think AONO could have been one hell of an album. In the end, Liam kept Maxim and Keith off the album and didn't tour any of the new songs first. He had to rework most of the AONO tunes for them to work live, such as an alt mixes of "Wake Up Call," "Girls/More Girls" mash up, "Spitfire '05, and "The Way It Is." He probably should have tested them first so he could see what needed an extra kick. I thought the scrapped tracks "Trigger," "Nuclear," "Razor," and "Back 2 Skool" sounded great. I didn't mind "Baby's Got A Temper." If you listen to its instrumental, the production on it is amazing, but it could have done without the "Firestarter" sample though.

With the new album, what interests me is that this will be the first album Liam has done without Neil McLellan. Neil has been working with the band since Jilted. He initially helped with recording and mixing vocals on Jilted and Fat Of The Land. He began helping with production on AONO and his role grew bigger and bigger with each following album, becoming a co-producer on many tracks on Invaders Must Die and The Day Is My Enemy. No Tourists is the first time Neil was not involved and Liam produced and mixed it all by himself. So I am curious how the new one will sound. I think "Need Some1" has a fatness in the production that's been missing since Fat Of The Land. I also like Liam going back to his hip hop side as he started off as a hip hop producer. I hope we see more of that on the album.

Some folks believe we may finally get a newer version of the unreleased "No Souvenirs" collab with 3D that originally was meant to be on The Beach soundtrack until it was pulled at the 11th hour. Lyrically it could fit with the No Tourists theme and the band's reasoning behind the album title. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I never saw a release announced without a tracklist. First time they kept their tracklist secret afternoon the album announcement.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-30-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Preorders are up on the Prodigy page (a sweet clear double vinyl exclusive to their webstore is on there). There is also a double vinyl in black that is available basically everywhere and an indie record store version of a violet clear vinyl. I went with the indie version. Bullmoose is the cheapest I have found it in the states.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @renton44
    Hoping Japan's CD gets some bonus material like their last two albums.