Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Thanks asshole, I saw the thread had been bumped and thought there may have been news of new stuff...

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I just very recently discovered the track "Stone in Focus" that was cut from the CD version of SAW II. I didn't realize that the vinyl and the CD had different tracklistings. If they had to cut a song in order to make it all fit, why on earth was this the one that they chose? It's gotta be one of the coolest ambient songs he's ever done, tied with "Rhubarb."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Thanks asshole, I saw the thread had been bumped and thought there may have been news of new stuff...
    Dude, chill out. You're making a big deal out of nothing. Relax.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The dude who runs disquiet.com wrote a 33 1/3 book on Selected Ambient Works vol 2. He then wrote loads about it.

http://disquiet.com/tag/saw2for33third/

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuya Azuma View Post
    Dude, chill out. You're making a big deal out of nothing. Relax.
    Well, someone dropped their sense of humour down the toilet this morning...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this is interesting... though I'm not sure how Caustic Window is an "unreleased album"

http://pitchfork.com/news/54714-aphe...cally-on-ebay/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Could be something OTHER than the compilation album. RDJ would probably give no fucks about releasing something with the same name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a 20-year-old album that made it to the test-pressing stage; then the whole thing was called off. Only four people were known to own it, and a fifth one is the one that was given to the Discogs seller in '94 by Rephlex. Initially, the label gave the seller permission to sell it, but that's it. We Are The Music Makers (a dedicated electronic music forum) came up with the idea to begin a Kickstarter that will limit the amount of contributions to 600 at ~$16 per person. Once the target is met, Rephlex will give one-time duplication rights and a high-quality/lossless rip of the album will be produced. The record will then get put on eBay for bidding and once purchased, the proceeds will get divided as such: 1/3 to Richard/Rephlex, 1/3 to contributors (essentially, a refund/partial refund), and 1/3 to a selected charity. Once the record is sold, contributors will get their high-quality download. At this point, contributing the money is the only way to get the album, since Rephlex will not release it themselves. Some greedy collector could have purchased it and kept it for him/herself or distributed a shitty rip via the internet. This way, it's done right.

Basically, RDJ/Rephlex did not set up the sale, but gave permission to sell it and share it. The site admin thought it was only fair for the artist and label to get royalties. The tracks on the album have not been released, with the exception of a supposed two that have made their way out. The whole thing is nuts. I'm for sure going to contribute.
    Last edited by peanoot3; 04-09-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: grammar correction.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    this is interesting... though I'm not sure how Caustic Window is an "unreleased album"

"Only 500 downloads will be available"

lol, hello Pirate Bay.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    interesting but meh. im guessing there's a reason it's been unreleased in the first place..

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDrug View Post
    interesting but meh. im guessing there's a reason it's been unreleased in the first place..
    With a lot of artists, you could rightly make that assumption, but not with Aphex.

RDJ seriously seems to not give a fuck if people hear his music. I think he's gotten to a point where he just got sick of people "not getting it" and now he apparently just makes music for himself and (supposedly) shows it to his friends. There are rumors that he's just sitting on hours of mind-blowing music that will never see a release.

Also.... this is Aphex Twin. Even if it was the sloppiest thing he ever put together, it's still probably revolutionary.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do the dickstarter thing though. RDJ doesn't need crowd funding. I'm already happily giving him my money for the recent vinyl reissues.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

This isn't the same thing as the anthology of Caustic Window EPs (which I have on CD); it's a full-length double LP recorded under that name. Mike Paradinas posted a track-by-track review of the whole thing ages ago on Joyrex.com, back when I kept up with that board regularly in 2002 or whenever. It sounded at the time like it was some pretty lush stuff. Only one or two tracks have surfaced as part of multi-artist compilations ("Phlaps" is one of them). I'm excited to hear it all at last!
    Last edited by botley; 04-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Update: There's no longer a restriction on how many can contribute... which was previously 600.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Here's the latest FAQ from Joyrex http://forum.watmm.com/topic/82975-t...ckstarter-faq/

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    that's cool... I'd like it if they lowered the price. I just feel like a fool if I'm paying more than ten bucks for a digital album. I'm all about supporting the artists I love, but I cannot justify the general pricing of digital music. It's absurd already, but 16 dollars?

edit: my dumbass just noticed that the proceeds go to charity. That changes things.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Don't buy it then; buy something else from Rephlex and donate the difference to charity. I'm going to buy it.

(Of course, the idea is that the digital price WILL drop if the eBay sale of the physical copy eventually goes to a high bidder)

Going to rock my Aphex logo pendant tomorrow in support!
    Last edited by botley; 04-09-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Don't buy it then; buy something else from Rephlex and donate the difference to charity. I'm going to buy it.

(Of course, the idea is that the digital price WILL drop if the eBay sale of the physical copy eventually goes to a high bidder)
    The fact that it's charity changes the way I look at it entirely, but I'm not really making a hard-line moral stance. It's just bang-for-buck, and I like paying for physical versions of music.

That said, I think I've already bought most of the Rephlex catalog (digital included).

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Man, reading the thread on WATMM, I am reminded of how spoiled ETS is to have the community that we have. There sure are a lot of twerps over there. At the same time, I'm also glad that when we did the Uncoiled thing, it was kept in a non-public, members-only thread until the handoff was complete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Kickstarter is up... the goal has nearly been met in under 12 hours. Basically, we'll be hearing unheard RDJ in ~two months. I'm so glad to be a supporter of this. Can't wait!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...dary-record-by

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    That escalated quickly.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Backed.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Backers

$9,519
    pledged of $9,300 goal

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah, as soon as i read about it here earlier, i pledged.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's over $22,000 now with almost a month to go.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's over $22,000 now with almost a month to go.
    Backers

$30,644
    pledged of $9,300 goal

days to go

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I didn't see this thread until today and now I can't contribute to the Kickstarter =( I would have gladly payed money, but it looks like I have no choice but to wait for it to show up on TPB

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    combed...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Entire album has been posted to YouTube (check the playlist)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im loving this so far, especially the track Airflow, music here sort of sounds like a missing link between I Care Because You Do and Analogue Bubblebath 5.

This is the fist 'new' material i have heard by him in 8 years. other than some of the unidentified stuff he plays in his DJ sets.
    The quieter more emotional ambient stuff shines the most and just highlights what made him so great.

I didnt know wether any of his unreleased material was going to be THIS good, he has so much unreleased stuff, hopefully more comes out soon.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Listening to the FLAC rip now! It's very cool, but I can see why it was cancelled. Not much new ground covered, very reminiscent of his early style (which, I find, is nevertheless quite enjoyable). "Mumbly" sounds like a mash-up of stuff from all his pre-1994 aliases. "Popeye" is a banger. The phone prank calls at the end are a hoot!
    Last edited by botley; 06-16-2014 at 11:08 PM.