Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Aphex Twin

My favorite Aphex Twin releases so far have been Classics, ...I Care Because You Do., Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and Selected Ambient Works Volume II. I first discovered Aphex Twin through listening to Further Down The Spiral and then seeing the music videos of Come to Daddy and Windowlicker.

Aside from that, I still wonder when the new album's coming out, but I'm certainly not holding my breath either. Either way, I just know that I'm going to have an incessant urge to check it out if it actually comes out.

http://www.drukqs.net/

https://twitter.com/AphexTwin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphex_Twin
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    SAW2 is one of the mst amazing albums of all time; clearly inspirational for mr Reznor also.

Great news there's a new Aphex twin due out

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Really wish he would come out with another album, although he's released stuff under AFX and other names. SAWII is my favorite album of his.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    New album? Who wants to put out a new album when you can do fucking awesome shit like this???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Really wish he would come out with another album, although he's released stuff under AFX and other names. SAWII is my favorite album of his.
    Recently in an interview he announced that he has about 6 albums worth of material waiting to be released. So get ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's the article where he talks about them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...bums-interview

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'd be iffy trusting anything he's said. He's known to tell lies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I'd be iffy trusting anything he's said. He's known to tell lies.
    It's hard to know if he is telling the truth or not, but it's also hard to believe that he has been off the map for so long and to have not been working on anything. It's already been like 6 years since the AFX stuff came out, there's gotta be something new.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    how old were u when u first listened to Aphex Twin? i was 15, and it blew my friggin mind having never heard anything remotely experimental like that before. I Care Because You Do as an entrance into the crazier side of electronic music was quite the intro.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was fourteen. A friend from Scotland sent me SAWII and from then on I was hooked.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I read about him on Wikipedia when I was 15. I had my mum get me a copy of I Care Because You Do when she was in England once based purely on the "freaky" cover. Was instantly hooked. I think the next album I got was Chosen Lords, which remains one of my absolute favourite RDJ releases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got into him right around when David Firth was making those Salad Fingers flash cartoons. Firth uses a lot of Aphex music in his animations so he got me hooked. I was probably like 13 or 14. Completely revolutionized my musical self.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I was about 19. SAW1 was the first thing of his I heard and I was hooked ever since.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    *taps foot impatiently, checks watch* C'monnnn Richard! 2013's almost drawing to a close, so hurry up and announce something that will REALLY cap off this amazing year of music in style.
    Last edited by botley; 09-23-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I really like Aphex Twin, sadly their records are really expensive over here, so i just own: "Come to Daddy", "Windowlicker" and Druqks... thank god for Spotify!

Have you ever heard this cover of "Flim"? I think it's awesome!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I still wished that he'd also put out albums of whatever other best works he had. It's such a tease, especially since he claimed he'd never do it, all because he thought they were too good.

On the other hand, I still can't blame him for feeling out of it though, since he's been doing it since his late childhood and early teen years, so it's probably been like another day at the office for him ever since.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Eh, this goose is cooked. Drukqs was one big meh. Kind of like The Fragile in being an overbloated selfindulgent bland mess of a double album that has strangely become a fan cult favourite.
    Chosen Lords was more meh.
    Don't get me wrong Richard D James and I Care Because You Do are among my favourite albums of all time.
    But this guy peaked about 20 years ago, let's admit it.
    Listen to Venetian Snares instead, he puts out albums every several months.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Eh, this goose is cooked. Drukqs was one big meh. Kind of like The Fragile in being an overbloated selfindulgent bland mess of a double album that has strangely become a fan cult favourite.
    Don't get me wrong Richard D James and I Care Because You Do are among my favourite albums of all time.
    Thanks for the info. Let me go throw all those albums in the trash real quick.
    Let's admit it, how dare people have different taste than yourself?
    I'm very sorry you don't like Drukqs, but did you consider that maybe you're the one who's a little self indulgent?
    Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, but why post it in a thread dedicated to fans of the artist?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wish Richard would do more piano work.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I wish Richard would do more piano work.
    I like how the sound of the ropes being pulled kind of becomes part of the song in a weird way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Drukqs either, but Chosen Lords represents some of RDJ's best work IMO (hence my username). I love The Tuss EPs too, so there's more than enough reason for me to anticipate new Aphex/AFX material.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    DrukQs is a fantastic album and HIGHLY underrated in my opinion. To each their own I suppose. I wasn't very impressed with Chosen Lords when I first heard it, but that was a few years ago when I wasn't as into his music as I am now. A revisit is definitely in order.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I have come to appreciate "Drukqs" more and more with the years, first time i heard it: i didn't like it... now i think it's awesome!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    back in 2005, i managed to get all 11 of the analord series in the span of one week, between time in boston and portland (maine). none of them specify what speed at which they play, and i wrongly assumed that they were all 45rpm when i first started listening to them. what a fool was i...

also, does anyone else think it's weird that, in the original druqks vinyl box set, 2 of the records are 33rpm and two are 45rpm? i guess it's par for the course for richard to fuck with people, though, so i shouldn't be surprised.

had no idea there was new recorded material in the works.

edit: i got into his stuff through NIN because of what he did on further down the spiral...so 1999 (when i started listening to NIN and, then aphex twin). i quite love the majority of his catalogue.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 09-23-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, does anyone else think it's weird that, in the original druqks vinyl box set, 2 of the records are 33rpm and two are 45rpm? i guess it's par for the course for richard to fuck with people, though, so i shouldn't be surprised.
    On a side note: Vordhosbn sounds fucking amazing played at 33 1/3.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Apparently he a few albums ready to go but has been dealing with a divorce or something, he still plays loads and each set has a ton of new material some of it mindblowing, a lot of it sounds quite drum n bass-ey and rather ethereal. I like everyone else would love it in an official format though. Its been 8 years since Analord, which was great in parts but meandering in others.
    But everything he did 92-96 was so out of this world. I like the compilation Classics the most . He truly was a gifted prodigy and so young. I can definitely hear the 1970s British childrens t.v influence too.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 10-01-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aphex Twin

Been listening to Richard D. James' music a lot lately. He is simply an innovator of electronic music. "...I Care Because You Do" has been one of my favorite albums all month along with "Devious Methods" by Hive. "I Care" also has some of the BEST names for songs ever XD

The Waxen Pith
    Come On, You Slags!
    Cow Cud Is A Twin
    Next Heap With

And of course, we can't forget his arguably most well known work:Come To Daddy, from his 1997 EP of the same name. I prefer "I Care" though, because it's great to listen to when just chillin' and kickin' it back.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry X_X Didn't know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Been listening to Richard D. James' music a lot lately. He is simply an innovator of electronic music. "...I Care Because You Do" has been one of my favorite albums all month along with "Devious Methods" by Hive. "I Care" also has some of the BEST names for songs ever XD

The Waxen Pith
    Come On, You Slags!
    Cow Cud Is A Twin
    Next Heap With

And of course, we can't forget his arguably most well known work:Come To Daddy, from his 1997 EP of the same name. I prefer "I Care" though, because it's great to listen to when just chillin' and kickin' it back.