Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    anyone going to the listening previews

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    so nobody's talking about how the first song just got released!?!?!?!

If you pre-ordered the album w/ Bleep, you can download it now.

EDIT: Oops, missed the link above. Sorry, just busy having my face melted off.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Uhhh loved it.. I'm not sure if its that I've not actually listened to much Aphex lately, or that the sounds are very familiar, but new... but it really tickled my brain like when I first started listening to Warp etc.. It's a good feeling.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    does anyone know what the numbers at the end of each song title are? they can't be BPM measurements, can they?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    does anyone know what the numbers at the end of each song title are? they can't be BPM measurements, can they?
    Not sure, I tried to check just now, but I can't listen here and really check. Ableton auto-identified the tempo as 120.06
    Just from eyeing the transients, it looks a little off

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    anyone going to the listening previews
    Just got notified that I won a ticket to the Toronto listening party, kinda losing my mind right now.

Song is great to hear mastered and in HD finally!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The song reminded me to "Windowlicker" a bit, oddly it sound a bit more like Caustic Window than Aphex Twin, did like the track but i'm pretty sure he's saving the best for later...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The new track is amazing. Never expected him to actually be interested in retaining the more tangible elements of his music, but this song displays just that in crystalline form.

I also love how earnest the dude's been with the rollout of the new album; various formats and packages to purchase the album, listening events, frank interviews, and the release date not being too far from when this thing was actually announced. Considering this is the first proper Aphex album in 13 years, it's super fucking relieving he didn't go the same route Daft Punk and Arcade Fire did last year (whose hype campaigns were nerve-grating as all hell).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    New interview with Rolling Stone, too: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-smug-20140903
    This is a great interview, thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This new song sounds like it could have been released by The Tuss =P

I'm hoping this new album has a wide variety of styles and dynamics the way Come To Daddy did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Album does not disappoint!

Certainly a good range of styles and sounds. One track toward the end had me cracking up quite a bit - not that it's overly silly, but certainly a throwback of sorts I really wasn't expecting. Two tracks struck me as immediate classics as soon as they finished.

Cannot wait for my second listen with a pair of quality headphones.
    Last edited by exilajei; 09-07-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    how has this album not leaked after all the listening parties?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    After all the fake leaks that have already circulated, it's unlikely anyone has patience left to listen to a recording from a mic stuffed in someone's pockets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Album does not disappoint!Certainly a good range of styles and sounds. One track toward the end had me cracking up quite a bit - not that it's overly silly, but certainly a throwback of sorts I really wasn't expecting. Two tracks struck me as immediate classics as soon as they finished. Cannot wait for my second listen with a pair of quality headphones.
    From what I've been reading and listening, 3 tracks off Syro are mastered versions of material RDJ has performed live but never officially released yet. The first being Minipops,...
    2nd XMAS_EVET10 (aka Metz):
    3rdPAPAT4 (aka Singapore):

Can you confirm?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Selfdestruct View Post
    Can you confirm?
    You are correct. Metz was definitely the 3rd track, can't remember when the Singapore track came on but it was near the end of the 2nd half, so I'm sure that's the proper title.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    You are correct. Metz was definitely the 3rd track, can't remember when the Singapore track came on but it was near the end of the 2nd half, so I'm sure that's the proper title.
    Are there any lush/mellow tracks a la Alberto Balsalm or Flim?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Are there any lush/mellow tracks a la Alberto Balsalm or Flim?
    Spoilers:
    The last track is a gorgeous piano piece with nature sounds, but apart from that, the album picks up speed and just gets more intense as it goes on.
    The album is mostly a mixture of mental percussion over SAW-type textures - but with a few twists.
    Last edited by exilajei; 09-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Awesome, can't wait to listen studio versions of those with headphones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    While we're all waiting patiently. Thought I'd share this cover.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Spoiler alert: http://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/aphex-twin-syro-384249 contains clips from every track on the album.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    spoiler alrrtt this is leaked as fucc now

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I think we all feel like this right now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i love the sound of...
    drip
    drip
    drip

and it sounds grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This will take some time to digest... Overall not a bad album but not amazing either, imo. Papat and XMAS studio versions are fantastic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bah, I've waited this long, I don't mind waiting a bit more for my pre-order. I don't mind reading what you guys say about it, though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Looking at the notes I took at the listening party... some songs sound very different on headphones. I must have been somewhere in the club that wasn't getting the full mid-range of these tracks. So funky!

Part of it I'm sure is also that there's just so much packed into each track. Gets better on each listen.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I gave it a full listen this morning and I have to say it's honestly probably one of his best pieces of work. Much more hard hitting and noisy than I was expecting but still full of rhythm and melody. 180db_ and CIRCLONTA6A are incredible, incredible tracks.

It's crazy to think that some of this may have been written 10 years ago and feels extremely of the time. Not that Aphex Twin's stuff ever felt dated, but it feel like it's got it's pulse and the current wave of what's happening in electronic music. Hard to explain.

I was wondering if anything was going to be able to knock Sun Kil Moon's "Benji" from my top spot of favorite albums this year and after a couple more listens, "Syro" just might do it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Free day so I woke and boke. Three songs in with headphones and I love it. Great layer upon layer building.

Gotta echo exilajei , there's a lot of funk in this.

EDIT - Is it just me or does "4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26]" have some Windowlicker in it?

EDIT 2 - Holy shit! 180db_! Like a rave on E in hell watching the Pink Elephants scene from Dumbo...
    Last edited by poinoup; 09-18-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    It's incredibly musical. He's been practicing his keyboard playing a lot. It's not going to blow my mind the way Aphex Twin blew my mind in the late 90s, but it is actually making me think more about the electronic music I tinker with. It's also a real grower of an album, even as much as I like it coming out the gate.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    It's incredibly musical. He's been practicing his keyboard playing a lot. It's not going to blow my mind the way Aphex Twin blew my mind in the late 90s, but it is actually making me think more about the electronic music I tinker with. It's also a real grower of an album, even as much as I like it coming out the gate.
    Totally agree on the "thinking about your own music" part. It's gonna help change how I look at my stuff too.

And man... the birds and piano on "Aisatsana" is a beautiful end to the album. Lets you gather thoughts on SYRO as a whole.