Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm sitting in class right now, with Caustic Window sitting here on my hard drive, and I'm going insane. I'm tempted to just walk out of here now and listen to it

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    don't know if any of you bought it through the kickstarter, but we got a follow-up e-mail offering a physical package with a blank CD-R on which to burn the tracks, and it looks GORGEOUS. $13 with shipping? yes, please!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, it's definitely not the best thing he's ever done...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i haven't actually listened to it, yet, i'm just such a sucker for special/limited edition physical items. plus, i hate only owning something digitally.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    "101 Rainbows Ambient Mix" is gorgeous.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "101 Rainbows Ambient Mix" is gorgeous.
    Amen. Between this track and The Knife's "Silent Shout" I kind of want a Roland SH-101 (or a Novation Bass Station II) but I will not cave. I will continue to let other people who are better at music than I am use their 101s to make delightful arpeggios.

I do hope one day we get a version of this track without the record noise.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So notch (the guy who created minecraft) bought the watmm vinyl http://goo.gl/iSzbcC

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm listening to a radio play of "do Androids dream of electric sheep" http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047cz2c it features lots of aphex twin particularly ambient works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It occured to me the other week how not-well his music has aged. I had this vision of us looking back one day, proclaiming "Yeah, that was the time when we listened to Aphex Twin, fooling ourselves into admiring him."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    It occured to me the other week how not-well his music has aged. I had this vision of us looking back one day, proclaiming "Yeah, that was the time when we listened to Aphex Twin, fooling ourselves into admiring him."
    Really? i hear music by him and cannot believe its 15-20 years old, i still think his material sounds stunning, He is still probably the most influential person of all time in the electronic music spectrum.
    Electronic music dates fast, anything released before 2009, today sounds dated. Dubstep already sounds dated, its always evolving, Compared to most electronic music from the 90s his music still sounds like something else, stuff like the Richard D James Album, or tracks like Didgeridoo just becuase some of the equipment he used 20 years ago on Selected Ambeint Workings sound dated does not really effect its emotional impact to me, at all.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you heard the "Alarm Will Sound" album where they perform Aphex Twin tracks using classical instrumentation?

Aphex Twin broke new ground, and wrote some fantastic music, but it was nestled amongst more forgettable - if still original - stuff.
    In my mind, he was more impressive when I could only get the US releases on CD at Borders in the 90s, compared to being able to download every single thing he's ever released alongside a bunch of stuff he's never released. But I guess I could say something similar about the celebrated Radiohead music marking their dramatic change in focus. I've often thought that if you took the best songs of Kid A, Amnesiac and their B-sides and put them together, you'd have just about an album's worth of really good music.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm waiting patiently for Selected Ambient Works Volume III​.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Alessandro Cortini posted a picture on Instagram of a green blimp that said 2014 on it with the Aphex Twin logo as the zero. Hmmm...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Alessandro Cortini posted a picture on Instagram of a green blimp that said 2014 on it with the Aphex Twin logo as the zero. Hmmm...
    Bring it on!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    in addition to the blimp, there's been stencil art showing up in NY.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My body is ready.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    In case you missed it, this TOR link was posted from the AphexTwin twitter account, and you can see the contents at http://syro2eznzea2xbpi.com/ - although the .com address does not have the track listing that the TOR version has.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Looks like concert dates are coming as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/5682289893/...584894/?type=1

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Christmas comes early this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I saw Aphex on the Big Top Tour in 1997 complete with the dancing bears and the lying belly down on the floor with the laptop.

Has anyone else been to a show?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    I saw Aphex on the Big Top Tour in 1997 complete with the dancing bears and the lying belly down on the floor with the laptop.

Sounds similar to the show I saw... except the one I caught was with little people wearing american flag t-shirts and a clown wearing a venetian festival mask.

1999 or so?

Also, the music was brilliant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nah, it was in 1997 in Dallas with all these other electronic acts like Moby, 808 State, Emperion, Banco De Gaia and some others.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post

Yeah, I saw a similar show at a similar time, with Sneaker Pimps opening. It was awesome to hear Come to Daddy before it was released, but as shows go - it was RDJ on a couch with a laptop and, maybe a mixer. Bears came out and danced, a guy in just a towel came out and danced, and then took his towel off. (Other people's) Electronic music performances have certainly come a long way since then. I'm not sure I could be arsed to see Aphex Twin live again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy Shit!!! This is the best news ever!!! So pumped.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    If it picks up where Drukqs left off, I'm in. If it's more like Analord, I can't say I'll be that into it. If this motherfucker has hundreds of songs or dozens of albums all wrapped up, surely he can assemble a best-of to clean everyone's clocks.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So just out of curiosity, do you Aphex Twin fans get into Squarepusher too?
    They got me into Squarepusher and Plaid. Both of those are great "bands" who deserve your attention.