Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
It's a shame that most of these tracks are crap.
The torrent era definitely altered my perception of both Coil and Aphex Twin in this way. Both have brilliant moments, but both also have an extensive collection of b-sides and scraps which may contain interesting ideas, but taken by themselves, or amongst dozens or hundreds of tracks all together, don't bear out repeated listening. The early stuff he's put out is more interesting from an anthropological standpoint for me. I'm happy to go digging through this mountain to extract things like the "dark" version of Girl Boy song, Red Calx (hearing it both at the removed 'normal' speed and at 'slow', as stupid and simple as that is, really spun my head), or hearing the tape-warbled Heliosphan from SAW85-92 reinterpreted with dulcimers or something as "Square Dance", to name a few.

Back in the day, I'd have to drive to Baltimore and spend a decent amount of money for an import single, to find out that 8 of the 10 tracks were kind of interesting, and only 2 were real keepers. This Soundcloud dump is like compressing several of those trips into one weekend and several hundred dollars, except it's free.

Also, I never really followed Aphex Twin's live stuff, but there's I've only just now heard that I figured I'd share.