Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: All Things Marijuana!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)

All Things Marijuana!

I figured that since its slowly becoming legal in various states that we could possibly talk about the various strains, answer any questions people might have, show off pieces (pipes and whatnot), as well as the various news articles that pertain to the legalization of marijuana. Anything goes...except selling of-course.

-Here is a map of the states that have legalized the use of marijuana.
    -If you're looking to find local shops in your area, download the app called WeedMaps or go to their site here.
    -Worried about the new Vape scare? Read up here to make sure the cart you're using is legit.

Currently I am enjoying some Gorilla Glue #5, it's perfect for mellowing out and does well with my back pain. What strains have you guys been using?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Well, let's get it started right...

Stop calling it marijuana (a word, popularized to stigmatize migrant workers from Mexico during the great depression). It's cannabis indica (scientifically; c. indica). Sure, weed, pot, reefer, laughing lettuce are just fine... but mary jane and marijuana aren't.

But let's push it further it further. The way that sativa, indica and to a much less degree ruderalis are used are basically marketing terms stemming from being unable to share knowledge publicly and the vested interests involved. Or to put it another way, there's a good chance what one strain is called in one geography won't be the same in another (this is not the least of which dependant on seeds and then growing conditions).

This is changing... slowly. Some licensed producers in Canada have dropped that marketing entirely.

CBD vs. THC is another thing to tackle, if you don't know the percentages of what you're smoking, you really should find out (in Canada, all legal cannabis sold has to be tested for THC/CBD and various pest+herbicides). The next part is the terpene profile.

Terpenes are the characteristics of a particular strain (does it small lemon-y or earth-y or like rhubarb?) and tend to be consistent from strain to strain (so if, for example your favourite strain has certain non-potency-related traits, good chance that whenever you encounter them, it'll be genetically related regardless of what it's called), but in various strengths/weaknesses due to growing variables.

Personally, I'm about just consuming the dried flower and leave extracts out of the equation. That being said, edibles are a different thing but even that, I prefer dried flower as an ingredient.

So yeah, I smoke ~4g/day. I also take pictures of every strain I consume for comparison's sake.

I use a Celebration Pipe and hempwick to light it from a candle source (I don't need to inhale butane sparking a lighter for a bowl) and when I'm out of the house, a Da Vinci Acsent vaporizer...

What do I tend to smoke? Strains with high THC %'s. 20+ preferred but 22/23/24% seem to treat me better. The CBD % is almost negligible (at like, 0.04%).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I tend to favour hybrids; current strains I'm using:

- Staw Dawg 30% indica / 70% sativa
    - Tangerine Dream 30% indica / 70% sativa
    - Low Coast OG 80% indica / 20% sativa

I use these via a mains powered vapouriser - the Storz and Bickle 'Plenty' (link)

I also tend to blend whatever I'm using with a high CBD (~20%) hemp. The combination of high THC and high CBD is really, really nice - a combination of feeling very high but also completely compos mentis and on top of everything. It's also a touch more psychedelic.

The high CBD stuff is also very nice on its own (a world away from any CBD oils and extracts).

Once it's been through the vapouriser I keep what's left in a separate container and after a few sessions there's enough for a very pleasant edible dose.

I usually use the vapouriser just once a week - Saturday evenings in front of the stereo - I use it to decompress after a week of work and parenting.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Illinois: January 1, 2020.

Illinois became the 11th state to legalize cannabis and the first state in which a legislature approved commercial sales. Vermont lawmakers legalized possession, but not yet commercial sales. Approval in other states came via referendum.

Mentioned
    388 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Never touched it in any form - initially because I was just beaten over the head with "drugs are bad, mmmmkay" type stuff, but more so now because I still work for an employer who could fire my ass if I ever tested positive, and given that I *have* been injured on the job before, I know how quickly you can suddenly find yourself in a situation where they have cause to test.

But regardless of that, I don't have any real desire to get into the game until it's federally legalized and regulated. Basically for the reasons already outlined above in other posts - I want to know / be more confident about what's actually in the products I'm buying, and not just guessing at things. Hopefully that happens sooner than later, as I have yet to hear anyone provide a scientifically (or even morally) sound argument as to why alcohol should be legal but this shouldn't.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    My personal philosophy on cannabis usage is basically like this;

our bodies have and endocannibinoid system that affects our entire body,
    our bodies are therefor designed to interact with cannabis through inhalation and ingestion (with drinks and foodstuffs),
    as such, we should embrace as much of the whole plant for consumption rather than extracts (of THC or CBD)... and so I do. Sticks and stems get steeped in boiling water to make tea (or if I'm feeling luxurious, I'll steep a few buds... they blossom nicely) and the shredded/ground flower for inhaling.

I'm think sick kids who could benefit from cannabis therapies should be allowed to do so (movement/seizure disorders, chronic pain), include smoking (if it wasn't the fastest way to stop a seizure, I'd rethink it... of course, this does imply a certain amount of awareness while having an attack, not everyone is capable... and so other oral ingestion may be required).

I wasn't a consumer of cannabis prior to "getting sick".... but it's the only medicine that works.

All cannabis usage is "medical", our bodies don't care about the "why" we're consuming cannabis, it just appreciates that we're doing it.

This differs from alcohol in that our bodies don't have a inherent system to process it... which is why it leads to numbing and bodies shutting down.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 10-08-2019 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Illinois: Public weed consumption will be allowed only at dispensaries and smoke shops, not bars and restuarants.

This was passed yesterday. It's not a surprise, but I wonder if this has any bearing on opening a marijuana/hash bar. Also moved up collection of municipal sales tax from September to July.

Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Illinois: Public weed consumption will be allowed only at dispensaries and smoke shops, not bars and restuarants.

This was passed yesterday. It's not a surprise, but I wonder if this has any bearing on opening a marijuana/hash bar. Also moved up collection of municipal sales tax from September to July.
    I don't understand why everyone is pussyfooting around having venues for smoking weed. It's going to happen.

On a side note, the majority of my MJ consumption now is legitimately to help me handle anxiety attacks. I'm not as much into recreational use as I used to be, mainly cuz when I need it now I really need it. Nothing else works.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Nothing else works.
    Are you tracking which strain(s) work best for you? I ask because usually I opt for the highest THC strains available to manage pain issues buuuuut... every once and while I find a very dank strain that just keeps me nice n mellow, even with increased overall pain.