Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Rolling Stones

Today The Stones celebrate their first show.
    50 years...50 YEARS!
    I love this guys
    been a fan since a little kid.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One band has been around longer even than them...Golden Earring.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Beach Boys have been around longer, too, but it doesn't really matter.

For me, the Stones have gone from being a source of mild annoyance/boredom, a one-liner morbid joke, to being an enjoyable distraction, a work-generating revenue stream, and finally one of my favourite rock and roll bands ever. The depth and quality of their catalogue is astounding and constantly amazes me. I'd recommend Keith Richards' autobiography Life to anyone who's interested in the band. It's stunningly detailed and personable, without minimizing or explaining away their mythology.

As for my favourite LP of theirs... I don't even know, but Some Girls has always been pretty great and the deluxe version that came out last year has a whole extra disc of bonus songs that feel like they could belong on the original.
    Last edited by botley; 07-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Same thing happened to me; when I was a kid, hated 'em. High school, still didn't get 'em, still didn't really like 'em up until A FEW YEARS AGO, now "Let It Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers" are two of my favorite albums.

G and I saw them live in one of their relatively recent gonzo reunion shows, it was okay I guess.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I first saw them play live on the Forty Licks tour in 2003; it was this big outdoor benefit show for the hospital workers in Toronto who battled the SARS outbreak that had all but shut down the city and decimated its economic livelihood and worldwide reputation. Almost half a million people turned up to see the Stones headline; they had made a special side trip from Europe to play the gig and brought AC/DC out with them (plus Justin Timberlake, who came out to sing "Miss You" with Jagger and got pelted with plastic bottles, and the Isley Brothers were also on early in the day but I missed their set) and they invited out a bunch of great Canadian classic rock acts too, like Rush, who played part of "Paint It Black" in tribute.

The generous support they showed by doing that for the city really stuck with me. Later I learned that the band had a long and amazing history of milestone events in Toronto, dating back to the 1977 tour where Richards was busted for heroin posession, and Wood got caught with the Prime Minister's wife, and Jagger probably wrote part of "Miss You" (including the usually-skipped line "girls come and go, they're just like streetcars") while sitting in front of El Mocambo, which is where they recorded part of Love You Live, watching the 506 Carlton car go by and waiting for the rest of the band to show up.

In 2005 I was working a summer job as a concert security guard, and my supervisor told me that I could pick up some more all-day shifts if I wanted by guarding a rehearsal space. It turned out that it was Greenwood College, a big alternative high school that was within walking distance of my house. He told me I was to keep it quiet, but that the band who'd rented out the school was the Stones. It seems they have a tradition of rehearsing for all their world tours here because Michael Cohl lives nearby and they can get a good deal renting out a hangar at Pearson International Airport (immortalized in Rush's "YYZ") for the crew to practice building their massive steel stages. They also like do a warm-up gig before the official start of the tour in a small club downtown and take over one of the five-star hotels nearby for their home base.

It was amazing. I got to see them go to work every day (and eat their food! Mmmm, unlimited catering budget...) and chat with their very friendly crew. There's been no going back since then. They've been a gateway drug into all the very special old-time American music that people would otherwise have forgotten about, which they succeeded in repopularizing (along with The Beatles, of course). None of this rang true for me, only the celebrity bullshit aspect of their lives did, until I saw them up close like that.
    Last edited by botley; 07-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    That is an amazing story. You are quite fortunate.

I danced next to Mick at a club in NYC a long long time ago. He's a spaz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So many good memories from their music over the years.
    Eventhough i listen to a lot of music (mainly metal and classic) I ALWAYS go back to my Stones catalogue.
    It's like a breath of fresh air.
    Sometimes I got stuck into a decade (the 70's are the best, but there is always a gem in every album, even in Dirty Work and Undercover)

I remember when I was 12 years old (with my walkman....yes cassette you fuckers) and almost every night I listened to Their Satanic Majestic Request...some kind of spooky/trippy.

They rock.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm in that same camp of people who hated them for years and then suddenly switched to loving them. It was maybe two or so years ago. My friend and I got into a debate about them, so I gave them another shot, and something just clicked that time around.

I just love the grittiness of their music. You put it on and it makes you feel good, instantly.

The first time I pressed play on Exile and heard "Rocks Off," I was just in total shock that any song could be so fucking cool. An album for fucking life.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    seems like the consensus (myself included) is that they're a band who connect more as you grow older and wiser and tastes evolve. i couldn't stand them outside of "paint it black" as a kid, and like botley, they're now one of my favorite pure rock n' roll groups. truly some amazing material in their catalog.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    In my case, I think it's cuz I scoffed at "rock royalty" in general. They struck me as boring and obvious, the kinda band you felt obligated to like. And I used to have a real chip on my shoulder about listening to shit like Madlib and Can and Jesus and Mary Chain, cause I totally bought into that idea that your taste in music is a statement about who you are. I liked that idea when I was growing up because I didn't have much else. I was definitely a loser kid, so I needed something to make me feel cool. Rolling my eyes anytime someone mentioned the Stones was always an incredibly self-conscious move.

But I'm at this point in my life where I have zero fucking interest in using bands as fashion accessories, and that's why I can actually hear the Stones for what they really are, and not as an identity statement. That way of approaching music starts to seem pretty silly and unsatisfying, the older you get. It's nice to just like shit for it's own sake. The Rolling Stones have so much quality shit, it's just ridiculous. It's probably time for me to blast "Rocks Off" at ear bleeding volume.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    awesome.

i dint come around to these guys until the last 3 or 4 years, but man, theirs so much good music there. unlieavable they have been around over 50 years. i really hope Rush makes it that long, that would be impressive. I love Rush, so much. Anybody seen their docu Beyond the Lighted Stage? Great fim, tells their story from back when Geddy and Alex were playing together in middle school, thru like 2009. They interview the obvious modern musicians throughout, TR even shows up!

Ok im getting off topic, back to el rollo del stones-o

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really want to hang out with Keith Richards after reading his autobiography Life. He is awesome, so funny, his old timer man's man attitude is very infectious i love his whiskey drenched voice, he personifies rock n roll.
    It really is amazing he is alive. Something odd there.
    That book was a great read, could not put it down. I especially liked reading about his doped up relationship with the 'crazy bitch' Anita Pallenberg. Also liked the story about when he threatened Truman Capote with a gun for making a 'queeny, bitchy' comment and threatened him with a gun saying, 'in cold blood, i'll give you cold blood'!!
    And when he was high on smack and disposed of Ronnie Wood's pet paroquet thinking it was a malfunctioning toy alarm clock...again he is awesome.

I like Ronnie Wood too, i like them all, they are all charming,I get the impression that Mick Jagger is made of steel.

Have been listening to their first album from 1964 recently. However i think i like Aftermath or Sticky Fingers the most.

Always liked the way they transitioned from the 1960's to the 1970's after Brians death.

I want to see them again on their next record breaking tour i dont care if they tour till they are 90.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 07-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd love to hear new material, and no so many "official bootlegs".
    The last one, A Bigger Bang, was so good, love that kinky/dirty rock like "Rough Justice"
    I missed songs like Starfucker....the political incorrect Stones, if you know what I mean.

Mick, should stop doing shit with JLo or Will I Am (or whatever the name of that asshole is) and focus on the Stones.
    Keith was right on LIFE, when we wrote that Mick was somehow like trendy and going to every club and then try to put that kind of music in the records.
    Some Girls is awesome but it's very clear the "Disco" influence, and that is Mick all the way. (as in Emotional Rescue and Black & Blue also)

BTW the SuperHeavy band...was so, so,so BAD

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I was listening to Aftermath last night, and I was thinking, the song "Goin' Home" just doesn't get enough credit. Such a great jam. It predates other 10 minute+ songs like "The End" by the Doors, and yet it doesn't seem to have the same kind of legacy. "Goin' Home" should be a household name.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love the mellow stuff. "Moonlight Mile", "Winter", and "Heaven" particularly. And earlier stuff like "Play With Fire", "I Am Waiting" and "When Blue Turns To Grey". And of course "Wild Horses". The scene in Gimme Shelter with everybody looking on as the playback goes is probably the best scene in the whole film.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I love the mellow stuff. "Moonlight Mile", "Winter", and "Heaven" particularly. And earlier stuff like "Play With Fire", "I Am Waiting" and "When Blue Turns To Grey". And of course "Wild Horses". The scene in Gimme Shelter with everybody looking on as the playback goes is probably the best scene in the whole film.
    If we're gonna talk mellow stuff, we can't forget "No Expectations" and "Angie." Angie was one of the first Stones songs I really liked, even back when I disliked them as a whole. And "No Expectations," it's so perfectly understated, it just kills me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Totally forgot "No Expectations", thank you. "Angie" is okay, but not a top top favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mellow stuff, almost all Keith songs at the end of the Stones records.
    Slipping away, Thief in the night, All about you, etc,etc.

Did any of you guys check the 50 years photo book?
    it's worth buying?
    I have TONS of books with photos, so I want to know
    (i'll probably end buying it anyway)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

nothing musically transcendent, but the overall feeling of this one really does it for me. kind of lazy, bluesy, yet connects pretty deeply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just bought the Stones photo book 50th aniv.
    If you are a fan you MUST have it.
    Over 1000 just incredible photos, through all their carreer

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I reviewed the new single. There's a link there if you haven't heard it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I reviewed the new single. There's a link there if you haven't heard it yet.
    Love it.
    I love the Stones, but another GRRRReatest hits?
    Ok, it's been 50 years, but the only difference from 40 Licks is just 1 album (Bigger Bang) and a couple of "new songs" (left overs from Exile).
    As I have EVERYTHING from them, of course I'll buy the greatest hits, but I'd much rather prefer a new album FOR SURE.
    Mick just has to stop his "collaborations" with JLo and fucking Will IAm or whatever the fuck.
    And SuperHeavy shits, that take him to nowhere, trying to please new audiences?.
    (and please don't use that pink suit anymore!)

Sorry for the post, but I'm a fan and I'd love to see the "Mean Mick" from Saint of Me video :/

Keith should put him back in track.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Great band, overrated to the haters underrated for the lovers, that's how it is...
    I like mostly their late 60's, early 70's era albums: "Sticky Fingers", "Let it Bleed", "Exile on Main St." and "Beggar's Banquet" are my faves, but i love lots of their early 60's singles, i think they became shameless corporate rock in the 80's but i dig a lot of songs from that era too and i confess "Voodoo Lounge" is one of my favorite Rolling Stones records...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    First gigs in five years announced.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just had to check out the price range of the NJ concerts even though I don't live even remotely close to there.

$114 - $814

Have fun!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fucks given: none. Bodily fluid I'll have to sell in order to raise the money: ALL OF IT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    London shows sold out in about 10 seconds I didnt get tickets managed to see Led Zeppelin at the exact same venue 5 years ago but not this time..fuuuck.
    Some tickets are selling for 10.000 pounds on ebay. I actually think this is a bit sick.

hope they tour next year. Last saw them in 2003. I wonder if this will be the last tour? Or will they do a Chuck Berry and continue untill they are in their mid 80? Heard rumours Keith has been a bit more wary and health concious since his tree accident. And Charlie Watts is actually starting to look elderly!
    If they tour i doubt it will be as extensive. But hopefully next summer.