Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 4ad

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

4ad

i already started a factory thread, and while i love that label with all my heart, no label has meant as much to me as 4AD. i love almost every single release on the label (i even tracked down and own all four original AXIS singles), until around 1998 or so, when ivo himself left the label and the focus shifted to a more general "indie rock" focus. there are still some major names on the label, but the only thing i've cared for in ages is scott walker.

a few favorite classic 4ad moments/essentials to check out for a newcomer:

xymox- medusa
    flagship goth record, a perfect hybrid of the cure & new order.

swallow- blow
    underrated, understated dream pop.

pieter nooten & michael brook- sleeps with the fishes
    lush, ambient record with sporadic vocals, from one of the members of xymox.

dead can dance- within the realm of a dying sun
    my favorite from these guys, side A is dominated by brendan perry while side B is all lisa gerrard.

cocteau twins- head over heels
    perfect band, perfect album... hard to pick one but this is probably my favorite.

red house painters- down colourful hill
    devastating slow, art-damaged folk music. these are early demos polished up for a first release.

his name is alive- mouth by mouth
    eclectic, bizarre, and beautiful record. dreampop/folk hybrid.

this mortal coil- filigree & shadow
    rotating vocalists/super group featuring ivo & various friends and 4AD family.

le mystere de voix bulgares
    bulgarian folk music, all vocal-based. fans of vast should recall 'pilentze pee.'

modern english- mesh & lace
    much darker record from the same band who would later bring you 'i melt with you.' amazing bass driven post-punk.

dif juz- out of the trees
    haunting, breezy, jazz-esque but understated.

colourbox- breakdown
    soulful club jams. these guys (with members of a.r. kane) were also responsible for 'pump up the volume' as M/A/R/R/S

wolfgang press- birdwood soul
    combines the bleakness of their earlier records/rema-rema with more synth swagger.

xmal deutschland- tocsin
    germany's answer to siouxsie & the banshees. often transcends them.

lush- spooky
    shoegaze classic, produced by robin guthrie

a.r. kane- lolita
    slightly broken shoegaze, really special and delicate.

pale saints- the comforts of madness
    shoegaze monster, massive record.

bauhaus- in the flat field
    manic, but awesome debut from thesegothy titans. first tones on tail 12'' was also on the label...

& pixies, duh.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    also, for fans of the label, there's a new book available for preorder in the US. in the UK/worldwide, it's out already:
    http://www.4ad.com/news/26/9/2013/fa...publishedtoday

we'll see how it stacks up to the paper i wrote on the label in college

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    also, for fans of the label, there's a new book available for preorder in the US. in the UK/worldwide, it's out already:
    http://www.4ad.com/news/26/9/2013/fa...publishedtoday

we'll see how it stacks up to the paper i wrote on the label in college

The National?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    why did you quote the book link?

but no, i like the idea of the national, but i don't care for them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I was just saying they are a part of 4ad. Maybe I miss read but I thought this thread is about 4ad artists? = )

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    yes, definitely. the national qualify. quoting a post about a book though and naming a band with a question mark was vague, is all. wasn't quite sure what you were going for there.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Fair enough. Just the first thing that enters my mine when I hear 4ad.
    Last edited by Rdm; 11-01-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The Breeders duh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the band Lush with all my heart. The Pixies, as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    There's not really a distinctive '4ad Sound' anymore, but I still dig a bunch of the new acts on the roster (Deerhunter/Atlas Sound, National, St Vincent, TVOTR).

Anyways...

An all-time favourite I cannot recommended highly (or often) enough, released on the long-defunct Guernica imprint. Intimately beautiful and strangely unsettling, the album gives me similar vibes to Slowdive's Pygmalion (not so much in terms of sound, but of atmosphere). The 4ad site describes it as "a glacial soundworld of eerie electronics and dispassionate vocals, cradling brutally candid lyrics", which is pretty accurate. I'd definitely say it qualifies as dream-pop, though that may be because it seems like the perfect soundtrack to most of the dreams (and nightmares) I have.

They started out as the AR Kane-esque Earwig, which wasn't affiliated with 4ad but is worth checking out for fans of the label's early days (especially since all of their stuff is available for free: http://earwiguk.bandcamp.com/).

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    4AD is definitely one of the great indie labels ever. For me, it's acts like This Mortal Coil, Pixies, the Breeders, Lush, Bauhaus, and Cocteau Twins that made the label so revered.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Grimes and Purity Ring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The new 4AD book is wonderful, Overall i think 4AD is the best indie label ever definitely, only other label that gave it a run for its money was Creation Records who was for a time in the late 80s early 90s probably slightly better. They had a mighty line up too My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Ride, Swervedriver, Slowdive, Sugar, Teenage Fanclub, Oasis, Pastels, House of Love, Momus, Medicine, Felt, Adorable Boo Radleys, The Loft etc.

I think the period when Cocteau Twins Dead Can Dance and This Mortal Coil were breaking through was the best point for me.
    But 4AD had a certain aesthetic that towered above all the others, the sleeves were incredible. And Ivo Watts Russell is a wonderful man.
    Its still pretty good now, but i agree Ivo had a certain gift he brought with him that has since gone.

The The's first album Burning Blue Soul and The Birthday Party's last one are the albums from 4AD i keep going back to the most at the moment.

Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    yeah 4AD is awesome... though I would say that I'd like to see a general thread dedicated to indie record labels.

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    i keep forgetting blonde redhead is (was?) on 4AD. do they have anything new coming out soon? i was very lukewarm with penny sparkle (after finding 23 to be my favorite of their albums) and i'm interested to see in what new direction they might be heading.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    The whole Beggars group is fantastic. Definitely the label collective from the UK.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    i mentioned it in my long list of standouts, but the 4ad album i keep coming back to regularly is pieter nooten and michael brooks- sleeps with the fishes. pieter nooten played synths in clan of xymox during their peak, and michael brook is an excellent, if but slightly unknown ambient/soundtrack composer. most of the tracks are ambient, some share passages with xymox's medusa, and a few tracks have vocals, but the whole album is incredible. one of my favorites on the label, and of all time. really worth hearing, if you like your ambient music to be dark and cinematic.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    bumping ancient threads to post this spotify playlist i just made featuring a lot of my 4ad favorites, Ivo-Watts era only. i tried to strike a balance between some of the best cuts (song to the siren, all dcd) and some deeper material (frazier chorus, in camera, etc.). might be overwhelming for an introduction, but if this sound interests anyone, there's plenty to love here!

https://open.spotify.com/user/126480...k0AGJ0fCJcOaNY

Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    bumping ancient threads to post this spotify playlist i just made featuring a lot of my 4ad favorites, Ivo-Watts era only. i tried to strike a balance between some of the best cuts (song to the siren, all dcd) and some deeper material (frazier chorus, in camera, etc.). might be overwhelming for an introduction, but if this sound interests anyone, there's plenty to love here!

https://open.spotify.com/user/126480...k0AGJ0fCJcOaNY
    first time i've ever wished i had spotify : /

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Neat thread!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ART ROCK ADVENTURISM: THE COMPLETE 4AD STORY....

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl...ete-4ad-story/