Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Some of them are good, some not so. The New Adventures (7th doctor) & Eighth Doctor Adventures are surprisingly adult, very dark. The Human Nature 2-parter is adapted from one of them
    I enjoyed the family of blood 2 parter until the end where the doctor went about putting the family in eternal chains, mirrors, scarecrows etc. My problem first of all was the doctor, not being vengeful and evil would surely just have waited a few minutes for them to die naturally (the doctor knows that immortality is a curse from the Five Doctors and what happens to Borusa) - it was just too cruel for me, even apart from my second issue with it which was that the doctor isn't a superhero - how could he lift chains from a dwarf star in the first place ? He solves problems with brains not brawn, that ending just seemed tacked on for it's 'darkness'

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I felt Dinosaurs was wrong on many levels.
    First and foremost, the Doctor killed someone. Outright killed, no final chance for their life, no greed in themselves killing them, just murder. That's not the Doctor. Also, Mitchell and Webb, whilst being British comedy staples for this generation, are not very good voice actors, and should not have been given the part. The plot itself didn't carry much weight, with some vague missiles (which I'm sure the TARDIS could stop) threatening a space station that never really felt in peril. The inclusion of Nefertiti and [random explorer man] seems like it is meant for the season finale or something like that, and had no bearing on the plot, and really detracted from the fact a fair amount of time had passed since the last episode. Silurians being mentioned but not truly shown was a true kick in the teeth for fans too, they were a frequent Classic monster, and they've just not had the representation in NuWho.

Also, I noticed Amy acting a LOT like the Doctor, I'm sure this will be revealed in the Weeping Angels episode as some big scary thing, but I really just don't care enough about it. Sadly, I think this would've been a brilliant episode if it was serialised - spread it over a few hours and a few weeks, and you'd have an entertaining, exciting story, but the constraints of NuWho means it was a very poor episode overall.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I don't like this habit of the show introducing old friends of the doctor's who we've never heard of before, but we're expected to go along with it like we're all best buddies. It's a bit like going home for christmas to find Uncle Peter sitting at the dinner table and you can't figure out why no one else doesn't know who he is.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Was it not a case that either the bounty hunter died or te doctor and co did? Not a hard call even for the doctor. That said he seemed to enjoy it. I think that points to him changing over the series.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Was it not a case that either the bounty hunter died or te doctor and co did? Not a hard call even for the doctor. That said he seemed to enjoy it. I think that points to him changing over the series.
    he didn't have to leave the guy on the ship. The doctor could've teleported him back with him and still ejected the ship into space to be hit by the missiles and saved the dinosaur ship.

I only go back to the restart with Doctor 9 and Rose, but I think sheepdean's right. The Doctor shouldn't be killing people. He should be giving them a chance and letting them ruin themselves. It may not make much of a difference in most cases, but it's what makes the Doctor who he is, and separates him from us humans.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well, I guess the writers knew what they were doing after all. They addressed the changes in the Doctor and brought him back to his old self. It'll be interesting to see if that was just a quick 2 episode ark, or if there's something more to it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I still think there'll be an Amy/Doctor reversal, to explain the dramatic mood changes in them. The episode was better than I expected, but Rory being put int the backseat AGAIN was annoying

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "He's called Susan and he wants you to respect his life choices."

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I kinda felt the horse moment was fan pandering, have a trans* human would be too much for the fairly sexist Moffat to handle, but he could let that slide. Not to mentioned apparent pronoun confusion, unless we are to assume the horse chooses male pronouns. Which is a bit too deep to go.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    What, you didn't think the Doctor "speaking" horse was silly enough?

I have to say, I'm rather enjoying Matt Smith's gleeful moments right now because you just know shit will go horribly wrong before long.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Is it just me or do the three lead actors seem to have aged 10 years in the past 3? I'm thinking they get paid in cocaine and cigarettes.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    are there a Doctor/Rory shippers out there (besides me...?) hahahahahaha

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    also, BEN FUCKING BROWDER! sorry, i'm watching saturday's episode right now, and i started jumping up and down when he showed up as the sheriff...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    are there a Doctor/Rory shippers out there (besides me...?) hahahahahaha
    There are shippers for everything.

Except Doctor/River, because that pairing sucks, even if it is canon

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    There are shippers for everything.

Except Doctor/River, because that pairing sucks, even if it is canon
    i definitely liked it better when river Spoiler: was trying to kill the doctor...it was more fun!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Is it just me or do the three lead actors seem to have aged 10 years in the past 3? I'm thinking they get paid in cocaine and cigarettes.
    It's intentional. The Ponds are in their 30's now. Rory mentioned being 31 in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    It's intentional. The Ponds are in their 30's now. Rory mentioned being 31 in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
    Yeah, if you take into account all the time they spent with the Doctor, they have aged a few years (canonically, they're born in 1989)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I knew that.

I did though!

Did anyone catch the Doctor's reference to The Master in this episode? Odd given Amy-Rory hasn't met him.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Fuck The Master, bring back the Meddling Monk #ILiveInThe60s

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what the point of that episode was, but it was enjoyable. Except the last line was ridiculous and I wanted to stab whoever wrote it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    How come after Amy shocked him he didn't fall into a coma before regenerating days later as an amnesia suffering half human Paul Mcgann?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Better question: why didn't the defribulator stop his other heart? I mean, we can accept the TV-land idea that one can restart a stopped heart (it can't), but the idea that it wouldn't stop the other one just as easily? Sci-fi shows need more of the sci sometimes

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well assuming his bad heart was in cardiac arrest and not completely dead, the defibrillator would have stopped both of his hearts like it's designed to do to the bad one. If he was really lucky they both would have reset and started back up again. It's pretty unlikely that a single charge would work so well on two hearts in totally different conditions, but it is within the realm of suspend-your-disbelief-for-television possibility.

A question for the old school fans. What was the back story on the woman (Stewart I think her name was) whose father apparently knew the doctor?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Her father was The Brigadier.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The Brigadier was a high ranking member of UNIT who shared many adventures with the Third and Fourth Doctors, and appeared thorughout the series too. That moment in The Wedding of River Song, where a nurse informs the Doctor that someone has died? That was the Brigadier, and related to the fact the actor had sadly passed away before he could be brought into the new series (although he WAS in the Sarah Jane adventures).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just signed up for Amazon Prime and found out that they have all of the Sarah Jane Adventures in their library of free-for-Prime-members streaming programs. woo!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Brigadier had the funniest line in the whole series

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    ​Wowwwwwwwww.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The most predictable, mundane, unemotional story I've ever seen for Doctor Who. I mean, at least Amy has left now, but every single play I saw coming a mile off.