Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    OMG I got so emotional watching all the Doctors at work saving Gallifrey.

Also, Capaldi! Baker!
    I got super choked up from the first few seconds with Hartnell's intro, as he's my Doctor, so the whole thing was feels
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Quick question - we've only got up to finishing season 5 of the new Dr Who, so the first Matt Smith season - will that make a difference to watching this?
    Matt's stuff is not integral to the plot, but there'll be a hell of a lot of spoilers if you watch this, so I'd personally go all the way

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, that scene at the end Spoiler: with Tom killed me. It was like some kind of ridiculous transcendental moment of wish-fulfillment. The music, the intensity, the way he spoke with such severity. What a day to be a Whovian!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Man, that scene at the end Spoiler: with Tom killed me. It was like some kind of ridiculous transcendental moment of wish-fulfillment. The music, the intensity, the way he spoke with such severity. What a day to be a Whovian!
    YES! And Tennant's "I don't want to go" and all the Doctors working together to save Gallifrey and "we do this together"... My only tiny tiny egoistical complaint would be that when Spoiler: the War Doctor regenerated I was hoping against hope that we would get to see Eccleston if only for 2 little seconds. Oh well.

But awesome doesn't even begin to describe it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @marodi you did see Eccls cake, admittedly for less than 2 seconds, they used previous footage of him as part of Hurt's regeneration. I really wish they'd used the living doctors in that scene with all of them though, at the very least McGann who still looks right.

STILL HOPING SUSAN RETURNS FOR THE GALLIFREY SHIT

(if you're in this thread and haven't seen the special yet, you really are in the wrong place so I'm not using spoiler tags)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Did anyone watch An Adventure in Space and Time?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    OMG I got so emotional watching all the Doctors at work saving Gallifrey.

Also, Capaldi! Baker!
    That was just brilliant! I wouldn't even consider myself a Whovian (I was watching it with my brother who is) but man that was freaking awesome!!! Def choked up a bit during that part and Baker! (who I still fondly remember from when they used to show the classic series on PBS)

Just Great!!!!
    Last edited by Tums206_BFY; 11-25-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    One thing I just want to remind people of: during the 50th, when the Time Lords are in their war room, they ask about the High Council, to which someone replies, "They're locked away; They have plans of their own," meaning they were resurrecting the Master, etc with the End of Time stuff. But if Ten just sent them back at the end of 'End of Time', not destroying them in the process, then ole crazy Rassilon is still there on Gallifrey, waiting to be a dick about everything that went down with Ten when Smith/Capaldi's Doctor eventually shows his face.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    One thing I just want to remind people of: during the 50th, when the Time Lords are in their war room, they ask about the High Council, to which someone replies, "They're locked away; They have plans of their own," meaning they were resurrecting the Master, etc with the End of Time stuff. But if Ten just sent them back at the end of 'End of Time', not destroying them in the process, then ole crazy Rassilon is still there on Gallifrey, waiting to be a dick about everything that went down with Ten when Smith/Capaldi's Doctor eventually shows his face.
    I feel they must have already set in motion their plans that we've seen because that's what killed the Doctor, and so that's a fixed point for him, and he wouldn't be able to do that to Gallifrey if it saved him

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I don't regret seeing it in theaters, but I would have been just as happy to have watched it on the couch.

Which is, of course, what I'll be doing again tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't regret seeing it in theaters, but I would have been just as happy to have watched it on the couch.

Which is, of course, what I'll be doing again tonight.
    Same. I actually really enjoyed seeing it in 3D. You could see all the way to the back of the Tardis console room, and the paintings looked really good too. Plus the atmosphere in the audience was awesome, especially when Tom's voice came over the speakers.

On another note...is anyone else wondering what happened between the end of Name of the Doctor and the 50th? What happened after Clara and the Doctor were in his own 'timeline' and John Hurt was revealed? Weren't they still on Trenzalore in the future Doctor's grave?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Same. I actually really enjoyed seeing it in 3D. You could see all the way to the back of the Tardis console room, and the paintings looked really good too. Plus the atmosphere in the audience was awesome, especially when Tom's voice came over the speakers.

On another note...is anyone else wondering what happened between the end of Name of the Doctor and the 50th? What happened after Clara and the Doctor were in his own 'timeline' and John Hurt was revealed? Weren't they still on Trenzalore in the future Doctor's grave?
    The atmosphere in the theatre was incredible. Everyone laughed, everyone freaked out for each Doctor (my god, when Tom Baker showed up), it was great. Like hosting a watch party in your house with hundreds of fanatics.

I'm a little bothered that their departure was just glossed over, but I guess it was just "okay, we stared at this Not-Doctor for a while, Clara, let's go." And they just...stepped back out of it? Eh.

In any case, that special was incredible. Maybe it was just the fact that I saw it first in theatres, but it had a more cinematic feel than usual. Gorgeous.

Onto Gallifrey, then.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Did anyone watch An Adventure in Space and Time?
    Yes I did & I thought it was a very poignant love letter to the show's early period, brilliantly performed and visually stunning. Compare the genuine emotional impact of the final Hartnell scenes to new series' corny melodrama/sentimentality...! And fantastic to get a very brief glimpse of a nice recreation of the radiophonic workshop, complete with Delia & Brian

old school fans know that "Adventure in Space and Time" was the real 50th anniversary episode!

Tom & John Hurt were pretty much the only good things about "Day of the Doctor" IMO. I loved the painting thing, but seriously... no. I'm sure everyone who secretly wanted DW to be star wars was overjoyed, but I was kind of feeling like corporate branding was the only reason I was watching. IMO the show has been hit and miss since the Douglas Adams period & I'm not saying the current era is any worse than the worst of the 80s, but really really wondering why I bother at this point! Hope Capaldi and the clearing of the decks leads to some positive change (darker, talkier, less frivolity, more brains!)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Time passed, one can assume ~1 year, for her teaching certificate

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    so I'm only a very casual Dr Who guy, but I watched the new one with my wife, and we both sort of felt that it kind of ... neutered the Doctor? I mean, the tragedy of his background was the most interesting, dynamic part of the character to us (as casual fans) and that just got undone. (Okay, none of the previous incarnations 'knew' it but that doesn't change the underlying 'truth.') Totally knocked us out of our even casual interest in the character. How did the more hardcore people feel about it?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @screwdriver to me, it's much more like the character, but I'm a Classic Who fan. I know that he elected to not commit genocide when he started the Time War, I know that he has such darkness in his past of when he has had to allow people to die, even back in early episodes like the Aztecs where he had to allow people he'd befriended to die. He's a healer, and the fact he'd done that fit less to his character, imo, than him breaking the universe to allow himself to save everyone. Eccelston's "everyone lives" moment is the most Doctor Who moment of New Who, imo. The 50th special was very much made for Classic fans I'd argue, and the choice of an older Doctor to replace Smith is also for us, they've got a wide audience now and want to keep it.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yes I did & I thought it was a very poignant love letter to the show's early period, brilliantly performed and visually stunning. Compare the genuine emotional impact of the final Hartnell scenes to new series' corny melodrama/sentimentality...! And fantastic to get a very brief glimpse of a nice recreation of the radiophonic workshop, complete with Delia & Brian

old school fans know that "Adventure in Space and Time" was the real 50th anniversary episode!
    I was blinking back tears at the end and the little bit about Hartnell after the credits was a delight. I hope the special won over new fans of the first Doctor.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I was blinking back tears at the end and the little bit about Hartnell after the credits was a delight. I hope the special won over new fans of the first Doctor.
    I didn't see it, what was in the bit after the credits?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    It wasn't very long but it was about his legacy as the first Doctor.

Finally finished acquiring a torrent of the Tom Baker episodes-all 30 GB. This will take awhile to watch.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I was amazed at the theater's reaction for the tiny little glimpse of Capaldi. I mean - Piper got a huge response, as did Tennant and Baker. But man...they almost seemed to cheer even more for half a second of Capaldi's eyes.

I will say though...I'm so excited to see his Doctor. I still haven't watched much Classic Who, but just after seeing his work in other things, I'm extremely eager to see how he handles this role.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Finally finished acquiring a torrent of the Tom Baker episodes-all 30 GB. This will take awhile to watch.
    I hope you'll be getting the other classic doctors too :P

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I was amazed at the theater's reaction for the tiny little glimpse of Capaldi. I mean - Piper got a huge response, as did Tennant and Baker. But man...they almost seemed to cheer even more for half a second of Capaldi's eyes.

I will say though...I'm so excited to see his Doctor. I still haven't watched much Classic Who, but just after seeing his work in other things, I'm extremely eager to see how he handles this role.
    Smith has not always been a popular choice, and I think a lot of people feel he's a soft choice. A new Doctor being teased like that is unusual, and he's already an unusual choice, having appeared in both Torchwood and Doctor Who before in different roles, so there's momentum behind him.

Also, watch Classic who, at the very least, watch all the regeneration episodes and The Daleks, which is the serial where we first meet ... the daleks, surprisingly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    best classics IMO -

Genesis of the Daleks is probably the all-time classic & I would recommend any newbie start there, possibly the best doctor, definitely the best davros, spookiest daleks since their first appearance, thinly veiled but immensely enjoyable nazi bashing, great music, great photography, 2 of the best cliffhangers ever etc etc

Best Hartnell - An Unearthly Child (1st ep only), The Daleks, The Tenth Planet

Troughton - Web of Fear, Tomb of the Cybermen, Krotons, War Games

Pertwee - Inferno, Carnival of Monsters, The Daaemons, Planet of the Daleks, Green Death.

Baker - Pyramids of Mars, Terror of the Zygons, Seeds of Doom, Brain of Morbius, Android Invasion... many many more from that era

Davison - Earthshock, Caves of Androzani

C Baker - Vengeance on Varos

Mccoy - Survival

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I haven't seen a huge amount of the Classic years either, but what I have seen I've enjoyed a lot for the most part. The pace is a lot slower, and some of the acting and incidental music can really ruin the experience. But the stories make up for it, and all of the Doctors stand out in their own ways. My recommendations would be 'Remembrance of the Daleks' (Sylvester McCoy) and 'City of Death' (Tom Baker). And I would avoid 'Trial of a Time Lord' with a vengeance...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Spearhead from Space is an essential too imo, because it was the first of the colour era, and not a reboot but a reintroduction of sorts. Also, Eccelston's first episode is totally ripped off from that

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    A lot of these episodes are available on netflix instant watch.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Finally watching last year's Christmas special tonight.

Hey, better late than never.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Someone showed me this lovely gem and now everything hurts. If only.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oh, man.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    On a morbid note, I wonder how many Doctors will still be around in 10 years time? Most of the classic ones are of quite similar ages

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    On a morbid note, I wonder how many Doctors will still be around in 10 years time? Most of the classic ones are of quite similar ages
    Excluding the obvious ones (McGann to Capaldi), probably Davison and Baker. Davison will be around for a long time since he was so young when he took the part, not to mention he looks pretty good for a 60+ year old man.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Colin Baker will be 80, considering he doesn't exactly look after himself and is fond of a drink, I think we honestly could be left with just Davison from the Classics (McGann isn't Classic to me, but the inbetweener)