Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I was among the apparently small number who actually enjoyed his tenure
    I love all of the revived series because I don't feel the need to crucify an actor just because you don't like the writer.

That's, I think, where a lot of the Matt Smith criticism comes from - the Internet's got this tendency to circlejerk around the thought of Moffat having ruined Doctor Who when he's done nothing of the sort, and Matt Smith gets caught in that because he's the "Moffat Doctor". Moffat's perceived list of sins, however, is not something I want to go into the day after I watched Eleven regenerate. Maybe another time.

(Nine's still my favorite, though.)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    @ibanez33 probably more like 1600, but he was a mere ~450 when we first met him - and ~250 when he first stole the TARDIS!
    I meant he was around 900 when Matt Smith started. There were a few episodes when he went away for huge chunks of time on his own, according to him in The Day Of The Doctor he's around 1300 but in the last special he was at Christmas for 300 years after the first time he sent Clara away and only aged a few wrinkles and a limp, it must have been at least another 300 years the second time he sent her away when the turkey was done.

*edit*

I'm crying again.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 12-28-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was walking home from school with my kids and I spotted what looked suspiciously like Tardis doors being unloaded from a special effects van on a piece of wasteland next to a railway station. I run home to get my husband to clock off early from work, and by the time we get back to watch, Peter Capaldi is outside too in a black cloak thing. It made our day

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Hulu recently added a bunch of classic Who episodes, much more than what Netflix has to offer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The new series starts in the UK in less than two weeks! Since I haven't seen it mentioned here, there's a couple of promos featuring Peter Capaldi.

Trailer #1

Personally I am so psyched for this series and the new Doctor. There's been a lot of chatter from the writers/actors about an edgier, darker Doctor, as well as the series being less focused on complicated story-arcs and the episodes being less rushed. It will also be the first time since 2010 that the series will be aired without any mid-series breaks.
    Last edited by Trains; 08-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Those motherfucking eyebrows

And that was the first Moffat episode I really liked in a while, we got ambiguity of ethics, actually pretty strong women rather than Mary Sues, slashed the romantic aspect in seconds and MOTHERFUCKING CAPALDI

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I have the same accent as Peter Capaldi- I'm Glaswegian. I've toned it down somewhat since emigrating to the US- I might just have to bring my brogue back in force now.

What are the chances that Missy will turn out to be The Master?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I kinda want Master back but I also don't want Moffat writing the master~

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Great episode. A slow, rocky start, to be sure, but the rest of it was fantastic. I think this series is going to really be one of the best ones yet.

Spoiler: Did not expect Matt Smith to show up at the end, Jesus Christ that hurt. Farewell Eleven :c

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Oh, you've got a dinosaur too!"

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the whole "look beyond appearances" theme. Capaldi is going to be a great Doctor.

I didn't cry at all during the phone call. Nope, not a single tear was shed. None whatsoever. *sniffles*

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Hopefully the brats who complained he wasn't pretty will be satiated by his performance (if not, fuck 'em)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Capaldi is great but the episode bored me. The themes were handled too obviously. At least three reminders that the lizard is a lesbian. I appreciate this is a kids show and they're breaking new ground but it grated on me. "Look at how unusual this is!" When it should be normal. Also the whole did he push or talk his adversary down, and which would be worse? - again really blunt instrument stuff. Frustrated that the impossible girl was thought shallow enough to need the phone call and the writers had no confidence in Capaldi to carry it off without a helping hand from Matt smith.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Clara needing the phone call was, imo, giving the phone call to the doubtful viewers, showing Smith handing it over willingly and asking the viewer to go with him, not Clara

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    That was amazing. I heard they were going for a darker tone, and I was worried, but that just took all of my concerns and threw them right out of a flying restaurant.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    One thing I really enjoyed was, during the "you look at me, but you don't see me" bit, he asks Clara if she knows what's that's like, and the camera lingers on her, because of course she knows, and it's the Doctor's fault she knows, because he spent the entirety of season 7 doing just that to her.

Really, the wrap-up of the episode, from when he returns to the very end, was my favorite section. Beautifully done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved the episode. From his first line, "shhh," I knew we would be in good hands. I love Capaldi's quirks and his style. It's going to be a fun season.

And of course last but not least, that phone call. I squealed and then shed a tear. I was a great hand off and great transition.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    capaldi rules, episode was ok. I saw it at the cinema, in the q&a afterwards, Capaldi backed bringing back tenth planet style cybermen moffat didn't seem pleased, whatever. They look creepy as hell & I'd love to see them again. The one they built for "an adventure in time and space" looked great

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i giggled through about 70% of the episode. capaldi is fantastic. madame vastra, jenny, & strax are definitely my favorite set of characters from the moffat era, so i'm always happy to see them.

my fiancee and i got really worried for a minute that they were taking clara in a stupid/shallow direction, but those concerns were quickly squashed by clara herself, and we both felt much better.

i'm looking very forward to this season.

and yes, eyebrows. amazing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Diggin' that Capaldi costume - the red lined jacket, the slick pants and them boots. Good stuff. Pretty excited for this new series!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well acted, but...damnit, I'm just really tired of the Strax/Vastra/Jenny trio. How many times can Mr. Potato Head call a woman "boy" before it's just not even remotely interesting anymore?

Spoiler alert: whatever the number is, they've already driven right past it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @theimage13 I love the trio but I do think Strax needs some character growth - Sontarans have always been pretty smart in terms of strategy after all

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Strax's vocal performance is very closely modeled on kevin lindsay's superbly creepy Lynx & Styre from the 70s episodes. So props for that

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I've been wondering: what is it that the Doctor is writing all over the bedroom floor after he wakes up and before he leaves on the roof? Is it supposed to make sense and I've missed it?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I've been wondering: what is it that the Doctor is writing all over the bedroom floor after he wakes up and before he leaves on the roof? Is it supposed to make sense and I've missed it?
    it looked like a lot of gallifreyan and mathematical equations.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So I'm the only one who watched the second episode, right? That's why there's no talking about the good Dalek? You've all been exterminated?

Resistance to the Twelfth Doctor is futile, people!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I feel completely sold on Capaldi, that's for sure. This past episode had a ton of great callbacks to what is widely valued as possibly the greatest New Who Dalek episode, Dalek, from the 9th Doctor's run, which was great to see.

I personally loathed Asylum of the Daleks, and this brought it back to much of why I love them as a villain. Fun episode, and Murray Gold's score keeps impressing me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Resistance to the Twelfth Doctor is futile, people!
    Yup, late to replying...so far I am loving this new Doctor. So much more stark and unfriendly than the last two. I was worried about the 'darker' angle of this series, but right now I'm sold on this harsher, more brittle Doctor. And the most recent episode was by far the best Dalek story for years. My inner-child could not help having a fangasm over the rapid fire energy gun thang.

I think the 'she cares so I don't have to' is one of my favorite lines the Doctor has ever said.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I thought the dalek was great, there was lots of mirroring between the first Dalek appearance (The Daleks) and my favourite serial (Genesis of the Daleks). I feel the lady at the end of these is going to either be The Master or a boring deus ex machina though.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Clearly she's supposed to be God, they just couldn't afford to pay Alanis Morissette.