Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013.10.24 - Atlanta, Georgia @ Philips Arena

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

2013.10.24 - Atlanta, Georgia @ Philips Arena

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Ha!!!! I'm the first one here to post. Man, that was fucking incredible. I don't remember the setlist as I didn't bring a pen or notepad this time around. The setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-5bc76f38.html is mostly correct though I definitely recall "Find My Way" being played. My favorite numbers were "Sanctified" and "A Warm Place" while the encore was fucking spot-on. I'll divulge more about the show when I do a full review.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The show was great but the audience by me was awful. Rob Sheridan was standing right in front of my section for a lil and no one knew who he was which was kinda funny. 2 drunk chicks behind me kept bragging how they knew the setlist before hand and kept asking what songs were playing. But yeah. I'm afraid of Americans was killer live didn't see that coming! Also even deeper was a pleasant surprise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got hit in the eye by some writhing drunken asshole but other than that the show was great. I'm Afraid of Americans man! Also the drive back to Tennessee is gonna suck since I lost a contact too

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Awesome show. "Disappointed", "Sanctified", "Even Deeper", and "Afraid of Americans" were my favorites. Really loved the visuals during most of the Hesitation Marks songs. I was up reall close for the first few songs, but got really pinned in after "March of the Pigs." Couldn't stand the for long so I moved farther back to have some room and enjoy the visuals. Thank God that one super drunk chick left before the show even started.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well damn, I said I didn't want to get I'm Afraid Of Americans and they played it for only the 3rd? time this tour...should have said dont play satellite or Into The Void, lol. That being said IAoA was excellent. TR was kicking ass and taking names tonight. He was going ape shit during MoTP!

Of the 3 shows I saw this week Atlanta was the best sounding and best crowd. Nashville had the best setlist. I was in sec 103 and there were no less then 50 empty seats. Im not sure whats up with that but I moved myself to an empty seat for an upgrade over the actual seat I bought.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That was a great show! n.n Better than the Lakewood Amphitheater show during the NINJA tour (though on part for the LITS show at Gwinett, if not as long.)

It was a hell of a set! All Time Low was funky as hell, and the visuals for Disappointed were insane! Also, I didn't expect A Warm Place or Somewhat Damaged (I've been wanting to hear both of those FOREVER!)

This is the set list, but the order is kind of funked because I was taking notes in the dark and my writing is all jumbled...

Copy of A
    Terrible Lie
    March of the Pigs
    Piggy
    All Time Low
    Disappointed
    Came Back Haunted
    The Frail / The Wretched
    Find My Way
    Various Methods of Escape
    Running
    Wish
    A Warm Place
    Somewhat Damaged
    Sanctified
    Survivalism
    The Big Come Down
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like A Hole

Even Deeper
    I'm Afraid of Americans
    Well, I'm Still Here / Black Noise
    Hurt

The encore is correct, the rest of the songs are right but badly out of order! If anyone knows the order, feel free to post it! I don't remember, my head is all tired now. XD

Interesting to note, Trent sang the chorus of Closer over the end of All Time Low. I don't know if that's common for the song or not. Somewhat Damaged was the With_Teeth era arrangement (with the quiet intro), Sanctified was the 2013 version.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Rice View Post
    Awesome show. "Disappointed", "Sanctified", "Even Deeper", and "Afraid of Americans" were my favorites. Really loved the visuals during most of the Hesitation Marks songs. I was up reall close for the first few songs, but got really pinned in after "March of the Pigs." Couldn't stand the for long so I moved farther back to have some room and enjoy the visuals. Thank God that one super drunk chick left before the show even started.
    ha, the drunk chick! Where were you on the rail? I was the dude with his brother who yelled at her during Godspeed's set because she was like leaning on the guy in front of her and then started elbowing my brother because she wanted front row, so I yelled at her, she flipped me off, then she left.

Sounded great, surprisingly good for the front rail. Poor turnout in the stands. The pit was really huge, though, and rowdy, there was so much moshing during March of the Pigs and at the end. Everyone knew all the words. Ended up squished on the rail pretty hard. Best show I've ever seen. Very violent, enjoyed the crowd being old school.
    Last edited by ninsp; 10-25-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A review noted the crowd being a throwback to the 90s. Gotta love it. Wasn't just us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope they play Burn, Into The Void and In Two in Orlando, if is not too much to ask

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm still working on my review of the show right now as I'm trying to remember what I saw. I'll admit that I don't remember the setlist correctly but I do remember that everyone seemed to have a good time though the section I was in in 111 where not everyone was enjoying themselves. Some just looked bored and that really put a damper for me. They were just so jaded while I was just into it and apparently, some of them enjoyed my enthusiasm. It was awesome and I have to say that a lot of the ladies at the show were mighty fine as one of the girls in my row kinda looked like Anna Kendrick.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

2013.10.24 - Atlanta, Georgia @ Philips Arena

I thought the crowd was meh. The seats filled out once nin came out but not a moment sooner.

I agree that TR was on fire during March of the pigs. One of his best performances of that song I've seen in person. Disappointed was great. I really wanted in two or satellite and at some point I realized those songs were not going to be played. Which made me sad. I still really enjoyed the show but those songs should be staples for this tour IMO because they sell the beauty of HM.

I read in other show threads that some people think the performance isn't loud enough and that is my complaint about last night's show. I noticed it especially during ATL and VMOE. They just didn't sound as big as they do on the record. I've never had that happen at a nin show before.

Have you guys seen this review?
    http://m.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/a...philips-arena/
    Meaty paws.

Ramsey, if you're reading this, it was great to see you & the wife. I hope we continue to run into each other at nin shows for years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If I were Trent I would eliminate While I'm Still Here and Running.

A setlist like this would please everyone:

Copy of A
    Terrible Lie
    March of the Pigs
    Piggy
    All Time Low
    Disappointed
    Came Back Haunted
    Find My Way
    Into The Void
    The Line Begins To Blur
    The Big Come Down
    In Two
    Survivalism
    A Warm Place
    Somewhat Damaged
    Wish
    Burn
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole

Encore:
    Echoplex
    Even Deeper
    Meet Your Master
    Black Noise
    Hurt

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The seats looked very meh. The pit was wild, and I was pleased at that.

A Warm Place live, btw? That's the most epic thing I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    The seats looked very meh. The pit was wild, and I was pleased at that.

A Warm Place live, btw? That's the most epic thing I've ever seen.
    The seats were fine. Everyone was up and dancing / singing / shouting from the first song. What else could they do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I had a great time at the show, in spite of a less than excited group in front of me in my section. Nin.com got us great seats - 3rd row just to the left side / front corner of the stage. It was fun watching Josh do his thing through the whole show. He's really adjusted well to his new role. Due to the curve of the screens, we couldn't see everything on the very front screen, but it turned out not to matter so much. We still had a great view of everything else. What was most disappointing to me was that during "A Warm Place," my whole section sat down, and stayed there for a while. I didn't want to be the one standing asshole, so I had to be seated during most of Somewhat Damaged. By the end of the song, at least the people behind me were standing again, so I didn't feel bad getting back up for the rest of the show, but the 2 rows in front of us remained seated for the rest of the show - even the encore. Before leaving the stage at the very end, Trent came over and waved in our direction, and even that couldn't make the first row stand up. Blech. Nevertheless, the setlist was a hell of a lot of fun - well balanced and everything sounded amazing. "I'm Afraid of Americans" was a nice surprise, and the show highlight for me. We also had a nice view down onto the pit, and it was huge and rough. Personally, I'm glad I didn't have to survive that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here are the best photos I got last night:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Drove 7 hours to see my first NIN concert....It was epic, great setlist and energy last night. And I got a great rail spot.

Some pics I took.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great show, the backup singers worked out much better than I expected and I loved Pino. I agree that "In Two" would've been amazing, but "A Warm Place" and "I'm Afraid Of Americans" made up for it. I thought the two ladies kind of play moshing then pushing Robin was pretty funny.

I was the only one in my group that enjoyed Godspeed, I thought they were pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was listining to godspeed on the way down to get a taste of their music, i think they have some great music...but not the type of music that fits well with a high energy rock show. So while i enjoyed their performance i can see why people would not like them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh man, those are some nice photos. Could I borrow them for my review? I'll give you guys credit on my review when I post it.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Great show, the new songs sounded fuckin' great live! I especially loved All Time Low and Running, Warm Place was a nice surprise, and Somewhat Damaged, I'm Afraid of Americans. Fuck, it was all great!

From where I was standing in the crowd the arena seemed sold out, but I read somewhere that it was half filled, I don't know. The crowd was a big MEH around me, I was pretty close to the stage on the left side and people were just standing motionless around me. Excuse me that my dancing fucks up your photos, assholes!!!

And I watched the entire godspeed set and it didn't blow my mind, but it was fine.

The 6 hour ride back home sucked today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh man, those are some nice photos. Could I borrow them for my review? I'll give you guys credit on my review when I post it.
    Sure, i really like some of the pics i got so here are some more i think you guys will appreciate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    You're welcome to use any of the ones I posted.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, thanks guys. I will definitely give you credit as I will see which photos I choose for the final review which will be posted in a few days at my music blog: http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Perfection!!!! I was so happy to see The Wretched live again too. I was on the far right rail (1st time on rail) and filmed a few clips, but security kept making me stop. This clip shows the band introductions and would have been so amazing if I could have finished I'm Afraid of Americans. More later. Still smiling from it two days later . . .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mistybliss View Post
    Perfection!!!! I was so happy to see The Wretched live again too. I was on the far right rail (1st time on rail) and filmed a few clips, but security kept making me stop. This clip shows the band introductions and would have been so amazing if I could have finished I'm Afraid of Americans. More later. Still smiling from it two days later . . .

I was really close to you. I was directly in front of the backup singers.

Second NIN show, second time to hear The Wretched. Still amazing.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This was #100 for me and Atlanta brought it in terms of energy & TR was quite receptive to the vibe. It was great seeing old tour pals and meeting new ones that I've seen around the block at past shows. I had a whole block of barricade buddies that were a delight to enjoy a show with.

It's always a treat to hear VMOE, but it seems like "Sanctified" & TBCD are becoming staples for the tour. Speaking of... where is "The Becoming" in the set? I thought it was teased on some instagram thing before the tour started.

Anyhow, I'll come back to this after the tour and attempt to distill what 100 shows feels like. Suffice it to say this show had a great crowd & vibe that would be worthy of such a marker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This was my 5th NIN show starting back mid 2000's, and probably the best one. The sound was excellent. I can't think of a time vocals have been so clear at a concert. All the additional band members at a lot to the show. The backup singers were solid. They performed for a lot more songs than I expected. Do I need backup singers at every NIN tour? No, but I like it for this one.

With most of the keyboard and guitar work taken over by others it gave Trent an opportunity to focus on singing and stagemanship. I think his voice sounded better than ever. What I really enjoyed was his stage prescence. Lots of dancing, jumping, clapping. It seemed like he enjoyed it more than I'd ever seen before.

The crowd seemed pretty into it. I was in 115 Row A, and when I looked back most people were standing most of the time. The arena was pretty full. They'd blocked out the 300 level seating, but I think they typically do that unless they have someone that can bring in 30k people.

Robin also got a nice extra applause, as he's an Atlanta native.

Last edited by GetReady; 10-28-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I read in other show threads that some people think the performance isn't loud enough and that is my complaint about last night's show. I noticed it especially during ATL and VMOE. They just didn't sound as big as they do on the record. I've never had that happen at a nin show before.
    This was my ninth NIN show since 2000. Overall it was fantastic, but I was curious about the volume thing as well. I was about 30 feet back from the stage dead center in general admission and the bass really felt lacking on the HM songs compared to what they sound like on the album. I thought maybe it just had to do with where I was standing (acoustics?), but there was a synth line in parts of I believe Wish or possibly Survivalism that was ridiculously deep and satisfying, and that was the only time it went as deep as I was expecting. Not so much a complaint from me as a curiosity. I recall the W_T and LITS tours slapping me in the face with awesome bass, and that just wasn't there last night. I thought maybe Trent just decided to ease off or go for a different sound, but it was a little surprising.

Other than that I was completely blown away by the show, and this is coming from someone who loves to watch his TOIOU Blu Ray on a 1080p projector over and over again to re-live that experience. I could see how building it up beyond that visually might be a letdown, but the visuals were absolutely fantastic and I loved Lisa and Sharlotte's additions to the songs; especially Even Deeper. Incredible. Surprisingly out of everything the visuals for Running were one of my highlights of the evening - they were completely insane and I loved it. If you look at videos from a weeks ago they also added some visual content to the end of that song that wasn't there a week or two ago. I found that pretty interesting.

As usual for NIN, it was a helluva show and I loved every second.