Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails concert attendance

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    I think they're focusing on the music more than they did with LITS (Trent's voice, for example).

Trent's voice was absolutely fucked for LITS when he got sick early in the tour. He's not what he once was (not too many people are as age takes a toll), but the time off seems to be ablessing in disguise.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    (I am disappointed that he couldn't choose something less predictable from WT and YZ, though.)
    I recall them playing The Line Begins to Blur at the L.A club show right before they took a break to do Tension. Hopefully it replaces THTF or Only as the WT song they play. Doubt it but....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hulk smash Trent would be embarrassing for a guy his age. Let's be honest. I wouldn't mind some guitar smashing, but whatever. I enjoyed the mix he had in With teeth and Lights in the Sky. That's not too much to ask. It's weird too because he's still like "March, pigs!" and stuff. I miss water flying around.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hulk smash Trent would be embarrassing for a guy his age. Let's be honest. I wouldn't mind some guitar smashing, but whatever. I enjoyed the mix he had in With teeth and Lights in the Sky. That's not too much to ask. It's weird too because he's still like "March, pigs!" and stuff. I miss water flying around.
    Yeah that weirds me out too. I was expecting them to drop songs like MOTP when the festival tour started, and every time I saw in on a stream I was a little meh about it. That song is great with hulk smash Trent, but its not as great with calm-er Trent. He still kinda rocks it out some, but just not enough for the sheer visceral-ness of the song.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    MOTP is the quintessential NIN song live. I'll be shocked if he ever drops it. And "he still kinda rocks it out some"?? Have you watched and heard him hit that ending note lately? Holy fuckballs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't think it would be embarrassing for him. He can do as he likes. But yeah, I wouldn't mind some guitar smashing and some anger either lol. Back during the Fragility 2.0 tour I got some water thrown at me. I had fought and squeezed my way up to the rail from all the way in the middle. It was my first NIN show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    MOTP is the quintessential NIN song live. I'll be shocked if he ever drops it. And "he still kinda rocks it out some"?? Have you watched and heard him hit that ending note lately? Holy fuckballs.
    I assume you mean the high pitched squealing "fucking pigs" at the end? I can deal with that but I could really do without the "OHHHH OOooo OOHHhhh Ooooo OOohhhhh oooo ohhh ooo ohh" that's become a staple. Sometimes I wish he'd be a little less predictable with the "live version" of every song. Every "Oh" and "Hey" and "Ooo" is almost always there in the same place, every time.

How this relates to not selling out shows, I don't know.... I guess my comment is as irrelevant to the thread as selling out shows is to what TR's motives for touring probably are.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Philips Arena was only half full. Upper bowl was tarped off. Bit disappointing, but the Philips Arena is GIGANTIC, so...it normally seats 21,500 for concerts so half full is still like 11K.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Toronto was packed. I consciously did a 360 while standing in GA just to see. And choosing to not listen to an album because of one song is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    And choosing to not listen to an album because of one song is ridiculous.
    I have confronted hardcore music fans on Facebook because of their comments dismissing the entire album as if it was all the sound and style of that song. Literally, educated music fans who have good taste have assumed that "Everything" is THE representation of new NIN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A good friend of mine owns every NIN album but Ghosts which he wouldn't buy because it was all instrumentals. He asked me what Hesitation Marks is supposed to be like before it came out and I said it was more electronic which he didn't like hearing at all. Then he went it bought it, gave it one listen and said it sucks and it's Trent's worst work. I don't think people have the attention span to give different styles an artist goes through a chance anymore, they just want to decide right off he bat is it good or is it bad, then onto the next new album by somebody else. I really had to give the new NIN a few good listens to get used to the change, but I love most of it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Excellent! Also my wife (thank the heavens) loves NIN and TR... she really likes TRs VOX in "everything" and the upbeat nature... and pointed out "well it does kinda get heavy too at that one part". It's one of her fav's from the new album. We both sing along out loud when in the car. I SURVIVVVVVVVVVVVEE EYEYEYEYE EYED... EVERYTHING"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    A good friend of mine owns every NIN album but Ghosts which he wouldn't buy because it was all instrumentals. He asked me what Hesitation Marks is supposed to be like before it came out and I said it was more electronic which he didn't like hearing at all. Then he went it bought it, gave it one listen and said it sucks and it's Trent's worst work.
    If I was like that, I would have written the album off after hearing Came Back Haunted. The first impression wasn't a good one. But when I heard the album on iTunes CBH was starting to grow on me — and by the time Everything came up I was open to something really different.

My rule in the old days was three listens before I passed judgement on an album.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    While the shows may not be completely sold out, if you go try to buy tickets for remaining Tension shows (as I just did trying to compensate for the Vegas surprise tweet from Rob) you'll see that there are only shitty seats left. Most NIN fans don't want to pay to watch ants blocked by pillars from a million miles away. I'd say they did pretty damn well selling this show. Did anyone see the video of Jesus and so on from Kanye's first show of his arena tour this week in Seattle? In the background you can see empty seats in the first several seating rows. And his album was quite well received.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It's true that the GA (floor) seats remained expensive, but there were a lot of cheap seats available in the last two weeks before the BOS and NY shows. Some going as low as $40. I was tracking things on StubHub just for shit of it. Looks like the ticket prices spiked up right after the tickets went on sale, then started a slow slide after the release of the album. Although the floor seats didn't change much in price.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    It's true that the GA (floor) seats remained expensive, but there were a lot of cheap seats available in the last two weeks before the BOS and NY shows. Some going as low as $40.
    i think that's more of an issue with stubhub. i wasn't tracking the boston show, but close to 10% of the brooklyn tickets were available (or at least listed) on stubhub at one point. i dunno what's normal, but that certainly seems weird to me. it seemed like that kept demand really high up until a few days before the concert, and then supply was really high. i'm sure some tickets sold for way over the ticket price, while some sold for way under . . not sure what that means for the profits of NIN and the venue.

but i know some concerts were really different. raleigh floor tickets were available on ticketmaster at least a few weeks before the show.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    While the shows may not be completely sold out, if you go try to buy tickets for remaining Tension shows (as I just did trying to compensate for the Vegas surprise tweet from Rob) you'll see that there are only shitty seats left.
    definitely keep an eye on (and post on) the relevant threads here and on forum.nin.com. if it's anything like previous shows, you have a reasonable chance of finding someone with a spare ticket. the only thing is that you might need to make travel plans before you actually find a ticket.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    but i know some concerts were really different.
    Definitely true. Cleveland, which had a smaller venue, was definitely more stable when it came to prices over time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN haven't been a sure thing to sell out arenas for over 15 years now, they still easily pull 8-10K each stop which is still quite impressive, but for them to sell out arenas/big amphitheaters they need to be paired with a pretty big band as well, thats why the NIN/JA tour looked close to sold out at every show opposed to LITS or Tension

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    While the shows may not be completely sold out, if you go try to buy tickets for remaining Tension shows (as I just did trying to compensate for the Vegas surprise tweet from Rob) you'll see that there are only shitty seats left. Most NIN fans don't want to pay to watch ants blocked by pillars from a million miles away.
    For all we know, they expected ticket sales would be soft because that's the way the business is these days. I keep hearing about bands who start panicking and slash ticket prices or even give them away. Perhaps TR doesn't consider it a failure if some of the cheap seats don't sell.

I noticed in a YouTube video from an upper level vantage point that the lighting "islands" blocked the view of Ilan (and probably the whole rear screen) when they were all the way down.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Maybe it's just me, but I really don't care about the visuals. Sure, LITS was awesome, as was all of the other visuals of previous shows, but it's not why I go to a NIN show. It's great that there's something there to give you that extra bit of immersion, but I feel the lights should complement the music. I think LITS kinda had the lights taking center stage at some moments. I love to see the stuff as much as anyone else, but at the end of the day I'm there for the music. Which is why I'd much rather see another Wave Goodbye style tour with a very random set list from night to night over a very strict, by-the-numbers set list every night that's ultimately restricted by the light show because, "Hey, we'd love to play that rare song you wanna hear, but we don't have a cool light effect cued up for it, so we'll have to stick to the two dozen or so songs that we have kick ass lights for."

All that said, I'm not "let down" by the light show. Of course, it was inevitable that Tension would be compared to LITS. I don't know where you guys heard TR say it was gonna be a continuation of LITS (I can only assume he did, since so many people are referencing it), but I also heard TR specifically say in an interview that because of the whole EDM craze with their insane light shows and stuff that he didn't want it to be a (slight paraphrasing) "Look what awesome gadgets I brought to the show" type thing, and that he was going for something a bit more modest to supplement the music.

With that in mind, I'm happy with the Tension shows thus far. The only nitpick I can muster is, while I love them, I'd really like him to drop the more "wild" songs like MOTP, since, it seems to me, he's going for a more mature, calm, brooding type of atmosphere with the slower songs and back-up singers.

Either way, $125 for two full shows in one night (QOTSA and NIN) is more than fair for me, seeing as how usually everything in Oz is double the American price. And while I love QOTSA about half as much as I do NIN (still a lot), when I made my decision to pay the $125 for the ticket it was based on the fact that NIN was coming to Oz, and this was well before QOTSA was announced as a touring partner, so I was more than prepared to pay the $125 for just NIN.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    It's great that there's something there to give you that extra bit of immersion, but I feel the lights should complement the music. I think LITS kinda had the lights taking center stage at some moments.
    Yeah, I feel much the same way, actually. I thought LITS was awesome, but honestly it was a bit too gadgety. Sure, it's cool that they can clear off pixels by having someone walk out with a flashlight, and controlling a drum machine in Echoplex from the main screen was nifty, but I too would rather have a show which put the focus squarely on the music rather than the cool effects. Which is to say, the Tension shows are amazing precisely because they cut back on the "interactivity" which many other folks might be missing. Not that I can't understand someone who might be a bit let down by the apparent simplification of the light show, but personally I prefer it that way.

(Though I must say that the LITS lighting during the YZ/Ghosts section, where the drums are offstage and they're just in a line in front of the screen, remains some of my favorite NIN lighting effects - that shit was awesome.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    (Though I must say that the LITS lighting during the YZ/Ghosts section, where the drums are offstage and they're just in a line in front of the screen, remains some of my favorite NIN lighting effects - that shit was awesome.)

That would be the only thing I would have really liked to see on this tour. Two Ghost-style songs with those visuals and instrument setup, then followed by "Me, I'm Not" and "Sanctified" for the electronic section in front of the screen. I could do without "Satellite" and "Running" in exchange for that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All I know is, for LITS I had no problem getting floor tickets for two shows through ticket master. The time for the staples center, I failed on both presales, and even though I was logged 30 minutes before the regular sale, I ended up with shitty upper level seats. I was shocked that they sold so many tickets that fast. They aren't a mega band like U2 or the Rolling Stones who can do multiple nights in the same arena, or even stadium shows. Frankly I was surprised they were named as headliners for the festival shows. I figured they'd be the "b" act for festivals.

So it seems like its going pretty well.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    When I think about how Killing Joke and Ministry are doing, this doesn't phase me at all.

(That was just to name two random big influences on NIN, and they also still seem to be doing just fine if you consider how their records sell these days, so NIN is obviously way, way, way in the clear as far as both record sales and concert ticket sales go. I also hope it wasn't an awful example, but I hope it still helped.)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    How they can have back-up singers and not play All the Love in the World is beyond me?
    It's so fucked up! No excuse on the planet would satisfy me.

Also @matt925, I think they headline festivals because they are a really hard act to follow. When it comes to festival line ups its not always about popularity but how well a band can hold an audience. For instance I have a hard time imagining anyone at Outside Lands following the show he put on. The sound was incredible. There is also the fact that often at festivals people get headliner spots out of reverence and respect for an older artist or some shit. Namsayin?
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 10-29-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The show in Colorado is sold out. I got an email from the local rock station saying they were going to be running a radio contest to win tickets to the sold out NIN show.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The show in Colorado is sold out. I got an email from the local rock station saying they were going to be running a radio contest to win tickets to the sold out NIN show.
    Thats a small venue, not surprising just like the LV shows.

Some people are referring to places like Detroit, Atlanta, Nashville, Penn State, Raleigh, etc that sold poorly and eventually cut off the top sections and sent those buyers to the lower bowl. On the flip side they have some great selling shows like LA, St. Paul, and Toronto (seriously- never knew NIN was in such demand there )

Goin to the Phoenix show that's selling like poo- wonder how that crowds gonna be. Oh well. Honestly looks OK from afar comparing to some other arena acts that are charging a lot less for their tix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Brooklyn show was packed to the rafters.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    TR even commented from the stage about how packed the ACC was in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's the cheapest price anyone has seen tickets being sold for on the day of the show?